Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Derek Stingley vs. Sauce Gardner

Why is this such a big deal around these parts?
Is it some around here want Sauce to be better so they can say they were right? 1. They're being used differently 2. Who's better wont be known for yrs.

Thats part of it…the other part is that Sauce plays in NY and the media there tends to overblow even the most inane/mediocre things when it comes to their sports teams..especially those of perennial losers like the jets. The other part to this is that the jets have been winning…another thing thats being overblown considering they’re only 3-2 in which the 3 wins were against Skylar Thompson, Jacoby Brissett & Mitch Trubisky. Highly doubt the Texans & Stingley would be getting any media if the Texans were in a similar position…

Why is this such a big deal around these parts?

Both Sauce and Stingley are top notch prospects.

Is it some around here want Sauce to be better so they can say they were right? 1. They're being used differently 2. Who's better wont be known for yrs.

Why?

Because Texans had a shot @ both
First, 1st. Round Pick since Tytus Howard in 2019.
Stingley coming off two years of limited playing time due to injuries.
Ahmad Gardner rising, raw CB with elite traits.

From PFF week 5

3. HOUSTON TEXANS: CB DEREK STINGLEY JR. LSU
Overall Rookie Grade: 50.4 (Rank: 22/33)
Principal Opponent: Marvin Jones Jr.
Week 5 Snaps: 74

Stingley snagged a key interception in the end zone after Jaguars quarterback Trevor Lawrence tried to force a pass that wasn’t really on, and he also broke up a critical pass on Jacksonville's final drive. Overall, he allowed six catches for 97 yards into his coverage from nine targets, but his positive plays were important ones.

4. NEW YORK JETS: CB AHMAD “SAUCE” GARDNER, CINCINNATI
Overall Rookie Grade: 67.3 (Rank: 10/33)
Principal Opponent: Jaylen Waddle
Week 5 Snaps: 67

Gardner's hit on Teddy Bridgewater‘s first dropback knocked the veteran out of the game, forcing the Dolphins to turn to seventh-round rookie Skylar Thompson through the air. Gardner took advantage by allowing three catches for 26 yards into his coverage and picking off one of the targets for an interception.

Why?

Because Texans had a shot @ both
First, 1st. Round Pick since Tytus Howard in 2019.
Stingley coming off two years of limited playing time due to injuries.
Ahmad Gardner rising, raw CB with elite traits.

From PFF week 5

And both of them appear to be really good players that are playing in different schemes, so it's kinda hard to really compare the 2. They're both great players though. Particularly if Stingley can stay healthy and at this point that hasn't been an issue.

Sauce isnt doing much..its just being blown up by media sources based in NY. Legit qb types have had no issues with sauce and the Jets defense. That bears out in their 2 losses.

Reactions: JB
Sauce isnt doing much..its just being blown up by media sources based in NY. Legit qb types have had no issues with sauce and the Jets defense. That bears out in their 2 losses.
I think that Aaron Rodgers will put Gardner to the test

I think that Aaron Rodgers will put Gardner to the test

hard to say b/c Rodgers doesnt have that go-to WR. If he did, i agree. Right now the jets are riding high based on circumstances and the pass rush is really whats keeping them in games. if that pass rush falters in any way tho, they’re toast.

Reactions: JB
And both of them appear to be really good players that are playing in different schemes, so it's kinda hard to really compare the 2. They're both great players though. Particularly if Stingley can stay healthy and at this point that hasn't been an issue.
Would help if Lovie could figure out how to stop the run, or Pep could learn how to score first & push a lead.

Gardner roasted Roger’s adding another notch on his resume (1 catch 8 yards 3 unbelievable breakups, a pick 6 called back and a physical tackling presence). Yeah not much only dominating cheese heads both on and off the field.
🧀

Gardner roasted Roger’s adding another notch on his resume (1 catch 8 yards 3 unbelievable breakups, a pick 6 called back and a physical tackling presence). Yeah not much only dominating cheese heads both on and off the field.
🧀
Sauce is good and had a good game, but the near pick was not special. The receiver missed the ball and it bounced up, he was at least 5 yards off the receiver and handled a bounce well. Jets D is coming along, Packers offense is not

🧀

the “pick 6” wasnt “called back” it wasn’t a pick 6 b/c the ball hit the ground before it popped up to Sauce….Replay clearly showed that…which is why it got reversed. Try to remain objective buddy. rodgers also has bums he’s throwing to and everyone has pretty much had their way with those WR’s….not even Rodgers can make them look good.

I see you left out that PI Sauce got called for tho when he got beat. I ain’t knocking him for that, it happens. But again lets try to be objective in our analysis if we’re gonna be doing this all season.

Sauce is good and had a good game, but the near pick was not special. The receiver missed the ball and it bounced up, he was at least 5 yards off the receiver and handled a bounce well. Jets D is coming along, Packers offense is not

It’s a process, but he is on a fast track. Leads by example, his positivity is infectious with teammates. Even as a rookie Sauce has assumed leadership role, gonna be hard to reel the sauce back now it’s out of the bottle.

the “pick 6” wasnt “called back” it wasn’t a pick 6 b/c the ball hit the ground before it popped up to Sauce….Replay clearly showed that…which is why it got reversed. Try to remain objective buddy. rodgers also has bums he’s throwing to and everyone has pretty much had their way with those WR’s….not even Rodgers can make them look good.

I see you left out that PI Sauce got called for tho when he got beat. I ain’t knocking him for that, it happens. But again lets try to be objective in our analysis if we’re gonna be doing this all season.

Fat chance.

Astros win Astros win

Hey that’s on Rodgers. He had to have that large contract. So let’s not go there with calling his receivers bums. That’s what he wanted lol

So you're OK with passing on Josh Allen to take Mayfield or Darnold? Passing on Mahomes for Trubisky or DW4?

Both teams play a mix of man and zone.

Sauce has been doing a great job in each.
Better than Stingley so far, that's for sure.

29th most targeted but only 81st in yards allowed.
135 yards in 30 targets (4.5 yards per) ranking 5th best out of 95 qualified CBs.
Only 13 catches allowed.
43.3% catch rate out of 95.
8 PDs, ranks 3rd best.

And he's not doing much?

That's laughable, dude.

Just got to tape. Rule on the field was interception (close call which was reviewed, could have gone either way) pick 6. Only knock on Sauce was he failed to dunk the ball over goalposts. He needs to work on that.

Also see Aaron Rodgers with some kinda of significant right hand injury. Hey, he’s a tough dude, first ballet hall of fame, but tell you what, it’s all about next. The other thing, Sauce is always around the ball. Fact. He’s going to get freebies well as earned. Jets defense has a trigger, deal with it!

Really impressed with Packer CB Jaire Alexander. Very tight coverage, competitive, first rd. pick 2017. Would target him, assuming still on 5th year option. Great technician. Lacks elite size but a baller.

Speaking of corners, JC Jackson. big payday from Chargers has been a disaster. 80 million corner via free agency, makes these rookie corners so attractive.

I’m not saying negative things about Stingley. Just need to see more. He’s on a five year rookie contract, plenty of time. Think he is more of Darrell Revis clone. Sound fundamentally, similar size, physical with good ball skills.

Ok, just saw the penalty on Sauce. Was declined. Instead personal foul on Jenkins for late hit to defenseless player.
Minimal jersey grab while ball in flight, just a tug, most times no call. Hooked over with left arm as ball received and punched out with right. Bang bang 50/50. But I can live with those calls.

29th most targeted but only 81st in yards allowed.
135 yards in 30 targets (4.5 yards per) ranking 5th best out of 95 qualified CBs.
Only 13 catches allowed.
43.3% catch rate out of 95.
8 PDs, ranks 3rd best.

And he's not doing much?

That's laughable, dude.

anyone who has watched the jets this year knows that pass rush is doing the heavy lifting & Sauce is benefiting from that….so its Not laughable at all.

Last edited:
Ok, just saw the penalty on Sauce. Was declined. Instead personal foul on Jenkins for late hit to defenseless player.
Minimal jersey grab while ball in flight, just a tug, most times no call. Hooked over with left arm as ball received and punched out with right. Bang bang 50/50. But I can live with those calls.

“minimal” enough for them to throw the flag. Only reason it was declined is b/c of tge other penalty on the jets defender…lol

Just got to tape. Rule on the field was interception (close call which was reviewed, could have gone either way) pick 6. Only knock on Sauce was he failed to dunk the ball over goalposts. He needs to work on that.

wasnt close at all…which is why it was reversed. The refs saw enough to reverse the call on the field….which as you know there has to be indisputable evidence to overturn it.

anyobe who has watched the jets this year knows that pass rush is doing the heavy lifting & Sauce is benefiting from that….so its Not laughable at all.

I was about to about ask this.

If our front four on defense allows the QB more time that allows he WRs to get more separation to get open. So if the Jets front four are better to the point they are getting to the QB faster than the QB is making throws where there wouldn’t be as much separation helping the CBs.

anyobe who has watched the jets this year knows that pass rush is doing the heavy lifting & Sauce is benefiting from that….so its Not laughable at all.
I watched all of the 10-15 min versions and a couple of full game.

The guy can mirror very well.
His movement is extremely fluid.
He reacts and recovers well.
Shows poise and acts like he belongs.

It's laughable you can't see those things.

Sauce is legit.

Hey that’s on Rodgers. He had to have that large contract. So let’s not go there with calling his receivers bums. That’s what he wanted lol
I was about to about ask this.

If our front four on defense allows the QB more time that allows he WRs to get more separation to get open. So if the Jets front four are better to the point they are getting to the QB faster than the QB is making throws where there wouldn’t be as much separation helping the CBs.

its really a hallmark of Saleh’s defense. He’s very agressive with his front 7 on blitzs and whatnot. Those guys get home frequently the cb’s dont have to cover as long on the backend and they can be super agressive b/c the structural integrity of the coverage remains in tact.

its really a hallmark of Saleh’s defense. He’s very agressive with his front 7 on blitzs and whatnot. Those guys get home frequently the cb’s dont have to cover as long on the backend and they can be super agressive b/c the structural integrity of the coverage remains in tact.

So this is still a team sport?

I watched all of the 10-15 min versions and a couple of full game.

The guy can mirror very well.
His movement is extremely fluid.
He reacts and recovers well.
Shows poise and acts like he belongs.

It's laughable you can't see those things.

Sauce is legit.

thats the thing…i never said he wasnt good..i just said hes not doing a whole lot…not being asked to anyway & he hasn’t been. The only legit QB/WR combo he & the Jets have has faced is Burrow and the boys…& they had no problems with Sauce…Higgins ate well against him.

It's easier to get pressure when you've got guys like Williams/Franklin/Johnson rushing the passer.

thats the thing…i never said he wasnt good..i just said hes not doing a whole lot…not being asked to anyway & he hasn’t been. The only legit QB/WR combo he & the Jets have has faced is Burrow and the boys…& they had no problems with Sauce…Higgins ate well against him.
3 catches out of 5 targets in the Cincy game for 60 yards. 2 PDs
Burrow had 275 yards total.
2 catches out of 7 targets against Rodgers for 20 yards.

The boy did not allow any TD.

That's plenty of good work.

You're just trying to diminish his accomplishment, that is all.

Back