Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Derek Stingley vs. Sauce Gardner

Porky

Hall of Fame
I think people have caught on to the fact that the “sauce” moniker has garnered him more praise than he probably deserves as “the” premier CB in the league. I been saying it for a while now & have been labeled “Ms. Stingley” by at least 1 person on this site…but Lots of guys could do what Sauce does with the talent he has surrounding him on that defense. That doesn’t make u an elite. What does is getting your hands on the ball and getting your offense extra possessions in addition to what he’s doing. Gotta make qbs pay.. & he just doesn’t do that when he has the opportunities to.

As good as he can be in coverage at times, he just doesn’t make a whole lot of game changing plays & that’s only partially b/c qb’s throw at him less…which is marginally less than most other CB’s at best…but this is the excuse lots of his fanboys use to explain away the lack of impact plays.

His comp is Richard Sherman who like Sauce didn’t have elite speed but used his length effectively to beast at the position. But What made him elite wasn’t PBU’s which he had a lot of too. if you go back and look at his numbers, even when he was at his peak & qbs were aware of how good he was & we’re weary of throwing to his side, when they were, he was making them pay and as a result was pulling down at least 3-4 ints on average a year. Sauce has 2 in nearly 30 games.

There’s a difference between being in position to knock a ball down and being in position to intercept & if you’ve been watching Stingley over this timespan he’s almost always in position to intercept. Dude was legitimately upset last week that he didn’t intercept Levis on that sideline pass he batted down b/c he got both hands on it. His route recognition has picked up..so much so that he’s began baiting QBs..yeah he’ll get beat from time to time, but contrary to the Sauce brigade, every CB does b/c elite pass/ball placement beats elite coverage everyday and twice on Sunday.
that was Mrs. Stingley. Now it’s Ms. Stingley? I thought you were married. Turns out you are a harlot!

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
OK Speedy thanks for informing me of those stats which certainly does tend to lower any prestige that might be associated with Pitre's rookie season "accomplishments", but never the less I think it's still fair to say his rookie season was a relative success ?
There's no question he has regressed since his rookie season. Why? Who knows. I do remember he injured his chest on opening day vs the Ravens. Missed week 2. Did that have anything to do with the regression? Again, who knows. Supposedly, Pitre was tearing it up in camp.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
There's no question he has regressed since his rookie season. Why? Who knows. I do remember he injured his chest on opening day vs the Ravens. Missed week 2. Did that have anything to do with the regression? Again, who knows. Supposedly, Pitre was tearing it up in camp.
Alright good to know, TY !

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Stingley has 5 picks - guess how many Gardner has ...
Just saw a new all-pro team for the current season and Gardner got all-pro second team and from what I can find he's still sitting @ 0 (zero) for picks and of course his team is a flop this year so why does Gardner get this honor: (1) he's got a cool nickname (2) he plays in the biggest market in the country ?

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Just saw a new all-pro team for the current season and Gardner got all-pro second team and from what I can find he's still sitting @ 0 (zero) for picks and of course his team is a flop this year so why does Gardner get this honor: (1) he's got a cool nickname (2) he plays in the biggest market in the country ?
He got all-pro first team..

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I think there's much more credibility to the all-pro selection process (or should be) vs the pro-bowl process.
But the truth is Stingley had a much better year - hands down, than the Jets corner.
It's still a popularity contest voted on be writers. There is more voting members in the northeast

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
1st time Meco let him travel for the whole game. Cooper was injured tho but Sting still locked him down.
Yeah I think I saw a stat that said he won like 80% of the match ups against Cooper. Add to that couple of weeks ago he regularly was beating Nuk in a way I don't know I have ever seen anyone do. Without a doubt Stingley has HoF level talent, just hope he stays healthy enough to have a HoF level career.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Wow.

That's a lot more of a commendation for him than I remember you ever handing out.

I'm not saying that you didn't say it, but that's the first time I remember reading this. You may have written that before in a thread I didn't read, or in a post that was mostly about his lack of health.
I really wanted them to draft Stingley, he's going to be a generational CB. That was until I talked to CnD about his Lisfranc injury. Then I started looking at other potential guys to pick at 1-3.

I still have questions about his future health.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I really wanted them to draft Stingley, he's going to be a generational CB. That was until I talked to CnD about his Lisfranc injury. Then I started looking at other potential guys to pick at 1-3.

I still have questions about his future health.
Yes and his college injuries did play a factor. I'm just seeing the guy playing loose and like he belongs on the field. How long he will be allowed to play like that who knows?

I think Nelson had his fifth interception and pretty much guaranteed himself an extension.
On another subject and probably already covered by someone else, CJ completed passes to seven different players.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yes and his college injuries did play a factor. I'm just seeing the guy playing loose and like he belongs on the field. How long he will be allowed to play like that who knows?

I think Nelson had his fifth interception and pretty much guaranteed himself an extension.
On another subject and probably already covered by someone else, CJ completed passes to seven different players.
Offenses seem to run better when Stroud spreads the ball around. Although Collins is a WR1. I'm spending cap space tho off-season to sign him long term.

I'm bringing back Nelson and the only way I'm going defense in the 1st is if DeJohn is available at 1-21. I'm putting him at FS and letting him roam.

I'm not worried about the cap because Caserio is very good at managing the cap.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
It’s the playoffs. You have the option of healthy Stingley or Sauce. Who do you want?

We got a taste of Stingley Island last Saturday shadowing Amari Cooper. And that was pretty awesome :)
Stingley is starting to come into his own and I think Demeco has been instrumental in bringing that out of him - and not just him, but most of the defense has responded to DR as well.