Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Demaryius Thomas traded to Texans

4, 3 and 2. That's proof he's not a deep threat? Lol OK. What a sorry ass trade then.
No, what I should have said is that he's not a big deep threat as he used to be.
And that Sanders and Sutton are being used to run deep routes more often than DT this year.
If you just look up the route charts on Next Gen Stats (even though Sutton's charts are not available for all weeks.)

Or perhaps look up some articles written by the Broncos news media and fan sites, like this one.

https://predominantlyorange.com/2018/09/17/denver-broncos-consider-josh-gordon/

No, what I should have said is that he's not a big deep threat as he used to be.
And that Sanders and Sutton are being used to run deep routes more often than DT this year.
If you just look up the route charts on Next Gen Stats (even though Sutton's charts are not available for all weeks.)

Or perhaps look up some articles written by the Broncos news media and fan sites, like this one.

You know what makes the Texans receivers deep threats? It's when the OL breaks and Watson is able to move around and buy time......time needed for the receivers to get past coverage. Thomas may be a big benefactor here b/c of the attention Hops is going to demand. I think the two Jordan's could be factors as well b/c when Watson starts using them DB's are going to need to account for them as well. The reality, these receivers can get open when Watson is on the move and I expect DT's being a savvy veteran can find ways to exploit his opportunities.

BTW, I think you overplay a few things there.

It's not like a receiver lines up at the LOS, runs a straight line without any contact from the CB.

And the QB has a computer that can calculate all of that instantaneously, accounting for the number of steps on the drop back on a particular pass (while also accounting for the pass rush).

The job of a good NFL receiver (one that makes 14M/yr) is to make the plays of this type.
I would even call this one a routine catch.
Making a play (as a playmaker) is a different thing.

Yes, it was a good catch, but it's a catch that any receiver that gets paid that much is supposed to catch, when he wasn't really challenged by the CB.

You're right about the numbers, as Sanders was used more and in various ways.

Pull up the route charts from NextGen Stats.
I'm on my phone and it's a bit troublesome to do it.
You will see that Sanders run many more deep routes (but also more screen plays.)

You claim DT doesn't beat the corner on the play until the corner starts trying to locate the ball, DT gains a step and a half to 2 steps before Robert's ever turns his head, if Keenum laid the ball out in front of DT Robert's wouldn't have been in any position to make a play on the ball. DT did a good job of lulling the corner to sleep, you see him change speeds right about the time Robert's start trying to press him towards the sidelines. He isn't as fast as he use to be he has to be crafty now. No he is not a big time deep threat like Fuller was, I dont think anyone here is arguing that. You also claimed he isn't physical anymore, yet on that play Roberts made contact with the ball, and DT's hand/arm while swatting and also their bodies collided when both were going for the ball. DT still won made the catch, and scored the touchdown despite a poorly placed ball.

If you think I'm arguing that DT is still the #1 receiver he use to be I'm not, but he is still a more than capable #2 who is going to benefit a lot from the coverage Hops gets, and Watson playing QB.

I don't understand why 'we' should look up stuff to support 'your' claims

You claim DT doesn't beat the corner on the play until the corner starts trying to locate the ball, DT gains a step and a half to 2 steps before Robert's ever turns his head, if Keenum laid the ball out in front of DT Robert's wouldn't have been in any position to make a play on the ball. DT did a good job of lulling the corner to sleep, you see him change speeds right about the time Robert's start trying to press him towards the sidelines. He isn't as fast as he use to be he has to be crafty now. No he is not a big time deep threat like Fuller was, I dont think anyone here is arguing that. You also claimed he isn't physical anymore, yet on that play Roberts made contact with the ball, and DT's hand/arm while swatting and also their bodies collided when both were going for the ball. DT still won made the catch, and scored the touchdown despite a poorly placed ball.

If you think I'm arguing that DT is still the #1 receiver he use to be I'm not, but he is still a more than capable #2 who is going to benefit a lot from the coverage Hops gets, and Watson playing QB.
You're right.
I had said that DT can still be a great no. 2 (especially if he limits his drops) or at least a very good number 2 (if he still has drop issue).

Let's forget about how we saw that play a little differently.

You know what makes the Texans receivers deep threats? It's when the OL breaks and Watson is able to move around and buy time......time needed for the receivers to get past coverage. Thomas may be a big benefactor here b/c of the attention Hops is going to demand. I think the two Jordan's could be factors as well b/c when Watson starts using them DB's are going to need to account for them as well. The reality, these receivers can get open when Watson is on the move and I expect DT's being a savvy veteran can find ways to exploit his opportunities.
Anything can happen, I agree.
If anything, DT could have a better second half, partially due to the fact that the Texans should have an easier schedule in the second half (as far as opponents' defenses go - some of them seem to be on the decline this year due to injuries) and that he could see more opportunities with the receiver situation here in Houston without a guy like Sutton, and the Texans don't rely on the run game as much as the Broncos (because Miller isn't as quick and dynamic as Lindsay.)

And DT should be hungry to prove his worth.

The man is only 30. Lol some people make it seems like he's well over 40. The media did a great job again spewing their own personal agendas. Got people actually believing the man lost a few steps.
No, I only said that he was similar to AJ in his last year here with the Texans (but to a lesser degree.)
AJ was still being targeting heavily since Hopkins was just a rookie, and the Texans did not have a viable third option.

With Sutton (and Patrick), the Broncos do.

If the Texans still have Fuller, they wouldn't have gone for DT.
That's all I'm saying.

The man is only 30. Lol some people make it seems like he's well over 40. The media did a great job again spewing their own personal agendas. Got people actually believing the man lost a few steps.

The media very well could've been carrying the water for Elway who was trying to get out of paying DT 14 mil next season. This stuff happens.

Anything can happen, I agree.
If anything, DT could have a better second half, partially due to the fact that the Texans should have an easier schedule in the second half (as far as opponents' defenses go - some of them seem to be on the decline this year due to injuries) and that he could see more opportunities with the receiver situation here in Houston without a guy like Sutton, and the Texans don't rely on the run game as much as the Broncos (because Miller isn't as quick and dynamic as Lindsay.)

And DT should be hungry to prove his worth.

Or it could be as simple as you're wrong. But you've done a great job of setting yourself up an out if DT succeeds.

No, I only said that he was similar to AJ in his last year here with the Texans (but to a lesser degree.)
AJ was still being targeting heavily since Hopkins was just a rookie, and the Texans did not have a viable third option.

That's all I'm saying

Who is arguing this point? You're Keenum love is making you try really hard to show that DT is trash now that he isn't catching balls from Case.

Admit it, you're going to be very happy this weekend if he beats the Texans.

Who is arguing this point? You're Keenum love is making you try really hard to show that DT is trash now that he isn't catching balls from Case.

This is what it really all comes down too.

Keenum > Texans

That's all I'm saying.

I'd like for him to have a good game.
It's like Archie Manning watching his sons play.
But yeah, when the Colts were having a good season and the Giants were needing a win, I bet Archie would have cheered a little harder for the Giants.
If both were having the same amount of success, it would have been simply a joy watching them play.
If it was Kolb or Andre Ware playing, I would have cheered for the Texans.

That's all I'm saying.

Thomas wasnt even the first choice. It was Desean Jackson and it would have been a seamless transfer since Fuller and Jackson offer the same over the top speed. Thomas was the backup plan, and hopefully he will be better than Coates, Smyth or Coutee in terms of effectiveness because either of those 3 show more top end speed than Thomas does these days. Quantify the amount of drops Thomas has this year and he has alot to prove not only to Texans fans, but to Broncos fans who are themselves saying he is on the downside. Only Texan fans are whitewashing the acquisition into a huge deal. Thomas could be relatively ineffective for all we know, biggest takeaway for me personally was that Gaine acknowledged a problem and acted. It shows resolve in your GM and makes me trust his process more. Perfect storm is this lights a fire in DT and he goes Anquan Boldin for the last few years of his career, and we end up the beneficiaries.

You're right.
I had said that DT can still be a great no. 2 (especially if he limits his drops) or at least a very good number 2 (if he still has drop issue).

Let's forget about how we saw that play a little differently.

Its important to note that DT was behind the cb...IOW, he had the cb beat...

There are a variety of ways to beat your man deep & having elite top end speed is just 1 way.

I believe DT still has plenty left..& i believe he'll show it right off the bat this sunday too.......if he plays.

I'd like for him to have a good game.
It's like Archie Manning watching his sons play.
But yeah, when the Colts were having a good season and the Giants were needing a win, I bet Archie would have cheered a little harder for the Giants.
If both were having the same amount of success, it would have been simply a joy watching them play.
If it was Kolb or Andre Ware playing, I would have cheered for the Texans.

So what you are saying is, you think of yourself as Case's father?

Its important to note that DT was behind the cb...IOW, he had the cb beat...

There are a variety of ways to beat your man deep & having elite top end speed is just 1 way.

I believe DT still has plenty left..& i believe he'll show it right off the bat this sunday too.......if he plays.
Yes, he was beyond the CB; I had never said otherwise.

So what you are saying is, you think of yourself as Case's father?
I'm certainly old enough. LOL.
You know I had defended guys from Myers to Kareem, Foster, Newton, Brown, Bouye, etc. to various degrees - basically saying they weren't "trash", that they worth maybe a nickel, a dime, a quarter, whatever the particular case might be.

Where did I say that DT is trash?

Fuller can be close to Fuller as long has he mostly sticks to straight ahead speed which should not be affected. What will be limited for a while in 2019 is his ability to cut........his routes will be more limited.
One thing that I should qualify............As I've posted in the past, a player with previous ACL is at ~20% risk of having either an ipsilateral (same side) ACL or contralateral (other side) ACL...........furthermore, a player with a history of ACL rupture is ~ 3 times the risk for incurring a subsequent hamstring injury.

Steelb, guys.

Check this out.
I had said that the Broncos can go deep.
Here's the proof.

Keenum is tied for 2nd in the league with completed passes over 40 yards with 9.

https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/...role-i-don-t-flinch-from-situations-like-this

I charted them, and 4 were to Sanders, 3 to Sutton, and 2 to DT.
You should be able to see them all on YouTube game highlights.

That's what I meant by DT not being the deep threat for the Broncos this year.
To be honest, if you look at his career, his rac was what made him special for 4 or 5 yrs. Yes he was a 4.3 guy, but so was Andre. If asked for a DT highlight, the slant in the playoffs vs Pittsburgh is the one. As a guy his size , to be able to catch a smoke screen and break tackles with quickness was his best trait. He's not that anymore. He's still big and fast, but his explosion isn't the same.

To be honest, if you look at his career, his rac was what made him special for 4 or 5 yrs. Yes he was a 4.3 guy, but so was Andre. If asked for a DT highlight, the slant in the playoffs vs Pittsburgh is the one. As a guy his size , to be able to catch a smoke screen and break tackles with quickness was his best trait. He's not that anymore. He's still big and fast, but his explosion isn't the same.

Yep, he can still catch the slant. He just cant take it to the house anymore. He canstill make plays deep. He's much different than Fuller but can still make as many plays as Fuller has and that includes catches in the RZ plus blocking down field.

Yeah, it's the law of nature.

(And I've never had any problem reading/understanding your post - even when I slightly disagreed with a certain minor technicality.)

I'm certainly old enough. LOL.
You know I had defended guys from Myers to Kareem, Foster, Newton, Brown, Bouye, etc. to various degrees - basically saying they weren't "trash", that they worth maybe a nickel, a dime, a quarter, whatever the particular case might be.

Spot on there, used to love our debates..... well except the KJ debate for a little while when I went awol. Good to see your still at it !

Chris Wesseling

✔@ChrisWesseling

Demaryius Thomas to @MikeSilver on Broncos going passive at the end, settling for long FG attempt: "That's what they do over there. I ain't a part of that no more. We like to win over here” http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000984814/article/thomas-texans-leave-broncos-behind-we-like-to-win-over-here …

11:59 PM - Nov 4, 2018
Did he even play in the game? LOL.

Did he know how the Texans won the game, and 4 other games this season?

Bunch of FGs; that was how.

Sounds a bit like sour grape to me, to be honest. Must be human nature.

Does anyone know why he ran off the field so fast after the game? He said so in a news conference but I was unable to understand it. No captions.

thought i heard somewhere he was pretty emotional and wanted to avoid interviews. He had some high and low moments. Personally, surprised he did not mix with his ex teammates

Did he even play in the game? LOL.

Did he know how the Texans won the game, and 4 other games this season?

Bunch of FGs; that was how.

Sounds a bit like sour grape to me, to be honest. Must be human nature.

Yeah, because the Texans were playing for a punt. They were lucky to win that game. Every 3 te set was a run play. He didn't change anything out of that set. Obrien is not a good play caller at all.

Chris Wesseling

✔@ChrisWesseling

Demaryius Thomas to @MikeSilver on Broncos going passive at the end, settling for long FG attempt: "That's what they do over there. I ain't a part of that no more. We like to win over here” http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000984814/article/thomas-texans-leave-broncos-behind-we-like-to-win-over-here …

11:59 PM - Nov 4, 2018

It's like Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark saying "I'm sorry, this is the Fun-Vee. The Hum-Drum-Vee is back there."

Texans' Demaryius Thomas critical of John Elway, Broncos' coaches
Aaron Wilson , Houston Chronicle Nov. 6, 2018
Newly acquired Texans wide receiver Demaryius Thomas unloaded Monday in a radio interview during which he was critical of Denver Broncos general manager John Elway, coach Vance Joseph and receivers coach Zach Azzani.

Thomas told Orange & Blue radio in Denver that Joseph lied to him and said that the Broncos weren't going to trade him. Thomas was traded to the Texans hours before the NFL trade deadline last Tuesday.

"When he said that to me, I said, 'How is this not true?'" Thomas said. "My agent [Todd France] called me today and said Elway wanted a fifth-round pick for me. 'So, we're telling stories to each other now? I thought we were going to be men about this.'

"Listening to that from him and then another couple of coaches coming up to me saying, 'It's all fake; it's all fake,' and then it really happens, it's like, 'Man.' It is what it is, though."

He caught three passes for 61 yards in an emotional 19-17 win over the Broncos in Denver on Sunday and was the recipient of a video tribute and a large thank you banner.

Thomas was offended prior to the trade, though, when he began hearing that Elway and Joseph were blaming him, a five-time Pro Bowl selection, for the decline of the passing game.

"You know what bothers me — I don't want to stir any pot — but it bothers me I had people from Denver saying like, 'They really said they got rid of you because you were the problem on offense and they said they wanted to better the offense,''' Thomas said. "I'm like, 'Really, bro?' People just kept stirring it on. I heard they were saying that Vance was saying something, and Elway was saying something. I did so much for this organization and never had nothing bad to say about anybody.

"None of the players I played with. I just did my job and kept it as professional as I could. For you all to say that I was one of the reasons that the offense wasn't going, and say this and that, man, that hurt."
THE REST OF THE STORY

next game minimal pressure and should know more than three plays. This guy could be really good with 'Old number four' passing to him.

edit: DT couldn't save Denver's coach but could be part in saving OBrien.

Back