Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Deandre Hopkins, already number 2 all-time Texans offensive player ?

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Not a particularly popular pick around here either. Quite a few wanted Cordarrelle Patterson or Justin Hunter if a WR was going to be picked there.
GUILTY AS CHARGED! I was not fond of the pick AT ALL and chastised Rick Smith to no end, favoring the 'much faster' Cordarrelle Patterson. Thank God Im not in charge of any football operations huh (and many other dudes around here too).

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Yuuup. And guess who drafted him? Satan himself! LOL .. looking at his combine numbers it was a PHENOMENAL job by Rick Smith to pluck Hopkins out of that draft in that selection. Faith in his scouts and in his process. Nabbed a hall of famer at pick 27 insane.
And he did so while other GM's were trying to navigate the minefield that was one of the worst drafts in history. Score.

frethack

Rookie
And he did so while other GM's were trying to navigate the minefield that was one of the worst drafts in history. Score.
And then went on to pick:

D.J. Swearinger (the consumate team player)
Brennan Williams
Sam Montgomery (...after his coach warned anyone who would listen NOT to take him)
Trevardo Williams (who?)
DQ (Couldnt have predicted Leukemia...RS and Kubs get a pass)
Alan Bonner
Chris Jones
Ryan Griffin (Craptastic at everything, but at least better than Garrett Graham)

2013 was a terrible draft for everyone. Somehow we ended up with its best player (Hopkins) and another very good player (Tyrann Mathieu). Maybe we get Bell too!

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
Not a particularly popular pick around here either. Quite a few wanted Cordarrelle Patterson or Justin Hunter if a WR was going to be picked there.
I remember that. I hadn’t heard of Hopkins myself. I generally stay away from draft discussions as I don’t really watch too much college football outside of my favorite teams and “big” games. I usually just go... “welcome to the Texans whoever you are!”

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Brennan Williams
Sam Montgomery (...after his coach warned anyone who would listen NOT to take him)
Trevardo Williams (who?)
Alan Bonner
Chris Jones
Ryan Griffin (Craptastic at everything, but at least better than Garrett Graham)

2013 was a terrible draft for everyone. Somehow we ended up with its best player (Hopkins) and another very good player (Tyrann Mathieu). Maybe we get Bell too!
What a sh!tshow and the GM got 4 more yrs, including another 4-12.

Uncle Rico

Brennan Williams
Trevardo Williams (who?)
Alan Bonner
Chris Jones

Swearinger is a pro bowl alternate (not anybodys fault he's a headcase i guess - some teams can work with them some cant)
Ryan Griffin is STILL this teams starting TE - kind of funny since OBrien and Gaine are so 'aligned' and yet they still cant figure that position out and how to utilize it and are 'stuck' with a Rick Smith guy LOL

Hopkins is a future hall of famer.

Weed smoking brothers in Montgomery and Williams were disappointing no doubt one was a compensatory pick and the other the 4th rounder. In hindsight Travis Kelce, Jordan Reed, Bahktiari, or Micah Hyde should have been targeted.

Rick Smith was dead nuts when it came to first rounders and his 2nd rounders have produced plenty of good NFL talent as well. Its really a disservice to reality and the history of this team to blame Smith for what ails it currently. This team is still stocked with Smith players, and will forever be grateful for the one selection of Deshaun Watson. His own rogue selection according to some will be the one that makes the biggest impression for the next decade. The biggest area of need in the OL - was once stocked adequately in guys like Duane Brown, Brandon Brooks, Ben Jones .. all were run off by the current coach or late owner, so in essence much of what troubles this team and this coach is of his own doing. We'll see if they can find similar type linemen because so far spending a 3rd on Rankin looks like a waste - still early though.

frethack

Rookie
Swearinger is a pro bowl alternate (not anybodys fault he's a headcase i guess - some teams can work with them some cant)
Ryan Griffin is STILL this teams starting TE - kind of funny since OBrien and Gaine are so 'aligned' and yet they still cant figure that position out and how to utilize it and are 'stuck' with a Rick Smith guy LOL

Hopkins is a future hall of famer.

Weed smoking brothers in Montgomery and Williams were disappointing no doubt one was a compensatory pick and the other the 4th rounder. In hindsight Travis Kelce, Jordan Reed, Bahktiari, or Micah Hyde should have been targeted.

Rick Smith was dead nuts when it came to first rounders and his 2nd rounders have produced plenty of good NFL talent as well. Its really a disservice to reality and the history of this team to blame Smith for what ails it currently. This team is still stocked with Smith players, and will forever be grateful for the one selection of Deshaun Watson. His own rogue selection according to some will be the one that makes the biggest impression for the next decade. The biggest area of need in the OL - was once stocked adequately in guys like Duane Brown, Brandon Brooks, Ben Jones .. all were run off by the current coach or late owner, so in essence much of what troubles this team and this coach is of his own doing. We'll see if they can find similar type linemen because so far spending a 3rd on Rankin looks like a waste - still early though.
I didnt cast blame on anyone in particular...just putting the 2013 draft in context. For drafts I place the most responsibility on the GM and scouting staff, but the head coach and coaching staff get some love/hate as well, as they are intimately involved in draft decisions in the Texans organization. 2013 was a bad draft for just about everyone, and we made out better than most getting Hopkins. Gaine/O'Brien will need a couple of drafts to remake the team into whatever image they have (assuming they do well enough to warrant a couple of drafts). Hopefully that image is better than the one held by Smith/O'Brien/Kubiak.

And I whole heartedly agree with your second statement. A few more years and the national media will also be saying "Future Hall of Famer, Deandre Hopkins".

Uncle Rico

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club