Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Deandre Hopkins, already number 2 all-time Texans offensive player ?

Andre80

Practice Squad
I love Foster and I know how good Duane Brown was for years ...

I mean, saturday was an exemple but... He’s just always there when we need him and he continues to make incredible catches, game after game....

I’m starting to fear the moment when he’ll be gone

So, is he number 2 already behind Andre ?

Edit : And he is very consistent year after year (statistically speaking)

dream_team

Hall of Fame

I mean, saturday was an exemple but... He’s just always there when we need him and he continues to make incredible catches, game after game....

I think he’s trending to be #2. Right now, I’d go Dre, Duane, Nuk, Foster.

Arian would be higher, just the longevity wasn’t there. And these past two seasons made me appreciate Duane a lot more.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
AJ had strength and size, Nuk has hands the like we've never seen in Houston before. And very rarely in all of the NFL.

I'd put AJ and Nuk on the same footing. But Foster is still my favorite Texan of all time, right after Watt of course.

Reactions: JB

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
AJ had speed, strength and size, Nuk has hands the like we've never seen in Houston before. And very rarely in all of the NFL.

I'd put AJ and Nuk on the same footing. But Foster is still my favorite Texan of all time, right after Watt of course.
Fify

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
Hopkins: 93 games, 507 catches, 7,186 yards, 47 TD's, 14.17 yds/catch

Andre: 93 games, 524 catches, 7,013 yards, 37 TD's, 13.38 y/catch.

Just posted this in the Random thought thread, before I saw this thread.
Hence why he’s my #1. It’s gonna take 3-4 years of mediocre play from Hopkins for Andre to surpass him in TDS. Throw the ball in Hopkins’ general area... he’s gonna catch it. Andre? Probably but also maybe not.

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
two different beasts, but both are beasts. Dre was an early version of a LB playing WR. many of those guys now. Dre worked at his craft.

hop is isnt the physical freak but man he is so fluid when making a catch.

love them both, speaking of i dont have a hop jersey. need to get one

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I disagree. He set this franchise back a decade. Osweiler happened -because- of Carr.
I don't know, with Carr at least we got 5 seasons out of him and we were an expansion team at the time so everyone was trying to figure it out. If Carr hadn't have gotten his face pushed in all the time, 267 sacks in five years, he might have been decent. Some of that was on him no doubt but still that's a lot of hits to take and his 2003 season was the worst of the bunch. I think he got very gun shy.

Osweiler though we got one season, and not even a full season, and his O line wasn't good but at least he usually had 3 seconds to throw the ball.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
I disagree. He set this franchise back a decade. Osweiler happened -because- of Carr.
This is something I tend to dwell on (maybe not the most productive use of my time). Missed 1st rounders create a ripple effect because the spots they should have been locking down have to be addressed later. David Carr's selection should have gone to Julius Peppers. Had the Texans drafted Peppers they wouldn't have been looking for Mario Williams just 4 years later. Had they run with Tony Banks for a year or so while building their team they may have chosen to go with Ben Roethlisberger at QB in 2004, Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers in 2005 and so on.

That team doesn't need Mario Williams or Vince Young in 2006 so they probably pick Reggie Bush but then they're probably not picking that high so maybe we end up with someone else like Ferguson or Ngata. No telling.

Drafting poorly costs a team so much.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
When it's all said and done Hopkins will be better than AJ was (barring injury). Partially that's because of his talent which is considerable but also it's because he's got AJ's accomplishments to try and surpass. AJ arrived here without a mentor and without a QB. I'm sure he focused on being the best he could be but real competition brings out the best in players and Hopkins is competing with AJ's legacy.

All AJ had to do was top Corey Bradford to be the best we've ever had.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
This is something I tend to dwell on (maybe not the most productive use of my time). Missed 1st rounders create a ripple effect because the spots they should have been locking down have to be addressed later. David Carr's selection should have gone to Julius Peppers. Had the Texans drafted Peppers they wouldn't have been looking for Mario Williams just 4 years later. Had they run with Tony Banks for a year or so while building their team they may have chosen to go with Ben Roethlisberger at QB in 2004, Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers in 2005 and so on.

That team doesn't need Mario Williams or Vince Young in 2006 so they probably pick Reggie Bush but then they're probably not picking that high so maybe we end up with someone else like Ferguson or Ngata. No telling.

You're not wrong but all of that is 20/20. In 2002 did anybody know that Big Ben would be coming in 2004 or Smith and Rodgers in 2005? Even if so did they know they would be franchise QBs? For all our talk of "Team X should have taken player Y" the draft is the biggest crap shoot in sports. Remember many, many people were pissed we took Watt first round.

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
You're not wrong but all of that is 20/20. In 2002 did anybody know that Big Ben would be coming in 2004 or Smith and Rodgers in 2005? Even if so did they know they would be franchise QBs? For all our talk of "Team X should have taken player Y" the draft is the biggest crap shoot in sports. Remember many, many people were pissed we took Watt first round.
True but I don’t think I would have taken a gimmicky QB from Fresno State... a school where they didn’t even win their own conference... with the number one pick in the NFL draft. I remember going... David who?

Man... our division really kicked our asses in the first round that year. Henderson, Freeney, and Haynesworth... all pro bowlers who wrecked havoc on us. Goddamn!

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Through 93 career games, Hopkins has done more than Johnson by a smidge.

Hopkins has 507-catches, 7,186-yards, 47-touchdowns and has averaged 14.17 yards per catch. The only category among those in which Johnson had the edge through 93 games is catches, with 524. Otherwise, Johnson had fewer yards (7,013), touchdowns (37) and a 13.38 yards-per-catch average.

Further, while Johnson certainly had quarterback issues at various times during his Texans career, for the most part he worked with just two quarterbacks – Matt Schaub and David Carr. Three times during Johnson’s career, Schaub passed for more than 4,000-yards.

Hopkins, meanwhile, has worked with six different starting quarterbacks through his first six seasons. And not one has passed for more than 4,000-yards in a season – though Deshaun Watson is on pace this year.

Despite that, with Hopkins’ 170-yard, two-touchdown effort Saturday against the Jets, it marked the seventh time Hopkins surpassed more than 150-yards receiving in a game. Through his first 93-games, Johnson surpassed 150-yards five times.
https://sportsradio610.radio.com/articles/deandre-hopkins-surpassed-andre-johnson-best-wr-texans-history

bigmck

Rookie
Hence why he’s my #1. It’s gonna take 3-4 years of mediocre play from Hopkins for Andre to surpass him in TDS. Throw the ball in Hopkins’ general area... he’s gonna catch it. Andre? Probably but also maybe not.
I don't recall Andre making the acrobatic catches that Hopkins does. Hopkins seems to catch anything that is remotely close.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Andre was the most technically sound route runner I have ever seen. That guy would make defenders look silly and would end up wide open.

Hopkins is the most talented catcher I have ever seen with superb body control.

Two different styles, both HOF worthy. Andre will always have a special place in our hearts because he was our first legit HOF type player on consistently bad teams. He had no mentor and had to pave his own way. Throw in his humble style and the beat down on Innegan (because he beat the f out of him) and he will be number 1 forever. The most NUK can do is tie him, and IMO he already has.

I have

1) Andre and Nuk
2) JJ Watt
3) Foster
4) Brown

bigmck

Rookie
I was shocked when we got rid of Osweiler. He seemed destined to be a Texan for at least one more year and probably two. That was a good deal, no matter what it cost to get rid of him.

Shishkabob

All Pro
So, if Osweiler happened because of Carr and DeShaun happened because of Osweiler..... where is Schaub in all of this..... :thinking:

I'm so confused! It's driving me to madness! :gun:
Ok I think I have the mapping down

Schuab happened because of Carr, Osweiler happened because of Schuab thanks to Haynesworth, Watson happened because of Osweiler. All hail Albert Hayensworth for leading us to DW4

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Ok I think I have the mapping down

Schuab happened because of Carr, Osweiler happened because of Schuab thanks to Haynesworth, Watson happened because of Osweiler. All hail Albert Hayensworth for leading us to DW4
But wait what about Hoyer curling up in the fetal position during the playoffs, that forced them to find a QB which lead to Osweiler.

Edit: Oh and Mallet's alarm clock which lead to Hoyer.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Never been big on the 'crap shoot' analogy with the draft. That would imply that it's almost entirety based on luck, which I think is inaccurate and believe doesn't do quality scouts and coaches justice. I prefer to compare it to horse racing. There's lots of information to gather and dissect and one can make an educated bet, but at the end of the day you're still left watching and hoping for the best out of a creature with a mind and prerogative of it's own.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Never been big on the 'crap shoot' analogy with the draft. That would imply that it's almost entirety based on luck, which I think is inaccurate and believe doesn't do quality scouts and coaches justice. I prefer to compare it to horse racing. There's lots of information to gather and dissect and one can make an educated bet, but at the end of the day you're still left watching and hoping for the best out of a creature with a mind and prerogative of it's own.
Agreed, much better analogy.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
Andre was the most technically sound route runner I have ever seen. That guy would make defenders look silly and would end up wide open.

Two different styles, both HOF worthy. Andre will always have a special place in our hearts because he was our first legit HOF type player on consistently bad teams. He had no mentor and had to pave his own way. Throw in his humble style and the beat down on Innegan (because he beat the f out of him) and he will be number 1 forever. The most NUK can do is tie him, and IMO he already has.

I have

1) Andre and Nuk
2) JJ Watt
3) Foster
4) Brown
If we're talking both sides of the ball.. I strongly disagree with your list..

J.J. Watt is by far the greatest player so far in franchise history.. and it's not close.

He has been the most dominant defender of his generation (will go down as one of the greatest in NFL history), had a play that gifted us our first playoff win and during his rookie season. He's also a lock to be a first ballot HOFer.. Andre will eventually get in, but he's going to have to wait awhile.

bigmck

Rookie

I just spent about two hours doing nothing but cussing Rick Smith for not getting Tom Brady in the Fifth Round. :)
But wait what about Hoyer curling up in the fetal position during the playoffs, that forced them to find a QB which lead to Osweiler.

Edit: Oh and Mallet's alarm clock which lead to Hoyer.
You guys are trying separate every QB into his own category when they are better identified when in two categories. Category One -- Schaub and Watson == Category Two -- The Others. == The Others have no one that stands out. Schaub and Watson are the only NFL quality QB's we have had.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
If we're talking both sides of the ball.. I strongly disagree with your list..

J.J. Watt is by far the greatest player so far in franchise history.. and it's not close.

He has been the most dominant defender of his generation (will go down as one of the greatest in NFL history), had a play that gifted us our first playoff win and during his rookie season. He's also a lock to be a first ballot HOFer.. Andre will eventually get in, but he's going to have to wait awhile.
There's no doubt Watt is the #1 defensive player. Don't anybody tell me he's 2nd to "Petey" Faggins.:rofl:

txtechsean

Practice Squad
I like data -- here's a spreadsheet where I've tried to match quality of season with quality of season, as well as one that matches season by years of experience. If matching rookie year to rookie year, Nuk is going to blow 80 away with the TDs. Yards will be closer based on AJ missing games, something that hasn't affected Nuk's career as of yet. If instead you try to match best seasons for best seasons, Nuk still has a lot of catching up to do. He's still 4 incredible seasons away, (100-1100, 110-1400, 110-1600, 95-1100-10 in 16 games across 2 years dues to injury) plus a solid season (85-900) after that. AJ's time in Houston can't be discounted just on sheer counting stats. If Nuk doesn't play a game in another team's jersey until he's 35/at all, I think he'll break all of AJ's records and surpass him as the best WR in team history. But if Hopkins ends up kidnapped by aliens tomorrow, Andre would still be the top of the pyramid.

80 v nuk.png 80 V NUK 2.png

txtechsean

Practice Squad

and to answer the original premise, I think Nuk is 2 more great years from taking the #2 spot from Foster. Foster was in the grouping for best RB in the league for the better part of 5 years -- including being #1 in touches and scrimmage yards one year. Johnson the same thing, lead the league in yards and catches one year. I think because Foster and Hopkins career's have had similar lengths of excellence up to this point, I'll take Foster's higher peak. But Nuk is 2 85-1000-6 seasons from moving up, and honestly he's number 1 in my heart already.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Granted hindsight is 20/20 but in the first draft (2002) McNair (or maybe it was Casserly) had previously stated that they were going to build the team the right way and that they would look to build solid lines first. Then Bob fell in love with David Carr and now we have passed on a guy who was in the running for the first overall pick (Peppers) in favor of a "miss" in Carr. With Carr we weren't in the market for a QB during 2004 or 2005 when good QB's were available. Had we not chosen Carr we would have probably been looking for a young passer in those drafts. Now would we have picked a future HoF QB? No telling. No way of knowing if those players would have been as productive as Ben has been in Pittsburgh, Rodgers was in Green Bay or Smith was later in his career with Kansas City but that was what was available when we would have been trying to fill the spot.

Likewise with Peppers if we have Julius Peppers on the line we're probably not looking for Mario Williams. No way of knowing what we're picking of course (might have missed on whoever we took) but we're not trying to find a DE in round one if we just finished paying Peppers (which would have happened about then in theory)

Hervoyel

BUENO!

I have

1) Andre and Nuk
2) JJ Watt
3) Foster
4) Brown
We need to locate some Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins DNA to begin the cloning process that will hopefully get us a monster called "DeAndre Johnskins" in the 2036 or so draft.