Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Davis Mills - statistical breakdown.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I didn't want to start yet another Mills thread, but the others are getting long and I thought it would be helpful if we had a fresh reference thread specifically on stats and observations.
Let's keep this one on this track so others can check out the facts and thoughts just on this topic.
I'll start with his pleasing ability to keep the interception count low.
On the negative side, he is not an exciting QB - he lacks that 'It' factor. This tells me that he will be a middle of the pack guy. Just my $0.02c worth.
I'll open it up.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I didn't want to start yet another Mills thread, but the others are getting long and I thought it would be helpful if we had a fresh reference thread specifically on stats and observations.
Let's keep this one on this track so others can check out the facts and thoughts just on this topic.
I'll start with his pleasing ability to keep the interception count low.
On the negative side, he is not an exciting QB - he lacks that 'It' factor. This tells me that he will be a middle of the pack guy. Just my $0.02c worth.
I'll open it up.
Give him some experience and weapons before passing judgement.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Mills has some work to do to get to the middle of the pack.

Mills has to the end of this season. Even then, he's getting competition in 2023. Be it a rookie or FA vet.
This is what's going to happen, I dont think with what he's got to work with and his lack of experience he's going to succeed. Since he's played so little it's like he's making rookie mistakes. Which isn't surprising and also explains why he plays better at home than on the road like most rookies do.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Mills has regressed a lot so far this season.
1. He’s not playing with the same confidence that he had during the last five games of last season.
2. His mechanics are way off for some strange reason. That’s why he’s having a difficult time with those out routes. Look at his footwork on some of those bad throws in which he sailing passes over his receivers head.
3. He’s not going through his progressions or stepping up in the pocket on consistent basis.
4. He’s locking in on his receivers too much. He has to do a better with manipulating the defense with his eyes.

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine
Even though this is a preseason game. But this is how Mills is playing so far through 5 games. He has a lot of bad plays but he have some good ones too. Hopefully after an extra week off, him and this team will improve in a lot of areas that they’re bad in.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Mills has regressed a lot so far this season.
1. He’s not playing with the same confidence that he had during the last five games of last season.
2. His mechanics are way off for some strange reason. That’s why he’s having a difficult time with those out routes. Look at his footwork on some of those bad throws in which he sailing passes over his receivers.
3. He’s not going through his progressions or stepping up in the pocket on consistent basis.
4. He’s locking in on his receivers too much. He has to do a better with manipulating the defense with his eyes.
I'm just not seeing this, at least not in the same way. I'm seeing a guy who is learning a new system. Definitely not comfortable the first three games, but since he's gotten a lot more comfortable. I'm thinking we're going to see that guy we saw at the end of last season in the next few games. Hopefully he'll progress from there afterwards.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I'm just not seeing this, at least not in the same way. I'm seeing a guy who is learning a new system. Definitely not comfortable the first three games, but since he's gotten a lot more comfortable. I'm thinking we're going to see that guy we saw at the end of last season in the next few games. Hopefully he'll progress from there afterwards.
I'm not seeing what you're seeing. I'm not buying the "new offense" excuse, either. It's not like a over complicated Bill O'Brien offense. Wasn't Mills supposedly teaching his receivers the new offense in mini camp? The Patriots rookie QB is outplaying Mills by leaps and bounds. Maybe they know how to coach offense in general and QBs in particular?

I've said that Mills' 2021 late season play was overstated. But I still expected more than what we've seen. Especially considering that the running game is no longer rock bottom in the league. I have yet to see one aspect of Mills game that has improved in 2022. Still, he has 12 games to change minds.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Mills has a perennial thousand yard receiver in Cooks and Nico Collins a second round pick and highly touted is averaging over 18 yards a carry if only receiving three catches per game.

OJ Howard 3 games 86 yards 1 TD.
Everyone is excited about Damien Pierce so how many more weapons does he have to have before he becomes successful? Now if you want to say it's on the coaching that's entirely different debate.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Mills is terrible. There is zero chance he leads this team anywhere other than a top 5 pick. He is a backup masquerading as a guy that can be the dude. He isn’t, he won’t, he never was, and he will never be. Gotta find the guy, but it isn’t Mills.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Mills has a perennial thousand yard receiver in Cooks and Nico Collins a second round pick and highly touted is averaging over 18 yards a carry if only receiving three catches per game.

OJ Howard 3 games 86 yards 1 TD.
Everyone is excited about Damien Pierce so how many more weapons does he have to have before he becomes successful? Now if you want to say it's on the coaching that's entirely different debate.
How about a really good TE like Mayer/Washington/A WR that's a threat to score every time he touches the ball like Johnston and a rock solid center like Stromberg would be a great place to start. Nobody fears the current Texans skill group. When Akins is your best TE you know you're really weak at that position.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Mills is terrible. There is zero chance he leads this team anywhere other than a top 5 pick. He is a backup masquerading as a guy that can be the dude. He isn’t, he won’t, he never was, and he will never be. Gotta find the guy, but it isn’t Mills.
Which isn't a bad thing for this yr and next yr.

If you happen to be wrong that's even better.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
At least, Mills is consistent.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Dont need another Mills thread, bottom line is he has until the end of the season to show he’s the guy…& right now he’s behind the 8-ball. I do kinda laugh at those who have written the guy off tho. He may not be the guy, but hoping back on the qb carousel immediately aint the answer either. We saw how a top flight qb looked with a talentless team…still wound up picking top 5….or would’ve anyway if it werent for Billy O.

there’s another example of what that looks like down in Jacksonville and up in Chicago right now too. Purpose is to set yourself up for the long term and win…not make fans feel “hopeful” lol.

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine
Dont need another Mills thread, bottom line is he has until the end of the season to show he’s the guy…& right now he’s behind the 8-ball. I do kinda laugh at those who have written the guy off tho. He may not be the guy, but hoping back on the qb carousel immediately aint the answer either. We saw how a top flight qb looked with a talentless team…still wound up picking top 5….or would’ve anyway if it werent for Billy O.

there’s another example of what that looks like down in Jacksonville and up in Chicago right now too. Purpose is to set yourself up for the long term and win…not make fans feel “hopeful” lol.
I don’t think we’ll experience another quarterback carousel like that ever again. Lol

badboy

Hall of Fame

Long-term is correct however if you don't give fans something to hope for in the meantime you may have to be looking at a whole new fan base.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Long-term is correct however if you don't give fans something to hope for in the meantime you may have to be looking at a whole new fan base.
yes fans are an important part of the dynamic…..but You know what brings fans to the stadium? Winning & No organization should be making moves for any reason other than to set themselves up to win…preferably for the long term.

bud adams overrode his HC and GM’s opinion and told them to pick VY just to stick it to houston. How’d that work out for him? Short term victory….long term pain.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
yes fans are an important part of the dynamic…..but You know what brings fans to the stadium? Winning & No organization should be making moves for any reason other than to set themselves up to win…preferably for the long term.

bud adams overrode his HC and GM’s opinion and told them to pick VY just to stick it to houston. How’d that work out for him? Short term victory….long term pain.
Except the Texans had the first pick and they went with Mario Williams.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
How about a really good TE like Mayer/Washington/A WR that's a threat to score every time he touches the ball like Johnston and a rock solid center like Stromberg would be a great place to start. Nobody fears the current Texans skill group. When Akins is your best TE you know you're really weak at that position.
Who did Minshew have when he came in as a rookie and won 6 games?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
What does Minshew have to do with it? And why do you keep bringing him up?
Because posters keep bringing up weapons and whatever else Mills need to be successful and we've witnessed a 6th rd rookie come into Jacksonville and go 6-6 with good stats and a good rating. If you're going to play qb, everything isn't going to be perfect. DJ Chark was his best wr along with a bunch of young guys. Cooks is better than anything he had. The Texans gave Mills the jib without competition, yet they continue to speak about competing at every position. So that sounds like they're talking out the side of their neck.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Because posters keep bringing up weapons and whatever else Mills need to be successful and we've witnessed a 6th rd rookie come into Jacksonville and go 6-6 with good stats and a good rating. If you're going to play qb, everything isn't going to be perfect. DJ Chark was his best wr along with a bunch of young guys. Cooks is better than anything he had. The Texans gave Mills the jib without competition, yet they continue to speak about competing at every position. So that sounds like they're talking out the side of their neck.
Minshew? LOL

I'm all on board with bringing him in to compete with Mills next yr. With these weapons Minshew will probably be a top 10 QB.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
So that sounds like they're talking out the side of their neck.
No, it sounds like Minshew was a better quarterback. Did he have more experience or just better? But it still has nothing to do with Mills. No one is anointing him, just saying give him the year

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Minshew? LOL

I'm all on board with bringing him in to compete with Mills next yr. With these weapons Minshew will probably be a top 10 QB.
Not top 10. I'm saying when they decided to go vet qb, get a young enough one that can hold it down for a couple of season and allow you to evaluate the other positions like Nico and the te's. I like all the te's you mentioned coming out of college this year, but if they had better qb play, I don't think or know any of those guys coming out are as talented as Howard. Your triggerman matters in the nfl and if Mills continues to just check it down vs making plays when given, its not going to matter who you draft at the skill positions.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Not top 10. I'm saying when they decided to go vet qb, get a young enough one that can hold it down for a couple of season and allow you to evaluate the other positions like Nico and the te's. I like all the te's you mentioned coming out of college this year, but if they had better qb play, I don't think or know any of those guys coming out are as talented as Howard. Your triggerman matters in the nfl and if Mills continues to just check it down vs making plays when given, its not going to matter who you draft at the skill positions.
Taylor's age wasn't the issue. And the Texans never had a chance to sign Minshew.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm pretty sure Mayer/Washington/Kincaid are better Howard and I hope Howard makes next yrs team.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You saw how Howard was running away from people in college right? Im not saying he's better, but from a talent point, he's as talented as they come, period.
I don't think he can run like he used too after injuries.

Hopefully he gets back to where he was. Still need to draft a TE or two. IMHO

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Who did Minshew have when he came in as a rookie and won 6 games?

How about 30 CFB games between East Carolina (17) and Washington State (13) over 3 consecutive uninterrupted seasons before being drafted in RD6 of the 2019 NFL Draft by the Jaguars.

Mills had 14 CFB games and 11 starts at Stanford during his 3 seasons which were interrupted by COVID-19, and forced him to bail earlier than desired for the NFL Draft. His 2 additional CFB seasons of development are happening on the fields of the NFL. I'll take the good with the bad during this process b/c when the Texans are truly ready to compete, then they could very well have their ready to go QB1.

Last edited:

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
How about 30 CFB games between East Carolina (17) and Washington State (13) over 3 consecutive uninterrupted seasons before being drafted in RD6 by the Jaguars of the 2019 NFL Draft.

Mills had 14 CFB games and 11 starts at Stanford during his 3 seasons which were interrupted by COVID-19, and forced him to bail earlier than desired for the NFL Draft. His 2 additional CFB seasons of development are happening on the fields of the NFL. I'll take the good with the bad during this process b/c when the Texans are truly ready to compete, then they could very well have their ready to go QB1.
And all of that doesn’t make him any better at QB.

Love the excuses people come up with for mediocrity. Well if he had a better line, better receivers, better scheme, more experience, blah, blah, blah. Yeah, maybe if everything were perfect then even I could QB this team. But it’s not. No team is. Sometimes, most of the time, you have to be good and have the ability to overcome. Don’t see any of that with Mills.

Yes he can make the throws. Yes he can look pretty good on a particular drive, but so can anybody. It’s the NFL. You have to have some talent to be there. But every once in a while doesn’t get it done in this league. You have to be consistent much more than you’re not. Mills isn’t that.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

Love the excuses people come up with for mediocrity. Well if he had a better line, better receivers, better scheme, more experience, blah, blah, blah. Yeah, maybe if everything were perfect then even I could QB this team. But it’s not. No team is. Sometimes, most of the time, you have to be good and have the ability to overcome. Don’t see any of that with Mills.

Yes he can make the throws. Yes he can look pretty good on a particular drive, but so can anybody. It’s the NFL. You have to have some talent to be there. But every once in a while doesn’t get it done in this league. You have to be consistent much more than you’re not. Mills isn’t that.
Pretty spot on.
On the flip side of that though, there is no short term solution to obtaining a top flight signal caller so in the meantime, you do the next best thing you can do and that is get the one you got all the help you can.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I see we're having the same conversation about fans not being willing to go through the growing pains with a young QB. Wonder how much time they will be willing to give the next young drafted QB. Hopefully it's more than 16 games.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Davis Mills, 9 Career Home Games

• 290 Attempts, 201 Completions = 69.3 Completion%
  • 16 TD:3 INT = 5.33 TD/INT
  • 105.7 Passer Rating
  • 0.04 EPA Per Dropback
  • +300 Passing Yards 4 of 9 Games
Thought this thread was suppose to drill down on statistics? Still small sample size. What did we all expect from a 3rd rounder anyway?

Davis Mills’ season stats so far are pretty brutal (104-166/1048/5/4, 80.6 Passer Rating, -0.19 EPA/Attempt, 0 finishes above fantasy QB16).

Two positive traits he possess are work ethic and toughness. Leadership comes from proven success, that’s why, right or wrong, he has a short leash.

OptimisticTexan

Might be good to know the difference between excuses and reality. I believe most of us stated that Mills was pushed into the starting role sooner than he should've been. 11 CFB starts over 3 years at Stanford is what it is and C-19 preventing any time on the football field with his teammates. Mills will get this 2022 season, so you might want to strap up and live with the results b/c barring injury he'll probably remain QB1. If he bounces back down the stretch against the schedule they have.....he'll probably get the 2023 season as well. Patience is a virtue and possessing that is what got some of the Astros fans through their multiple 100 loss seasons so we're in a position to cheer for who they've become on an annual basis.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Except the Texans had the first pick and they went with Mario Williams.
it didnt matter if we had a shot at him 1st. Bud Owning a rival team in the division and him being a guy who still resided in Houston, He picked VY b/c he thought he would torment Houston for years to come…the only problem with that was VY was trash lol:.

Reactions: JB

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
How about 30 CFB games between East Carolina (17) and Washington State (13) over 3 consecutive uninterrupted seasons before being drafted in RD6 of the 2019 NFL Draft by the Jaguars.

Why would you draft a qb with limited experience and no special traits? Oh, he was one of the top hs prospects coming out. So was barkley,Rattler and DJ along with a hold host of qb's. He could played somewhere else for a season. In the season he played, he wasn't special anyway. Trey :ance got drafted high because of his physical traits and how awesome he was in his limited experience, right? Doesn't mean he will be good, but traits get you drafted high, not high school qb rankings.There has never been a top flight qb successful in the nfl with Mills college background combined with his experience.

OptimisticTexan

Why would you draft a qb with limited experience and no special traits? Oh, he was one of the top hs prospects coming out. So was barkley,Rattler and DJ along with a hold host of qb's. He could played somewhere else for a season. In the season he played, he wasn't special anyway. Trey :ance got drafted high because of his physical traits and how awesome he was in his limited experience, right? Doesn't mean he will be good, but traits get you drafted high, not high school qb rankings.There has never been a top flight qb successful in the nfl with Mills college background combined with his experience.
Caserio didn’t pop a RD1 pick on Mills….he used a RD3 developmental pick on Mills. Taylor was signed to “be” the QB1 for however long that was going to be or bridge the position. I believe the team was more than ready to have Mills carry a clipboard for his first 2 seasons with the team. Unfortunately, Taylor got injured in GM2 and Mills was thrown into the fray. I don’t care what anyone states…..that’s one hellava jump from 11 CFB starts to suddenly starting for the absolute horrible Texans. The fact that he even turned his season around through the final 5 games was an impressive feat in itself. So Mills got his experience like a kid who couldn’t swim getting thrown into the middle of the lake……and somehow he managed to get back to shore rather than drowning.

Even though Pep is utilizing a offense that Mills should be familiar with in his second season, I’m sure there are many new nuances that make it different from his last full Stanford season. Still, how much of this offense did he really get a chance to get consistent with while time on the field was interrupted by COVID-19? I still feel like the Texans should make a play for Foles, if possible, so he has a veteran in his corner during this developmental process.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Caserio didn’t pop a RD1 pick on Mills….he used a RD3 developmental pick on Mills. Taylor was signed to “be” the QB1 for however long that was going to be or bridge the position. I believe the team was more than ready to have Mills carry a clipboard for his first 2 seasons with the team. Unfortunately, Taylor got injured in GM2 and Mills was thrown into the fray. I don’t care what anyone states…..that’s one hellava jump from 11 CFB starts to suddenly starting for the absolute horrible Texans. The fact that he even turned his season around through the final 5 games was an impressive feat in itself. So Mills got his experience like a kid who couldn’t swim getting thrown into the middle of the lake……and somehow he managed to get back to shore rather than drowning.

Even though Pep is utilizing a offense that Mills should be familiar with in his second season, I’m sure there are many new nuances that make it different from his last full Stanford season. Still, how much of this offense did he really get a chance to get consistent with while time on the field was interrupted by COVID-19? I still feel like the Texans should make a play for Foles, if possible, so he has a veteran in his corner during this developmental process.
Really hope that wasn’t the plan? Of all veteran QB’s Tyrod Taylor has serious red flags staying on the field. Warned against those expectations way before the season began. Caserio was caught between a rock and a hard place and choose to do nothing to seriously address the starting QB position. Mills somewhat bailed him out his rookie season, showing some promise but that promise has quickly faded year two. He’s 21st in completion percentage, 29th in yards per attempt and has thrown five touchdowns to four interceptions.

I do actually like your plan better and something similar should have been executed prior to week one. Now the Easterbye week has passed and no action taken. Going into Vegas against a hungry, Raider mob, dysfunctional match-up playing with different aspirations. Really like and respect Pep Hamilton but maybe he’s just got too much on his plate. I think, he is very positive on Mills’s and goes to bat for him. He’s got size, arm and toughness but it’s his decision making process and needs to run a more RPO system, get the ball out fast and move outside the pocket to buy time. Nothing would be please me more than to see both succeed, but they do need a better back-up plan.