Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Davis Mills - statistical breakdown.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Really hope that wasn’t the plan? Of all veteran QB’s Tyrod Taylor has serious red flags staying on the field. Warned against those expectations way before the season began. Caserio was caught between a rock and a hard place and choose to do nothing to seriously address the starting QB position. Mills somewhat bailed him out his rookie season, showing some promise but that promise has quickly faded year two. He’s 21st in completion percentage, 29th in yards per attempt and has thrown five touchdowns to four interceptions.

I do actually like your plan better and something similar should have been executed prior to week one. Now the Easterbye week has passed and no action taken. Going into Vegas against a hungry, Raider mob, dysfunctional match-up playing with different aspirations. Really like and respect Pep Hamilton but maybe he’s just got too much on his plate. I think, he is very positive on Mills’s and goes to bat for him. He’s got size, arm and toughness but it’s his decision making process and needs to run a more RPO system, get the ball out fast and move outside the pocket to buy time. Nothing would be please me more than to see both succeed, but they do need a better back-up plan.
Sounds like you actually expected the team to contend this season...

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yep, if that's the case then some posters have unrealistic expectations. With this schedule they've always been a 4-5 win team. They've made progress though because they've been competitive in all of their games so far. Even with Mills subpar play, I think they would've already won a game or 2 more with better weapons at the WR/TE positions. Put it like this if AJ/OD were on this team I believe they would've beaten the Colts and Broncos, that would make them 3-2 and I bet there would be a different vibe around this place. Just gotta add more playmakers.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I expected to see some gains with a strong infusion of talent from the draft. That’s not including 2nd year of your franchise QB and a real HC.

Last edited:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I expected to see some gains with a strong infusion of talent from the draft. That’s not including 2nd year of your franchise QB and a real HC.
I think we've seen a strong infusion of talent from the draft with 4 starters so far

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That’s exactly what I said, but where are the overall gains/results? Should be better than 4 win team of 2021.
The gains are that the schedule is much harder this yr, playing the AFC West and NFC East and they're not getting blown out like last yr. I expected a 4-5 win team before the season started, I still expect 4 wins. How many wins did you expect looking at their schedule?

beerlover

Hall of Fame
The gains are that the schedule is much harder this yr, playing the AFC West and NFC East and they're not getting blown out like last yr. I expected a 4-5 win team before the season started, I still expect 4 wins. How many wins did you expect looking at their schedule?
Asking me now? With what I’ve seen so far……. 2-13-2

Before season just look at consensus
https://www.texanstalk.com/threads/officail-texans-w-l-prediction-thread-brought-2-u-by-the-meatbear.116550/

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
That’s exactly what I said, but where are the overall gains/results? Should be better than 4 win team of 2021.
Before the season started you expected no gains in the win column. We have seen improvements in overall play, particularly the rushing game.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Doesn’t have to be big gains just positive yards.
I guess I was wrong. I do need to elaborate.

Mills has 6 rushing attempts in 5 games, this season. His big gain was 2 yards. Mills had 18 attempts in 2011. 44 yards with a long rush of 11 yards. Does Mills not like to run, or just can't run? My guess is yes & yes. RPO is not going to be Davis Mills' thing.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I guess I was wrong. I do need to elaborate.

Mills has 6 rushing attempts in 5 games, this season. His big gain was 2 yards. Mills had 18 attempts in 2011. 44 yards with a long rush of 11 yards. Does Mills not like to run, or just can't run? My guess is yes & yes. RPO is not going to be Davis Mills' thing.
Didn’t Mills actually have a 10 yard run (or close) that was nullified by a holding penalty?

Mac Jones has been horrible this year. He got pulled for Bailey Zappe last night after a couple of drives and who knows whether it will be for a prolonged stretch. The guy impressing me even though stats don't necessarily reflect it is Justin Fields, who is getting better from the pocket each week. Seen it first hand. Somehow Jets are winning in spite of Wilson. Still unclear who will become the best QB of the 2021 class. If I had to guess, it will be either Mills, Fields or Lawrence, though Mills might not have the same opportunity of the other two guys.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Mac Jones has been horrible this year. He got pulled for Bailey Zappe last night after a couple of drives and who knows whether it will be for a prolonged stretch. The guy impressing me even though stats don't necessarily reflect it is Justin Fields, who is getting better from the pocket each week. Seen it first hand. Somehow Jets are winning in spite of Wilson. Still unclear who will become the best QB of the 2021 class. If I had to guess, it will be either Mills, Fields or Lawrence, though Mills might not have the same opportunity of the other two guys.
That is categorically impossible for Justin Fields to be getting better! You must not know he played for Ohio State...
😉

Last edited:

vtech9

All Pro
I think Fields improved play has more to do with his OC putting him in a better position to make plays. The OC has adjusted the offense to fit Fields strengths. He's calling more QB run plays, screens, and short passes. Does that equate to long term success? I don't really think so.

Mangler

Toro de España
This sunday was one of the best games I've seen Mills play despite the pick 6. He didn't play scared and he let plays develop. The coach calls the plays, but the qb has to execute as he see fit. Alot of positives from the L
I thought so too. We’ll see if he can keep this going moving forward. Would be nice not to have to spend a #1 on a QB and stockpile some talent on both defense and offense with all the picks we have in 22, and 23.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This sunday was one of the best games I've seen Mills play despite the pick 6. He didn't play scared and he let plays develop. The coach calls the plays, but the qb has to execute as he see fit. Alot of positives from the L
Agree. I still believe he's been learning a new system & it's not as similar to what he ran at Stanford. Or that the way he ran it at Stanford was different from the way he has to run it in the NFL.

Also looks like Cooks has been on the outs, or they at least are trying hard to run the offense through someone else. I don't know.

But yes. He's more comfortable with what they are asking him to do in the NFL & I only expect it to get better.

I have no delusions that he's the QB of the future. He's the QB for right now.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
There's no time for a guy like Fields to become a pocket passer. Not in today's NFL. He needs to be himself, play his game & stop making bad decisions. Winning will buy him time.

That said, off the field he needs to study defenses. Study his offense. & in the off season work on being a pocket passer. But on Sunday, Just win baby.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
There's no time for a guy like Fields to become a pocket passer. Not in today's NFL. He needs to be himself, play his game & stop making bad decisions. Winning will buy him time.

That said, off the field he needs to study defenses. Study his offense. & in the off season work on being a pocket passer. But on Sunday, Just win baby.
The game is very different today.
It's no longer a drop back passing game predominantly.

HCs and OCs that don't tailor enough of the offensive scheme to match the strength of the QB(s) are doing their team no favor.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member

HCs and OCs that don't tailor enough of the offensive scheme to match the strength of the QB(s) are doing their team no favor.
That reminds me of that time I watched two predominantly drop back passers in the super bowl last season..

76Texan

Hall of Fame
That reminds me of that time I watched two predominantly drop back passers in the super bowl last season..
Not really.

Any team nowadays have some RPO plays in there.

And Burrow has the roll out in his arsenal.

Also, what I said was that game was no longer PREDOMINANTLY a drop back passing game.

You look at the list of QBs in the league.
At least half of the "pure" pocket passers are on the way out.

Last edited:

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
The 2 best qb's playing right now are Allen and Mahomes, neither a straight drop back qb's. They have mobility. Mobility doesn't mean running qb. SF didn't lose to Baltimore because of CK. When you have qb's who can't at least move inside the pocket, then too many things have to be right upfront. Brady,Rodgers,and Stafford are struggling because of the protection up front. Burrough was sacked 70 times last year, but he's mobile, not so much as a runner. Daniel Jones just ran for 100 yds and they're 6-1. Will all this hold up through the season? Time will tell as usual.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
The 2 best qb's playing right now are Allen and Mahomes, neither a straight drop back qb's. They have mobility. Mobility doesn't mean running qb. SF didn't lose to Baltimore because of CK. When you have qb's who can't at least move inside the pocket, then too many things have to be right upfront. Brady,Rodgers,and Stafford are struggling because of the protection up front. Burrough was sacked 70 times last year, but he's mobile, not so much as a runner. Daniel Jones just ran for 100 yds and they're 6-1. Will all this hold up through the season? Time will tell as usual.
Yes.
Even the pocket passers today are more mobile than they used to be.
They are more athletic than ever.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That is categorically impossible for Justin Fields to be getting better! You must not know he played for Ohio State...
😉
50 years of evidence.

He's a good tailback with a sting arm and accuracy issues though. Maybe he becomes Josh Allen, is that what you're implying?

I think Fields improved play has more to do with his OC putting him in a better position to make plays. The OC has adjusted the offense to fit Fields strengths. He's calling more QB run plays, screens, and short passes. Does that equate to long term success? I don't really think so.
I hear what you're saying, but from what I have seen, he's actually throwing a the ball pretty well. He's connecting on a fair amount of downfield passes (i.e. check the recent connection with Mooney in the Minnesota game, and the 26 yard toss to Kmet last night). I wouldn't have believed Fields could pull through after that awful game against the Texans, but the man is making some strides with his passing. Still hangs onto the ball too long and doesn;t yet trust his reads fully, but the man is getting better tossing the rock. I think he's going to succeed.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

In the regular season… sure.

winning is a team effort. When you get to the best playing the best, your QB better be effective from the pocket.