Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Davis Mills getting no respect

I know you beancounters don't like it, but I will bet you Tunsil is here next season.
That is the last year of his contract so he might, why wouldn't he? There is an out clause after this season. Tunsil is ready to move on so why not get prime value for him after this season? Oh, you don't have a replacement? He's a FA after 2023 and he's walking away and Texans get their typical zero in return.

Last edited:
That is the last year of his contract so he might, why wouldn't he? There is an out clause after this season. Tunsil is ready to move on so why not get prime value for him after this season? Oh, you don't have a replacement? He's a FA after 2023 and he's walking away.

Depends on where they are in the rebuild and if they choose to franchise him.

At that salary and what do they have to pay, 130%? Sounds like typical Texans plan to fail becaused they failed to plan.
Depends on how much the cap goes to after the new TV deal goes into effect. I know the NFL just got a cool billion from Amazon for the Thursday night games.

That is the last year of his contract so he might, why wouldn't he? There is an out clause after this season. Tunsil is ready to move on so why not get prime value for him after this season? Oh, you don't have a replacement? He's a FA after 2023 and he's walking away and Texans get their typical zero in return.

I'd be watching both Tunsil and Howard very closely if I'm Caserio. If Texans aren't .500 or better.....I'd put both of them on the trade block before the deadline. There will be playoff teams missing OT's who would roll the dice to get them. Getting more 2023 draft picks should be a priority instead of holding onto dead weight.

Last edited:
Trading both Tunsil and Howard would create $30 million in dead money.

But I could see Caserio doing it.
There is room on the 2023 cap if the right deal comes along. I want to see LT play some more, but I am skeptical he fits here where guys need to be 100% bought in and live/breathe football. Chubb was pretty quiet against Denver and that dude can play so LT is doing some good things. Also with Kenyon, seemed the left side was helping DP get some yards, but more DP than the blocking. LT can pass block at an elite level, Howard is still a JAG so far to me and can be upgraded. If someone comes with the right deal, move on, but there are only so many draft selections to fill this roster full of holes, and only so many rookies you can start and expect to have good performance. I mean we need a TE, WR, probably QB, LB, C, G, EDGE,....

Trading both Tunsil and Howard would create $30 million in dead money.

But I could see Caserio doing it.

Do you eat the dead money or continue with the two of them underwhelming the team and getting Mills jumped?

Depends on how much the cap goes to after the new TV deal goes into effect. I know the NFL just got a cool billion from Amazon for the Thursday night games.
Bad money management = bad money management. Texans have a remarkable record of being bad money managers and Caserby has been notoriously some of the worst. If you are having a difficult time trying to manage a small salary cap, you will only have much worse problems and BIGGER FUBARS trying to manage a much larger salary cap.

Tytus Howard's contract also expires after the 2023 season. This is what pizz poor management and coach think will do for you. And of course, this will create another situation of desperate people resorting to doing desperate things because they created a desperate situation, aka panic management.

Last edited:
Do you eat the dead money or continue with the two of them underwhelming the team and getting Mills jumped?
I would've traded Tunsil to the first team that offers a 1st RD plus. That was based on drafting Charles Cross at #3. I'm afraid the void in the Texans OL is going to be back in square 1 if not in the 2023 season, then definitely in 2024. Cross would've locked up your LT until the 2027 season.

Last edited:
think it's fair to say if we even got average QB play, we could be 2-0 right
Think it’s fair to say that if we even got average “offensive” play we could be 2-0.
This team is void of playmakers. Cooks is not a #1. Pierce is gonna be good. I love how he runs pissed off. That has to rub off on the Oline. Running game is still very bland though. It’s just “block your man” crap.
give me a trap, some pulling guards something!

BS. He didn't have to throw it there. Cooks had his man beat. Hit him on the numbers and it's six. Yes, Cooks is expected to catch that ball, but it doesn't excuse the poor throw.
I’ll have to watch it again. I saw it live, right in front of me. Any rate, cooks has to make that catch. That I hope we can agree on.
The line is made better by an effective play-making signal caller paired with a couple of good playmakers at WR/RB/TE. This
Read post above from me. The running game is bland AF! Nothing creative about it
They have talent, they’re not utilizing them right. Coaching has screwed us in these two games.
Talent, sure. But not game changing talent.

I'm not a huge DM fan. I don't know that he can play this game at a high level.

What impressed me most in the first two starts last season was that the game was not too big for him & he maintained a high level of poise in some very bad situations. None of that has changed in my mind. Though we may be so accustomed to it that it doesn't impress as much as it did.

Like everyone else, I did expect to see some growth from Mills. We didn't see it in the preseason & we didn't see it in the first two games. Why?

I think it's because they're installing a new offense. That's what it looks like to me. Like Russell Wilson in Denver & Matt Ryan in Indy. So I'm not too worried about Mills. I believe he is who we thought he was. A young QB who can play the game but needs to grow.

Since the last CBA & all the restrictions they've put on practice & the way coaches have approached the preseason, these first four weeks are basically what the preseason used to be. Everyone is learning on the fly.

For Davis, that looks like a slow processing speed, late throws, off throws, high throws. But every now & then we see that accuracy & ball placement that elevates the team. & that's the thing that's going to set him apart. So until he's consistently making those types of throws he's going to look like a JAG & not the guy we want under Center.

Game 3 of the regular season should look like what we used to see in game 3 of the preseason. Where the offense starts to get some things right. We've seen some elements that could result in a good offense if they start executing better, a big part of that is on Davis Mills.

Of course it could go the other way as well. But we'll see.

Much of this does not pass the eyeball test. Joe Flacco grades better than Mahomes? Trey Lance is great, in the conversation with Brady, Jackson, and Allen? Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

The fault in it is that it assumes sacks are solely the responsibility of the o-line........& im not sure it takes into account who these guys have played...

How is Mills gonna show off his stuff with a o-line that can't block, receivers that drop the ball (or can't even get open) and RBs that can't make yardage in any appreciable amount? Mills can't be that good if his supporting cast isn't good.

Which doesn't mean Mills is any good in the first place. I just think some of yall are putting to much on Mills who's in a bad situation on a bad team.

Bad money management = bad money management. Texans have a remarkable record of being bad money managers and Caserby has been notoriously some of the worst. If you are having a difficult time trying to manage a small salary cap, you will only have much worse problems and BIGGER FUBARS trying to manage a much larger salary cap.

Tytus Howard's contract also expires after the 2023 season. This is what pizz poor management and coach think will do for you. And of course, this will create another situation of desperate people resorting to doing desperate things, aka panic management.
Truth is they've spent the last 2 years cleaning up the cap. I don't care how they spend their money as long as they have enough money left over to add the players they want to add.

Agreed about Howard, I tried to tell people. Just because a guy was drafted in the 1st rd doesn't mean they're a 1st rd talent.

Much of this does not pass the eyeball test. Joe Flacco grades better than Mahomes? Trey Lance is great, in the conversation with Brady, Jackson, and Allen? Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Joe Flacco is actually playing some darn good ball right now. First game 307 yards, 4 Touchdowns and a rating of 110.7. So far he has 613 yards 5 touchdowns and one interception.

Patrick Mahomas: first game he threw for 235 yards, 2 touchdowns with a rating of 106.3. Now after two games: 595 yards and 7 touchdowns.

Lol Trey Lance isn’t throwing the ball enough. Dude has 194 yards in two games, no touchdowns and one interception. His rating is a whooping 55 overall.

Think it’s fair to say that if we even got average “offensive” play we could be 2-0.
This team is void of playmakers. Cooks is not a #1. Pierce is gonna be good. I love how he runs pissed off. That has to rub off on the Oline. Running game is still very bland though. It’s just “block your man” crap.
give me a trap, some pulling guards something!
Crazy thing, they were doing exactly that in the preseason. Lol why isn’t Pep running those type of plays now.

Last edited:
Truth is they've spent the last 2 years cleaning up the cap. I don't care how they spend their money as long as they have enough money left over to add the players they want to add.

Agreed about Howard, I tried to tell people. Just because a guy was drafted in the 1st rd doesn't mean they're a 1st rd talent.
I don't understand how you describe restructuring every contract that can be restructured, only to cut or trade most of those contracts that created $57MM in dead money as cleaning up the cap. Most reasonable people would say that's making a mess of things by someone in the kitchen who has no idea what they are cooking. That doesn't even count Culley's $20MM golden parachute.

BTW does anyone have Tim Kelly's telephone number?

I don't understand how you describe restructuring every contract that can be restructured, only to cut or trade most of those contracts that created $57MM in dead money as cleaning up the cap. Most reasonable people would say that's making a mess of things by someone in the kitchen who has no idea what they are cooking. That doesn't even count Culley's $20MM golden parachute.

BTW does anyone have Tim Kelly's telephone number?
Are they going to have plenty of cap space starting next yr?

How is Mills gonna show off his stuff with a o-line that can't block, receivers that drop the ball (or can't even get open) and RBs that can't make yardage in any appreciable amount? Mills can't be that good if his supporting cast isn't good.

Which doesn't mean Mills is any good in the first place. I just think some of yall are putting to much on Mills who's in a bad situation on a bad team.
Don't forget coaching hasn't been all that great either. But, still real early in the season.

Yep, Leebig was talking about adding playmakers. I know the defense needs help. But Smith-Njigba and a TE like Washington or Gilbert in the 2nd and Mills will look much better. If he doesn't then pick Ewers in the 2024 draft.

Tunsil minus an ill timed penalty played well. You didn't hear much from an elite pass rusher Bradley Chubb on Sunday. Howard on the other hand struggled with Gregory even though he had help. On one play both Pharaoh and Howard were pass blocking Gregory and Gregory still put major pressure on Mills. Unacceptable

Last edited:
Ewers has played less that 1/2 of one college game. A bit early to talk about taking him 21/2 years down the road
Agreed, I liked his poise. With Manning coming I bet Ewers comes out after next year if he does as well as I think he's going to do. After next year will be his 3rd year. 1 at Ohio State and 2 at Texas.

Agreed about Howard, I tried to tell people.

Tried to tell people what?

Just because a guy was drafted in the 1st rd doesn't mean they're a 1st rd talent.

That's not what he's arguing, at least basic reading comprehension doesn't get you there from what he said.

Tytus Howard's contract also expires after the 2023 season.
The context is poor money management. He's saying that salary cap increase you think we’ll have will be impacted by bigger contracts for guys you want to keep past their rookie deals.

That Howard sucks and Caserio shouldn't have given him that 5th yr option. That money could've added playmakers at WR and TE in FA.

Last edited:
Are they going to have plenty of cap space starting next yr?
Are they going to mismanage it as poorly as Caserby has done since they got here? If we use history as a guide then we can expect another FUBAR only on a much grander scale.

Last edited:
I dont believe the salary cap will an issue after this yr. If Caserio wants to add somebody the cap space will be available.
sigh... that's not my argument.
You got to understand that along with the cap going up, that $60M dead money goes away
I'm just saying Texian wasn't arguing Howard's talent. He was arguing Caserio's cap management

Are they going to mismanage it as poorly as Caserby has done since they got here? If we use history as a guide then we can expect another FUBAR only on a much grander scale.

I dont care how Caserio spends money, it's not my money. What I care about is, is there going to be enough cap space to add talent to the roster? I'm guessing there will be plenty of cap space available. This is the reason paying off Culley to go away didn't bother me at all.

Last edited:
Back