Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

David Culley Fired After One Season!

mws

Rookie
And I would think that this is Nick's last chance to pick a HC for this franchise? Obviously, that's purely an assumption and anything is possible with Cal. He might see HCs the way that O'Brien saw QBs. lol
As sad as it is Cal makes his dad look like a football genius. Since Cal took over the Texans have had a strong Oilers\Jaguars\Lions vibe to me. It seems they are just floundering around with no direction or with no real solution in sight. I sure hope I'm wrong.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
As sad as it is Cal makes his dad look like a football genius. Since Cal took over the Texans have had a strong Oilers\Jaguars\Lions vibe to me. It seems they are just floundering around with no direction or with no real solution in sight. I sure hope I'm wrong.
To your point. Since Bob McNair passed in 2018, the Texans have hired and fired more GMs and HCs than they did in the previous 16 years under McNair.

KarlK

Waterboy
Not your money, but we should care about the FO making smart decisions. Hiring Culley and guaranteeing him $22mil was not smart. What gives you confidence McNair/Caserio won't do something equally dumb a 2nd time?
Seriously. "Doesn't really matter to me it's not my money" is a bizarre way to explain away front office incompetence. You can pretty much use this lame response for any bad financial decision they make.

Financial ineptitude in any form is indicative of a subpar front office. Not something I wanna see in the leadership team of a franchise I cheer for.

KarlK

Waterboy
It's McClain, Pelessero, and Culley (per Aaron Wilson) vs. Schefter and SteelB's unknown source. Logic says Culley would be much more upset at being fired with a $4 million vs. $17 million severance.
There is no discussion to even be had here. Even if it is just McClain, his word far exceeds that of some anonymous message board poster

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
The Texans either thought Culley was the answer when they hired him (which is frightening) or they really did just hire him knowing they'd can him in a year or so, which is not frightening but just plain idiocy. Either way it doesn't speak well of the Texans.
every now & then you’ll see a team take a chance on a guy. I believe they took a chance here. knowing this year was likely going to be bad anyway & it was probably a long shot…they gave Culley a chance. If it works, it looks like a genius move & they have him locked up for 5 years relatively on the cheap. If it doesn’t, they can cut bait after a year or 2 and move on.

I don’t believe for a second tho that they hired the guy with the intention of moving on after a year. They wanted it to work it just didn’t from their perspective.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
The more money Culley got, the happier I am for him.
I agree. Good for him. And, I'm not the least bit sad that Culley is no longer the head coach of the Texans. He was not good at the job. To be kind.

The money is not the point here. It's the perception that the McNairs don't care about the constant mismanagement of their cash cow. Can you even imagine Bob McNair allowing a head coach to be fired after one season? I don't even think that Kyle is happy about this. Did you see his and Hannah's expressions during the game on Sunday? They knew they were looking at Culley's last game. And they like Culley.

The pressure is now on Nick, Jack, and even Kyle. They have to change the image of the team. They have to put fannies back in the seats. They have to win. Honeymoon is over.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
It's McClain, Pelessero, and Culley (per Aaron Wilson) vs. Schefter and SteelB's unknown source. Logic says Culley would be much more upset at being fired with a $4 million vs. $17 million severance.
Man I am so over it I don’t even care anymore.

You can spin it three ways to Sunday with hypotheticals.

At the end of the day no one knows nothing and are going to believe what they want to believe to fit their agenda. And everyone myself included. At least I can admit no one knows.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.

I heard 610 say the same thing @steelbtexan did on the afternoon show a day or 2 ago. I know they are who they are and mostly it's opinions. When they (610) report something as fact, I stupidly presume someone there did a fact check.

Maybe they didn't?

I dunno and I don't care. At the end of the day, it's not my money or yours. So who cares right? I still do, and I'll tell you why. I don't want the McNair's getting so financially burned up over and over again that they become cheap like Dratyon McClain did. I want them 100% (all in $) on coaches, facilities, training staff, and free agents when necessary. I want this franchise to put the best product possible on the field. I want the best chance to win...

So just maybe "their money" spending should concern us all. Jmo.

(I quoted you @Lucky but my post is intended as a general thought and not directed at you.)

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I heard 610 say the same thing @steelbtexan did on the afternoon show a day or 2 ago. I know they are who they are and mostly it's opinions. When they (610) report something as fact, I stupidly presume someone there did a fact check.

Maybe they didn't?

I dunno and I don't care. At the end of the day, it's not my money or yours. So who cares right? I still do, and I'll tell you why. I don't want the McNair's getting so financially burned up over and over again that they become cheap like Dratyon McClain did. I want them 100% (all in $) on coaches, facilities, training staff, and free agents when necessary. I want this franchise to put the best product possible on the field. I want the best chance to win...

(I quoted you @Lucky but my post is intended as a general thought and not directed at you.)
Unfortunately, the McNairs don't put winning above all else. To them, image is more important than results

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Maybe they didn't?

This is what we Al want

The question is are the McNair's as commuted to winning as.we want them to be.

Truth us Cal is all in on Foxbro, we need to accept that or moveol on as a fan.base..

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
FWIW, McClain said on 610 this afternoon that Culley got $22 million for one year's work. Culley seemed pretty civil in his farewell statement, so I'm inclined to believe he didn't get stiffed.
Was McClain choking down a doughnut when he was saying this?

KarlK

Waterboy
Without going all the way back, here is one where you admit that you're not a Texans fan
https://www.texanstalk.com/threads/game-4-what-to-expect-indianapolis-colts.113534/page-2#post-2860645
In 2018. Then I moved to Houston 3 months after that post was made and have lived since. Not a Watson fan doesnt equate to not a Texan fan. Again though, none of this is relevant to the post I made.

Where are the posts where I’m outed as a Raider fan? I wanna see those. You said you remember them. Where are they?

powda

In 2018. Then I moved to Houston 3 months after that post was made and have lived since. Not a Watson fan doesnt equate to not a Texan fan. Again though, none of this is relevant to the post I made.

Where are the posts where I’m outed as a Raider fan? I wanna see those. You said you remember them. Where are they?
Are you a Texans fan now?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I agree. Good for him. And, I'm not the least bit sad that Culley is no longer the head coach of the Texans. He was not good at the job. To be kind.

The money is not the point here. It's the perception that the McNairs don't care about the constant mismanagement of their cash cow. Can you even imagine Bob McNair allowing a head coach to be fired after one season? I don't even think that Kyle is happy about this. Did you see his and Hannah's expressions during the game on Sunday? They knew they were looking at Culley's last game. And they like Culley.

The pressure is now on Nick, Jack, and even Kyle. They have to change the image of the team. They have to put fannies back in the seats. They have to win. Honeymoon is over.
This is why Cal is all in on Caerio. Hope Caserio gets this right. Otherwise we're in the middle of the lost decade, This is for sure, like it or not Cal went all in on te Foxboro model. Lets hope he gambled right..

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not your money, but we should care about the FO making smart decisions. Hiring Culley and guaranteeing him $22mil was not smart. What gives you confidence McNair/Caserio won't do something equally dumb a 2nd time?
2 yrs 8 mil

Well paid to take the heat

Why do you care about the McNair's $$$$?

dream_team

Hall of Fame
2 yrs 8 mil

Well paid to take the heat

Why do you care about the McNair's $$$$?
So I see you're still repeating old news. Most recents news are reporting Culley got 22mil.

If you don't care about how much money McNair is spending, then I don't want to see you complaining about increased ticket prices or poor decisions by Cal.

powda

So I see you're still repeating old news. Most recents news are reporting Culley got 22mil.

If you don't care about how much money McNair is spending, then I don't want to see you complaining about increased ticket prices or poor decisions by Cal.
If the product on the field sucks, the buck stops with Cal.

Didn't they just decrease prices?

The cost of your beer at the stadium probably isn't going to be effected by David Culley's salary.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
I hate when sports fans say "it's not your money who cares."

Uh, I want my teams to make sound decisions because I want them to be able to best compete, don't want them to be hamstrung, etc.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

Uh, I want my teams to make sound decisions because I want them to be able to best compete, don't want them to be hamstrung, etc.
In what way does Culley’s Salary hamstring the team? It doesn’t affect the cap no matter how much or how little it is. HC salary all comes out of the owners pocket.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Does Culley get the second year if Flores wasn't fired?
Yes, that's what triggered the Culley firing out of nowhere. The interesting thing to now watch for is if FLores takes another job and Mayo and McDaniels don't want anythng to do with Houston. What happens then? Do they rehire Culley?

Texian

Hall of Fame

Bingo! WINNER! WINNER! Chicken Dinners! If you're a poor fiduciary making irresponsible fiscal decisions, then your common sense, logic and deductive reasoning probably suffer the same poor decision-making processing ability. Caserio first year decisions confirm this. Culley is just another confirmation. Thanks for making and explaining this point so much better than I have.

Last edited: