Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Game 4...What To Expect?...Indianapolis Colts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do I expect?

...Pain. For us fellow Texans fans.
w2BZ.gif

There will be some good offensive linemen in this draft. Should we think about trading down if we end up with the #1 overall pick? We can likely end up with two or three instant starters and franchise cornerstones on that offensive line (automatic upgrades as rookies), along with a young stud at cornerback and running back, if we draft properly in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Not to mention we'll have a ton of salary cap space going into next off-season. Whatever needs we fail to target in the draft we can focus our free agency on.

The 2019 Texans will be in much better shape than 2018.

This season is a lost cause but the future could look bright.
Can you identify some of these cornerstone linemen in 2019 draft or who will be available in free agency? Most seem to remain with original team. So far only Jonah Williams of Alabama and Max Scharping of Boston College have impressed and not have history of concerning injuries. I agree we need at least one CB and a stud RB. So far corners excelling last season are not so good so far although Notre Dame's Julien Love is tackling everything in sight and Red Shirt Soph Rodarius 'Lee Lee' Williams is steady for OK St. His brother should come out as he is considered a top ten pick and Lee Lee IMO will want to taste NFL also. Their family can use the bucks now. If we could get Andreus with our first and Rodarius with a second, I'd be happy. Also, Alabama's RB Damien Harris is looking better and better. OK Rodney Anderson also continuing 2017 romp despite an ankle injury in his past.

If record gets us a top 10 pick: a trade down bring us 1a OT Jonah Williams and 1b Greedy Williams CB 2a Damien Harris Rb and 2b DE Zach Allen 3. OT Max Scharping to play OG and 4.
Dalton Risner, Kansas State to play RT. Round 5 should bring us solid corner or a safety. 6. a corner (deep position) if safety taken in 5th.

Trading Clowney for a second or a third and fifth is a possibility.

It's going to be tight. Within a score; the law of Watson is that you're always in the game. He's truly that special. I haven't seen anyone throw the ball (and he is not at the top of his game yet) like him in a long time. If anything, ditch the run sooner (we are doing teams a favor when we run the ball, we can't run the ball) and just try to let the passing game move it between the 20s with ease and put up numbers.

I don't think that they can stop our offense. I think what will hold us back is O'Brien will try extra hard to establish the run and some identity we don't have.

The first 2nd and 10 situation the Texans face, a running play will be called. Game will go to the Indys, 24-14.

I can see us winning and masking failures, thereby giving this ******* loser team and coaching staff an excuse to stay status quo.

There will be some good offensive linemen in this draft. Should we think about trading down if we end up with the #1 overall pick? We can likely end up with two or three instant starters and franchise cornerstones on that offensive line (automatic upgrades as rookies), along with a young stud at cornerback and running back, if we draft properly in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Not to mention we'll have a ton of salary cap space going into next off-season. Whatever needs we fail to target in the draft we can focus our free agency on.

The 2019 Texans will be in much better shape than 2018.

This season is a lost cause but the future could look bright.

We aren't going to end up with the #1 overall. We will win 6-9 games.

We aren't going to end up with the #1 overall. We will win 6-9 games.
The offensive line is just so bad that it's hard to envision that many wins this season. And it's just a matter of time until we lose some of our best players to season-ending injuries. You just know it's going to happen again as we've been snake bit like that for the past few years.

Although this new offensive lineman that we picked up recently and promoted from the practice squad may be an upgrade. They have to win at Indy on Sunday to make me believe they can win 6-9 games.

But keep in mind we're in danger of dropping to 0-4 this year, 2-15 all time at Indy and also 10 losses in a row overall. If that happens we're closer to having a top draft pick than winning 6+ games.

Looking at our schedule I don't see any easy wins. Even the games against the Bills and Browns will be tough. Both of those teams are improving. We may beat the Dallas Cowboys. Maybe. I thought the games against the Giants and Titans would be wins for us and we couldn't even beat a banged up Titans team.

We haven't won a game since last November... So please forgive me but let's win "one game first" before we start talking about 6-9 wins. That's the way I'm thinking which is sane right? I'm only being logical right now. I should be more crazy at 4 AM in the morning and joyfully drunk after celebrating the Astros 2018 AL West division title. LOL

I have no faith in this entire team whatsoever. We can't get any real pressure on any opposing teams. The Colts knows this and will take full advantage with a offense that's already utilizing the dink and donkey method to protect Luck.

Bill O'Brien stubborn ash will attempt to run that same crap just to see it's still doesn't work. He will then mix it up after halftime when we're down 13.

Colts 27
Texans 24

Last edited:
Reactions: ROO
I disagree with your assessment. Jadeveon Clowney can easily net us a second or third rounder for sure. And likely a late first rounder from a good team. He's just a year removed from a career high 9.5 sacks and Pro Bowl selection

But he's made some big plays the past two years, including being a beast on a #1 ranked defensive unit a couple years ago that had won a wild-card game over the Raiders. In which he set the tone in that playoff game with a huge turnover forced. They also held Tom Brady in check for 3.5 quarters in a divisional round playoff game.

There's quite a few teams that would love to have the talent of Clowney on their defense. And I still believe his best football is still ahead of him. He has to get over his injuries though.

Heck, Mario Williams left the Texans for the Bills and he immediately put up an incredible three-year stretch playing in Buffalo: 10.5 sacks in 2012, 13 sacks in 2013 and 14.5 sacks in 2014.

I could easily envision Jadeveon Clowney going down the same path of Mario Williams. In terms of putting up some excellent numbers elsewhere. Any good GM would try to maximize Clowney's trade value right now. Yes, he's off to a terrible start in 2018 but it's three games and he missed one with injury.

It's not rocket science. It's football! Clowney is a heck of a player.
And at 25 years old. Believe me, he has some trade value, IMO.

If he were 29 or 30 then I may agree with you.
I probably agree with you more than my original post. Really pissed that he has his attitude at this point and we drafted him before he matures mentally. Almost exactly like Mario. I have stated that if he gets traded he will have the first chip on his shoulder and the Texans better watch out when they play him. I think a different coach may be able to get more out of him but until he matures and has a chip on his shoulder I think he is what he is for the Texans. Not sure he will ever be durable physically. Would take any of the above picks for him and realize he is a better talent than what we may getting in return, but here now playing for the Texans I think you run into the exact same problem we had with Mario. You can't give him a huge contract based on his history here. Again I hope you are correct. Clowney in NO Mack so trading him is not the same as what the Raiders did. But again I think this plays out like it did with Mario because we are the Texans, we get nothing in return for our capital except compensatory picks. Do we get a third rounder if we let him walk?

If we lose to the Colts on Sunday that's ten losses in a row dating back to last year and an 0-4 record this season. We've become last year's Cleveland Browns! And the Browns have actually become a competitive team that's fun to watch.
With the right ownership, front office, and coaching any team can be the next Browns. We have two out of three for sure. Too soon to decide about Gaine. At least we did not sign JD to monster contract. We did sign BOB to an extension after 6 straight losses. If this was Gaine's call then we are there.

The offensive line is just so bad that it's hard to envision that many wins this season. And it's just a matter of time until we lose some of our best players to season-ending injuries. You just know it's going to happen again as we've been snake bit like that for the past few years.

Although this new offensive lineman that we picked up recently and promoted from the practice squad may be an upgrade. They have to win at Indy on Sunday to make me believe they can win 6-9 games.

But keep in mind we're in danger of dropping to 0-4 this year, 2-15 all time at Indy and also 10 losses in a row overall. If that happens we're closer to having a top draft pick than winning 6+ games.

Looking at our schedule I don't see any easy wins. Even the games against the Bills and Browns will be tough. Both of those teams are improving. We may beat the Dallas Cowboys. Maybe. I thought the games against the Giants and Titans would be wins for us and we couldn't even beat a banged up Titans team.

We haven't won a game since last November... So please forgive me but let's win "one game first" before we start talking about 6-9 wins. That's the way I'm thinking which is sane right? I'm only being logical right now. I should be more crazy at 4 AM in the morning and joyfully drunk after celebrating the Astros 2018 AL West division title. LOL

Not a Texan fan, but you have numerous games on the schedule you can realistically say you could win:

Indy, Dallas, Buffalo, Tenn, Cle, Mia
At Indy, At Denver, At Wash, At NY Jets

All of these are tremendously flawed football teams

Not a Texan fan, but you have numerous games on the schedule you can realistically say you could win:

We said the same thing about the Giants, Tenn and Patriots. I don't see anymore gimme wins until the Texans prove they can win one.

I don't even know the coaching staffs on these other teams but I would be willing to bet ours is worse as it stands now. We have a double whammy BOB is our HC and OC. We have one foot in the grave against all these teams before the game starts because of our coaching. Coaching matters in close games. Too many examples to go over.

Statement from #Texans team physician Dr. James Muntz on S Andre Hal. pic.twitter.com/fBsQDz84iw

— Houston Texans (@HoustonTexans) September 26, 2018

O’Brien said that he speaks with the McNairs regularly. #Texans

— Brian T. Smith (@ChronBrianSmith) September 26, 2018

O’Brien said that Bob McNair has made it clear that #Texans must "improve."

— Brian T. Smith (@ChronBrianSmith) September 26, 2018

Bill O’Brien said the #Texans have "a number of ways" to deal with the absence of Bruce Ellington (now on IR). Asked if rookie WR Keke Coutee is close, he just said "yep."

— Aaron Reiss (@aaronjreiss) September 26, 2018

#Texans DE J.J. Watt on losing record: " 0-3 is enough. You can take it back farther but 0-3 is enough."

— Cole Thompson (@MrColeThompson) September 26, 2018

Deshaun Watson says through his first 0-3 start, he’s learned to deal with adversity, dig deep and look at the details. #Texans

— Deepi Sidhu (@DeepSlant) September 26, 2018

#Texans QB Deshaun Watson on red zone efficiency: "Penalties and negative plays. Once you get those, it goes from 50% to 20% on chances of scoring."

— Cole Thompson (@MrColeThompson) September 26, 2018

Brian T. Smith

✔@ChronBrianSmith

https://twitter.com/ChronBrianSmith/status/1044989451527753728

Watson emphasizing #Texans' red-zone issues. Said team is moving the ball but then hitting a wall within 20. Believes that with a few more TDs, Texans could be 3-0.

11:37 AM - Sep 26, 2018

Deepi Sidhu

✔@DeepSlant

https://twitter.com/DeepSlant/status/1044988642740105216

Watson says penalties and negative plays in the red zone need to be eliminated. "Take those two away and #Texans will start scoring more."

11:34 AM - Sep 26, 2018

I predict this game (or one of the next few games) that out of desperation, BOB will revert to the play calling we saw last year for Watson, with the majority of plays being play action, rollouts, qb keepers and all the looks we saw out of the motion sets last year. And I predict that it works as well as it did last year. I also predict that the folks blaming the players for this year's outcome so far will say, 'see the players are finally executing'.

The offense we were running last year compensated for poor pass protection.
The qb run threat eliminated 1 player from rushing the qb. Bring the spy, pay the price. The motion looks were exactly the same for the run and pass which keeps the D line guessing and buys a half second or so in pass pro. When the play fakes didn't work, the rollouts also made it easier for W avoid the rush in the open field rather than a collapsing pocket. All of this to say no, the players won't finally be executing when the play calling changes. But the coaching will have changed to put the players in a position to succeed.

My biggest concern is that what I'm predicting happens and the ownership gets fooled into thinking that he really is a good coach after all for fixing the problem. When in reality he doesn't belong in the league for not recognizing the same Oline problems as last year and not calling the same game to compensate for it.

I predict this game (or one of the next few games) that out of desperation, BOB will revert to the play calling we saw last year for Watson, with the majority of plays being play action, rollouts, qb keepers and all the looks we saw out of the motion sets last year. And I predict that it works as well as it did last year. I also predict that the folks blaming the players for this year's outcome so far will say, 'see the players are finally executing'.

The offense we were running last year compensated for poor pass protection.
The qb run threat eliminated 1 player from rushing the qb. Bring the spy, pay the price. The motion looks were exactly the same for the run and pass which keeps the D line guessing and buys a half second or so in pass pro. When the play fakes didn't work, the rollouts also made it easier for W avoid the rush in the open field rather than a collapsing pocket. All of this to say no, the players won't finally be executing when the play calling changes. But the coaching will have changed to put the players in a position to succeed.

My biggest concern is that what I'm predicting happens and the ownership gets fooled into thinking that he really is a good coach after all for fixing the problem. When in reality he doesn't belong in the league for not recognizing the same Oline problems as last year and not calling the same game to compensate for it.

Agreed,

What happens when Watson gets hurt again running last yrs offense? Do you look for a new QB in the draft?

Agreed,

What happens when Watson gets hurt again running last yrs offense? Do you look for a new QB in the draft?
I feel better about him not getting hurt in the open field than in the pocket where he may not see the hits coming and bodies pile up. Flipping this around on you - do you feel like Seahawks fans would prefer a traditional pocket for Wilson or how is this different? Not dodging your question, but saying treat the qb situation like Seattle does.

Luck still can't throw a ball further than 20 yards. I hope the Texans exploit that.

Reactions: JB
I feel better about him not getting hurt in the open field than in the pocket where he may not see the hits coming and bodies pile up. Flipping this around on you - do you feel like Seahawks fans would prefer a traditional pocket for Wilson or how is this different? Not dodging your question, but saying treat the qb situation like Seattle does.

How many ACL surgeries has Wilson had?

So you're saying that if Watson played the way Wilson does he wouldn't have had the acl's?

Not what I was saying at all. I was saying you cant expect Watson with an ACL operation on both knees and 1 ACL operation within the last yr to play effectively playing with the same style Wilson does.

Until they fix the offensive line why bring in more QBs they can break? I'd just as soon them spend all their picks on the o-line and hope they jell before Watson is shipped off to the broken QB home. We can always pick up another QB for OB to ruin.

I'm in agreement with you but was wondering how others felt. I was the guy that wanted to build the OL instead of picking Watson because this is how I thought things would work out.

I'm in agreement with you but was wondering how others felt. I was the guy that wanted to build the OL instead of picking Watson because this is how I thought things would work out.

It's not that Watson wasn't a good pick or not, it's that they bet the farm on him and then failed to protect him. That doesn't make a bit of sense to me. But I guess it does to the Texans, which is why they suck right now.

It's not that Watson wasn't a good pick or not, it's that they bet the farm on him and then failed to protect him. That doesn't make a bit of sense to me. But I guess it does to the Texans, which is why they suck right now.

2nd time in franchise history.

History is repeating itself.

2nd time in franchise history.

History is repeating itself.

I can see the first time, them being a new franchise and all, but even that wore thin after watching a few years of Carr run for his life dinking and dunking his way to another punt. And now to watch Watson, who could be a once in a lifetime QB, doing the same thing just aggravates the sh!t out of me.

If the Texans win on Sunday they have a shot at going 13-3. Remember that the Oilers went 12-4 after starting 1-4.

Sorry, just read “The Leadership is in Place...” thread for the first time and it got me all optimistic again.

I can see the first time, them being a new franchise and all, but even that wore thin after watching a few years of Carr run for his life dinking and dunking his way to another punt. And now to watch Watson, who could be a once in a lifetime QB, doing the same thing just aggravates the sh!t out of me.

Me too

If they finish with a top 5 pick and Watson hurts his knee again do you spend the top 5 pick on a QB?

Most definitely. Because Watson would be going down the same injury path as RG3.

I would then try to maneuver around a few picks hoping two land 2 draft selection in the second round. That way we can draft a few offensive linemen.

I feel bad for Thorn and all the older Houston Texans fans out there. You guys deserve to see a much better football team. Not the same under-achieving crap we've been watching since 2002. With the exception of that 10-6 and 12-4 season in 2011 and 2012.

When we were an NFL best 11-1 through 12 games during the 2012 regular season that seemed like a dream. And even that year we stumbled to a 1-3 finish and lost home field advantage at 12-4. We should have went 15-1 or 14-2 that year. Playing the Patriots at home in the divisional round could have made a huge difference for us.

But I digress, sixteen years of watching the Houston Texans and I just want to take a deep breath and breathe again. All that happened to me is a lot of high blood pressure, tons of lingering stress and more gray hairs watching every Texans game. And I'm still in my 30's but look much older.

I was a young and strong, handsome teenager in college when I first started watching the Texans play in 2002. Now I have doubts that I'll even live to see 40 years of age thanks to the Texans... They're affecting my health and I can't do it much longer.

Sure, a Texans win at Indy on Sunday may cheer me up.
But I expect a loss and an 0-4 record. 2-15 all time at Indy.

Maybe we'll beat the Dallas Cowboys on NBC's Sunday Night Football the following week to avoid going 0-5 with 11 losses in a row overall. And even then I'm not too confident that we'll win. The Cowboys defeated the Giants and the Giants had no problems beating us.

Yep. I think people forget, or don't want to admit, but Carr showed promise the first couple years. I didn't really lose faith in him until the back half of his third season. Hell, I remember in 2003 in the game vs. the Falcons, he came back in after sustaining a shoulder injury. He showed grit. I remember thinking at the time with his physical tools and that grit, he could go far. But they beat the hell out of him by not protecting him, never really got him to handle his business like a pro, and coached him very strangely in some aspects.

I'd hate to start losing faith in Watson sometime in his third season. Ugh.

What to expect ?!

I was gonna say I expected @Bulls on Parade to come homer it up but I see even he's disgusted by last weeks suckitude as the rest of us.
When the teams biggest sunshine and rainbows homer has the sky falling .... you've reached a new low.

I expect OB to suck the wind out of the stadium.

I expect the OL to fail epically.

I expect the defense to almost but not quite ….

I expect them to lose again.

I wish I could say I expected to see OB gone before the mid point of the schedule .... but I don't expect that , hell I don't expect him gone next season.

Until they fix the offensive line why bring in more QBs they can break? I'd just as soon them spend all their picks on the o-line and hope they jell before Watson is shipped off to the broken QB home. We can always pick up another QB for OB to ruin.

I got my butt jumped in here for uttering that same exact sentiment. Build the trenches first and foremost. QB's and the other skill positions flourish and produce their best results when the trenches are manned with high caliber athletes.

1. Trenches (incl/ TE)

2. QB

3. Window Dressing (RB, WR, DB)

You and I were fighting this battle. Luck was considered the best natural QB (with all the abilities) to come into the NFL in ages. His ceiling was amazingly high. Give him a crappy OL and no running game and the Colts have reduced him to a shell of himself. If that shoulder doesn't finish healing, his star is going to burn out prematurely.....Colts can blame themselves for this.

You and I were fighting this battle. Luck was considered the best natural QB (with all the abilities) to come into the NFL in ages. His ceiling was amazingly high. Give him a crappy OL and no running game and the Colts have reduced him to a shell of himself. If that shoulder doesn't finish healing, his star is going to burn out prematurely.....Colts can blame themselves for this.

that's what happens when you don't get your 1st round pick which is a QB the O-line that he needs which is what is going to happen to Deshuan if the Texans don't build an O-line for him sooner rather than later

I feel bad for Thorn and all the older Houston Texans fans out there. You guys deserve to see a much better football team. Not the same under-achieving crap we've been watching since 2002. With the exception of that 10-6 and 12-4 season in 2011 and 2012.

When we were an NFL best 11-1 through 12 games during the 2012 regular season that seemed like a dream. And even that year we stumbled to a 1-3 finish and lost home field advantage at 12-4. We should have went 15-1 or 14-2 that year. Playing the Patriots at home in the divisional round could have made a huge difference for us.

But I digress, sixteen years of watching the Houston Texans and I just want to take a deep breath and breathe again. All that happened to me is a lot of high blood pressure, tons of lingering stress and more gray hairs watching every Texans game. And I'm still in my 30's but look much older.

I was a young and strong, handsome teenager in college when I first started watching the Texans play in 2002. Now I have doubts that I'll even live to see 40 years of age thanks to the Texans... They're affecting my health and I can't do it much longer.

Sure, a Texans win at Indy on Sunday may cheer me up.
But I expect a loss and an 0-4 record. 2-15 all time at Indy.

Maybe we'll beat the Dallas Cowboys on NBC's Sunday Night Football the following week to avoid going 0-5 with 11 losses in a row overall. And even then I'm not too confident that we'll win. The Cowboys defeated the Giants and the Giants had no problems beating us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back