Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

David Culley Fired After One Season!

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Agree.
Who wants to come to an organization with such a happy trigger finger?
Culley was uninspiring, but he had a bad situation to begin with.
At least TK will be gone too.
Absolutely. On top of everything, from an image standpoint its awful for a team that doesn't have much to spare.

And zowie! We're gonna chase another Patriots Fantasy.

******* joy to the world.

What an incomprehensible decision. Absolutely terrible.

Is the next guy coming in going to come to a team that is close to being a powerhouse team? No. So why the **** are you getting rid of the guy who had the team at least mostly competitive and had a rookie qb looking decent despite having NOTHING?!
To pacify DW and try to keep him. I know BF has ties Easterby and Caserio or so it has been said but it also has been said that one of the teams DW wanted to be traded to was Miami. If that is the case is it not possible that BF was the main reason? I am just speculating based on that information. I don't know squat.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You state this in a matter of fact way like this is standard operating procedure for NFL teams to hire and fire placeholder coaches while a GM waits for his guy. When in NFL history has a team operated in this fashion?
This happens in business quite often. In the NFL not so much. But there's quite a few coaches that have been fired fired 1-2 ys and teams have brought in who they originally wanted to hire. I cant remember who Vance Joseph replaced but Joseph was a HC in waiting for the Broncos.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame

“Earlier today, I met with David Culley and Tim Kelly to inform them we will be moving in a different direction at the head coach and offensive coordinator positions,” Caserio said in the statement. “I came to this difficult but necessary decision after reviewing our football operation. While a change after one season is unusual, we had philosophical differences over the long-term direction and vision for our program moving forward. We appreciate coach Culley for helping us navigate through a difficult season, but it is my responsibility to make decisions that I feel are best for our organization. The search for the next coach of the Houston Texans will begin immediately.”

Texansballer74

The Marine
I believe I mentioned this outcome quite a while back. I figured McDaniels would be the target but I didn’t plan on the Dolphins canning Flores. Flores may be the better hire since he and Caserio should be able to convince Pep Hamilton to stay on as the new OC. Who knows, McDaniels may very well be willing to do the same thing if given the option. Overall…..I think the Texans gig will be much better than the Bears gig in the long run.
Nobody saw that coming, not even these media experts. (Flores firing)

Mangler

Toro de España
Lets see who the new HC is before Texian jumps to conclusions.
Yeah, good luck with that. (Texan not jumping to conclusions)

“Earlier today, I met with David Culley and Tim Kelly to inform them we will be moving in a different direction at the head coach and offensive coordinator positions,” Caserio said in the statement. “I came to this difficult but necessary decision after reviewing our football operation. While a change after one season is unusual, we had philosophical differences over the long-term direction and vision for our program moving forward. We appreciate coach Culley for helping us navigate through a difficult season, but it is my responsibility to make decisions that I feel are best for our organization. The search for the next coach of the Houston Texans will begin immediately.”
Caserio is a fuccin boss!

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
McNair and the Texans had to go into the Culley hire with the understanding that there was a significant chance that he would not work out beyond the first or second year...........and were willing to pay him the entire contract under those circumstances. Culley's history is not one of a coach that has ever "taken charge," and for anyone to have believed that they were hiring him as a HC with any intentions other than keeping things smoother through a rocky trip without complaining, while holding the spot open for when a much more qualified desirable candidate came along, is not being realistic. Since it had no cap implications, and the money coming entirely out of McNair's pocket, McNair had to be totally on board and willing to eat the money in return for a promising long-term outcome.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I was neutral on Culley. Was sure we could upgrade, but was ok riding out one more year while we build the roster. He did get 4 wins with this crappy roster. TK had to go, and wanted to keep Lovie. We got the wins because the defense and turnovers, so I hope they keep Lovie and give him some new toys. As others stated, I like keeping PEP for Mills to have a solid footing, but will all depend on the HC hire. It sure looks like a Patriot though, McDaniels, Mayo or FLores.

austins23

Hall of Fame
McNair and the Texans had to go into the Culley hire with the understanding that there was a significant chance that he would not work out beyond the first or second year...........and were willing to pay him the entire contract under those circumstances. Culley's history is not one of a coach that has ever "taken charge," and for anyone to have believed that they were hiring him as a HC with any intentions other than keeping things smoother through a rocky trip without complaining, while holding the spot open for when a much more qualified desirable candidate came along, is not being realistic. Since it had no cap implications, and the money coming entirely out of McNair's pocket, McNair had to be totally on board and willing to eat the money in return for a promising long-term outcome.
Long version of “he’s a camp coach”
And I’m pretty sure he was informed of such when he was hired. He’ll take his ~22mil and ride of into the sunset

Texian

Hall of Fame
It is distinctly possible that the reason Culley was hired is because no self-respecting HC could be found that would agree to joining this circus clown show and being shot out of cannon into a burning garbage dumpster. The Houston Texans is now much like a funeral home. It's a place where the careers of HC go to die.

It's a brand-new year and the rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic has begun. This time starting at the top.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
One thing I know is that Sam Wyche flat out hated Jerry Glanville. Remember in 1989 when the Bengals beat the Oilers 61-7. He even called time out with something like 20 seconds left in the game when he was up 58-7 so they could kick a final field goal.

I saw Boomer Esiason say that the players would intentionally get Wyche to fly into a rage just by mentioning Glanville's name.
Oh lord, that was a bloodbath, it was like 52-0 before we even scored. For some reason as a 19 year old kid I watched the entire game. I wouldn't do that now of course.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
I was neutral on Culley. Was sure we could upgrade, but was ok riding out one more year while we build the roster. He did get 4 wins with this crappy roster. TK had to go, and wanted to keep Lovie. We got the wins because the defense and turnovers, so I hope they keep Lovie and give him some new toys. As others stated, I like keeping PEP for Mills to have a solid footing, but will all depend on the HC hire. It sure looks like a Patriot though, McDaniels, Mayo or FLores.
I want Pep and his WCO. I would think it would suit Mills well. Who knows what will happen but that would be my hope.

Yea he was trying to get a gig in the XFL, the dude is 80 and still looking to coach somewhere. Amazing, he actually looks pretty good at 80.
I agree he does look pretty darn good for 80. Seems spry enough to coach in an alternative league but I think the stress of working in the NFL is a whole nother thing.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Do you think Culley was hired to be the long term coaching solution for the Texans? I think not. From day one I think it was near unanimous that Culley was a placeholder. If the coach the organization wants as their "franchise" coach comes available, of course the placeholder coach is going to be fired. I seriously doubt that "the plan" was to replace Culley after only one year. But you have to play the cards as they are delt.

The Texans could have hired Josh McDaniels last year (I believe this is correct) but they didn't.

Flores had just completed the second year of his contract as a head coach, so was unavailable. If Flores was the guy Caserio wanted, then the team had to hire a placeholder coach and wait out Flores' contract. His firing caught everyone by surprise, and with as many as six teams looking for a new HC, there is a lot of interest in Flores.

The Texans had to play the cards as they were delt.

So the question is, is Flores the man they want?
I'm sorry. But this placeholder justification theory and so many posters being okay with it is just suprising to me. My problem is when a GM is hired, he should immediately start thinking about how to proceed with putting a winning product on the field not how can he wait for his BFF to be available. What if Belichick decided to retire this year and McDaniels replaced him? What if the Dolphins don't fire Flores? What about Culley getting some breaks and winning 6 games? They would just ride with Culley for another year or two? Knowing that he is not the long term solution and a terrible HC? That's my point. Culley should not have been hired in the first place. You hire the best available people immediately to help you rebuild the franchise.

Don't get me wrong. IMHO, Culley should not have been hired, I don't really care that he got fired and Kelly should have left with BOB. However, didn't they decline interview requests for Kelly? Did Pep, Lovie and Campen know they were being hired to work for a "placeholder" HC that might last just one year? If they knew. Would they have wasted a year of their lives being pawns in Caserio and Easterby's cynical, "wait for our guy" game?

This Easterby was hired to bring Caserio and Culley was hired to wait on McDaniels is so outside the norm. It's the same dysfunction and BS that is the foundation of this franchise but now that the dysfunction and BS is coming from ex Patriots and people they like, many posters now water down the BS and dysfunction. IMHO, no matter how you slice it. It's still BS and dysfunction. The Texans are an outlier in how they are conducting business. Time will tell if this Culture Club @ NRG management style will work. Personally, if I was a competent assistant coach, I would not want any part of this club.

Last edited:
I am not necessarily pulling for BF but it is quite impressive how he turned the Dolphins around after such an awful start. I thought I heard some sports reporter say that he had the biggest turn around in NFL history. I may be wrong but none the less the turn around was quite impressive.

wildroot

Rookie
I am not necessarily pulling for BF but it is quite impressive how he turned the Dolphins around after such an awful start. I thought I heard some sports reporter say that he had the biggest turn around in NFL history. I may be wrong but none the less the turn around was quite impressive.
The '93 Oiler ran off 11 in a row after starting 1-4 to finish 12-4.

You state this in a matter of fact way like this is standard operating procedure for NFL teams to hire and fire placeholder coaches while a GM waits for his guy. When in NFL history has a team operated in this fashion?
dear owner, we are going to hire a guy who isn’t suited for the job as a placeholder and sign him to a contract where after we fire home after one season (because we all know he’s going to fail) you are still on the hook for $22 million. Sound good?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This is what I've been saying from the beginning Culley being a placeholder was part of a plan. Cal signed off on the plan.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
It is distinctly possible that the reason Culley was hired is because no self-respecting HC could be found that would agree to joining this circus clown show and being shot out of cannon into a burning garbage dumpster. The Houston Texans is now much like a funeral home. It's a place where the careers of HC go to die.

It's a brand-new year and the rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic has begun. This time starting at the top.
To be fair. It might be a funeral home but they have a big Expatriate Culture Club @ NRG where they even allow Cal to visit and watch game film on how the "process" made Tom Brady the GOAT. :smiliedance:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I'm sorry. But this placeholder justification theory and so many posters being okay with it is just suprising to me. My problem is when a GM is hired, he should immediately start thinking about how to proceed with putting a winning product on the field not how can he wait for his BFF to be available. What if Belichick decided to retire this year and McDaniels replaced him? What if the Dolphins don't fire Flores? What about Culley getting some breaks and winning 6 games? They would just ride with Culley for another year or two? Knowing that he is not the long term solution and a terrible HC? That's my point. Culley should not have been hired in the first place. You hire the best available people immediately to help you rebuild the franchise.

Don't get me wrong. IMHO, Culley should not have been hired, I don't really care that he got fired and Kelly should have left with BOB. However, didn't they decline interview requests for Kelly? Did Pep, Lovie and Campen know they were being hired to work for a "placeholder" HC that might last just one year? If they knew. Would they have wasted a year of their lives being pawns in Caserio and Easterby's cynical, "wait for our guy" game?

This Easterby was hired to bring Caserio and Culley was hired to wait on McDaniels is so outside the norm. It's the same dysfunction and BS that is the foundation of this franchise but now that the dysfunction and BS is coming from ex Patriots and people they like, many posters now water down the BS and dysfunction. IMHO, no matter how you slice it. It's still BS and dysfunction. The Texans are an outlier in how they are conducting business. Time will tell if this Culture Club @ NRG management style will work. Personally, if I was a competent assistant coach, I would not want any part of this club.
Art Shell
Freddie Kitchens
Steve Wilks
Romeo Crennel

Hell The 49ers post Harbaugh had 2 1 year HC’s back to back with Jim Tonsula & Chip Kelly…before landing Shanahan.

it usually takes 2 years, but it’s not really as uncommon as you think for these GM’s to hire a “placeholder” HC.

I put that in quotations b/c I don’t believe that’s an accurate description of what those types of hires are.

Last edited:

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

If you can come here and get a guaranteed 5 year contract, I mean, the McNair's give those out like they're Halloween candy. Sign me up.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Art Shell
Freddie Kitchens
Steve Wilks

Hell The 49ers post Harbaugh had 2 1 year HC’s back to back with Jim Tonsula & Chip Kelly…before landing Shanahan.

it usually takes a minimum of 2 years, but it’s not really as uncommon as you think for these GM’s to hire a “placeholder” HC.

I put that in quotations b/c I don’t believe that’s an accurate description of what those types of hires are.
That's true. But none of those guys were hired to be "placeholders". Kitchens was hired because he replaced Hue Jackson, finished with a 5-3 record and his relationship with Baker Mayfield. Wilks was seen as a hot candidate and an up and coming defensive mind. I don't recall the details of Shell's multiple stints with the Raiders.

For clarification. I don't have an issue with firing a HC with a minimum of 1 or 2 years. I don't even have any issues with a succession plan for an older HC and a qualified assistant on staff ready to take over. My issue is the normalizing of this "placeholder" HC theory. It's not how teams operate.

Last edited:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
That's true. But none of those guys were hired to be "placeholders". Kitchens was hired because he replaced Hue Jackson, finished with a 5-3 record and his relationship with Baker Mayfield. Wilks was seen as a hot candidate and an up and coming defensive mind. I don't recall Shell's multiple stints with the Raiders.

For clarification. I don't have an issue with firing a HC with a minimum of 1 or 2 years. I don't even have any issues with a succession plan for an older HC and a qualified assistant on staff ready to take over. My issue is the normalizing of this "placeholder" HC theory. It's not how teams operate.
Ehh, depends on how u view it I guess. Les Snead let Jeff Fisher hang on for 5 horrible years as the HC of the Rams all the while knowing the Rams would be moving to LA within the next 2-3 years. He let that dude put up some horrible teams in that time & it was painfully obvious Fisher wasn’t the future by year 2. AS SOON as they got to LA, Snead ups and fires Fisher and hires McVay “just in time” complete with a loaded out young talented & cheap roster.

So my question to you is, do you consider Fisher a “placeholder” HC even tho Snead kept him around for 5 long grueling years……as he replenished the Rams roster with the high draft picks from Fisher’s shitty teams…..& b/c of Fisher’s experience with teams moving from 1 city to another? It’s the same placeholder HC concept just drawn out longer.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It is distinctly possible that the reason Culley was hired is because no self-respecting HC could be found that would agree to joining this circus clown show and being shot out of cannon into a burning garbage dumpster.
They could have hired Pep or Lovie as HC