Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Culley's Offense & More on his ideas(article)

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Hopefully he can grow under the new regime and learn to run routes better, in addition to stopping his infuriating tendency to fumble the ball on what seems like once per every 10 catches. Culley being a Wr coach should be able to help Counter with this.

I know most posters think BOBs play calling was his biggest fault. To me hiring a staff that couldn't develop players like Coutee that are obviously talented was BOBs biggest fault.
Yes, you have to be able to find and develop players outside of rounds 1-3, even 4. Not enough picks to accumulate a complete line-up, much less depth.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Hopefully he can grow under the new regime and learn to run routes better, in addition to stopping his infuriating tendency to fumble the ball on what seems like once per every 10 catches. Culley being a Wr coach should be able to help Counter with this.

I know most posters think BOBs play calling was his biggest fault. To me hiring a staff that couldn't develop players like Coutee that are obviously talented was BOBs biggest fault.
You know, with the right receivers and strength/conditioning coach(s) the Texans have talent at the WR position that could develop into a pretty decent crew. One of the easier off-season moves would be to re-sign Fuller. He's going to be cheap and I just don't think any NFL team is going to be banging down his door to give him a major contract.......for what? Fuller will be signing a 1 year prove-it type of deal laden with bonuses until he proves he can complete a full, clean, and productive season. Texans might as well be the team to give him his chance.

WR- Fuller
WR- Hansen
WR- Cobb
WR- Coutee
WR- Coulter

1 solid WR from the draft would round out this group.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You know, with the right receivers and strength/conditioning coach(s) the Texans have talent at the WR position that could develop into a pretty decent crew. One of the easier off-season moves would be to re-sign Fuller. He's going to be cheap and I just don't think any NFL team is going to be banging down his door to give him a major contract.......for what? Fuller will be signing a 1 year prove-it type of deal laden with bonuses until he proves he can complete a full, clean, and productive season. Texans might as well be the team to give him his chance.

WR- Fuller
WR- Hansen
WR- Cobb
WR- Coutee
WR- Coulter

Agreed

Cooks is more likely to be a Texans next yr than WFV though.

Earl34

Hall of Fame

WR- Fuller
WR- Hansen
WR- Cobb
WR- Coutee
WR- Coulter

If they didn't have this self-inflicted drama with Watson, with a new OL coach, a cheaper and better replacement for Johnson, re-sign Fuller and focus everything else on improving the defense, they could have been in such a better position to compete next year. But that was too much to ask. Another missed opportunity by the Texans.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If they didn't have this self-inflicted drama with Watson, with a new OL coach, a cheaper and better replacement for Johnson, re-sign Fuller and focus everything else on improving the defense, they could have been in such a better position to compete next year. But that was too much to ask. Another missed opportunity by the Texans.
Before the end of the season, when I thought Watson was in for the long haul, I felt the Texans were going to do the right thing & purge a lot of contracts. I felt 2021 wasn’t going to be good for the Texans & 2022 might see a glimmer of hope.

But since Watson got twisted, I think that changes the way the Texans approach 2021. They have to show they are making effort to make the Texans competitive in 2021. I believe that’s going to lead to a lot of bad decisions.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yep

Your guy screwed them, not that I think they could've been a championship contender with him.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Before the end of the season, when I thought Watson was in for the long haul, I felt the Texans were going to do the right thing & purge a lot of contracts. I felt 2021 wasn’t going to be good for the Texans & 2022 might see a glimmer of hope.

But since Watson got twisted, I think that changes the way the Texans approach 2021. They have to show they are making effort to make the Texans competitive in 2021. I believe that’s going to lead to a lot of bad decisions.
They're going to be a bad football team next season.

OptimisticTexan

They're going to be a bad football team next season.
I didn’t want to like but reality is going to be reality in 2021. The Texans need to play hard for that 2022 top 5 draft position. If they’re working with multiple one’s it’ll be even better. Hope the Texans have solid draft this year so the “hope-meter” can be sky high for 2022.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yep. Because only one person is responsible for this mess. Trade his a$$, get a QB on a rookie contract and there will be parades on Kirby. :shades:
Atleast there will be a chance for parades on Kirby. The other way there was little to no chance. BTW, I never expect a McNair to hoist a Lombardi on Kirby and I dont think that bothers the McNair's one bit.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Atleast there will be a chance for parades on Kirby. The other way there was little to no chance. BTW, I never expect a McNair to hoist a Lombardi on Kirby and I dont think that bothers the McNair's one bit.
Awesome. I think we now have all our bases covered.
  • The McNairs will never win a championship
  • We are headed for or are in a lost decade
  • We are not winning a championship with DW4
  • We are not winning a championship without DW4
  • We have a better chance of winning a championship with a QB on a rookie contract

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Awesome. I think we now have all our bases covered.
  • We are headed for or are in a lost decade
  • We are not winning a championship with DW4
  • We are not winning a championship without DW4
  • We have a better chance of winning a championship with a QB on a rookie contract
Not in the next 4-5 yrs.

The numbers are what they are when it comes to DW4.

Hopefully The McNairs change the way they do business.

OptimisticTexan

Heard this name Roughnecks could be available and it comes with Red, Silver, and White team colors.
Gamblers might provide an easier road to a name and uniform change. I guess gambling is not exactly a thing in the bible belt......but, if you look at from a completely honest perspective, the Houston NFL franchise gambles with success each and every season. The other uncanny reality......the House has won 19 seasons straight.

So, Gamblers could work for all the wrong reasons but it could be a cool name if at some point and time the offense justifies the name.

For damm sure, don't use the black and red.....Texans current colors would work just fine with the old Gamblers logo as well.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
So, Gamblers could work for all the wrong reasons but it could be a cool name if at some point and time the offense justifies the name.
The Gamblers name reflected an attitude, on and off the field. On the field, they were the first pro team to commit fully to the 4 wide out run & shoot offense. Off the field, they were an upstart team in an upstart league trying make a dent into the pro sports fans' consciousness.

That's not the Houston NFL franchise. This franchise is based on risk manangement and groupthink circular logic. Never confident in what they're doing, they require a series of consultants and svengalis to point them in a non-sensical direction. I propose the name change to the Houston...

Sure, they were cute when they were young. But after two decades, they're just sad and smelly.

OptimisticTexan

The Gamblers name reflected an attitude, on and off the field. On the field, they were the first pro team to commit fully to the 4 wide out run & shoot offense. Off the field, they were an upstart team in an upstart league trying make a dent into the pro sports fans' consciousness.

That's not the Houston NFL franchise. This franchise is based on risk manangement and groupthink circular logic. Never confident in what they're doing, they require a series of consultants and svengalis to point them in a non-sensical direction. I propose the name change to the Houston...

Sure, they were cute when they were young. But after two decades, they're just sad and smelly.
It might come across as slightly crude but I guess Houston Circle-Jerks could be fitting. Team colors, red on the head, skin tone, and white seed,

Texian

Hall of Fame
Not in the next 4-5 yrs.

The numbers are what they are when it comes to DW4.

Hopefully The McNairs change the way they do business.
What you're hoping for is a burning and total destruction of the boardroom and moving all McNair offices to the other side of the stadium. No way the McNairs would agree to that. They still believe they're the smartest people in the room.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What you're hoping for is a burning and total destruction of the boardroom and moving all McNair offices to the other side of the stadium. No way the McNairs would agree to that. They still believe they're the smartest people in the room.
Unfortunately this post is most likely true.

Surely Cal can watch some Smokey and the Bandit and see the truth.

Last edited:

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member
People on here get off topic a whole lot so it is not like that is something new.
The message board is a written conversation. A conversation is going to always flow from the main point a bit and then turn back to the a handful of core issues. Actual news about Culley and his offensive philosophy of course would be a big help in keeping us on task.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
It probably doesn't help that no one knows what his offensive philosophy is since he's never been more than a position coach. Or, considering Kelly has been kept on as his OC, maybe we do know.
Seeing as we are stuck with him anyway I'm hoping Kelly can grow and create his own offense now that OB isn't cracking the whip to do it his way.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
The author of the article is a wannabe comedian.
If the Texans were to keep Johnson, they would need to find a way to lower his salary cap hit. Johnson is still under contract with Houston through 2021. It would cost the club $2.1 million in dead money to cut him before or after June 1. A trade would get Houston out of his contract, but Bill O’Brien is Alabama’s offensive coordinator, not an NFL general manager anywhere.
Hardy har har. Almost as funny as Caserio actually keeping David Johnson.

The message board is a written conversation. A conversation is going to always flow from the main point a bit and then turn back to a handful of core issues. Actual news about Culley and his offensive philosophy of course would be a big help in keeping us on task.
I have seen threads completely go way off topic and remain that way. I did nothing that was not in keeping with conversation flowing from the main point a bit and then turning back. Some people are just being selective and calling out those who's post go in a direction they don't like. I usually only go off topic when others have allowed that to happen and I never call anybody out or complain. I too would rather people not get too far off topic but it happens from time to time. Not that big of a deal. People can always leave post that gets everybody back on topic and if people insist on staying off topic they can tell you or others in charge that too many threads are getting off topic and staying that way. I am far from being the poster boy for changing topics.

Last edited:

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member
I have seen threads completely go way off topic and remain that way. I did nothing that was not in keeping with conversation flowing from the main point a bit and then turning back. Some people are just being selective and calling out those who's post go in a direction they don't like. I usually only go off topic when others have allowed that to happen and I never call anybody out or complain. I too would rather people not get too far off topic but it happens from time to time. Not that big of a deal. People can always leave post that gets everybody back on topic and if people insist on staying off topic they can tell you or others in charge that too many threads are getting off topic and staying that way. I am far from being the poster boy for changing topics.
Fair post. I know that in-person I am way worse about staying off-topic than online. and the little notes are helpful to me.