Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Last edited:

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Aaron Wilson

@AaronWilson_NFL

· 56m

Texans hiring veteran offensive line coach and former NFL center James Campen as their new offensive line coach under a three-year contract, according to league sources. Campen previously with Packers, Browns and Chargers after playing for Packers and Saints.
Wikipedia already updated!

Good thing. He has experience and been OL coach for multiple teams.

Bad thing. He's been OL coach for multiple teams. He can't hang onto the job for some reason.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Wikipedia already updated!

Good thing. He has experience and been OL coach for multiple teams.

Bad thing. He's been OL coach for multiple teams. He can't hang onto the job for some reason.
He was still under contract with the Packers when he took the Browns' job.
(Ie. He got paid more at the new job).

When Stefanski became the new HC with the Browns, he wanted Callahan who has been in the WCO for a long time as offensive line coach).

And of course, Lynn, the Chargers HC was fired recently.

banned1976

sleeper mode
The Texans new coaching staff is shaping out to be...odd. I don't think Lovie Smith is a good fit at all and Culley is a 65 year old rookie coach that really came out of nowhere. He was on nobodies radar to become a HC at this level.

I'm not going to bash these guys before I see how they do. I'm skeptical, though. Instead of looking to younger, more creative/inventive coaches, Texans went the opposite direction. And Lovie's defenses at U of Illinois weren't good. He was bad enough there that he was fired.

Really weird decisions. I think the Watson drama has put these hires way out in the distance but I feel like no matter what they do with Watson, this is a team will continue their downward spiral. Others have mentioned the Texans flipping the coaching staff again in another 3 years and I tend to agree.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
To say that I'm not inspired at all by Culley, Kelly, and Lovie is an understatement. The franchise has at least three years of scapegoats right there, tho'. :thinking:
Culley I can understand, he’s a complete dark horse.

Kelly I can understand, he’s a product of the OB coaching staff.

Lovie though I’ll admit I’m not sure why people don’t like the hire. I would agree if he was HC but as DC I don’t think it’s to bad. His defenses overall in the NFL have been pretty good.

So serious question what do people not like about it? Yeah it’s not a new, young hotshot hire but it is someone that at least has been there.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
So serious question what do people not like about it? Yeah it’s not a new, young hotshot hire but it is someone that at least has been there.
What we all want, and what we all would love to see, is a Texans team kicking serious ass for multiple years with some SB trophies to show for it. It's just we're used to what we've been getting and it's become what we expect. It's up to the Texans to turn us fans around, it's not up to the fans to do that on their own.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Basically, his uninspiring history:

"What are we getting with Mr. Smith? He returns to a coordinator position for the first time at the pro level since he oversaw the St. Louis Rams defense from 2001-2003. The 2001 Rams led the league in yards and points allowed under his stewardship." ~ Source

I'll give them all the so-called "benefit of the doubt", but like I said, it's not with confidence based on histories but rather just silly hope as a fan. Short leash for me, tho', and low expectations.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Basically, his uninspiring history:

"What are we getting with Mr. Smith? He returns to a coordinator position for the first time at the pro level since he oversaw the St. Louis Rams defense from 2001-2003. The 2001 Rams led the league in yards and points allowed under his stewardship." ~ Source

I'll give them all the so-called "benefit of the doubt", but like I said, it's not with confidence based on histories but rather just silly hope as a fan. Short leash for me, tho', and low expectations.
Just want to point out that your source is wrong. The 2001 Rams went to the SB and lost only 2 games that year before falling to the Pats and a very young Brady.

"After spending five years with Buccaneers, Smith was hired as the defensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams under head coach Mike Martz. While in St. Louis, Smith improved the Rams defense, which went from giving up a league-worst 29.4 points per game in 2000 to an average of 17.1 points in 2001."

Personally thats why I don't like Battleredblog, to many people poising as reporters when they are no different than people on this forum.

I can only think Lovie Smith was brought in as the experienced NFL coach to aid first time HC David Culley. Just like Crennel was to OB.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Just want to point out that your source is wrong. The 2001 Rams went to the SB and lost only 2 games that year before falling to the Pats and a very young Brady.

"After spending five years with Buccaneers, Smith was hired as the defensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams under head coach Mike Martz. While in St. Louis, Smith improved the Rams defense, which went from giving up a league-worst 29.4 points per game in 2000 to an average of 17.1 points in 2001."

Personally thats why I don't like Battleredblog, to many people poising as reporters when they are no different than people on this forum.
Wow, thanks for the heads up! Just looking at the stats from another site, and this dude is so far off that it's ludicrous. I'm embarrassed to even post his nonsense. lol

I'd trust guys on this site way more than a single blog simply for the fact that we hold each other accountable and help fact-check each other.

I'll have to dig deeper with Lovie's career. He might be the only bright spot to look forward to in 2021.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Wow, thanks for the heads up! Just looking at the stats from another site, and this dude is so far off that it's ludicrous. I'm embarrassed to even post his nonsense. lol

I'd trust guys on this site way more than a single blog simply for the fact that we hold each other accountable and help fact-check each other.

I'll have to dig deeper with Lovie's career. He might be the only bright spot to look forward to in 2021.
Don’t get me wrong, it isn’t all rainbows and unicorns. Lovie’s last years in Chicago and his two years in Tampa were not good. His college years in Illinois were bad as well but me personally I have trouble judging it because they hadn’t had a winning record in 5 years before he got there and they had a lot of freshmen. Seeing as I doubted top recruits wanted to go there he may not have had the talent to work with. Someone else that knows more about college football than me might can speak better.

I have some concerns but I’m also curious to see what he can do with NFL level talent again particularly if we spend picks on the defense.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
This makes me wonder if they are going to go after Josh McDaniels...

He's an OC now, they'd have to offer him some BS title like asst HC or something. Which would make sense because we're The Patriots South! :bag:
Except he's already turned down HC gigs