Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Clowney for JJ?

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Ok, JJ is pretty much as good as gone after the season. He has shown and said everything but the words "I'm Out!" to the city. And his press conference when he said.

"I don't know how long I have...But I have a few great years left... I'm not looking for a rebuild...I want to play for a title..."

Pretty much says it all. So, I was reading and started thinking about this.

Watt trade on draft day/as soon as possible for picks (3rd 2 mayb, maybe a 2nd and 3rd). And jump on Clowney to supply DE run support and maybe he can become a decent pass rusher if JJ is gone. Seeing I saw this article earlier and we are not listed.

Thoughts

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I think its fairly likely that JJ is gone ....

I don't know how I feel about bringing Clowney back .... he's a very good run defender and decent pass rusher , I guess cost is the biggest issue along with the length of any potential contract. I'd really hesitate to give him anything more than 1 year and middling money - definitely not a long term deal at top dollar.

If you could get him to sign a 1-2 year deal for the same figure he's getting in Tennessee ($13m) , I could go along with it.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
It would have to be a cheap, team friendly contract with lots of escape points. Clowney was lazy at the best of times and believed his own hype when he never, in my opinion, lived up to his 1:1 spot. Maybe the fact that pretty much no team wanted him till the last minute and on a cheap deal brought him back down to reality but even so he's a risk. Frankly he didn't make an impact in Seattle, unless you count a dirty hit on Wentz, and he's been a non-factor on the Titans before he went back under the knife. Frankly I don't think at this point he would be worth even 13m, maybe 10 or so if there is some extra cash laying around.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I would entertain offers for JJ and hold out for the deluxe peanuts, otherwise let him play out his contract and seek greener pastures in 2022. I would inquire about Clowney and wouldn't be against bringing him back with an incentive laden contract.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
So I dunno who's got the leverage here, Watt or the Texans organization, or the potential trading partner(s) ?
JJ can always say I will retire now if you don't trade me to a contender but who gets to define "contender" in this context ?
We know his most desirable destination is Green Bay, but if the Packers were to say sure we will do a deal for Watt, but for no more than a 7th round pick ?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
So I dunno who's got the leverage here, Watt or the Texans organization, or the potential trading partner(s) ?
JJ can always say I will retire now if you don't trade me to a contender but who gets to define "contender" in this context ?
We know his most desirable destination is Green Bay, but if the Packers were to say sure we will do a deal for Watt, but for no more than a 7th round pick ?
Even if he does say that he will retire wouldn't the Texans get a comp pick? I've never been sure how the comp picks are calculated but given what JJ has been and is to the franchise it would be a decently high one like a 3rd.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
I would only trade JJ for Clowney if I were channeling my inner O'Brien.

Give the Titans JJ and get Clowny in return?:gun:

I wont be surprised to see JJ play out the end of his career somewhere else, but not Tennessee.
No... not trade him for Clowney. As in trade him seeing he is all but gone. And replace JJ with Clowney at DE. Long term, no we would draft someone else. As for contract, nothing big. I think Clowney for the incentive would come back.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
No... not trade him for Clowney. As in trade him seeing he is all but gone. And replace JJ with Clowney at DE. Long term, no we would draft someone else. As for contract, nothing big. I think Clowney for the incentive would come back.
In that case I am indifferent if Clowney returns or not.

Just as I was indifferent for the most part when he left.

When he left, I knew his absence would be felt, but while he is good..... he is not irreplaceably so. He always reminded me of Jacoby.... for every play that made you say wow.... there were just as many that made you say WTH... if not more.

There is a reason he is being passed around the league more than an alternative cigarette in Colorado at 4:20 pre Covid...... if he comes cheap, for short term... okay... if they rest on him as the solution for anything resembling long ter....... :smiliepalm:

As for trading JJ, while it may be a move that makes sense and helps the team (and JJ), it certainly isnt a move that helps the city. So, while I wouldnt be mad trading him, its not something I really WANT to see either.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
That's the Clowney we spent the top pick in the draft for over a certain OLB/DE/Edge...K. Mack (who has shown the ability to PL all over the DL and LBs positions). But, we won't get a Mack with our cap room or in the 3rd (possible but unlikely). So, I will settle for a Clowney as a DE only. Who is good at disruptive play in the back field and against the run. Freeing up other players to do what they need to.

As for JJ, I love the guy. He plays hard, trains harder than anyone and makes an impact on and off the field (a positive impact). The fans love him also. But, he is not happy here. He wants to PL for a team with a legit SB chance (Pitt is my 1st choice due to his brothers, GB maybe KC). I will hate to see him go. However, on the same front, I don't want to not "reward" him for sticking it out here in good, bad and injured times. And let him leave for a place to where I hope he can play and win (he is 31) for 4-7 years more...and maybe he can get a title. If not, the change is something that he wants.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
That's the Clowney we spent the top pick in the draft for over a certain OLB/DE/Edge...K. Mack (who has shown the ability to PL all over the DL and LBs positions). But, we won't get a Mack with our cap room or in the 3rd (possible but unlikely). So, I will settle for a Clowney as a DE only. Who is good at disruptive play in the back field and against the run. Freeing up other players to do what they need to.

As for JJ, I love the guy. He plays hard, trains harder than anyone and makes an impact on and off the field (a positive impact). The fans love him also. But, he is not happy here. He wants to PL for a team with a legit SB chance (Pitt is my 1st choice due to his brothers, GB maybe KC). I will hate to see him go. However, on the same front, I don't want to not "reward" him for sticking it out here in good, bad and injured times. And let him leave for a place to where I hope he can play and win (he is 31) for 4-7 years more...and maybe he can get a title. If not, the change is something that he wants.
With all due respect, as a "licensed trainer," I would have expected that you would have more of an understanding of the strong future implications marked by Clowney's recent major knee surgery in light of his previous surgery.