Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

CJ Stroud Success Level (Mark it down)

Where do you think CJ Strouds success level will be in THREE years.

• Elite

• Great

• Good

• Average

• Below Average

• Hot Garbage

• Gone

Results are only viewable after voting.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Btw, if anyone doubts my sincerity, talk to Texanballer. I didn't want Watson to start game one his rookie year (I'm consistent in that), he said over and over he was ready. I disagreed over and over. After Watson's first big game I immediately wrote baller he was right and I was wrong (several times so I properly credited him), and I was happy to be wrong. I'll be happy to be wrong again.
I didn't want Derrick to start as a rookie due to the lack of talent around him and the probability that he would get hurt behind that ol.

This is a different situation, there's plenty of talent around Stroud to grow. Let him sink or swim.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I've made that point in repeated posts throughout last season...............that Q's poor play with a direct up-the-middle total breakdown, created the classic QB's Achilles heel................every QB's Achilles heel, even evident with the GOAT Brady.
Wait a minute. Since the BOB era, centers backpedaling in the pocket like DBs covering WRs has always been an issue or feature of the offense. Many posters complained about it, but others were too hyper focus on the QB to realize it was one of the reasons for him leaving the pocket.

Does anyone remember Nick Martin? Since he left the Texans, he's been a backup on three different teams, but he was good enough to start here and received a ridiculous extension from BOB. Sorry, Mills has not been the only Texans QB facing these up-the-middle breakdowns or having to perform with these up-the-middle breakdowns..

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Since we can't talk about his mom

Let's talk about his dad

How much success do you think a kid that grew up watching dad sling rocks and the family being ok with that is going to perform on a big stage.

It's environment, and look at the people he's chosen to represent him as a guide to who he is and what he is about

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
We saw Mills show good abilities at times, without decent support. An "honest" competition would not be based on past performance. Rather, how the 2 QBs perform head-to-head in the present. And may the best man win.
Not saying Stroud should just be given the keys, but if they're not giving him the majority of the reps with the 1's, then I don't see the point of drafting him. I'm not drafting a QB at #2 overall and giving a 3rd rounder who has statistically been one of the worst QBs in football for 2 years, equal opportunity.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Wait a minute. Since the BOB era, centers backpedaling in the pocket like DBs covering WRs has always been an issue or feature of the offense. Many posters complained about it, but others were too hyper focus on the QB to realize it was one of the reasons for him leaving the pocket.

Does anyone remember Nick Martin? Since he left the Texans, he's been a backup on three different teams, but he was good enough to start here and received a ridiculous extension from BOB. Sorry, Mills has not been the only Texans QB facing these up-the-middle breakdowns or having to perform with these up-the-middle breakdowns..
Martin had nothing but high ankle sprain/fracture problems. He couldn't hold a base against the DL because of his injuries. So he indeed backpedalled in order to compensate. Uninjured Quessenbery didn't typically backpedal............he was manhandled and PUSHED back into the QB.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Martin had nothing but high ankle sprain/fracture problems. He couldn't hold a base against the DL because of his injuries. So he indeed backpedalled in order to compensate. Uninjured Quessenbery didn't typically backpedal............he was manhandled and PUSHED back into the QB.
I think it's the same thing. One is getting pushed/manhandled into the QB and the other is back pedaling into the QB. Both are ineffective, disrupting the pocket and allowing pressure up the middle. It's not new for Texans QBs.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think it's the same thing. One is getting pushed/manhandled into the QB and the other is back pedaling into the QB. Both are ineffective, disrupting the pocket and allowing pressure up the middle. It's not new for Texans QBs.
Good thing Stroud shouldn't have to worry about this next year.

No excuses

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
What would a bad year from Texans QB C.J. Stroud look like?
May 22, 2023 10:55 am CT

The Houston Texans drafted C.J. Stroud No. 2 overall in the 2023 NFL draft to upgrade their quarterback situation. Long term, the decision should work out.

For the 2023 campaign, Stroud will have to prove himself better than 12-year veteran Case Keenum and incumbent starter Davis Mills. The former Ohio State product should be able to win the job on talent alone, but Stroud isn’t exactly taking on the Big Ten. Stroud will basically take on Georgia every week.

There is an expectation that Stroud will do well for Houston, but what exactly does a bad rookie year look like for the 21-year-old?

According to Chris Trapasso from CBS Sports, a worst-case scenario for Stroud would be if he had a 57% completion, 6.3 yards per attempt, 2,993 passing yards, 15 touchdowns, 17 interceptions, and 48 sacks on the season with a 71.5 passer rating.

Stroud’s worse-case scenario numbers aren’t too different than what they got out of Mills last season through 15 games. The former 2021 third-rounder from Stanford had a 61.0% completion, 6.5 yards per attempt, 3,118 passing yards, 17 touchdowns, 15 interceptions, and 33 sacks with a 78.8 passer rating.

The context of Stroud’s final stat line would have to be taken into consideration. If Stroud compiled such a worse-case scenario from being hesitant about taking shots downfield, refusing to scramble, or being late with getting rid of the ball, then a perception would develop that the Texans’ young quarterback just needed more work.

If Stroud’s interceptions were the result of one or two games wherein he threw three or four, and his passing touchdowns were impacted by the offense’s rushing touchdowns, there would be more confidence that the former Buckeye was doing his part as he learned the entire offense.

The most troubling aspect in either view of Stroud’s worse-case scenario is the sacks. Houston can’t afford to have their future under center taking that type of punishment.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What would a bad year from Texans QB C.J. Stroud look like?
May 22, 2023 10:55 am CT

The Houston Texans drafted C.J. Stroud No. 2 overall in the 2023 NFL draft to upgrade their quarterback situation. Long term, the decision should work out.

For the 2023 campaign, Stroud will have to prove himself better than 12-year veteran Case Keenum and incumbent starter Davis Mills. The former Ohio State product should be able to win the job on talent alone, but Stroud isn’t exactly taking on the Big Ten. Stroud will basically take on Georgia every week.

There is an expectation that Stroud will do well for Houston, but what exactly does a bad rookie year look like for the 21-year-old?

According to Chris Trapasso from CBS Sports, a worst-case scenario for Stroud would be if he had a 57% completion, 6.3 yards per attempt, 2,993 passing yards, 15 touchdowns, 17 interceptions, and 48 sacks on the season with a 71.5 passer rating.

Stroud’s worse-case scenario numbers aren’t too different than what they got out of Mills last season through 15 games. The former 2021 third-rounder from Stanford had a 61.0% completion, 6.5 yards per attempt, 3,118 passing yards, 17 touchdowns, 15 interceptions, and 33 sacks with a 78.8 passer rating.

The context of Stroud’s final stat line would have to be taken into consideration. If Stroud compiled such a worse-case scenario from being hesitant about taking shots downfield, refusing to scramble, or being late with getting rid of the ball, then a perception would develop that the Texans’ young quarterback just needed more work.

If Stroud’s interceptions were the result of one or two games wherein he threw three or four, and his passing touchdowns were impacted by the offense’s rushing touchdowns, there would be more confidence that the former Buckeye was doing his part as he learned the entire offense.

The most troubling aspect in either view of Stroud’s worse-case scenario is the sacks. Houston can’t afford to have their future under center taking that type of punishment.
There will be punishment for picking Stroud. Best case is that punishment won't happen until after yr 3.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Stroud's best case scenario from the CBS Sports article that was referenced.

Best-case scenario: 64% completion, 7.0 yards per attempt, 3,325 passing yards, 21 TD passes, 12 INTs, 33 sacks, 88.7 rating

Given that Stroud landed with a defensive-minded head coach and has an offensive coordinator from the Kyle Shanahan coaching tree, there's a good chance Houston will want to emphasize the run game -- relatively speaking -- for their first-year quarterback. So Stroud's figures were based on a somewhat modest 475 attempts across 17 games.
If the high mark for rookie QB completion % over the past 5 seasons is 66.6%, then best case scenario for the most accurate QB to come in the league over the past 5 seasons should be 66.7%.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Stroud's best case scenario from the CBS Sports article that was referenced.

If the high mark for rookie QB completion % over the past 5 seasons is 66.6%, then best case scenario for the most accurate QB to come in the league over the past 5 seasons should be 66.7%.
For the record, last season with Mills and Allen the Texans had 3,344 yards, 20 TDs and were 25th in the league.

So the best case scenario for Stroud is that he won't be any better than the steaming pile of QB's last season?

Understanding that the OP is saying they will lean heavy on the run, but they would also need around 2,400 yards to get into the Top 20 in total yards based on last season's stats. Easily in the top 10 across the league. That seems like a tall order until you realize that SF had that last season. And yet, SF also had a defense that was #1 in yards allowed, points allowed and #2 in turnovers.

Seems like a lot to ask of a running game and defense that haven't proved anything yet.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
For the record, last season with Mills and Allen the Texans had 3,344 yards, 20 TDs and were 25th in the league.

So the best case scenario for Stroud is that he won't be any better than the steaming pile of QB's last season?

Understanding that the OP is saying they will lean heavy on the run, but they would also need around 2,400 yards to get into the Top 20 in total yards based on last season's stats. Easily in the top 10 across the league. That seems like a tall order until you realize that SF had that last season. And yet, SF also had a defense that was #1 in yards allowed, points allowed and #2 in turnovers.

Seems like a lot to ask of a running game and defense that haven't proved anything yet.
Seems like excuses are already being lined up by the media.

Stroud should give better qb play than they had last season. If not then just look at this as a positive.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Not saying Stroud should just be given the keys, but if they're not giving him the majority of the reps with the 1's, then I don't see the point of drafting him. I'm not drafting a QB at #2 overall and giving a 3rd rounder who has statistically been one of the worst QBs in football for 2 years, equal opportunity.
I like equal opportunity for all three.

It's a new day in Texansville. No guarantee or favoritism because of draft position / salary, for any player.

DO YOUR JOB, EARN IT...:fans:

:coffee:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I like equal opportunity for all three.

It's a new day in Texansville. No guarantee or favoritism because of draft position / salary, for any player.

DO YOUR JOB, EARN IT...:fans:

Texans need to decide if they want to develop a QB, or develop a team. Then put the guy best suited for that on the field.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Just can't quit on Mills, huh? My advice is to re-watch the Commanders game.
You're correct, I haven't quit on Mills.
And I am going to keep a close eye on Duggan too. ;)
They are the only ones who can make me quit on them.

Your advice is similar to mine in that it is worth exactly what people pay for it. :D

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
That’s fine. But if Stroud ain’t winning a competition between himself, Case Keenum and Davis freaking Mills, then they blew the pick.
Case Keenum & Davis Mills have more experience reading NFL defenses & their post snap rotations. They both have more experience playing under center & turning their backs on NFL defenses running play action.

I have no doubt Stroud will start week 1, but I'm not delusional enough to think he'll be the best QB on the team week 1.

He's the future. Case/Davis are not.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Case Keenum & Davis Mills have more experience reading NFL defenses & their post snap rotations. They both have more experience playing under center & turning their backs on NFL defenses running play action.

I have no doubt Stroud will start week 1, but I'm not delusional enough to think he'll be the best QB on the team week 1.

He's the future. Case/Davis are not.
Not saying he'd be the best QB on the team day 1, though that bar isn't very high, and he's still the most talented. I get the nuances of having to learn the game and all and that Case and Mills would have the edge there. Just saying they're wasting time if their gonna **** around with Mills or Case getting time with the 1's or even starting either of the them at any point in the beginning.

Yes, Stroud is the future so get him ramped up and let's get it going. That's all I'm saying. Rookie growing pains are gonna happen so get through that in a season where they still aren't going anywhere. They'll be better off for it in '24. This "fair" competition BS is just that.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Not saying he'd be the best QB on the team day 1, though that bar isn't very high, and he's still the most talented. I get the nuances of having to learn the game and all and that Case and Mills would have the edge there. Just saying they're wasting time if their gonna **** around with Mills or Case getting time with the 1's or even starting either of the them at any point in the beginning.

Yes, Stroud is the future so get him ramped up and let's get it going. That's all I'm saying. Rookie growing pains are gonna happen so get through that in a season where they still aren't going anywhere. They'll be better off for it in '24. This "fair" competition BS is just that.
They're saying exactly what they are supposed to say in May

Texansballer74

The Marine
Over in Panthers land.

Panthers QB Bryce Young gets the majority of the first-team reps at his first OTA practice. Veteran Andy Dalton got the first reps with the first-team offense in Monday's OTA practice. Rookie Bryce Young ended up getting more of them.

I don’t know why the Texans brass makes things so complicated and difficult.

Stroud should’ve been getting the same treatment.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Or every game before the 4th quarter. In the 4th quarter he looked like a HOF qb because by then the defense was already ready to go home.
I thought Mills sucked in the 4th qtr last yr and that's why they drafted Stroud? I cant keep the narratives straight around here.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
This forum cracks me up. Last year, the Texans failed to bring in any QBs to "compete" with Mills and many said that it's fine because Mills needed as many reps as possible. From many media reports, Allen looked better than Mills in practices and still Mills didn't compete for the starting job.

This year, some of the same fans now want a QB competition. I know the Texans deserved all the ridicule they get. However, sometimes I get the feeling that the Texans are damned if they do or don't.

Texansballer74

The Marine
You have this entire offseason program and three preseason games to have your future franchise quarterback ready to start week one. Where is this rushing chatter coming from? Some of y’all act like y’all never seen a rookie quarterback start day one in the NFL. Yes there are some failures. But there’s some successful ones as well. Stop being scared all the time people

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
This forum cracks me up. Last year, the Texans failed to bring in any QBs to "compete" with Mills and many said that it's fine because Mills needed as many reps as possible. From many media reports, Allen looked better than Mills in practices and still Mills didn't compete for the starting job.

This year, some of the same fans now want a QB competition. I know the Texans deserved all the ridicule they get. However, sometimes I get the feeling that the Texans are damned if they do or don't.
As far as this board goes, they are!

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
You have this entire offseason program and three preseason games to have your future franchise quarterback ready to start week one. Where is this rushing chatter coming from? Some of y’all act like y’all never seen a rookie quarterback start day one in the NFL. Yes there are some failures. But there’s some successful ones as well. Stop being scared all the time people
:lightbulb:..All this time to have your future franchise QB ready?

Are we sure that we even know who our future franchise QB is. Are we handing it to Stroud, no questions asked or answered.
I am of the opinion that Mills never stood a chance under the two previous clown coaching staffs.:joker:
I would like an open competition. What is the downside to that?
I think this new regime will give him ample opportunity to succeed or fail. Time will tell.
I am also aware that many here think my opinion stinks. :cheese:
That's ok, there are lots of others opinions posted here that I think stink. :D

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I am of the opinion that Mills never stood a chance under the two previous clown coaching staffs.
Mills had 26 starts under the previous staffs. How many 3rd round picks get that opportunity? Mills had a shot and didn't take advantage of it.
I am also aware that many here think my opinion stinks.
Stinks? I don't know. Your desire for a very mediocre QB getting another shot seems strange, though.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Mills had 26 starts under the previous staffs. How many 3rd round picks get that opportunity? Mills had a shot and didn't take advantage of it.

Stinks? I don't know. Your desire for a very mediocre QB getting another shot seems strange, though.
I think there is a disconnect here. I don't think he is mediocre, that is your opinion.
Not much of a shot, in my opinion, with clown coaches re-loading your ammo.
I think maybe DeMeco agrees with me. Going to be interesting going forward.
Standby and enjoy the show.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I think there is a disconnect here. I don't think he is mediocre, that is your opinion.
Not much of a shot, in my opinion, with clown coaches re-loading your ammo.
I think maybe DeMeco agrees with me. Going to be interesting going forward.
Standby and enjoy the show.

You’re right he’s not mediocre, he’s worst. Dude is terrible. He got benched for a reason. Stop blaming everyone else except him.