Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

CJ Stroud Success Level (Mark it down)

Where do you think CJ Strouds success level will be in THREE years.

• Elite

• Great

• Good

• Average

• Below Average

• Hot Garbage

• Gone

Results are only viewable after voting.
What's the issue here?
None. All athletes use disrespect as motivation. Hell, we even have a 53-page Davis Mills getting no respect thread.

None. All athletes use disrespect as motivation. Hell, we even have a 53-page Davis Mills getting no respect thread.

Man, you identify me as the one to take over for a business leader that is retiring, put time and effort into developing me and preparing me for the role, then tell me at the last minute that you are going to post the job externally to make sure you have the best candidate? How would I not take that personally? How would that decision to go external not be based on a dissatisfaction of me?

I would question his leadership and desire to win if he didn't feel disrespected in that moment.

He went out and competed, and beat the other guy out for the position.

Where is the red flag?

Right, he turned a disrespect to a motivation and literally 'handled' the competition. To the point that that particular competition immediately high-tailed it back to Texas because he watched someone at his position he knew he'd never unseat to find playing time early.

So in total Stroud patiently sat behind Justin Fields for a year, was going into the following training camp as the known QB1, when all of a sudden 2 weeks before that camp OSU brings in the number 1 recruit in the nation to challenge for his spot. And all he does is quietly go about busting his ass to take the spot for his own and never look back.

That sounds like exactly the kind of competitor I'd want in any player on my team, and most of all my QB.

That sounds like exactly the kind of competitor I'd want in any player on my team, and most of all my QB.

I think DeMeco has already inserted it into his head that he has to earn it. And I think Mills and Keenum will be motivated enough to make it as difficult as possible. Especially Mills. He didn’t play all that bad when he had some time to throw. He knows that he has no future here, but you can bet he will be auditioning to go somewhere else. Think he’s going to surprise some people.

How’s it different than any other thread?

Probably isn’t, but the ‘usual suspects’ get on my nerves. I took a long hiatus from this place the last couple of seasons, because it degenerated just like the team did. But now I’m back, because I’m excited about the what’s ahead. I just need to stop getting triggered by idiots. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
C.J. Stroud, 6'3", 215, 11 - 2, Drafted 1.2 2022,
SeasonGames
GPGSRecordCmpAttPctYdsAvgTDIntRtgAttYdsAvgTD
20221311-225838966.33,6889.5416176.235742.10
Zach Wilson, 6'2", 214, 11 - 1, Drafted 1.2 2021, broke Steve Young's record.

GPRecordCmpAttPctYdsTDIntRtgAttYdsAvgTD
20201211-124733673.53,692333196.4722864.010
(561) Zach Wilson FULL Pro Day Highlights: Every Throw - YouTube

(561) Why Zach Wilson Struggles - YouTube
Ok I’ll bite, besides being selected at the same spot, what makes you think they would have similar pro careers?

Comparing Stroud to Young it seems like Young is the better player, when things do not go according to plan and Stroud is the better player, when things are going according to plan. On normal plays Youngs "strange" drop back (basically a normal walk to be able to stand taller and see better) can lead to bad timing and this can lead to subpar ball placement. He also doesn't have a rocket for an arm.

Stroud struggles, when his pocket collapses. He is good at maneuvering in the pocket, but his accuracy and decision making drop significantly if he needs to avoid the rush and his first read isn't open. He also doesn't take off and run even if there is a whole lot of green in front of him.

Now both players have shown, that they are able to do these things well at times. But those seem to be the question marks (not counting injury concerns for Young).

You can make a case for either of these things to be more important. Personally I would hope that the majority of plays go according to plan, so I would prefer Stroud. Plus I just hope that Georgia game wasn't a fluke - here he played pretty good when his pocket collapsed. Still missed some open players, but overall he made a whole lot happen.

Ok I’ll bite, besides being selected at the same spot, what makes you think they would have similar pro careers?
They both have the exact same criticisms, hold the ball too long, and panic under pressure. For Wilson that translated into the NFL game being too fast for him. In size, stats, performance, arm strength, positives, and negatives Stroud and Wilson are virtually the same. They are two peas in a pod. A low S2 may be an indicator and reason for why.

Last edited:
They both have the exact same criticisms, hold the ball too long, and panic under pressure. For Wilson that translated into the NFL game being too fast for him. In size, stats, performance, arm strength, positives, and negatives Stroud and Wilson are virtually the same. They are two peas in a pod.

Yes, because failing against Michigan and Georgia is exactly the same as failing against Coastal Carolina.

Same could be said for the short, small frame guy who went 1.1. S2 seems to be another technique that may or may not be used as is the draft point evaluation. We've heard what Nick said about that.

Agreed on the smaller QB's.

I would have been happy with Bryce.

S2 should be very low on the totem pole at this point in time.

Sounds like Carolina got really spooked by it while the Texans did not.

Yes, because failing against Michigan and Georgia is exactly the same as failing against Coastal Carolina.
Holding the ball too long is holding the ball too long regardless of the competition. Panic under pressure is panic under pressure regardless of the competition. It's a mindset, not a competition thing. A low S2 may be an indicator and reason for why. But Caserio doesn't believe in them so all is good.

Last edited:
Holding the ball too long is holding the ball too long regardless of the competition. Panic under pressure is panic under pressure regardless of the competition. It's a mindset, not a competition thing.
You do not put up the type of numbers he put up holding onto the freaking ball. Lol stop the freaking nonsense dude.

18% on the S2 Dude. Young scored a 98%, Dude.
Again CJ didn’t hold the ball long period. And he went through his progressions and he knew exactly where to go with the ball.
Stop bringing up a got darn test you knew nothing about until a few weeks ago. And tell me what you see on the freaking field of play.
8123 yards, 85 touchdowns with only 12 interceptions. Yeah this S2 is accurate AF huh.

Holding the ball too long is holding the ball too long regardless of the competition. Panic under pressure is panic under pressure regardless of the competition. It's a mindset, not a competition thing. A low S2 may be an indicator and reason for why. But Caserio doesn't believe in them so all is good.
Do you have numbers for that? I haven’t heard that criticism of him before, it’s most of the time that he is bad when under pressure, doesn’t take running opportunities and gets fooled by disguised defenses. His timing (as in throwing the ball at exactly the right time) is usually a big positive for him (and a negative for Young, whose timing was said to be off several times because of his upright drop back technique).

Holding on to the ball too long would show up in several stats:

1. QB scrambles - 35 total rushes in senior year, including planned runs
2. Sacks - averaged less than one per game
3. Lower completion % - 69% for career
4. Interceptions - 12 in 25 games

But but but... look at how he played in the second half of one game against the two-time national champions! 🙄

Do you have numbers for that? I haven’t heard that criticism of him before, it’s most of the time that he is bad when under pressure, doesn’t take running opportunities and gets fooled by disguised defenses. His timing (as in throwing the ball at exactly the right time) is usually a big positive for him (and a negative for Young, whose timing was said to be off several times because of his upright drop back technique).
When the OSU offense was percolating and in rhythm Stroud was at his very best. When the rhythm was disrupted, things went downhill fast. That's when he held the ball too long, stared down his receiver, and made bad decisions. This is no secret, this is all over the Internet and is evident in his game videos. QBs coming from Ryan Day's offense have not fared well in the NFL. Many will counter with Justin Fields, but Fields has made his success by running the ball not throwing it. Fields ran a 4.46 40, not a 4.80. The Kool-Aid Brigade wants to dismiss Zach Wilson's comparison and ignore Young's 98% on the S2 vs Stroud's 18%, yet they can't explain it. Slowik may be able to protect Stroud from his weaknesses, much like Day, and allow him to be better.

He went out and competed, and beat the other guy out for the position.

Where is the red flag?
The red flag is his airing his disrepect in public. But also the nature of his disrespect, not his on field response. If he feels disrespected over such a minor incident, what will trigger future disrespect and how will he respond? One thread of discussion on TT is his future contract negotiations. Will he feel disrespected? And how will his disrespect affect the team? Perhaps he can mature and outgrow such pettiness. We'll see.

The red flag is his airing his disrepect in public. But also the nature of his disrespect, not his on field response. If he feels disrespected over such a minor incident, what will trigger future disrespect and how will he respond? One thread of discussion on TT is his future contract negotiations. Will he feel disrespected? And how will his disrespect affect the team? Perhaps he can mature and outgrow such pettiness. We'll see.

Talk about extrapolating a mountain out of a molehill.

He made his feelings known publicly TWO YEARS after it happened. Not in the moment as an entitled Primadona. As part of a larger conversation saying he has always bet on himself and put in the work to succeed. No one at the time it occurred knew he felt this way because he didn't blast it all over social media. He quietly put in the work to succeed. He didn't transfer. He made the other guy transfer.

Jesus Christ, some of y'all are just working too hard to find these pearl-clutching angles. He wasn't my first choice as a QB but why are some of you trying so hard to destroy his reputation and impugn his character?

Last edited:
Talk about extrapolating a mountain out of a molehill.

He made his feelings known publicly TWO YEARS after it happened. Not in the moment as an entitled Primadona. As part of a larger conversation saying he has always bet on himself and put in the work to succeed. No one at the time it occurred knew he felt this way because he didn't blast it all over social media. He quietly put in the work to succeed. He didn't transfer. He made the other guy transfer.

Jesus Christ, some of y'all are just working too hard to find these pearl-clutching angles. He wasn't my first choice as a QB but why are some of you trying so hard to destroy his reputation and impugn his character?
I’m very surprised by his response/comment. Usually Numbers is pretty fair with his assessments.

I think the thing about his running is that he made the decision to NOT do it and to do everything he could to win from the pocket. He's athletic enough to run, but that's just not part of his mindset.
True, he really wasn't under pressure enough where was forced to scramble.

His GPA is a reflection of knowing the material that he will be tested on before the test is given.…just like his football acumen. He obviously had learned that material well and passed both tests at OSU.
Day made most of the calls at the LOS.

This is something Stroud will have to learn and it's also a big reason ALL OSU QB's have failed at the NFL level.

You mean Texian/steelb would lie? :yikes:

I'm not lying, regardless of the numbers, I was using somebody elses numbers. Stroud wasn't good in the 4th qtr of the best game of his life when the lights were the brightest. You may not like this, but he was a big reason they lost that game even though he played well overall.

I expect this to continue in his Texans career and everybody but Stroud will get the blame. Kinda this generations Moon.

I think the thing about his running is that he made the decision to NOT do it and to do everything he could to win from the pocket. He's athletic enough to run, but that's just not part of his mindset.
Ryan Day said that because OSU was thin at QB depth they discouraged Stroud from running. They didn't want him running at all.

Sure. On two runs in the fourth quarter while OSU was blowing a 14 point lead on both sides of the ball. When he was also 3/7 for 20 yards and a sack. I give him credit for doing whatever he could to find a way to keep his team in the game. But he wasn't cooking in that second half like he was in the first half.

I went backed and looked at the rest of his game logs for the longest run he had in each game. Outside of the Northwestern game that I already mentioned - and it was a bad weather game heavily slanted towards the run where he went 10/26 for 79 yards - he had two runs the entire year that were longer than 6 yards. One was 8 yards and the other was 11 yards.

So is the fourth quarter of the Georgia game the rule or the exception?

Again, I am not saying he doesn't have the athletic ability to be an effective runner. I am saying that he was not consistently an effective runner across two years as a starter, whether that was choice, scheme or ability. In an entire season his best two runs were in the fourth quarter of the last game he ever played. That yielded three points in a come-from-ahead loss.

To see that he has crafted his trade in being a prototypical pocket passer, then point to a (very) few good runs he made in college, and extrapolate that out to a position that he is going to do that regularly in the NFL and DC's are going to have to gameplan on his running ability? That's a lot of Kool-Aid. IMO.

I wanted to quote this

And No DC's aren't going to have to gameplan for his running ability.

Back