Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Chris Johnson doesn't report on time, loses season.

The Tennessee Titans are ready to make Chris Johnson the highest-paid running back in the NFL. The general manager says they just need him to show up in training camp to finalize that extension.

link

Highest paid may or may not mean this year, and it also may or may not mean highest guaranteed amount, so this may or may not be meaningful.

But the GM said they weren't actually going to make the offer until he came to camp.

Catch-22.

Hopefully, this goes on all season.

Just getting ready to post that same thing. The Titans want a "show of good faith" by seeing him simply on the campgrounds and I'm with them on this one.

chris johnson.....OK, this reminds me, I need to schedule my 6th month dental check up today. Gotta get that gold cleaned.

Chris Johnson wants top money - Period.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6...gh-chris-johnson-tennessee-titans-sources-say

The Tennessee Titans' contract stalemate with holdout running back Chris Johnson shows no signs of ending anytime soon.

While the Titans publicly stated they are willing to make Johnson the highest-paid running back in the NFL, those close to Johnson believe he should be paid as one of the top playmakers in the league -- not just for running backs, sources familiar with the situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Chris Johnson wants top money - Period.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6...gh-chris-johnson-tennessee-titans-sources-say

The Tennessee Titans' contract stalemate with holdout running back Chris Johnson shows no signs of ending anytime soon.

While the Titans publicly stated they are willing to make Johnson the highest-paid running back in the NFL, those close to Johnson believe he should be paid as one of the top playmakers in the league -- not just for running backs, sources familiar with the situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

He's making me puke. I have no doubt even Bud is willing to pony up $25M or 30M for him, but he's not worth Manning/Brees money. No RB is. If this is how its gonna be, then fine pal. Sit and watch your potentially incredible career rot. Last I checked, lots of SB winners out there had pedestrian RBs.

He's making me puke. I have no doubt even Bud is willing to pony up $25M or 30M for him, but he's not worth Manning/Brees money. No RB is. If this is how its gonna be, then fine pal. Sit and watch your potentially incredible career rot. Last I checked, lots of SB winners out there had pedestrian RBs.

why? as long as he holds out that's a weapon Tennessee won't have.
they can go at this all year as far as I'm concerned.

This sounds like a dude who clearly no longer wants to play for a team on the decline, and wants to be traded. You'd think he'd just say "Trade me" instead of making unreasonable demands.

Yes, he deserves to be the highest paid RB.

Hell NO he doesn't deserve to be one of the highest paid players in the NFL.

This guy is clearly angling to play in New Orleans or Indianapolis or New England.

This sounds like a dude who clearly no longer wants to play for a team on the decline, and wants to be traded. You'd think he'd just say "Trade me" instead of making unreasonable demands.

Yes, he deserves to be the highest paid RB.

Hell NO he doesn't deserve to be one of the highest paid players in the NFL.

This guy is clearly angling to play in New Orleans or Indianapolis or New England.

And guess what? Those teams arent stupid enough to pay him that idiotic kind of money. Name me one RB in any of those 3 cities that made a fortune outside Bush's rookie bonus. The Colts cut Edgerrin James rather than re-up him, and keep drafting heirs to RBs (Addai, Mike Hart) to keep that position cheap.

He can always try the Raiders, they love speed and overpaying.

, those close to Johnson believe he should be paid as one of the top playmakers in the league

I agree completely! Matter-of-fact, he should stick to his guns and hold out indefinitely until he gets his way! :evil:

I agree completely! Matter-of-fact, he should stick to his guns and hold out indefinitely until he gets his way! :evil:

I agree! I hope he holds out as long as possible that it effects his play and that of the titans this season. I hope he either gets traded (unlikely) out of our division.... or the Titans sign him to a crazy deal that ends up getting them in cap hell in a couple years!!:evil:

Its good to see a player have the ability and leverage to force a club to honor their agreement. The only reason they want him to come in is so they can talk him into taking less money than he told his agent to get.

Chris Johnson’s contract situation is not getting better

For those of you who would like to see Chris Johnson run the football on an NFL field this year, I'm afraid things aren't looking good.
Larry Fitzgerald's new deal likely squashed any notion Johnson had of taking a more modest contract. The Titans general manager says there's no point in even making Johnson an offer. And the owner of the franchise says that life's too short to deal with Johnson "with the way he's acting."
But other than that, I think things are going really well.
It's officially time to start pushing Johnson down your fantasy draft boards. The Titans season starts in 20 days, and they're moving further and further apart. Anyone have any reason to believe that things between Johnson and the team will become less frosty in the next couple of weeks?
Here's more from Titans owner Bud Adams (via TitanInsider):
"I'm not gonna make any offer with the way he's acting. Life's too short," Adams said.

:worthless: Oh Wait!!! wrong emoticon.

:spit: That is the one I needed.

"I'm not gonna make any offer with the way he's acting. Life's too short," Adams said.

They forgot the rest of the quote: "....and money is too sweet. Oh lordy, sweet, sweet money!"

boss_hogg.jpg

At this point he should report to the team and just let the season play out. Why risk another Pro Bowl season?

Damn, Chris Johnson is about all that team has going for them on offense. With the Titans and Jags in the shape they are in, we could take 2nd place with another 7-9 record. :lol:

JasonColeYahoo
CJ wants $12m/yr, $30m guar. Tenn thinks $8m/yr, $20m @greyraven41: @JasonColeYahoo need to know what CJ and Titans numbers are. Do u know?

To be fair, Chris Johnson is one of the lowest paid running backs in the league, definitely near the bottom in terms of starting RBs. They are EXTREMELY lowballing him if htey want him to continue on his current contract.

And with the shelf life of RBs, I can't say I blame Johnson. He needs to get his money while the getting is good. Remember Dominick Davis? He was earning more money than CJ is earning now. And his career was tragically cut short by injury.

To be fair, Chris Johnson is one of the lowest paid running backs in the league, definitely near the bottom in terms of starting RBs. They are EXTREMELY lowballing him if htey want him to continue on his current contract.

And with the shelf life of RBs, I can't say I blame Johnson. He needs to get his money while the getting is good. Remember Dominick Davis? He was earning more money than CJ is earning now. And his career was tragically cut short by injury.

So.... what was the point of last years' hold out?

I agree he needs to hold out as long as necessary. I'm thinking late December would be a good time for both sides to reach an agreement.

Poor Bud spent all of his money supporting his failed VY thing. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't go back into his classic Oilers mode.......Dollars in MY pocket is so much better than pennies in your pocket...........

Lol, tweet by Chris Johnson:

CJ said:
Can these fake Titan fans STFU on my timeline I don't have a regular job so don't compare me to you and I can care less if uthink I'm greedy

I think he isn't worried about his accrued season, because he knows he is signing with the team and is just skipping camp. It's like when Mike Rozier held out. A few extra weeks of not running or getting hit, smoking 5 packs a day (substitute your substance of choice for CJ) were worth it to him. He's getting paid and everyone knows it.

I'm really not sure how much Mike Rozier has to do with anything, but I had to get that out of my system. Flushing the pipes or something.

I think he isn't worried about his accrued season, because he knows he is signing with the team and is just skipping camp. It's like when Mike Rozier held out. A few extra weeks of not running or getting hit, smoking 5 packs a day (substitute your substance of choice for CJ) were worth it to him. He's getting paid and everyone knows it.

I'm really not sure how much Mike Rozier has to do with anything, but I had to get that out of my system. Flushing the pipes or something.

I had ankle surgery right next to Rozier while he was getting his done. We were drugged up at the same time and all I remember was laughing at him. I guess he was funny.

Ok, back on topic

CJ's a moron, but he's their franchise and will get paid

If you was a real fan my tweet would not bother you it only make the fake fans upset

NickTheTitan Nicholas Brown
@
@ChrisJohnson28 real fans care about the whole team, not just one player. Real players care about the whole team too instead of themselves.

ALLDAYPUENTE Andrew Puente
@
@ChrisJohnson28 if you knew how to spend your money you should be living fine with the money they offer you #dumbass

ChrisJohnson28 Chris Johnson
My titan fans taking it all wrong I'm talking to the ones writing me racist Comments. I'm not call the Titan fans fake at all. #LUV

http://twitter.com/#!/chrisjohnson28

I forget who said it (think it was Peter King) but felt this holdout was a lot like the ones Walter Jones pulled, and like Rozier, it was to avoid camp.

First, wow, Vinny is back.

Second, wow, a Mike Rozier reference.

Welcome back.

Chris Johnson agrees to terms on $53.5 million contract
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 1, 2011, 1:03 PM EDT
Chris Johnson AP
Chris Johnson’s holdout ended in the most predictable way possible. He’s back in the fold 10 days before the regular season starts. Right on schedule.

Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean first reported and PFT’s Mike Florio can confirm that Johnson agreed to a four-year,$53.5 million contract extension. $30 million is guaranteed. Some of the guaranteed money is for injury, and some for skill. $53.5 million is the new money. Part of the guarantee tranfers to injury on the first day of a given league year.

In the end, Johnson essentially got the guaranteed money and per-year dollars he was looking for. The Titans didn’t have to pay him Larry Fitzgerald money or completely break the running back mold.

This should give Johnson enough time to be ready for Week One. It should also give Adrian Peterson a starting point for negotiations of his next contract.

30 Mill guaranteed over 6 years total - sounds like 5 mill a year

or 30 mill over the 4 years of the extention - is 7.5 mill a year

far cry from the 12 mill he wanted

30 Mill guaranteed over 6 years total - sounds like 5 mill a year

or 30 mill over the 4 years of the extention - is 7.5 mill a year

far cry from the 12 mill he wanted

Chris Johnson will earn $31 million over the next three years under his new contract.
For comparison's sake, DeAngelo Williams will make $30 million in the first years of his deal. Originally due to collect less than a $1 million this year, Johnson will take home $13 million, followed by $8 million in 2012 and $10 million in 2013. All but $1 million is guaranteed. Don't look for him to be uniform Thursday night. CJ2K is not playing in New Orleans for the preseason finale

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4743/chris-johnson

I don't care how they break it down with what paid out in what year.

I am just looking at it as 30 mill guaranteed - and it was 4 years added to the end of the 2 years he has left

to me that is 30 mill over 6 years - 5 mill a year avg

Did anyone notice his new contract is basically the same as Mario's coming out of college in 2006?

6 years 54 million.

I don't care how they break it down with what paid out in what year.

I am just looking at it as 30 mill guaranteed - and it was 4 years added to the end of the 2 years he has left

to me that is 30 mill over 6 years - 5 mill a year avg

You are ignoring base salary. He will be getting paid roughly 13 million a year.

And this is why I don't financially support the NFL by buying tickets or going to the games. They are lucky I actually bought a baseball cap once.

Players make to much, owners squeeze the ticket buyers for it, and the TV announcers are about as intelligent as a retarded lizard.

And channel 13 still has a contract for broadcasting the preseason Texans games.

I'm so disappointed in Bud right now. I was sure that his senility would extend this holdout when mixed with his stubbornness. Is anyone sure that his carcass has not been turned into an animatronics machine and someone else is making the decisions??

And this is why I don't financially support the NFL by buying tickets or going to the games. They are lucky I actually bought a baseball cap once.

Players make to much, owners squeeze the ticket buyers for it, and the TV announcers are about as intelligent as a retarded lizard.

And channel 13 still has a contract for broadcasting the preseason Texans games.

You go girl

Isn't it funny how players always seem to come to terms or go to jail (Cedric Benson) juuuuust when it makes them miss the dreaded preseason (or the rest of it, in Ced's case).

Btw, two counts of misdemeanor assault, and he goes away for a week - at his choosing?? That ain't effing right

Back