Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Carson Wentz, My #1 QB going into 2015 college season

Very happy for Wentz just on a human level for his getting recognized right now, just as I'd be happy to hear about any kid working his way up. But f*ck if it doesn't sting as a fan to have him wiggle his way up and out of range for us to go get. We draft fist overall and there's no real standout 1.1-worthy QB to hitch the franchise to, we draft 22 and the guy I think would be terrific at that spot goes and works his way possibly into the top 10.

Frusf*ck*ngstrating.

• One area scout of a team picking in the top 10 that doesn't need a quarterback was gushing over North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz. The team has given him a first-round grade and thinks that Wentz is the real deal. They say that Wentz has a good arm, size and athleticism, and they love him off the field. They like his pocket presence, field vision, experience under center, making play calls in the huddle, and potential to grow in the NFL. The scout said that he will fill out his frame in a NFL strength and conditioning program. That area scout said the big challenge for Wentz will be the drastic change in the speed of the game coming from North Dakota State's opponents compared to the NFL. This week at the Senior Bowl could vault Wentz high in the first round.
  • How high? Extremely high. In speaking with sources at the Browns, Wentz is definitely in play with Cleveland. He's viewed as a first-rounder despite a small sample size of starts in college. Sources say the Browns really like Wentz. There are some who believe that Wentz is the best quarterback prospect and they say the only reason why Wentz isn't the consensus No. 1 quarterback is the helmet he wears (i.e. coming from a small school). Assuming the Browns move on from Johnny Manziel and draft a quarterback, it sounds like they are focused on Wentz or Cal quarterback Jared Goff. Both are rated ahead of Memphis' Paxton Lynch, and Wentz could be the early lean.

Read more at http://www.walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2016rumors.php#0Mirc67wsoQAiP9M.99

If he bombs at the Senior Bowl, will that change anyone's mind?

Keep in mind, bombing at the Senior Bowl may help him be available at 22.

If he bombs at the Senior Bowl, will that change anyone's mind?

Keep in mind, bombing at the Senior Bowl may help him be available at 22.

Depends on the particulars of the bomb. If it's just a rough game that could happen to anyone then I'm not too bothered. If it's because he looks like a fish out of water against the competition upgrade then I'd be interested in catching up to him at the combine to see how he answers direct questions about the subject. Maybe I get a vibe that he's lacking confidence in his position and I'll begin to shy away from him. Either way I'd still be very interested in him and not let one exhibition game just close the door. It would just guide the next step in the eval of him and we'd go from there.

Did he say anything untrue?

Comparing him to Jake Locker... I thought Locker's issue was that he couldn't stay healthy & that pretty much screwed up his development.

The thing about having to adjust to the NFL, I think it's a little overstated, but it is an issue. Many players, like Flacco & Ben have overcome that.

& it's not a bad idea to have a plan for how you're going to get your "franchise" QB ready for the NFL.
what health injuries? Other than toe injury preseason what were the issues? He did not miss any game IIRC.

I´m honest. I do like that he climbs and gets out of our reach if that means the other guys drop.
I would love to the Goff drop to us, and i know it doesnt seem he will right know. But if you see how Wentz got up, maybe someone else will fall.

Here is why. I only have seen a few tapes of Wentz. He might have good skills, but he had great running game to support him.

I do like more a Manning/Brady/Rodgers-Type QB for us. A guy with a pass-first offense who can carry the game himself. If we take Wentz, we will also need a Running Back.

Maybe i´m wrong. But i will not hop on the Wentz Bandwagon. Dont get me wrong, i dont think he´s bad. I only would like us to have another guy and its not enough what i see, right now.

I´m honest. I do like that he climbs and gets out of our reach if that means the other guys drop.
I would love to the Goff drop to us, and i know it doesnt seem he will right know. But if you see how Wentz got up, maybe someone else will fall.

Here is why. I only have seen a few tapes of Wentz. He might have good skills, but he had great running game to support him.

I do like more a Manning/Brady/Rodgers-Type QB for us. A guy with a pass-first offense who can carry the game himself. If we take Wentz, we will also need a Running Back.

Maybe i´m wrong. But i will not hop on the Wentz Bandwagon. Dont get me wrong, i dont think he´s bad. I only would like us to have another guy and its not enough what i see, right now.

We need a running back in any case... I want the best QB and RB available. We may not be able to get the #1 at both spots, but #1 of 1 and #2 of the other wouldn't be bad at all

It's early and you guys know draft time is always a smoke screen but if Goff and Wentz are gone...maybe Lynch is the guy to fall. No one here seems excited about him.

hated that interview with Mayock. just too polite for my taste. Mayock touched on his deep throws. Have him my 3rd QB in this draft

pff left him out of their last mock
Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis
The general perception is that Lynch is a first-round talent, and while his development since his freshman year is encouraging, he’s not a lock to go in the top 32. The size, arm and athleticism stand out, as does the touch he shows on a number of throws, but he’s often inaccurate when asked to throw the ball with velocity and that’s a concern. His accuracy percentage at the intermediate level (10-19 yards) and outside the numbers is only 49.0 percent — among the worst marks in the nation. On a positive note, Lynch graded well overall (+31.4, 10th in the nation) and he’s continued to improve every year, from high school through his junior season as Memphis. He’s a candidate to rise in the process as we further our evaluations, but at this point, we’re not confident enough to lock him into the first round.

I'm 100% convinced that if the Texans want Wentz, they must wheel and deal for third overall

Probably cost prohibitive to move that high... and that might not be high enough

brownsb_logo.gif
Cleveland Browns: Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State
NorthDakotaState_logo.gif

Toward the end of the season, I thought the Browns would draft Joey Bosa. Things change quickly, however, and as we all learned, Johnny Manziel is having major personal issues, pretending to be someone named Billy in Vegas while drinking his life away. The Browns can't go forward with a self-destructive alcoholic. New regimes mean new quarterbacks, anyhow, so Cleveland's front office will want to obtain its own guy.

If you check out the Senior Bowl Coverage, you'll see that Charlie Campbell's Monday rumors page has a report in which the Browns really like Carson Wentz. This is a lot closer than people think between Wentz and Jared Goff, and if the former has a strong showing in Mobile, he could emerge as the favorite to be chosen No. 2 overall.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2016.php

Just using the general chart (I know it's not entirely accurate nor reflective of the situation), we could theoretically move:
1-22(780) and 2-22(370) for 1-13(1150)
or
1-22(780) and 2017 1st(500) for 1-11(1250)
or
1-22(780) and 2-22(370) and 2017 1st(500) for 1-6(1600)
or
1-22(780) and 2-22(370) and 3-22(165) and 2017 1st(500) FOR 1-4(1800).

How much better is THAT QB (Wentz/Goff/Lynch) than say a Cook or Hackenburg who is likely to be there at 22 or even Savage who is already on board?

I'm not a QB is everything kind of guy, so I know I'd be more hesitant than most.

Just using the general chart (I know it's not entirely accurate nor reflective of the situation), we could theoretically move:
1-22(780) and 2-22(370) for 1-13(1150)
or
1-22(780) and 2017 1st(500) for 1-11(1250)
or
1-22(780) and 2-22(370) and 2017 1st(500) for 1-6(1600)
or
1-22(780) and 2-22(370) and 3-22(165) and 2017 1st(500) FOR 1-4(1800).

How much better is THAT QB (Wentz/Goff/Lynch) than say a Cook or Hackenburg who is likely to be there at 22 or even Savage who is already on board?

I'm not a QB is everything kind of guy, so I know I'd be more hesitant than most.

At those prices, I may just go RB and stock up the cupboard elsewhere. Another year of random QB and hoping the lights turn on for one of our guys...aka the Savage prayer.

I'm not sold on the Browns taking a QB with their 1st. I understand their need, but they need to stop trying to hit homeruns & get on base. If you know what I mean.

At those prices, I may just go RB and stock up the cupboard elsewhere. Another year of random QB and hoping the lights turn on for one of our guys...aka the Savage prayer.
I'd like to have Weedon back along with Savage so we can stick with value at the QB position in the draft. But the DEMAND for a shiny new toy at the position may put us in a position of Cleveland-like over reaching.

I'd like to have Weedon back along with Savage so we can stick with value at the QB position in the draft. But the DEMAND for a shiny new toy at the position may put us in a position of Cleveland-like over reaching.

Or puts you in the position of finally picking a good QB. Something the Texans have never done. And yet fans want to keep on waiting for one to fall in their laps...and then pass on him.

Or puts you in the position of finally picking a good QB. Something the Texans have never done. And yet fans want to keep on waiting for one to fall in their laps...and then pass on him.

Yeah that's what I don't get...

The Texans had value fall to them at the qb position in OB's first draft and instead we went with X sua filo who I liked at the time, but not more than I liked some of those qb's that were within range.

im not really sure what their plan is at qb tbh. That's a good thing I suppose, but if their plan is to give savage the reigns I don't think they are giving this team the best shot to win.

For the Texans to move ahead of the Cowboys would take a minimum of (3) 1st RD draft picks, plus, plus.

For Goff I would do it.

I wouldn't like it but I would do it. Would it be an overpay? Most likely

I've got Goff rated on the Luck/Winston/Ryan scale.

You can find quality OL/WR's/TE's in rds 2-4/FA. Well, most GM's can, Rick not so much

I'm not sold on the Browns taking a QB with their 1st. I understand their need, but they need to stop trying to hit homeruns & get on base. If you know what I mean.
I personally think they'll go after Cook in round 2. I think Hue wants a big school QB as opposed to Lynch or Wentz. Put in just guessing with that

For Goff I would do it.

I wouldn't like it but I would do it. Would it be an overpay? Most likely

I've got Goff rated on the Luck/Winston/Ryan scale.

You can find quality OL/WR's/TE's in rds 2-4/FA. Well, most GM's can, Rick not so much

For instance Fahn Cooper/Le'Raven Clark should be available in the 3rd. Braxton Miller/Braverman should be available in the same range.

I know the NFL (and often the fans too) takes a really bad stand on players who do this but I really think if I was a QB coming out today and expected to go to Cleveland I'd tell them flat out I'm not playing for them. Elway did it to Baltimore and Eli did it to San Diego and both had good careers after forcing the issue.

I don't know why a young QB would even be willing to set foot in Cleveland at this point.

I know the NFL (and often the fans too) takes a really bad stand on players who do this but I really think if I was a QB coming out today and expected to go to Cleveland I'd tell them flat out I'm not playing for them. Elway did it to Baltimore and Eli did it to San Diego and both had good careers after forcing the issue.

I don't know why a young QB would even be willing to set foot in Cleveland at this point.

And what's his name did it to the Oilers... Jim Everett

For the kid's sake I agree with you.

As a Texans fan, I couldn't care less what happens to the Browns' players.

As a guy who spends a lot of his free time studying and evaluating players as a hobby, it will be a small kick to the gut to watch a talented player like Goff or Wentz get destroyed there when they appear to have the skills to succeed pretty much anywhere.

Or declare early so the texans draft Carr instead of vick...

The Cowboys don't take a 1st Rd QB. Jerry believes Romo has 3-4 more years and believes Romo will get to the Superb Owl. He wants a fill in not a replacement.

tend to agree...Romo and sign a solid vet
add I think they are delusional. They seemed convinced that they are still a great team

Every team that takes a QB in the first thinks they'll be set for 15 years. Most are wrong and still looking for said QB.

Every team that takes a QB in the first thinks they'll be set for 15 years. Most are wrong and still looking for said QB.
If you had read the article you would know that this was not the Browns making the 15 year claim but another team's NFL Exec.

tend to agree...Romo and sign a solid vet
add I think they are delusional. They seemed convinced that they are still a great team
I would not be surprised to see the Cowboys trade up to #1 with Titans to take Wentz after spending a week coaching the guy and falling completely in love with him.

The draft is all smoke and mirrors...except when Texian talks. He knows all.

Every year some guy gets hyped up and drops. Some teams are playing chess, some are playing checkers. Its entirely too early in this process.

Damn that's funny. There are people in this world who think Cleveland is ever going to be "set".

Well Haslam yesterday said he thinks they can salvage Manziel
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...hinks-relationship-with-manziel-can-be-fixed/ The circle of life continues!

To keep this post on topic:

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 11h11 hours ago
Carson Wentz's QB coach said the #Bills visited campus to see him as much as any team in the league. There's been interest for a while.

Back