Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Carson Wentz, My #1 QB going into 2015 college season

Texian

Hall of Fame
After reviewing the what I believe to be the Top 10 2016 Draft Eligible QBs starting the 2015 college season, Carson Wentz starts out as my #1 QB.

Carson Wentz, 6'5", 222, North Dakota State University.

A 4.0 student, delivers some BIG TIME game winning drives.

2014 - Completed 228 of 358 passes for 3,111 yards with 25 touchdowns and 10 interceptions...NDSU's second-leading rusher with 138 carries for 642 yards and six TDs while averaging 4.7 yards per carry.

Highlight Video:

After reviewing the what I believe to be the Top 10 2016 Draft Eligible QBs starting the 2015 college season, Carson Wentz starts out as my #1 QB.

Carson Wentz, 6'5", 222, North Dakota State University.

A 4.0 student, delivers some BIG TIME game winning drives.

2014 - Completed 228 of 358 passes for 3,111 yards with 25 touchdowns and 10 interceptions...NDSU's second-leading rusher with 138 carries for 642 yards and six TDs while averaging 4.7 yards per carry.

Is he this (or next) years Bortles? How does he compare?

Don't really care about what I guy's GPA is though, we've already seen in the past that has little to do with the transition into the NFL.. Much like the wonderlich scores.. I mean it's something to look at, I just don't put much weight into it when judging talent.

Throws on a rope, classic pro-system QB who takes snaps under center 5-7 step drops, goes through progressions, plus size & athletic. Great Find!

Big fan of Wentz. I like him a lot.

Texian, I thought you had Boykin as your #1 at this point?

At the end of the 2014 season Boykin was on the top of my list. Going into the 2015 college season I have had additional time to study and review, what I considered, the Top 10 QBs. I've since moved Carson Wentz to my #1 QB available for the 2016 NFL Draft. Boykin is still in my Top 3.

Throws on a rope, classic pro-system QB who takes snaps under center 5-7 step drops, goes through progressions, plus size & athletic. Great Find!

Wentz does have an impressive arm. He had no problem throwing a 60 yd pass. Made it look easy. I also think he throws the ball well running to his right and left, play action and bootleg, is able to extend plays and can run well when he needs to. As you noted takes snaps from under center and looks well coached in 3-5-7 step drops. He makes some really great throws in some very tight windows. He does throw the ball on a rope on sideline and out patterns. I think I was most impressed with his two game winning drives in the playoffs delivering the win with under a minute left in the game.

I have Hackenburg #1 but Wentz looks like a Top 25 pick at this point (long way to go). Wrote this up a few weeks ago....

Carson Wentz, North Dakota State (7.4 Top 25)

Smooth setup with active feet. Lower body mechanics are inconsistent at best. Very good pocket awareness, senses pressure and doesn't panic. Goes through progressions while moving in the pocket but can get first downs with his legs. Will break tackles and move the pile in short yardage. Makes quick reads and sticks tight window throws without any fear and great placement (even vs double teams). Lets his receivers make plays and consistently puts the ball where only they have the shot. Rushes short passes and gets a decent amount of tipped passes. Deadly accurate intermediate and on sideline throws. Excellent touch on deep passes. Quick delivery that should get more repeatable (gets a bit loose at times) this year. Arm strength is good and will get much better when his lower body mechanics sync with his upper body. Has command of his offense and plays better in pressure situations. Great size. Winner.

SET UP AND POCKET AWARENESS - 10 (76) 56

-quickness to release from under center into three-, five-, or seven-step drops with mobility and foot quickness with balance
+

-chin on shoulder for backside awareness
+

-mobility in pocket to elude and avoid...hitch, hitch slide and throw
+++

-feel pocket pressure
++

-strength in pocket
++

-does he know when to run/throw
+

-roll out left and right
+

-square shoulders on the move
+

-does he drift in the pocket?
No

FIELD VISION/DEFENSE AND COVERAGE RECOGNITION - 10

-pre snap defensive reads/ability to identify the Mike linebacker, low safety or corner from slot and change protection
+

-blitz recognition

-ability to audible or change play at the line of scrimmage
+

-finding primary and secondary receivers
++

-coverage recognition on the move
++

-quick and accurate reads
++

-proper progression
++

-timing
++

ACCURACY AND TOUCH - 10

-throwing all types of passing variations, trajectory, and ability to spin ball while taking off some strength
+++
-short: catchable balls thrown where defenders can't make a play, squeeze into window, screen/swing passes

-intermediate/long: Stick it on receiver, deep-ball placement, squeeze over linebacker in front of safeties
+++

DELIVERY AND RELEASE - 8

-type of release (over ear, sidearm, pitcher release on post leg, elongated motion)?
++

-upper-body passer lacks weight transfer?
0 (needs work)

-foot placement/balance

-release quickness
+

-follow through
+

-throw from different platforms?
Yes

ARM STRENGTH - 8

-live arm?
Yes

-intermediate velocity/zip
++

-long velocity/zip
+

-tightness of spiral

-wind up deep?
No

-balls lose interest?
No

LEADERSHIP AND POISE - 6

-commands respect, raises expectation while elevating the play of teammates?
++

-composure and the ability to perform in pressure situations
++

-not forcing balls into double or triple coverage
+

-ability and confidence to consistently deliver big plays under pressure
++

-smart decisions in time out management, milk clock before snapping ball
+

-4th quarter
+

BALL HANDLING - 4

-hand size
+

-under center transfer

-snap in shotgun
+

-selling play action
++

-smooth with eyes downfield
++

-where does the QB hold the ball
+

RUNNING ABILITY- 4

-scrambling
++

-ability to run downhill with production
+

-big-play runner

-yards after contact
+

POTENTIAL - 10

-if utilized in ideal scenario

HEIGHT/WEIGHT - 6

-for a particular position

7.5 +Top 5 pick
7.0 - 7.4 Top 25
6.5 - 6.9 Top 50
5.7 - 6.4 Top 100
5.4 - 5.6 Top 150
4.5 - 5.3 UDFA

For those who're curious and what may be your only chance to see Carson Wentz LIVE until possibly December playoffs: TOMORROW, Saturday Aug 29th @ Montana 3:30 PM ET/2:30 PM CST ESPN

Last edited:
Carson Wentz played like a first rounder in the first half and a 7th rounder in the 2nd half. Had three opportunities to put the game away and get the win for his team and was unable to do it. Ball security is his biggest weakness. In other words he shot a 30 on the front nine and a 40 on the back.

Carson Wentz played like a first rounder in the first half and a 7th rounder in the 2nd half. Had three opportunities to put the game away and get the win for his team and was unable to do it. Ball security is his biggest weakness. In other words he shot a 30 on the front nine and a 40 on the back.

Still made the cut :pirate:

This might explain why Wentz played like a 7th rounder in the 2nd half.

Bison QB Carson Wentz suffers high ankle sprain, may miss game

"Wentz, the Most Outstanding Player of NDSU's FCS national championship game win last January, was injured during the second half of the top-ranked Bison's 38-35 loss at No. 13 Montana."

http://espn.go.com/college-football...n-qb-carson-wentz-sidelined-high-ankle-sprain

This might explain why Wentz played like a 7th rounder in the 2nd half.

Bison QB Carson Wentz suffers high ankle sprain, may miss game

"Wentz, the Most Outstanding Player of NDSU's FCS national championship game win last January, was injured during the second half of the top-ranked Bison's 38-35 loss at No. 13 Montana."

http://espn.go.com/college-football...n-qb-carson-wentz-sidelined-high-ankle-sprain
Am I the only one jaded as soon as I hear High Ankle Sprain now? I know it's not Lis Franc (sic), but it brings the out the same emotions.

Am I the only one jaded as soon as I hear High Ankle Sprain now? I know it's not Lis Franc (sic), but it brings the out the same emotions.
When I hear HIGH ANKLE SPRAIN the thoughts and words NEXT YEAR immediately spring into my mind.

North Dakota State beats South Dakota State 28-7

NDSU quarterback Carson Wentz and the four-time defending national champion Bison carved up the Jackrabbits 28-7 in a Missouri Valley Conference showdown.

"He's a complete player," SDSU coach John Stiegelmeier said. "He's an NFL-type player."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...state-beats-south-dakota-state-28-7/73322886/

This Game: Comp 19 ATT 27 YDs 183 70.4% YPA 6.78 Long 30 TD 1 INT 0 Sacks 0 QB Rating139.5 Rushing YDs 54 Rush TDs 1

Vs Norther Iowa Comp 26 ATT 40 YDs 335 65.0% YPA 8.38 Long 42 TDs 4 INTs 2 Sacks 1 QB Rating 158.4

Delivered another classic game winning drive, threw winning TD with 35 sec left in the game.

dfc338a0-11fa-4180-ae7b-a24992cf980b.jpg

I hear Northern Iowa is the really though half of FCS Iowa football this year.

Doesn't N.D. State play a couple different directions in Illinois later this year too? Should be pretty epic.

Bison beat Northern Iowa on last-minute TD pass from Wentz to Shepherd
http://kfgo.com/news/articles/2015/...n-last-minute-td-pass-from-wentz-to-shepherd/

Breaking Down North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz
While the mainstream media and the draft media are all over Cal’s Jared Goff and Michigan State’s Connor Cook, the NFL team scouts are quietly very impressed with North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz. While the level of competition is a concern, Wentz has all the tools to become a quality starter in the National Football League.

While there will be a learning curve when he gets to the NFL, I can still see him becoming a starter very early in his career. The upside is he will develop into a quality starter. He has more talent than Jimmy Garoppolo from the 2014 draft and should get drafted higher. From what I have seen to date, I would have no problem pulling the trigger on this player in the first round.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/breaking-down-north-dakota-state-qb-carson-wentz/

Greg Gabriel says:
October 9, 2015 at 3:17 pm
Ben – A day after I wrote up Goff last week I got call from an NFL Personnel Director asking me if I had done much work on Wentz. I had not done anything this year but I had do0ne a little from last year (during the playoffs).
This guy told me that Wentz was getting a lot of attention from NFL people and I should probably do more work.
After watching tape this week the first thing I can say was he jumped out at me. There was NOTHING I didn’t like about his game. He’s poised, shows leadership on the field, knows and understands the offensive scheme and does an excellent job running that scheme. He has all the physical tools necessary to become a very good NFL QB.

Last edited:
So I finally got my lazy arse around to watching a few games of Carson Wentz. I'm very much a fan of Carson Wentz.

He's not without his warts, but the pluses jump out a great deal. Can't wait to keep an eye on him come poke 'n prod time.

So I finally got my lazy arse around to watching a few games of Carson Wentz. I'm very much a fan of Carson Wentz.

He's not without his warts, but the pluses jump out a great deal. Can't wait to keep an eye on him come poke 'n prod time.
His biggest fault is his ball security. He tends to fumble more than he should.

His biggest fault is his ball security. He tends to fumble more than he should.

The games I watched I didn't see security issues. Not saying they aren't there, just didn't crop up in those games.

I saw that his accuracy gets wonky at times, especially deep and near the sideline. Like he tries to caress the ball in a little too much instead of just trusting his natural throwing motion. Also I don't ever see a read beyond the second look at most. This could just be scheme, and maybe a little with the fact that he's athletic enough that by that time he feels it's time to rely on his legs a bit to move away from any danger.

But even these things aren't killers, all completely coachable. To what appears a very coachable kid no less.

And again, these are the flip side of a lot of very observable positives.

The games I watched I didn't see security issues. Not saying they aren't there, just didn't crop up in those games.

I saw that his accuracy gets wonky at times, especially deep and near the sideline. Like he tries to caress the ball in a little too much instead of just trusting his natural throwing motion. Also I don't ever see a read beyond the second look at most. This could just be scheme, and maybe a little with the fact that he's athletic enough that by that time he feels it's time to rely on his legs a bit to move away from any danger.

But even these things aren't killers, all completely coachable. To what appears a very coachable kid no less.

And again, these are the flip side of a lot of very observable positives.

If you can only watch one Wentz video I suggest the RSP No. 52. These two well informed football nerds (both smarter than me) do a great job of breaking down Wentz.

Maybe not.

Lots of stuff to be taken from the video of Brock Jensen , the greatest QB in NDSU history that kept Wentz on the pine for 2 years . Where was he drafted you ask , he wasn't . He was an UDFA that signed with Miami but was cut . He now plays in Canada . Jensen had decent size at 6'3 230 . He ran a 4.7 40 and had a nice vertical . I think he got penalized for playing at a small school .

Lots of stuff to be taken from the video of Brock Jensen , the greatest QB in NDSU history that kept Wentz on the pine for 2 years . Where was he drafted you ask , he wasn't . He was an UDFA that signed with Miami but was cut . He now plays in Canada . Jensen had decent size at 6'3 230 . He ran a 4.7 40 and had a nice vertical . I think he got penalized for playing at a small school .

So... he's basically Drew Henson?

Comparing Wentz and Jensen's Juniors years, Wentz threw for almost 1000 yds more than Jensen, had better stats in almost every category and broke many of Jensen's records.

Comparing Wentz and Jensen's Juniors years, Wentz threw for almost 1000 yds more than Jensen, had better stats in almost every category and broke many of Jensen's records.

My post was to give an idea on how the league viewed a NDSU QB . From what I saw Jensen ran the ball pretty good and maybe a better dual threat guy . I need see if Jensen was invited to any post season events .

My post was to give an idea on how the league viewed a NDSU QB . From what I saw Jensen ran the ball pretty good and maybe a better dual threat guy . I need see if Jensen was invited to any post season events .
Wentz has more yards rushing than Jensen at this stage in their college careers. Wentz is a better athlete.

Wentz is a better QB than Jimmy Garappolo, Eastern Illinois, 2nd RD pick, Ohio Valley Conference. There's not much difference in competition, if any in the Missouri Valley Conference.

"While there will be a learning curve when he gets to the NFL, I can still see him becoming a starter very early in his career. The upside is he will develop into a quality starter. He has more talent than Jimmy Garoppolo from the 2014 draft and should get drafted higher. From what I have seen to date, I would have no problem pulling the trigger on this player in the first round."
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/breaking-down-north-dakota-state-qb-carson-wentz/

Two years ago about this time I was saying that Blake Bortles would be a first rd draft pick and wouldn't be surprised if he was the first QB selected. Many disagreed, one they were saying Bortles would return to school and two, if he did declare he would be a day 2 or 3 draft pick. At this stage in the process Carson Wentz is better than Blake Bortles.

Last edited:
Back