Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Call it now what we should have done

mussop

Hall of Fame
I know it’s hindsight but what IYO should we have done?

Personally I would’ve taken the deal that the colts got from Washington for our #23. We would of had #46 and an early second next year for moving down 23 spots. I know that sounds like a lot but look at who should be available at 46 and consider that second round pick is from Washington who will be rebuilding so it’s most likely a very high second rounder.

We probably could of still gotten Howard and added that pick. Anyway that’s what I think we should of done. It’ll be interesting to see who is available at 46.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I know it’s hindsight but what IYO should we have done?

Personally I would’ve taken the deal that the colts got from Washington for our #23. We would of had #46 and an early second next year for moving down 23 spots. I know that sounds like a lot but look at who should be available at 46 and consider that second round pick is from Washington who will be rebuilding so it’s most likely a very high second rounder.

We probably could of still gotten Howard and added that pick. Anyway that’s what I think we should of done. It’ll be interesting to see who is available at 46.
Did the Texans even recieve the offer the Colts got? Did the Redskins have any reason to believe either the Texans or Ravens or Colts were going to take Sweat?

mussop

Hall of Fame
Did the Texans even recieve the offer the Colts got? Did the Redskins have any reason to believe either the Texans or Ravens or Colts were going to take Sweat?

The colts got the deal. Obviously it was out there. If we were doing our due diligence we should of know about it. Besides this is about getting value. We didn’t get value and a team in our division behind us in the draft did. There is no excuse.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
The colts got the deal. Obviously it was out there. If we were doing our due diligence we should of know about it. Besides this is about getting value. We didn’t get value and a team in our division behind us in the draft did. There is no excuse.
Pretty narrow minded thinking

mussop

Hall of Fame
Exactly what we did do.

Fan base cries for months about OL. Franchise uses highest draft pick on OL. Fan base cries and declares franchise incompetent. Bizarre.
It’s not about the player. I have no problem with the player. I like him. It’s about getting the most value out of your picks. This guy is a project pick if you can’t see that it’s on you.

bah007

Hall of Fame
It’s not about the player. I have no problem with the player. I like him. It’s about getting the most value out of your picks. This guy is a project pick if you can’t see that it’s on you.
Getting a player you like is the point of the draft. That's maximum value. What higher value is there than getting a good player? This isn't Madden where you can reset the game if you trade back too far and miss your guy.

If you are willing to share, I would be very interested in hearing what you define as a "project pick" and why you are so sure Howard is one.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
If you say so. Taking a project when their are starting caliber players at other need positions is stupid. A team right behind us got the deal but we couldn’t? That’s narrow minded to think that.
Just saying that just because the Colts were offered the deal doesn't mean the Texans were. Seems everyone knew what the Texans were going to do

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
But see it is about the player b/c if this guy turns out to be a stud that probably should’ve been drafted much higher, then we got great value where we selected him. This is not counting the ripple effect of not having to give up picks to move up and get him where we very well could land another key player. Of course, the inverse also holds true.

Speculating on how much “value” we did/didn’t get now is a fools errand much in the same way draft “experts” grade team drafts literally 1 day after they happen.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
But see it is about the player b/c if this guy turns out to be a stud that probably should’ve been drafted much higher, then we got great value where we selected him. This is not counting the ripple effect of not having to give up picks to move up and get him where we very well could land another key player. Of course, the inverse also holds true.

Speculating on how much “value” we did/didn’t get now is a fools errand much in the same way draft “experts” grade team drafts literally 1 day after they happen.
But yet most everyone on this MB complains about OB being the 'smartest man in the room'.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Just saying that just because the Colts were offered the deal doesn't mean the Texans were. Seems everyone knew what the Texans were going to do
The Eagles were fairly certain and yet I don't see how unless they got a scoop from someone.
For example, two very good CBs were still on the board as was Jachai Polite and two fine WRs so it is a bit of a toss up as to which way Texans could go.

mussop

Hall of Fame

If if we’re butts. Bla bla bla. Again don’t want to trade up fine. I was ok with staying put. I was ok with trading down. I was ok with drafting a starter at 23. I’m not ok with drafting a small school weak ass project (even though I like him) over other players that would of come in and started and made a difference immediately at other positions of need.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

A lot of people reasonably expect 1st rounders to be day 1 starters. There are exceptions of course with QBs being the obvious. I think players taken in the bottom third of the 1st can be exempted from this unwritten and arbitrary rule unless they impress their coach in the preseason games.

mussop

Hall of Fame
It was a 4th rounder this year or a 3rd in 2020. They were on the phone with us and Eagles at the same time.
So it’s a third next year and we get Dillard or keep our third and take Howard. Or keep our third and draft a starter at RT. Or trade down acquire more picks. I would take any one of those choices over Howard. And again I like Howard but not so much that I’m taking him over a starter at other need areas or even Sweat a top 10 talent that fell.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
If if we’re butts. Bla bla bla. Again don’t want to trade up fine. I was ok with staying put. I was ok with trading down. I was ok with drafting a starter at 23. I’m not ok with drafting a small school weak ass project (even though I like him) over other players that would of come in and started and made a difference immediately at other positions of need.
Duane Brown came from a power 5 school and wasn’t a day 1 starter. We know how he progressed.

But ok Nostradamus, how do u know he won’t be a day 1 starter? Hell how do u know any of these other players would’ve come in, started and made a difference?

Wolf12339

Waterboy
So it’s a third next year and we get Dillard or keep our third and take Howard. Or keep our third and draft a starter at RT. Or trade down acquire more picks. I would take any one of those choices over Howard. And again I like Howard but not so much that I’m taking him over a starter at other need areas or even Sweat a top 10 talent that fell.
Yes we only had to match the Eagles 4th rounder in value.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
They still get a good CB imo so no harm, no foul.
If they wait, they might get Howard or Little but what if both are off the board?
Then they really reach to get a LT.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
GFY. It’s my opinion. We will see. You want to start this Name calling you can kiss my ass. Anyone with a lick of common sense and half a fken brain knows Ford or Risner would come in and start on this **** OL right away. If you’re to stupid to know that don’t respond to me anymore dick head.
And it’s a stupid opinion at that. You’re angry b/c u look dumb & the whole premise of this thread is dumb.....and on top of all this the 2 guys u named are still available for us to get in the 2nd if we really want them.

But I’m the stupid 1...lol

mussop

Hall of Fame
And it’s a stupid opinion at that. You’re angry b/c u look dumb & the whole premise of this thread is dumb.....and on top of all this the 2 guys u named are still available for us to get in the 2nd if we really want them.

But I’m the stupid 1...lol
Yes you are. That’s obvious!

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Help me out here friends - I'm not seeing anything anywhere that shows Howard as a LT. Instead, all I see is RT.
This leaves me scratching my head here - as to why then did we not take Jawaan Taylor, who is projected as a day 1 RT starter?
Am I missing something?
If Howard is a bust and Taylor is a probowl RT, then Gaine is gonna eat this one.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Help me out here friends - I'm not seeing anything anywhere that shows Howard as a LT. Instead, all I see is RT.
This leaves me scratching my head here - as to why then did we not take Jawaan Taylor, who is projected as a day 1 RT starter?
Am I missing something?
If Howard is a bust and Taylor is a probowl RT, then Gaine is gonna eat this one.
Why don't you think Howard can start at LT? I see him as anywhere but maybe C. Dude is a football player. Maybe even a jumbo TE

markn

All Pro
Am I missing something?
He played LT when the QB was right handed and RT when left handed. That shows great versatility for a blind-side tackle.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Look at the rumors, even the draft night talk. It was obvious Texans needed OL help and Dillard was at the top of the list...or are you just pulling my chain?
My question is, why wouldn't Jonah Williams be at the top of their board?

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Why don't you think Howard can start at LT? I see him as anywhere but maybe C. Dude is a football player. Maybe even a jumbo TE
Like I already said, I haven't seen anywhere that says he would be a LT.
What was that about people not bothering to read? ;)

banned1976

sleeper mode
If I’m building for the future, I would have done basically the same thing or tried to accumulate as many picks as possible. And maybe the Texans tried to do that, I don’t know.

If I’m thinking about winning now, I would have been more active in FA, bolstering my o-line and using the draft on weapons for Watson and pass rushers knowing Clowney would be gone after this year.

I hope the people cheering the Texans now will be patient with them later but I doubt many will.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
Uggh, It's all a crap shoot, very few guarantees if any, period. I'm no expert, who here is? Yea that's what I thought. Some of the draftniks remind me of the D&D kids from high school. I'm just saying 99% of this is wait and see.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Texans are in a rebuilding mode on the run. They’re getting waxed in the draft by the Colts. The Titans have had only three picks but all studs. Then you have Texans & Jacksonville. Would give Jags edge just because where they drafted and took best player available with their first pick, Josh Allen. So that leaves Texans in the cellar of their own division. Appreciate the emphasis on tackle but clearly not the best players available all prospects drafted have a low floor but a high ceiling. Let’s just hope they hit their ceilings.

gafftop

All Pro
Traded Clowney for whatever you could get. Say a 2nd, 4th worst case. Maybe not what is considered fair value but then we have Dilliard and another 2nd draft round choice.
In my opinion the Draft is somewhat of a crapshoot. So the more chances the better so the only thing that could drastically change draft was to get more quality chances. Our best possible chance was to trade Clowney. i could see us next year letting him walk like we let our last 1.1 do Mario Williams. Can't remember what we got for David Carr but we have had three 1.1s and I am not sure we have gotten anything but compensatory picks in exchange. Says something about our organization I think.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Traded Clowney for whatever you could get. Say a 2nd, 4th worst case. Maybe not what is considered fair value but then we have Dilliard and another 2nd draft round choice.
In my opinion the Draft is somewhat of a crapshoot. So the more chances the better so the only thing that could drastically change draft was to get more quality chances. Our best possible chance was to trade Clowney. i could see us next year letting him walk like we let our last 1.1 do Mario Williams. Can't remember what we got for David Carr but we have had three 1.1s and I am not sure we have gotten anything but compensatory picks in exchange. Says something about our organization I think.
The Clowney trade opportunity came and went in RD1. My biggest concern is Clowney deciding to no show this year and essentially force the Texans to trade him next season....if they choose to tag him once again.

Damn, give this man a contract or move on but do not let this situation fester!!!!

When I saw all the talent available in RD4.....I was thinking, trade Clowney for a RD4 this year and take a 2020 RD1 and RD3. I just hate to see the Texans lose Clowney with no early round compensation.....they'll have to live with a RD3 COMP pick.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
The Clowney trade opportunity came and went in RD1. My biggest concern is Clowney deciding to no show this year and essentially force the Texans to trade him next season....if they choose to tag him once again.

Damn, give this man a contract or move on but do not let this situation fester!!!!

When I saw all the talent available in RD4.....I was thinking, trade Clowney for a RD4 this year and take a 2020 RD1 and RD3. I just hate to see the Texans lose Clowney with no early round compensation.....they'll have to live with a RD3 COMP pick.
Don’t know what Gaine expected by going public with this? Should be held close to the vest, not much of a :poker:player. No movement in or out of selections. This is headed towards same conclusion as Duane Brown with Clowney if they don’t agree on a contract before their self inflicted season opener deadline.

Last edited:

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Hindsight draft (without trading):-
#23 - Byron Murphy CB
#54 - Tytus Howard OL
#55 - Max Sharping OL
#86 - Julian Love CB
#161 - I bow to the Omenuhi pick here. Great pick.
#!93 - Kelvin Harmon WR (Even though he may not play ST, he is solid depth for the receiver pos. PS stash)
#220 - Beau Benschawel OG
At the 7th pick, it was obvious some good RB's were going to slide off the board and the "top" ones were gone. So, Benschawel was just too good to pass up here and could fight for a starting spot. The dude they took in the 7th likely slides off the board and they take him in UDFA.
But that's just me - I can't resist value.
Time will tell how our actual picks grade out.

Last edited:

Blake

MMQB
Im a big fan of the draft class overall. Glad to see protecting our franchise QB was taken seriously. Probably would have traded up to guarantee Dillard tho. Only question mark with Dillard is can he stick his hand in the dirt and run block.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Im a big fan of the draft class overall. Glad to see protecting our franchise QB was taken seriously. Probably would have traded up to guarantee Dillard tho. Only question mark with Dillard is can he stick his hand in the dirt and run block.
Bet he will for millions of dollars :money:

In light of the Gaine firing, I think that this question is a really interesting one now.

Obviously the boss thought that Gaine failed at the draft. This is what I would've done.

1st round - trade with RAVENS for #22 - (Ravens get #23 and #86)

#22 - select - Andre Dillard - LT (best pass-blocking LT in draft)

2nd round

#54 - select - David Long - CB (top 3 cover-corner in draft IMO)

#55 - trade with CHIEFS for #61 & #167

#61 - trade with RAMS for #94 & #99

3rd round

#94 - trade with Bengals for #110 & #183

#99 - trade with Colts for #129 & #135

4th round

#110 - trade with Falcons for #117 & #186

#117 - select - Hjalte Froholdt - C/G (future starter at C or G)

#129 - select - Foster Moreau - TE (best blocking TE in draft, athletic potential to become weapon receiving as well)

#135 - select - Justin Hollins - OLB (Just needs a bit more bulk before he can start, athletic freak)

5th round

#161 - select - Charles Omenihu - DE (Perfect body for 3-4 DE, better pass-rush than people give him credit for)

#167 - select - Trayveon Williams - RB (He can run and catch, instant upgrade over Foreman

6th round

#183 - select - Drew Forbes - RT/G (Good feet, might be best at guard)

#186 - select - Olisaemeka Udoh - RT (Prototype project OT, big, long, athletic, just needs to be taught the game)

#195 - select - Kelvin Harmon - WR (Best hands in the draft)

7th round

#220 - select - Jordan Brown - CB (Has all the tools to be a starter, just needs to reach his potential)

ALL trades were deals that happened in the real 2019 draft. but with teams that drafted after us, so we easily could've made all of these deals.

#55 deal was #56 in real draft

#61 deal was #70 in real draft

#94 deal was #104 in real draft

#99 deal was #109 in real draft

#110 deal was #111 in real draft

and the trade up for Dillard was a known option

We had a lot of needs going into this draft since Free Agency was mainly a bust...so trading for more picks was needed. The good teams aren't afraid to trade up and down.

UDFA priority targets -

Porter Gustin - OLB

Andrew Beck - TE

Kyle Phillips - DE

Darius West - S

Ross Reynolds - OG

Mark Fields - CB

Jazz Ferguson - WR

Ashton Dulin - WR

Alex Barnes - RB

Dominick Bragalone - FB

Yosuah Nijman - LT - maybe the best athlete per size, but really bad technique at the moment

I'd sign up as many extra O-linemen with good athleticism as possible, someone is gonna hit, not sure why we didn't bring in more UDFA lineman

DJ Coker - OL

Brian Fineanganofo - RT

Ryan Crozier - OL

Mitch Hyatt - LT

Brandon Hitner - RT

Ryan Bates - OG

Calvin Anderson - OL

Pharaohcious

Waterboy
We should've traded up with either TB or NYG to grab Josh Allen before he fell to Jags!

With TB i'd have tried to deal them McKinney or Mercilus... We're already leaning towards
using Mercilus as a DE anyways and McKinney contract I feel is just hurting the team vs his production.

With NYG tbh... and I know i'd catch a lot of heat for this but... I'd have dealt them my 1st, 3rd and JJ Watt for Saquon and 1st
ONLY asking for the RB since I knew their GM was trying to ruin that franchise.

But here's a little about how my draft would've went.