Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Cal McNair

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I really like Gannon, but, and I may be wrong, I'm not sure. It is much harder to be a great OC than a great DC. I would rather the head coach be an offensive coach because their philosophy still stays if their OC leaves. You hire a defensive coach and their OC leaves then you have to find another OC and possibly and entire new offensive scheme.
Agreed, but I'm sure that Gannon would either know another disciple from the Reich/Philly tree or promote a guy like Johnson from within.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I have to believe the nfl world is a lot like the regular corporate world. Some coaches are really good at gobbling up all the accolades and taking credit for everything positive ,and distancing themselves from everything negative. There's some salesmanship there.

I don't want the guy who took credit.

I want the guy who orchestrated what worked.

I hope our hiring process is detailed enough to determine the difference.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I have to believe the nfl world is a lot like the regular corporate world. Some coaches are really good at gobbling up all the accolades and taking credit for everything positive ,and distancing themselves from everything negative. There's some salesmanship there.

I don't want the guy who took credit.

I want the guy who orchestrated what worked.

I hope our hiring process is detailed enough to determine the difference.
When it comes to Philly both the OC/DC are guys that have done the work. Gannon runs the defense, Siriani is an offensive guy. Steichen helped Hurts improve throwing with accuracy and anticipation more than I ever thought he could. Both of these guys have done the heavy lifting.

Last edited:

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
After watching the entire introductory press conference for DeMeco Ryans, I'm glad to admit that the McNairs finally made a decision that I can get behind 100%.

If they can get out of his way, I feel confident that Ryans will build this organization into a winner. I like everything about DeMeco after watching him talk. Dude just feels like the real deal.

So congrats, Cal, for starting off 2023 with a decision that can instill hope into a fanbase and actually give us something to look forward to this year.

It's the first time I've wanted to post this in a long, long time: :texan:

BattleRedBlud

Blue Steel Pose. No Excuses!
What makes you say this?

What's he done?
Something his father did not do well.
Cal (with the help of Hannah) is connecting with his fan base. No, not all of them, because clearly you still don't care for the man. However, a lot of us can see he is working to overcome his public speaking deficiencies. He has polled the fans on uniform's colors. He has hired the "fan-favorite" HC in Demeco Ryans. He give his blessing to spend draft capitol to trade up and select TWO fan favorite athletes in Stroud and Anderson.

Will all this translate to wins on the field? Who knows, but Cal is trying and deserves credit for that. He may become a good owner yet. People dislike the man because he was handed a fortune and an NFL team and assume he is a bumbling fool. However he came into his fortune and whatever kind of person he may be, it is evident he cares about the product and is putting effort into himself and into the team.

As @TexansBull so perfectly stated. Cal has sold a million brake pads. He may save this franchise yet.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Something his father did not do well.
Cal (with the help of Hannah) is connecting with his fan base. No, not all of them, because clearly you still don't care for the man. However, a lot of us can see he is working to overcome his public speaking deficiencies. He has polled the fans on uniform's colors. He has hired the "fan-favorite" HC in Demeco Ryans. He give his blessing to spend draft capitol to trade up and select TWO fan favorite athletes in Stroud and Anderson.

Will all this translate to wins on the field? Who knows, but Cal is trying and deserves credit for that. He may become a good owner yet. People dislike the man because he was handed a fortune and an NFL team and assume he is a bumbling fool. However he came into his fortune and whatever kind of person he may be, it is evident he cares about the product and is putting effort into himself and into the team.

As @TexansBull so perfectly stated. Cal has sold a million brake pads. He may save this franchise yet.
So changing jersey's so he can sell new merchandise is connecting with the fans? Drafting a QB that has never won a damned thing in his life is what some fans wanted so that's connecting with the fans? Nope, that's marketing 101 which is the world Hannah comes from, so I'm really not surprised by any of this. Believe it or not, I dont dislike what Cal's all about, I just have chosen not to kid myself and realize what he's all about and that ain't winning championships. He's following in his fathers footsteps.

Are you sure he's not selling a million bottles of snake oil instead of brake pads?

House of Pain

Wild Speculator
I know it’s cool to dunk on Cal, but I have to agree…at least he’s trying.

Do I cringe sometimes when he says stuff? Yes.

Do I know he’s fed lines and told to do things to try to ingratiate to the fan base and city? Of course.

I’d much rather he try to win the fans back by making moves to improve the experience and the product on the field, than to sit in the owners box and pretend everything is fine. Cal should be held accountable like any other NFL owner that has been putting a subpar product on the field but he should be given a chance to put his people in charge and let them execute. At this moment, I don’t think he could be doing anything else to improve the team. Just my opinion.

BattleRedBlud

Blue Steel Pose. No Excuses!
So changing jersey's so he can sell new merchandise is connecting with the fans? Drafting a QB that has never won a damned thing in his life is what some fans wanted so that's connecting with the fans? Nope, that's marketing 101 which is the world Hannah comes from, so I'm really not surprised by any of this. Believe it or not, I dont dislike what Cal's all about, I just have chosen not to kid myself and realize what he's all about and that ain't winning championships. He's following in his fathers footsteps.

Are you sure he's not selling a million bottles of snake oil instead of brake pads?
To put it plainly. YES!
I am excited about the new colors.
I am excited to see the new (consensus top 2 QB) from the draft on the field.
I am excited to see Anderson wreck opposing offenses.
I am excited at the new direction my favorite football team is headed.
And guess what? I am not alone.
So yes. He is connecting with the FANS.
Anti-fans...not so much. As evident in the constant tears.

Good day sir. I will not be responding to you again as I've been told by another member on another post that it is my fault that you spread your anti-Texans drama on multiple topics because I am dumb enough to take the bait. So I will excuse myself from the back and forth with you and let you enjoy your victory, while I go back to enjoying rooting for this team.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
To put it plainly. YES!
I am excited about the new colors.
I am excited to see the new (consensus top 2 QB) from the draft on the field.
I am excited to see Anderson wreck opposing offenses.
I am excited at the new direction my favorite football team is headed.
And guess what? I am not alone.
So yes. He is connecting with the FANS.
Anti-fans...not so much. As evident in the constant tears.

Good day sir. I will not be responding to you again as I've been told by another member on another post that it is my fault that you spread your anti-Texans drama on multiple topics because I am dumb enough to take the bait. So I will excuse myself from the back and forth with you and let you enjoy your victory, while I go back to enjoying rooting for this team.
Wow

Feelings are raw up in here.

I guess differing opinions will not be tolerated by some.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch

Do I know he’s fed lines and told to do things to try to ingratiate to the fan base and city? Of course.

I’d much rather he try to win the fans back by making moves to improve the experience and the product on the field, than to sit in the owners box and pretend everything is fine. Cal should be held accountable like any other NFL owner that has been putting a subpar product on the field but he should be given a chance to put his people in charge and let them execute. At this moment, I don’t think he could be doing anything else to improve the team. Just my opinion.

I feel like he has done just that. ^
I believe Casserio and DeMeco made the choice to draft Stroud.

Several posters saying a lot about Cal and wife dictating moves. I don't believe that is fact today.

:coffee:

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

The last few years or so have been a wake up call for the owners - the declining sales and season ticket holders jumping off ship showed them this boat won't sail on auto pilot forever - it needs to be managed properly and this past off-season shows me they acknowledge that and have taken some swings to try to get it back on course.
Just because they don't do what we think should be done does not mean they have no idea, etc, etc,.
Just a thought for the critics - prove that your particular notions work.

House of Pain

Wild Speculator
I feel like he has done just that. ^
I believe Casserio and DeMeco made the choice to draft Stroud.

Several posters saying a lot about Cal and wife dictating moves. I don't believe that is fact today.

:coffee:
I love to hear the media say “There are no leaks in the Texans organization, so we don’t know what they’re doing. But I’m hearing that…”
Well, what is it? Seems like people are speculating on how things are running when it appears that Demeco and Caserio are making the personnel decisions and Cal and Hannah are letting them operate.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
People learn from their mistakes all the time. True story. :thinking:

My take as a fan is the McNairs have learned from their mistakes and have adapted a new paradigm shift to let the football minds make football decisions.

Nick and DeMeco appear to be in control now, so you either trust them or you don't. As a fan, I want something to look forward, to have hope, to enjoy the ride. So my choice is to just let the past be water under the bridge and look ahead.

Regurgitating past mistakes to the point where this is no longer entertaining just seems like a waste of time. I'd find something better to do if my entertainment made me a miserable person to be around.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Some of y'all think this MB is representative of Texans fans. Nothing further from the truth. You can decide whether that is an insult or compliment to the Texans fan base.
It's representative of dedicated fans. Most "Texans fans" are fairweather fans. Most bailed on this franchise a long time ago. They'll be back when the team improves and consistently wins. That's Houston sports in a nutshell.

What is left are the ones that follow the franchise for better or for worse. What's left are the mentally questionable ones, and I do resemble that remark. lol :joker:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Most "Houston fans" are fairweather fans. Most bailed on this franchise a long time ago. They'll be back when the team improves and consistently wins. That's Houston sports in a nutshell.
FIFY but Yep! In the last few years of the Oilers time here, when they were sucking in the early nineties, blackouts were prevalent, often saved by the local tv affiliate buying up enough seats to televise the game. I lived in Pasadena at the time and could go to the walk up ticket counter 30 min before the game and get damn good seats. Astros games were most always played in a damn near empty dome.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
FIFY but Yep! In the last few years of the Oilers time here, when they were sucking in the early nineties, blackouts were prevalent, often saved by the local tv affiliate buying up enough seats to televise the game. I lived in Pasadena at the time and could go to the walk up ticket counter 30 min before the game and get damn good seats. Astros games were most always played in a damn near empty dome.
I absolutely hated that blackout rule as a kid. I was so into the Oilers, and would get so upset when we couldn't watch them because of it.

Kids today don't know the struggle! Get off my lawn! :challenge

People learn from their mistakes all the time. True story. :thinking:

My take as a fan is the McNairs have learned from their mistakes and have adapted a new paradigm shift to let the football minds make football decisions.

Nick and DeMeco appear to be in control now, so you either trust them or you don't. As a fan, I want something to look forward, to have hope, to enjoy the ride. So my choice is to just let the past be water under the bridge and look ahead.

Regurgitating past mistakes to the point where this is no longer entertaining just seems like a waste of time. I'd find something better to do if my entertainment made me a miserable person to be around.
Some of y'all think this MB is representative of Texans fans. Nothing further from the truth. You can decide whether that is an insult or compliment to the Texans fan base.

How many of us here own a billion-dollar sports team / franchise...?
How many of us here have coached / managed and professional football team's roster... ?
How many of us are invested for the simple fact that this is our team / our city / our "ownership" -- or you live in this city and adopted the team, invested in the team-- therefore get to fantasize a decision-making role within a professional sports franchise...?

#noshade #talkingpoints

Texazan

Our HOF 34
I absolutely hated that blackout rule as a kid. I was so into the Oilers, and would get so upset when we couldn't watch them because of it.

Kids today don't know the struggle! Get off my lawn! :challenge
My old mans job meant we had to leave Houston in 79' for Dallas which there we got all the Oiler games unless it clashed with DAL otherwise saw all the games and boy were we bad for the next 10 years. Kinda wish they were blacked out.......

mws

Rookie
One thing the blackouts did was get me used to listening to the Oilers on the radio. For years (especially when Bum was broadcasting) when everything was over the air & radio synced up with the plays on the field I muted the sound & listened to Bum & the boys calling the game. It made for a pleasant game day experience.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The last few years or so have been a wake up call for the owners - the declining sales and season ticket holders jumping off ship showed them this boat won't sail on auto pilot forever - it needs to be managed properly and this past off-season shows me they acknowledge that and have taken some swings to try to get it back on course.
Just because they don't do what we think should be done does not mean they have no idea, etc, etc,.
Just a thought for the critics - prove that your particular notions work.
They're doing exactly what Bob McNair did.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
How many of us here own a billion-dollar sports team / franchise...?
How many of us here have coached / managed and professional football team's roster... ?
How many of us are invested for the simple fact that this is our team / our city / our "ownership" -- or you live in this city and adopted the team, invested in the team-- therefore get to fantasize a decision-making role within a professional sports franchise...?

#noshade #talkingpoints
My daddy couldn't afford to put me through college, so no, he couldn't afford to buy me an NFL franchise.

I've never worked for an NFL org.

I've invested well over 6 figures over the last 2 decades on the McNair's and their profiteering. Yes, that makes me a dumb azz.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It's representative of dedicated fans. Most "Texans fans" are fairweather fans. Most bailed on this franchise a long time ago. They'll be back when the team improves and consistently wins. That's Houston sports in a nutshell.

What is left are the ones that follow the franchise for better or for worse. What's left are the mentally questionable ones, and I do resemble that remark. lol :joker:
Yep, I'm not going to give the McNair's another dime and will still root for the team although we've seen this act from the McNair's before.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I love to hear the media say “There are no leaks in the Texans organization, so we don’t know what they’re doing. But I’m hearing that…”
Well, what is it? Seems like people are speculating on how things are running when it appears that Demeco and Caserio are making the personnel decisions and Cal and Hannah are letting them operate.
You better believe Cal wanted a QB at 1-2 and Ryans/Caserio had to settle for Stroud at 1-2.

How do I know this? Because they were telling all of the HC candidates they were going to pick a QB at 1-2.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
This is common knowledge check the interwebs..

BTW, in a Cal McNair thread the best way to describe him is

PROFITEER, he learned well from his daddy, which sux.

Maybe Stroud will have a Moon type career and the team will end up moving AGAIN.
You're really going out there now. It would be easier on you if you were to move

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You're really going out there now. It would be easier on you if you were to move
Life is good for me right now, No need to move, had 119 people at the crawfish boil and had a great time with all.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I’d have picked Levis
I wouldn't have picked a QB in the 1st rd. Probably not the 2nd either. What I'm going to find interesting is which of the QB's in the AFC South is going to be the best QB. Do you want to make a bet that the best QB in the AFC South wont be Stroud?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I wouldn't have picked a QB in the 1st rd. Probably not the 2nd either. What I'm going to find interesting is which of the QB's in the AFC South is going to be the best QB. Do you want to make a bet that the best QB in the AFC South wont be Stroud?
I already said Levis will have the best career.

but if it’s true Cal demanded a QB doesn’t mean Caserio was “stuck” with Stroud.