Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Cal McNair...

Mangler

Toro de España
Well, well...

Gotta hand it to Cal. Didn’t see the firing of Brian Gaine coming at all! Not saying I agree with the firing, as I thought Gaine’s 1st draft as GM was better than anything Rick has done (outside of the 1st round) and we didn’t even get a chance to see the results of this class. I also don’t disagree because I didn't think we improved the roster via FA.

On one hand, I’m glad Cal is nothing like Bob and just letting sh1t ride when it’s obvious it ain’t working and going nowhere fast, but on the other hand I’m left scratching my head because Butt Chin is STILL head coach. Seriously, WTF Cal?! If you’re going to do something don’t half ass it! O’Brien should have bounced with Gaine, and let the new GM hire the coach he sees fit to get us to the promise land. O’Brien is what he is, and his non scheme/game plan per opponent bullsh1t has ran its course.

Cal should have fired the whole gang! (Gaine, Butt Chin, and Devlin.) I think the wrong guy was fired, and if Ass Jaw is given any more power than he obviously has, this organization is going down in flames. We’re talking a 5-10 year setback!

Last edited:

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
Well, well...

Gotta hand it to Cal. Didn’t see the firing of Brian Gaine coming at all! Or saying I agree with the firing, as I thought Gaine’s 1st draft as GM was better than anything Rick has done (outside of the 1st round) and we didn’t even get a chance to see the results of this class. I also don’t disagree because I didn't think we improved the roster via FA.

On one hand, I’m glad Cal is nothing like Bob and just letting sh1t ride when it’s obvious it ain’t working and going nowhere fast, but on the other hand I’m left scratching my head because Butt Chin is STILL head coach. Seriously, WTF Cal?! If you’re going to do something don’t half ass it! O’Brien should have bounced with Gaine, and let the new GM hire the coach he sees fit to get us to the promise land. O’Brien is what he is, and his non scheme/game plan per opponent bullsh1t has ran its course.

Cal should have fired the whole gang! (Gaine, Butt Chin, and Devlin.) I think the wrong guy was fired, and if Ass Jaw is given any more power than he obviously has, this organization is going down in flames. We’re talking a 5-10 year setback!
It's easier to fire a G.M. after the draft than fire a Head Coach in the middle of OTAs and training camp.. Especially when you now don't even have a G.M.

However, I think Bill now knows he's on a extremely short leash. He better produce out of the gate, because I'm not sure he can even survive one of his annual slow starts. If he has one of those he might be fired in season.

Mangler

Toro de España
It's easier to fire a G.M. after the draft than fire a Head Coach in the middle of OTAs and training camp.. Especially when you now don't even have a G.M.

However, I think Bill now knows he's on a extremely short leash. He better produce out of the gate, because I'm not sure he can even survive one of his annual slow starts. If he has one of those he might be fired in season.
Well, his ass may be gone come week four. (Here’s hoping) If last year we went 0-3 with an easier schedule, I don’t see him having the team ready at all for this schedule given his track record.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

NFL = Not For Long... Jerry Glanville

281Texan

Waterboy
Well, well...

Gotta hand it to Cal. Didn’t see the firing of Brian Gaine coming at all! Or saying I agree with the firing, as I thought Gaine’s 1st draft as GM was better than anything Rick has done (outside of the 1st round) and we didn’t even get a chance to see the results of this class. I also don’t disagree because I didn't think we improved the roster via FA.

I want OB gone now, but if we brought in a new coaching regime now, we’d get deshaun hurt. Not enough time for a coach to evaluate what he has or for our team to learn new a new playbook(s). If he goes 0-3 though, I’m fine with letting him go and having Crennel finish out the season

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
NFL = Not For Long... Jerry Glanville
Yep, but that only applied to the other 31 teams until now. As long as I can remember we've always kept people longer than we should've. Gaine is the first guy I can remember where his firing caught me off guard/premature. That's why I want to know wtf really happened.. Our local media sucks and since the national media doesn't really care about our team, we'll probably never know what really happened.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Well, well...

One move to fire a GM does not suggest that Cal is different than his father. The only thing that it suggests is that he seems way in over his head just like his father was most of the time. Who the hell fires their GM right before training camp during OTA's? He didn't think that he might want to replace Gaine you before FA period hit or the draft? Look at the strange situation this new GM has to walk into now especially with OB. How many guys want to take a GM job in the middle of that? I suspect that certain guys the Texans may want may lack interest over things like that. The Texans may have to just get a one year rental GM until the find the proper fit over the off season.

Its great to see Gaine out of here, but Cal has done nothing to get himself celebrated. He looks like a total clown in this.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
https://www.houstontexans.com/news/statement-from-houston-texans-chairman-and-ceo-cal-mcnair-on-brian-gaine

The be a man and face the music part of me wishes this was announced after the Texans mandatory mini-camp on Tuesday with a Cal McNair question and answer session. Not that he won't make a public appearance, but the late Friday afternoon press release is still weak sauce.
The ol' Friday media dump into the weekend media cycle routine.. I hate it too.

Max

Veteran
I'm not sure what can be read into Cal's decision to fire Gaine other than he wanted to make a statement that he's running the show now. He could settle in and run things much the same way his dad did from here for all we know. He could also be an impulsive maniac that drops the hammer on GMs and coaches on a whim. Or anything in between. I want to be optimistic that he's demonstrating that he doesn't have the patience of Job like his dad but it seems too early to celebrate anything until we get a better sense of how he's going to operate.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Exactly. The circumstances in this is terrible. Who wants to come and work for Cal right now as GM or future HC?
Unless Gaine did something that gave Call no choice but to fire Gaine.

I don't believe for a minute the statement Call had put out for him by the PR Dept.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This is purely a fan thing. There are 32 HC & GM spots. At any given time a handful are open. People clamor for them.

Buy an "are" while your at it.
Is this a fact or an Opinion?

Ceasario has turned down GM jobs before.

Mangler

Toro de España
Hopefully Ceasario comes. He was my 1st choice before the Gaine hire.

He's turned down gm jobs before.
I just don’t see why he’d turn the GM job here. Same system as NE, he knows butt chin, he can bring the rest of the NE personnel guys and he’s set with a young franchise QB. Brady realistically has, what, another 2.5 to 3 years (tops) left in him? It’s kinda worrisome that Cesario hasn’t even taken a flight to Houston since Gaine was let go. Maybe they’re not trusting butt chin’s old buddies anymore. I don’t blame Cal one bit if that’s the case! I say OB is next on the lay off list if they bring in the guy from the Falcons, or anyone with zero NE ties. I guess Cal didn’t have no “handshake agreement” with anyone before firing Gaine...

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I just don’t see why he’d turn the GM job here. Same system as NE, he knows butt chin, he can bring the rest of the NE personnel guys and he’s set with a young franchise QB. Brady realistically has, what, another 2.5 to 3 years (tops) left in him? It’s kinda worrisome that Cesario hasn’t even taken a flight to Houston since Gaine was let go. Maybe they’re not trusting butt chin’s old buddies anymore. I don’t blame Cal one bit if that’s the case! I say OB is next on the lay off list if they bring in the guy from the Falcons, or anyone with zero NE ties. I guess Cal didn’t have no “handshake agreement” with anyone before firing Gaine...
Which really makes me wonder what Gaine did wrong.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Which is your opinion... and you know what they say about opinions
See my post below.

I'm just saying it's out there if you want to look it up.

BTW, I think Ceasario will be the next GM of the Texans.

I also believe that Cal/BOB wanted Ceasario when they hired Gaine but were overruled. I cant prove any of this, but it would make sense why Gaine was let go and yes, this is my opinion.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It's Caserio and there were no opinions in what you quoted.
GM's do turn down jobs.

DeCosta, check out his history.

Caserio turned down the Dolphins according to Braddock.

You know who you have alot in common with personality wise? Bill O'Brien

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
What did I say? Oh yeah, those who haven't been told they are the GM in waiting.

Don't even know what the last means. I've seen nothing to indicate OB demands facts.

281Texan

Waterboy
Exactly. The circumstances in this is terrible. Who wants to come and work for Cal right now as GM or future HC?
You come into a team with a franchise QB (who is a legitimate MVP candidate) a rookie deal, a top 5 defense, a good stable of offensive weapons, and a boat load of cap space...trust me, there are a lot worse situations that people eagerly jump into. I’d go as far as to say this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. In speaking to terms of a GM, the hard part is done. You have your QB for the next 10+ years. All you need to do is find the right guy to bring the talent together, and use all the money and assets you have to improve the team.

From a coaching standpoint, you have a great group of talent. All you have to do is put it together.

This is a dream job.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
You come into a team with a franchise QB (who is a legitimate MVP candidate) a rookie deal, a top 5 defense, a good stable of offensive weapons, and a boat load of cap space...trust me, there are a lot worse situations that people eagerly jump into. I’d go as far as to say this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. In speaking to terms of a GM, the hard part is done. You have your QB for the next 10+ years. All you need to do is find the right guy to bring the talent together, and use all the money and assets you have to improve the team.

From a coaching standpoint, you have a great group of talent. All you have to do is put it together.

This is a dream job.
You’re talking like it was BoB that got fired, news flash chief, we aren’t looking for a new HC we are looking for a new GM.

Not sure where this “find the right guy to bring the talent together” stuff is coming from. As of right now Cal at least seems to think they have the right guy. So now as a GM you are coming onto a team where the coach had confirmed issues with one GM and then alleged issues with the next GM, who was his hand picked guy, yet is still there. Add to all that your predecessor only had one draft with all his high picks and yeah this is looking like a set up to fail.

I’m hoping all this was done because they already have the next one picked and Gaine was just wrong place, wrong time. If this was Cal just getting pissed or just proving he’s not his dad I’m really worried we have Jerry Jones 2.0

281Texan

Waterboy
Also
You’re talking like it was BoB that got fired, news flash chief, we aren’t looking for a new HC we are looking for a new GM.

Not sure where this “find the right guy to bring the talent together” stuff is coming from. As of right now Cal at least seems to think they have the right guy. So now as a GM you are coming onto a team where the coach had confirmed issues with one GM and then alleged issues with the next GM, who was his hand picked guy, yet is still there. Add to all that your predecessor only had one draft with all his high picks and yeah this is looking like a set up to fail.

I’m hoping all this was done because they already have the next one picked and Gaine was just wrong place, wrong time. If this was Cal just getting pissed or just proving he’s not his dad I’m really worried we have Jerry Jones 2.0
Thanks, chief, I realize OB is still our head coach. But it would be highly, highly, ignorant of us to say that his standing in the organization is solid. He has to have a great year to remain head coach, and I mean a great year. And if you’re getting a guy like Caserio, he’s going to want to bring in his own guy or he won’t come here. Plain and simple.

My whole point is if you’re going to join a team, would you rather join a team in a great city, with a young, championship caliber roster? Or would you rather go to a place that’s going to take 3+ years to get to the point we’re at, and you hope and pray management will be patient through the losing?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Also

Thanks, chief, I realize OB is still our head coach. But it would be highly, highly, ignorant of us to say that his standing in the organization is solid. He has to have a great year to remain head coach, and I mean a great year. And if you’re getting a guy like Caserio, he’s going to want to bring in his own guy or he won’t come here. Plain and simple.

My whole point is if you’re going to join a team, would you rather join a team in a great city, with a young, championship caliber roster? Or would you rather go to a place that’s going to take 3+ years to get to the point we’re at, and you hope and pray management will be patient through the losing?
No what's ignorant is to make claims as though we have any idea what Cal and the Texans are thinking. If anything this shows us we don't. Not sure where in the real world you have seen any sign that BoB is on the hot seat. That's just you hoping he is.

As far as joining a team if I'm the GM yeah, I want to build my team not babysit the team the last, in our case, two GMs built. Most owners realize that when you bring a new GM in they have to have time to fix whatever reason you brought them in for.

The fact that as of right now Cal doesn't seem to understand that is what scares the hell out of me. I'm just hoping and praying this was done because they already have the next guy lined up.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
No what's ignorant is to make claims as though we have any idea what Cal and the Texans are thinking. If anything this shows us we don't. Not sure where in the real world you have seen any sign that BoB is on the hot seat. That's just you hoping he is.

As far as joining a team if I'm the GM yeah, I want to build my team not babysit the team the last, in our case, two GMs built. Most owners realize that when you bring a new GM in they have to have time to fix whatever reason you brought them in for.

The fact that as of right now Cal doesn't seem to understand that is what scares the hell out of me. I'm just hoping and praying this was done because they already have the next guy lined up.

Very shortsighted if he didn't. Not at all impressed with the two interviewees' so far.

I understand your trepidation, but I'm not jumping to any conclusions on Cal.

I always give "benefit of the doubt", until there is no doubt.

:coffee:

Texas Jake

Rookie
The only thing we know about what Cal is going to do is that we don't know.

Firing Gaine shows us he is willing to make sudden, unexpected changes, how that affects BOB is unknown. I believe it demonstrated that if he loses confidence in BOB that he will be gone; it does not give us any indication of what it will take to get to that point or when it may occur.

Dakota

Ticketbooth Attendant
Hey guys, Cal M here.

I know you're surprised by this move, given the overall accuracy of this board's draft choices this year vs reality. It's hard to believe that a bunch of millionaire and billionaire businessmen who do this for a living, are surrounded by professionals who do this for a living, and who have access to an unlimited amount of resources and information that the public is not privy to would make such a move without first consulting the cumulative knowledge that is our fanbase. We just feel Nick Caserio is that last puzzle piece we were missing to finally emulate the team that has dominated our conference for over a decade now, and we feel like there's no better time to make such a move than right before OTA's. I also want you all to be the first to know I will be changing our name to the Patrexans, but rest assure no change will be required to our uniform's color scheme.

Thanks to all of you for continually selling out every home game regardless of the amount of hot air accumulating on these forums, and GO TEXANS!

Mangler

Toro de España
Hey guys, Cal M here.

I know you're surprised by this move, given the overall accuracy of this board's draft choices this year vs reality. It's hard to believe that a bunch of millionaire and billionaire businessmen who do this for a living, are surrounded by professionals who do this for a living, and who have access to an unlimited amount of resources and information that the public is not privy to would make such a move without first consulting the cumulative knowledge that is our fanbase. We just feel Nick Caserio is that last puzzle piece we were missing to finally emulate the team that has dominated our conference for over a decade now, and we feel like there's no better time to make such a move than right before OTA's. I also want you all to be the first to know I will be changing our name to the Patrexans, but rest assure no change will be required to our uniform's color scheme.

Thanks to all of you for continually selling out every home game regardless of the amount of hot air accumulating on these forums, and GO TEXANS!
Hi, Cal.

Just want you to know that your mustache makes you look like a child molester. Get with the times...

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Hey guys, Cal M here.

Cal
Just the fact that you seem ready to shell out / share the family fortune has made at least one of our posters very happy. :)

:coffee:

Dakota

Ticketbooth Attendant
Hi, Cal.

Just want you to know that your mustache makes you look like a child molester. Get with the times...
Hi Mangler, Cal M again...

I know I should be busy with interviews and running day-to-day operations, but I cant just have one of my franchise's fans disrespect my cat brush that way. Please apologize at your earliest convenience.