Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Brock Osweiler agrees to 4 year 72 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really can't see how BOB can give Hoyer another go after he crapped the bed as badly as he did in the playoffs. I think him getting trotted back out for the 2nd half WAS his chance, basically BOB's way of saying, "OK you dug this hole for the entire team, but I am going to give you this one chance to see if you can dig yourself out of it or at least give me a reason of why I shouldn't kick you to the curb right now, you mediocre sonuva..."

I really can't see how BOB can give Hoyer another go after he crapped the bed as badly as he did in the playoffs. I think him getting trotted back out for the 2nd half WAS his chance, basically BOB's way of saying, "OK you dug this hole for the entire team, but I am going to give you this one chance to see if you can dig yourself out of it or at least give me a reason of why I shouldn't kick you to the curb right now, you mediocre sonuva..."
Perhaps. But the fact that he still sees Hoyer as the #2 and not trade bait worries the hell out of me.

Perhaps. But the fact that he still sees Hoyer as the #2 and not trade bait worries the hell out of me.

I take it at face value. I mean honestly, what else can he say? If we publicly say he sucks and we want to trade him, his trade value tanks, assuming that its not at rock bottom. If we someone do end up having to keep him, saying anything else would potentially cause locker room issues. Savage also seems to have trouble staying on the field, so being forced to keep Hoyer as backup just in case is a real possibility.

Personally, I feel like the writing is on the wall and everyone knows it. It's just one of those things that no one wants to talk about and is simply waiting for it to happen. You don't publicly gossip about the dead man walking if you are the coaching staff or front office, at least not the professional ones. I believe we are just waiting to see if we can get ANYTHING out of him before waiving him. Hell, even a bag of chips would do at this point.

You have a point but why say Hoyer's the #2 and not Savage? Or why name anyone to any spot this early in the year?
Why not give the typical Belichick-type answer, "we're getting ready for the draft right now and will evaluate the depth chart after that's over." Like you said, everyone knows, so why SAY anything??
Unless what "everyone knows" isn't true in his head.

Last edited:
He is getting paid to being the starting QB. Not sit on the sidelines with $72M to spend. Brian Hoyer will have to hold a clip board.

You have a point why say Hoyer's the #2 and not Savage? Or why name anyone to any spot this early in the year?
Why not give the typical Belichick-type answer, "we're getting ready for the draft right now and will evaluate the depth chart after that's over." Like you said, everyone knows, so why SAY anything??

Again, it is called "not tanking value". Why shoot yourself in the foot and declare a clear lack of confidence? Saying he is #2 establishes a clear value as a backup. This means, even if it's just lip service, the Texans are proclaiming to other teams that they still value Hoyer as a legit backup, which honestly speaking, he really is. Saying we don't know or that he is #3, establishes that we consider him comparable if not worse to the oft injured Savage. Everyone knows that outside of severely screwing the pooch or getting hurt, Os is our guy. That's why we gave him big money. He is our QB, at least for the next 2 years. Now whether or not Oz will be great, who the hell knows? There is a reason games are played. Unlike the poorer elements of our fan base, I prefer to remain positive and hope for the best until Os proves otherwise. My primary concern will be whether or not our D can pick up where they left off as well as how are very new O-Line will mesh and how quickly. A decent O-Line and a D that can limit opposing teams to under 20 points and an O-Line that can consistently provide breathing room will do wonders for his development.

You have a point why say Hoyer's the #2 and not Savage? Or why name anyone to any spot this early in the year?

He also said that Savage was going to be competing for the #2 spot.

As far as I'm concerned, he has to say that we're going to be fine with Hoyer as our #2 in order to boost his value. That's not saying that Hoyer WON'T be our #2, but even if they had every intention of cutting him, I'd still expect them to say the same thing.

Again, it is called "not tanking value". Why shoot yourself in the foot and declare a clear lack of confidence? Saying he is #2 establishes a clear value as a backup. This means, even if it's just lip service, the Texans are proclaiming to other teams that they still value Hoyer as a legit backup, which honestly speaking, he really is. Saying we don't know or that he is #3, establishes that we consider him comparable if not worse to the oft injured Savage. Everyone knows that outside of severely screwing the pooch or getting hurt, Os is our guy. That's why we gave him big money. He is our QB, at least for the next 2 years. Now whether or not Oz will be great, who the hell knows? There is a reason games are played. Unlike the poorer elements of our fan base, I prefer to remain positive and hope for the best until Os proves otherwise. My primary concern will be whether or not our D can pick up where they left off as well as how are very new O-Line will mesh and how quickly. A decent O-Line and a D that can limit opposing teams to under 20 points and an O-Line that can consistently provide breathing room will do wonders for his development.

I agree with all your points in these last two posts of yours on this thread. Holding teams to under 20 would be a top 10 defense and I worry that we aren't this year with our schedule. We are division champs and a tougher schedule comes with that, we still need a starting safety and we need someone to cover as a linebacker. These top teams like Pittsburgh and New England will be difficult to defend with our current roster. New England just signed Martellus Bennett to pair with Gronk, I have no idea how we'd defend that combination right now.

Charley Casserly ‏@CharleyCasserly 4m4 minutes ago Virginia, USA

I think Paxton Lynch is a better QB coming out of college than #Texans 18.0 man Brock Osewieler @nflnetwork

He also thought "David Carr or Julius Peppers" and we know how that turned out.

Does it really matter what these folks say about one player or another (other than to keep fans interested in the off season)? It doesn't seem to matter which draft/NFL analyst it is they seem to have about the same success rate as a 1970's weatherman. (No offense to 1970's weathermen way to rock those pants).

I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find a "paid expert" to back just about whatever opinion you have of a prospect or a deal. Casserly and others are good for one thing, sparking debate. They pick who they like, build a story around it, collect paycheck.

Yep. I rather OB draft a second or third round qb than to see Hoyer again this year.

The only way I'll accept Hoyer working for the Texans is if he is the one bringing JJ Watt the gatorade.
:D

I agree with all your points in these last two posts of yours on this thread. Holding teams to under 20 would be a top 10 defense and I worry that we aren't this year with our schedule. We are division champs and a tougher schedule comes with that, we still need a starting safety and we need someone to cover as a linebacker. These top teams like Pittsburgh and New England will be difficult to defend with our current roster. New England just signed Martellus Bennett to pair with Gronk, I have no idea how we'd defend that combination right now.

I think this "tougher schedule" thing is vastly over-rated. The difference between the schedules of the 1st place and 4th place teams in a division are only 2 games, and those 2 games aren't games we're necessarily going to lose or that the teams in our division are necessarily going to win.

Last year, the difference between the Titans, Jags, Colts, and Texans, was that we each played a different team from the AFC West and the AFC North. The Texans, Jags, and Colts all went 1-1 in those games, and the Titans went 0-2. We were playing a "second place" schedule and had to play the Bengals from the AFC North while the Colts got the Steelers.

Now, we may play a tougher schedule than last year, but the fact that we were division champs isn't really much of a factor in that.

I think this "tougher schedule" thing is vastly over-rated. The difference between the schedules of the 1st place and 4th place teams in a division are only 2 games, and those 2 games aren't games we're necessarily going to lose or that the teams in our division are necessarily going to win.

Last year, the difference between the Titans, Jags, Colts, and Texans, was that we each played a different team from the AFC West and the AFC North. The Texans, Jags, and Colts all went 1-1 in those games, and the Titans went 0-2. We were playing a "second place" schedule and had to play the Bengals from the AFC North while the Colts got the Steelers.

Now, we may play a tougher schedule than last year, but the fact that we were division champs isn't really much of a factor in that.

Division winners play division winners from the same conference after they win it. We play New England and Denver away as part of that. We also have the NFC North with Green Bay and Minnesota away this year, although that doesn't have anything to do with winning the division. Still, the schedule looks tough.

Division winners play division winners from the same conference after they win it. We play New England and Denver away as part of that. We also have the NFC North with Green Bay and Minnesota away this year, although that doesn't have anything to do with winning the division. Still, the schedule looks tough.
Everyone in the division plays Denver, and the Texans would play them even if they finished fourth in the division last season. They play in Denver because the last time the AFC South and AFC West matched up (2013), they played in Houston. You mentioned New England, and that's one difference, with the other one being Cincy (in Houston). Who knows how the actual schedule will play out, but Indy plays Pittsburgh as a result of a second place finish, and it's entirely realistic to say that when all is said and done, Indy will have the tougher matchup.

Strength of schedule (or lack of strength, as the case may be) ahead of the season is way overplayed, and the "disadvantage" of a first place schedule even moreso.

He also thought "David Carr or Julius Peppers" and we know how that turned out.

I'm just the messenger here passing along Charley's tweet.

I believe it was McNair who made the final decision on Carr because Bob liked the idea and wanted David being the face of the franchise.

Imagine, if you can, that Charley is right about Lynch and if the Texans drafted Lynch at #22 it would cost them $9MM over 4 years instead of the $72MM they paid for Osweiller.

Charley has a definite bias here and an ax to grind with the Texans because they told him it was time for him to go, so take it for what it's worth.

I believe it was McNair who made the final decision on Carr because Bob liked the idea and wanted David being the face of the franchise.

Imagine, if you can, that Charley is right about Lynch and if the Texans drafted Lynch at #22 it would cost them $9MM over 4 years instead of the $72MM they paid for Osweiller.

Charley has a definite bias here and an ax to grind with the Texans because they told him it was time for him to go, so take it for what it's worth.

Imagine when Brock takes us to the Super Bowl

Everyone in the division plays Denver, and the Texans would play them even if they finished fourth in the division last season. They play in Denver because the last time the AFC South and AFC West matched up (2013), they played in Houston. You mentioned New England, and that's one difference, with the other one being Cincy (in Houston). Who knows how the actual schedule will play out, but Indy plays Pittsburgh as a result of a second place finish, and it's entirely realistic to say that when all is said and done, Indy will have the tougher matchup.

Strength of schedule (or lack of strength, as the case may be) ahead of the season is way overplayed, and the "disadvantage" of a first place schedule even moreso.

Point taken.

Stepping away from the division winner aspect of the discussion, my original point was that holding teams under 20 this year will be really tough with the teams we will be playing. Colts will have Luck back to his normal self (most likely), NE looks better on offense, Green Bay is Green Bay, Tennessee is likely to be better on offense, same with Jax (debatable), San Diego looks better already, Minnesota is probably going to be better. It doesn't look easy.

Having said that, a lot of our issue on D last year had to do with our offense not producing and therefore putting the defense on the field too often. We should probably be better in that respect this year with Osweiler and Miller moving the chains more often.

Anyway, I know we are all keen to improve our offense but a starting safety and a coverage linebacker should be high priorities, as high as most offensive priorities, this year.

The Casserly that picked HWNSNBM at #1..........OK............

From post #1419;

The Casserly that picked HWNSNBM at #1..........OK............

When Casserly speaks I immediately think how does this man have a job as a supposed expert. If you do the opposite of what Casserly says your team will be better off.

Casserly defines the term (It's who you know/blow when it comes to success in the NFL.)

Reactions: JB
Point taken.

Stepping away from the division winner aspect of the discussion, my original point was that holding teams under 20 this year will be really tough with the teams we will be playing. Colts will have Luck back to his normal self (most likely), NE looks better on offense, Green Bay is Green Bay, Tennessee is likely to be better on offense, same with Jax (debatable), San Diego looks better already, Minnesota is probably going to be better. It doesn't look easy.

Having said that, a lot of our issue on D last year had to do with our offense not producing and therefore putting the defense on the field too often. We should probably be better in that respect this year with Osweiler and Miller moving the chains more often.

Anyway, I know we are all keen to improve our offense but a starting safety and a coverage linebacker should be high priorities, as high as most offensive priorities, this year.

And before last season people were saying that O'Brien got off easy in his rookie year of coaching because our schedule was so much easier the first year than the second. Most of those same people were predicting at best a six win season last year.

Is our schedule tough? Yeah. Sure. So what? We just have to be tougher.

From what I've read/heard you're spot on about McNair wanting Carr way back when.
Also, yet another talking head, McShay, in his latest mock, doesn't think Lynch makes it past the Jets at #20.
Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis
Admittedly, I don't love this pick. It's too early for Lynch, who has a raw skill set and comes from an offense that featured few complex reads. He will need time to adjust to the pro game and is best for a team with a reliable QB already in place. With needs at outside linebacker and offensive tackle, the Jets would have to reach for guys like Noah Spence or Germain Ifedi here if the board fell this way.
But as you see, he also doesn't think Lynch is pro-ready. But that's just another talking head's opinion.

From post #1419;

Forgetting about the HWNSNBM Casserly is the brilliant guy that gave a startup franchise draft picks/trades like Joppru/Hollings/Babin/Buchanon/Charles Hill etc...

Capers for his many faults didn't stand a chance.

When Casserly speaks I immediately think how does this man have a job as a supposed expert. If you do the opposite of what Casserly says your team will be better off.

Casserly defines the term (It's who you know/blow when it comes to success in the NFL.)
Those who can not coach or managed end up on TV. With the exploding expansion of sports networks there is a lot of air time to fill so the talent pool has been greatly diminished.

How does a GM get all his own picks (except 1) and all of the Saints picks along with some more high picks and not turn that into a dynasty? Casserly, that's how.

And before last season people were saying that O'Brien got off easy in his rookie year of coaching because our schedule was so much easier the first year than the second. Most of those same people were predicting at best a six win season last year.

No doubt, I think we have already become tougher for teams to defend.

Casserly has a lot of cred here. I feel better than ever about the Osweiler signing.

I know you like to accuse me of being a Texans Troll. I'm not sure you understand or have taken into consideration just how happy and excited I would be about the Texans if Bob McNair were to hire Jimbo Fisher as the Texans Head Coach...OR....hire Eliot Wolf as the Texans GM....OR.... move up in the draft to draft Carson Wentz.

Last edited:
No doubt, I think we have already become tougher for teams to defend.

Agreed,

But they need to continue to add weapons on offense and finish the defense off.

On defense I would actually be OK with re-signing Demps for depth/competition, particularly if Antonio Allen is healthy. If Allen is healthy that's a big upgrade at the S position. Add a DT/DE and the defense is complete.

Correct, like you said, last year we played the 2nd place schedule, which got us the Bengals. The Colts got the first place schedule, which got them the Steelers.

in 2016, our first place schedule gets us the Benglas & their second place schedule gets them the Steelers.

Only difference is the NFC East. We'll play the Patriots, they'll play the Jets. But if the Jets take another step in the right direction, there's no guarantee the Colts would be the favorites for that game.

That's pretty strong, if that's what he's saying. I took it to mean that he likes Paxton Lynch better than 2012 Osweiler..... But if he's saying he likes Paxton Lynch better than 2016 Osweiler... that's crazy.

I can see the Seahawks making that decision after OTAs & training camp, about Russell Wilson over Flynn, but to say that now... wow. But it did get me to click on his tweet, so there's that.

Agreed,

But they need to continue to add weapons on offense and finish the defense off.

On defense I would actually be OK with re-signing Demps for depth/competition, particularly if Antonio Allen is healthy. If Allen is healthy that's a big upgrade at the S position. Add a DT/DE and the defense is complete.

what exactly has AA done in his career to make you think he is a big upgrade? to me he is another depth/ competition guy that hopefully will work out but im not expecting him to as a starter

I think the "6 at best" was after we found out Hoyer would be our starting QB. Had he been the starter all year, I still don't think we'd have won 6 games.

I know you like to accuse me of being a Texans Troll. I'm not sure you understand or have taken into consideration just how happy and excited I would be about the Texans if Bob McNair were to hire Jimbo Fisher as the Texans Head Coach...OR....hire Eliot Wolf as the Texans GM....OR.... move up in the draft to draft Carson Wentz.

Id be fine with the Wolf hiring. Im not a fan really of wanting Jimbo Fisher while he has been a good college coach he has 0 experience in the NFL. There are many differences in the game and operations from the college level to the pro level. OB at the very least had worked multiple years for an NFL team before he went to college so he knew about that stuff. We would have 0 chance even before signing Brock to move up and draft Wentz

So many specific conditions.....

Id be fine with the Wolf hiring. Im not a fan really of wanting Jimbo Fisher while he has been a good college coach he has 0 experience in the NFL. There are many differences in the game and operations from the college level to the pro level. OB at the very least had worked multiple years for an NFL team before he went to college so he knew about that stuff. We would have 0 chance even before signing Brock to move up and draft Wentz

Jimbo Fisher knows how to win more football games than most everyone else. On top of that he always has a top 5 recruiting class so he has an elite eye for talent. In addition he wants great coaches on his staff not his friends. Sometimes you've to think outside the box and stop doing the same things over and over again expecting different results. Jimbo Fisher is Jimmy Johnson.

Eliot Wolf has been carousing an NFL football field as a young boy. As a young boy Wolf has been learning and was taught by his HOF GM Dad. Today his education continues under Ted Thompson one of the very best in the business. Green Bay thinks so much of Wolf they just last week promoted him to Director of Football Operations.

Sadly, folks like Fisher and Wolf will never come to a franchise like Houston Texans because of consistent owner meddling. Folks like Fisher and Wolf can pick and choose where they want to go and avoid places that have illustrated regular owner interference. That is why the Texans have O'Brien and Smith, they're just happy to be here. Unlike Fisher and Wolf, O'Brien and Smith do not have a proven record nor a pick and choose resume. Folks like Wolf and DeCosta are content to wait their turn at GB and BAL because they know they won't have to make other peoples (McNair's) mistakes.

Last edited:
Jimbo Fisher knows how to win more football games than most everyone else. On top of that he always has a top 5 recruiting class so he has an elite eye for talent. In addition he wants great coaches on his staff not his friends. Sometimes you've to think outside the box and stop doing the same things over and over again expecting different results. Jimbo Fisher is Jimmy Johnson.

Eliot Wolf has been carousing an NFL football field as a young boy. As a young boy Wolf has been learning and was taught by his HOF GM Dad. Today his education continues under Ted Thompson one of the very best in the business. Green Bay thinks so much of Wolf they just last week promoted him to Director of Football Operations.

Sadly, folks like Fisher and Wolf will never come to a franchise like Houston Texans because of consistent owner meddling. Folks like Fisher and Wolf can pick and choose where they want to go and avoid places that have illustrated regular owner interference. That is why the Texans have O'Brien and Smith, they're just happy to be here. Unlike Fisher and Wolf, O'Brien and Smith do not have a proven record nor a pick and choose resume. Folks like Wolf and DeCosta are content to wait their turn at GB and BAL because they know they won't have to make other peoples (McNairs) mistakes.

I dont think you can say Fisher constantly having a top 5 recruiting class means he has an elite eye for talent. They rank recruiting classes based on the player evaluations coming out of HS. Of course the teams that get the most 5 star and 4 star recruits will have the best recruiting class grade. That doesnt show an eye for talent as every college coach in the country knows how talented those players are and they make a push to get those kids. You say he wants great coaches on his staff not his friends? So does every single head coach in the history of football. When a HC gets hired they generally bring in people they are familiar with know their system, and know how they want things done. I can guarantee you your man crush Fisher did the same thing at FSU. Now as years go on and people leave either to another job, or from firing then you replace them with other coaches. How many coaches on our staff currently has OB coached with before?

You say you will only be happy with the Texans if they hire someone like Wolf or Fisher then say that they would never come here anyways. So why still be a fan of this team? Maybe its time for you to move on to an organization like the Ravens or Packers, because according to you there is nothing this club can do to make you a happy fan

I dont think you can say Fisher constantly having a top 5 recruiting class means he has an elite eye for talent. They rank recruiting classes based on the player evaluations coming out of HS. Of course the teams that get the most 5 star and 4 star recruits will have the best recruiting class grade. That doesnt show an eye for talent as every college coach in the country knows how talented those players are and they make a push to get those kids. You say he wants great coaches on his staff not his friends? So does every single head coach in the history of football. When a HC gets hired they generally bring in people they are familiar with know their system, and know how they want things done. I can guarantee you your man crush Fisher did the same thing at FSU. Now as years go on and people leave either to another job, or from firing then you replace them with other coaches. How many coaches on our staff currently has OB coached with before?

You say you will only be happy with the Texans if they hire someone like Wolf or Fisher then say that they would never come here anyways. So why still be a fan of this team? Maybe its time for you to move on to an organization like the Ravens or Packers, because according to you there is nothing this club can do to make you a happy fan

So much of what you think you know is simply not true. Think of me as Texans fan in much the same way you think of the Chicago Cubs fans.

Would I prefer to lock in a chance at signing a QB today who could possibly become Matt Schaub OR would I prefer to WAIT and try to trade up at a chance to draft a QB who could become Andrew Luck, Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady? Put me down for the latter.

Would I prefer to lock in a chance at signing a QB today who could possibly become Matt Schaub OR would I prefer to WAIT and try to trade up at a chance to draft a QB who could become Andrew Luck, Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady? Put me down for the latter.

I was not on the Brock bandwagon before we signed him, and im still cautious about it. Im happy because I think this group that we have in charge has finally made a play to go all in with a guy instead of signing stop gaps. So for now until proven other wise ill be optimistic.

I think to say that the most Brock can become is Schuab is foolish, he has way more physical talent therefore his upside is higher. You want us to trade up for Wentz, but i could easily argue there is no way we could put together a package lucrative enough to move up from 22 to 1 to obtain him. So to me the argument is do you think higher of Brock, Cook, or Lynch as those are the guys I saw being in our trade/draft range being available. All you can ask is for the team to take a chance, they did if it works it works if not we get another regime change.

I was not on the Brock bandwagon before we signed him, and im still cautious about it. Im happy because I think this group that we have in charge has finally made a play to go all in with a guy instead of signing stop gaps. So for now until proven other wise ill be optimistic.

I think to say that the most Brock can become is Schuab is foolish, he has way more physical talent therefore his upside is higher. You want us to trade up for Wentz, but i could easily argue there is no way we could put together a package lucrative enough to move up from 22 to 1 to obtain him. So to me the argument is do you think higher of Brock, Cook, or Lynch as those are the guys I saw being in our trade/draft range being available. All you can ask is for the team to take a chance, they did if it works it works if not we get another regime change.
Schaub at his peak was a Top 15 QB, that's not to shabby. Clearly you're not familiar with the Atlanta trade for Julio Jones or Jacksonville trade for Derrick Harvey. #1 is not the target, #3 #4 or #6 would've been. No way Titans trade with division rival. And if you miss out, how much better off are you with Osweiller than say Lynch or Cook.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back