Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bring Back Brett!!!!

The Dream

All Pro
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3471189

With his family "tugging" on him to play, Brett Favre has an "itch" to come out of retirement and report to training camp with the Green Bay Packers later this month, according to sources close to the team and player.

Favre has communicated his potential desire to coach Mike McCarthy but talks have not advanced to a substantive stage, a Packers source said.

The source said the Packers would be reluctant to open the door for Favre because "Brett retired for the right reasons, even though I know his family is tugging on him [to play]."

Another source conceded Favre was "getting the itch" to play football in 2008.

However, Favre's agent downplayed the likelihood that the quarterback could un-retire or that he was prepared to report to camp July 28.

"As far as I know, right now, Brett Favre is retired and until he tells me something different, that's what it is," James "Bus" Cook, Favre's agent, said.

Favre was unavailable for comment. A Packers spokesman said that McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson were on vacation.

Favre has two years remaining on his contract at an average of about $12.5 million per season. His salary is not currently counting toward the salary cap because the Packers placed him on the reserve-retired list.

If Favre decides that he absolutely wants to play this season, the Packers could be confronted with a sensitive issue. The entire offseason has been spent preparing Aaron Rodgers to play quarterback to the point where "the offensive scheme has evolved" and, psychologically, closing the door on Favre's legendary 17-year career.

If the Packers resist a stronger push by Favre to return, sources speculate that the quarterback could press the team to release him from his contract so that he could seek a job with another team. A league official said that Favre could force a decision by asking the Packers, in writing, to reinstate him to active status. The team would have to comply or release him.

"That's speculation and I wouldn't go there," a team source said. "We value Brett's legacy, we think he values it, and we'd want to protect that. Brett's a high-quality person and he's not going to push it that far. He'll do the right thing [and stay retired]. This was almost predictable, the idea that Brett would get the itch to play as we get closer to the season."

In an interview done with ESPN around the time Favre retired in early March, McCarthy predicted Favre "will have an itch to come back. I saw Joe Montana go through it, even though I was a younger coach in Kansas City at the time."

McCarthy said it was Favre who convinced the coach that retirement was the "right thing to do."

"I tried to talk him out of retirement," McCarthy said back in March. "Tom Clements [Green Bay's quarterbacks coach] and I were trying to sell him on the concept that he could still play at a high level with 80-to-85 percent of the commitment he had last year. Brett thought that maybe he could do it but he reasoned that when you cut back the commitment, you open yourself up to injury, to not being on top of your game -- which was very important to Brett -- and letting the team down in the process.

"Really, what Brett did was very honorable because the stress and pressure he feels is a direct result of the standard he sets for himself."

Dude shouldn't tempt fate, especially since he's on the Madden cover and all.

I know people get sick of the drama, but Brett is still a top talent QB in the NFL......and he's my 2nd favorite behind Hakeem.............BRING BACK BRETT!

I know people get sick of the drama, but Brett is still a top talent QB in the NFL......and he's my 2nd favorite behind Hakeem.............BRING BACK BRETT!

Brett IS my favorite QB of all time, but I don't think it'd be wise to come back. He's on top of the World right now, a millionaire and a 1st ballot HOFer.

Eh, I suppose if it's for the love of the game I would back him.

Top talent? I disagree. Aged vet who makes bad throws but gets away with it because he won a title and an MVP forever ago.

As for the itch, talk to Madden about tough acting Tinactin.

Brett is still a top 5 QB in the league....and up until the conference title game he did a good job of not "forcing" the issue.....

Brett is still a top 5 QB in the league....and up until the conference title game he did a good job of not "forcing" the issue.....

Its Aaron Rodgers chance now and to give him the job and then to pull the rug out from under him and give it right back to brett is bull.

If Brett wanted to keep playing he shouldnt of retired in the first place. He puts a strain on the franchise doing this year after year.

You retired now stay that way.

to hell with aaron rogers.........at least for now.......the kid will have to get over it.........this is brett favre we're talking about here.

Top talent? I disagree. Aged vet who makes bad throws but gets away with it because he won a title and an MVP forever ago.

As for the itch, talk to Madden about tough acting Tinactin.

This is the reason he's my all time favorite QB. He's not as talented as most of the other upper echelon QB's are but the way he plays the game is enough to earn my respect.

I'm not really for Brett coming back to play, but if it's for the love of the game and he can still play then how can someone not support him.

I'm hearing that the Packers might not want him back, therefore he might be playing somewhere else next season.............why would Greenbay do this?????

to hell with aaron rogers.........at least for now.......the kid will have to get over it.........this is brett favre we're talking about here.

Brett favre is a great QB but cmon hes won one super bowl. If he was as great as you guys make him out to be he'd have alot more titles.

Brett favre is a great QB but cmon hes won one super bowl. If he was as great as you guys make him out to be he'd have alot more titles.

you know how many great QBs "don't" win Superbowls???? And he's also played in another one, broken numerous records, has had amazing performances, and is coming off one of his best years last season.......................................BRING BACK BRETT!!!

I'm hearing that the Packers might not want him back, therefore he might be playing somewhere else next season.............why would Greenbay do this?????

IIRC, the Packers would still own the rights for Favre considering there was a couple years left on his contract. In order to go to another team he'd have to be either cut or traded.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

IIRC, the Packers would still own the rights for Favre considering there was a couple years left on his contract. In order to go to another team he'd have to be either cut or traded.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

that is true, which is probably what would happen.......

i feel really bad for aaron rodgers, favre needs to stop this nonsense... it's getting very annoying...

you know how many great QBs "don't" win Superbowls???? And he's also played in another one, broken numerous records, has had amazing performances, and is coming off one of his best years last season.......................................BRING BACK BRETT!!!

He's still overrated. He's a great guy so people overlook his failures.

Last year he had the NFC Title game at Lambeau in overtime with the ball in his hands and he failed.

His time is up.

I hope he does come back and stinks it up and they cut to Aaron Rodgers laughing.

He may not ever be good but he has paid his dues and earned his shot.

shame on u for calling Brett overrated........**** aaron rogers and his emotions.....he can cry his little heart out for all I care...............BRING BACK BRETT!!!!

He's still overrated. He's a great guy so people overlook his failures.

Last year he had the NFC Title game at Lambeau in overtime with the ball in his hands and he failed.

His time is up.

I hope he does come back and stinks it up and they cut to Aaron Rodgers laughing.

He may not ever be good but he has paid his dues and earned his shot.
He's had a few shots and hasn't done very much with them.

the only shot Aaron Rogers deserves is a shot to the forhead if he tries to take brett's spot........BRING BACK BRETT!!!

shame on u for calling Brett overrated........**** aaron rogers and his emotions.....he can cry his little heart out for all I care...............BRING BACK BRETT!!!!

He is. Big fans of Brett wont believe it but he's had the opportunities to win more championships he didnt deliver.

The records and being an iron man starting all those games is great but look at the teams Brady won championships with and look at Favre's teams and there's no reason Brett couldnt of done the same.

When the Packers got beat by Vick in Lambeau in the playoffs it was a sign that maybe Brett isnt as great as people make him out to be.

The records and being an iron man starting all those games is great but look at the teams Brady won championships with and look at Favre's teams and there's no reason Brett couldnt of done the same.

Brady is part of a system.........Brett is a system...................For years Favre had to play with crap after his superbowl days.......on both sides of the football. He won one and got to another, and lost to Elways, Davis, and the boys...............The Packers Defense not being able to stop Davis was the reason they lost that game..........not Brett

BRING BACK BRETT!!!

That is one more Superbowl win than Dan Marino, Warren Moon, Jim Kelly, Fran Tarkenton, and Dan Fouts have won (all HoF QBs, btw).

Brett Farve needs to come back like John Madden needs those biggie fries.

WooHoo he won one SB. So did Eli Manning, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypan and a host of others.

Good I'm sick of Brett's crap. He so full of himself. Get over it, retire, film Something About Mary 2 and shut up.

To me Brett comin' back into the game would be :deadhorse

Sometimes you gotta man up and admit that it's time to throw in the towel. It reminds me of guys that are so desperate to keep "living the dream" that they become a laughing stock.

Brett Farve needs to come back like John Madden needs those biggie fries.

WooHoo he won one SB. So did Eli Manning, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypan and a host of others.

Good I'm sick of Brett's crap. He so full of himself. Get over it, retire, film Something About Mary 2 and shut up.

Amen

Brett is an icon bring him back you folks think it is just so easy to win an SB.

And you guys seriously beleive he's still great and is a football savior. His swan sang played three years ago and every year since.

Brett Farve was hardly top 5 last year and sure as heck won't be this year.

He's an old decrepit QB who just can't come to terms with his mortality.

I believe if he comes back and plays another year, it will be solely to defer being included in HOF voting until sometime after 2013, therebye ensuring Michael Strahan first ballot election into the Hall.

Seriously? No....Seriously? Brett was, and might still be, a great player but I'm starting to roll my eyes at this. Either stay or leave but don't give ESPN a reason to give us another Favreathon. Enough! Life goes on. $hit or get off the pot!!!

Stay away Brett, if I have to see a whole 'nother entire week of highlights the next time you "retire" I am going to go batty. Yes you were great, yes I enjoyed watching play and blah blah blah blah......enough already, this act is getting freaking old already.

And you guys seriously beleive he's still great and is a football savior. His swan sang played three years ago and every year since.

He was in the NFC Championship game just seven months ago. I'd take a 'washed up' QB that could get us that far into the playoffs any day.

So what, he lost with his team. The Giants weren't bad. They did go on to beat the 18-0 Patriots to get that ring.

I never said Favre was any kind of "savior" (your rhetoric). I'm just an NFL fan that enjoys watching great players do their thing and have fun doing it.

I am amazed that so many football fans hold such bitterness towards one of the NFL's greatest players. If he's got another year in the tank, let that be his decision, not ours in a court of public opinion.

If Brett had never talked about walking away I would value his presence in the League, but I am so sick of hearing about his non-football decision making, just quit and go away or comeback and leave quietly with dignity when the time comes, no one cares Brett.

The sign that should be hung over Favre's locker if he comes back....

98268~Caution-Drama-Queen-Just-Ahead-Posters.jpg

He was in the NFC Championship game just seven months ago. I'd take a 'washed up' QB that could get us that far into the playoffs any day.

So what, he lost with his team. The Giants weren't bad. They did go on to beat the 18-0 Patriots to get that ring.

I never said Favre was any kind of "savior" (your rhetoric). I'm just an NFL fan that enjoys watching great players do their thing and have fun doing it.

I am amazed that so many football fans hold such bitterness towards one of the NFL's greatest players. If he's got another year in the tank, let that be his decision, not ours in a court of public opinion.

Amen to that DB!

Brett's one of those rare players that people will always be talking about. One of those guys that fans will say "Hey I saw Favre play" and be proud of that.

If he wants to come back let him. Geez. He's entitled to that as far as I'm concerned.

Bring the old fart back!

The Madden curse must live. The legacy can not be broken, or else the world will implode!

I bet aaron rodgers is about ready to explode; 4 years of having your chain yanked by this dude would frustrate the hell out of me, as a competitor & i don't care who he is.

Plus if favre does come back & then FINALLY calls it quits for good after this year, Rodgers will only have 1 year to really prove himself before he has to negotiate another contract. If he has a tony romo type 1st year starting he'll be fine, but if he doesn't the pack will use that against him come negotiating time & he'll have lost some money..........mostly b/c favre wouldn't clear the way for this dude to get some reps as a starter & a spineless front office & coaching staff.

I bet aaron rodgers is about ready to explode; 4 years of having your chain yanked by this dude would frustrate the hell out of me, as a competitor & i don't care who he is.

Plus if favre does come back & then FINALLY calls it quits for good after this year, Rodgers will only have 1 year to really prove himself before he has to negotiate another contract. If he has a tony romo type 1st year starting he'll be fine, but if he doesn't the pack will use that against him come negotiating time & he'll have lost some money..........mostly b/c favre wouldn't clear the way for this dude to get some reps as a starter & a spineless front office & coaching staff.
Brett has the right to play as long as he wants and let Rogers be traded to a team where he can be the starter. If GB saw something in Aaron Rogers the starter a long time ago and made Brett the back up.

Brett has the right to play as long as he wants and let Rogers be traded to a team where he can be the starter. If GB saw something in Aaron Rogers the starter a long time ago and made Brett the back up.

Wow... You must think Brett is ageless and will never drop in performance.

I agree with you, let Brett play until he's 50 or 60. Who cares if he plays like crap, he deserve the starting QB spot in GB as long as he lives.

I think every team should let their past hero starts as long as they're with the team. Who cares about how they would perform currently, it only matters what they done in the past, right?

I know it has to be hard to retire from football. I didn't even play in the NFL and I miss playing football. The competitiveness, the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat..there is nothing like it. When you are competitor like Brett, it's going to be very hard to walk away. Brett's problem is a problem I wish I had. Good Luck on your decision Brett....the NFL world will be waiting.

Wow... You must think Brett is ageless and will never drop in performance.

I agree with you, let Brett play until he's 50 or 60. Who cares if he plays like crap, he deserve the starting QB spot in GB as long as he lives.
I really don't think he is ageless at all. He will know when the time is right. Why do people really give a darn?

True, brett can play as long as he wants, but how would you feel if you were Rodgers? Another thing, lets be real, brett hasn't been Brett since about 2000 - 2001. He's broke almost every major passing record there is, he's got a ring, beloved by the city & his peers, what else is there to prove?

i mean damn if you want to retire, fine go ahead but geez I'm sick of seeing ESPN/NFL network doing tribute pieces about his career only for him to come back the next year when it gets close to training camp & he starts to get the itch again.

& the organization/coaching staff scared to hurt his feelings keeps letting this dude, yo-yo them instead of just moving on for him, cause he sure as hell can't do it himself. If he wants to play bad enough, i'm sure another team would be more than willing to help him out in that regard............Then you'll find out if he really wants to play again; He'd have Al Davis foaming at the mouth.

True, brett can play as long as he wants, but how would you feel if you were Rodgers? Another thing, lets be real, brett hasn't been Brett since about 2000 - 2001. He's broke almost every major passing record there is, he's got a ring, beloved by the city & his peers, what else is there to prove?

i mean damn if you want to retire, fine go ahead but geez I'm sick of seeing ESPN/NFL network doing tribute pieces about his career only for him to come back the next year when it gets close to training camp & he starts to get the itch again.

& the organization/coaching staff scared to hurt his feelings keeps letting this dude, yo-yo them instead of just moving on for him, cause he sure as hell can't do it himself. If he wants to play bad enough, i'm sure another team would be more than willing to help him out in that regard............Then you'll find out if he really wants to play again; He'd have Al Davis foaming at the mouth.
By this post your saying that last year was all luck I don't think so.

I really don't think he is ageless at all. He will know when the time is right. Why do people really give a darn?

It's the topic of discussion, thats why. Also, he retired this year, so he must've thought it was time, no?

Back