Thanks for your support!

Brian Gaine Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaveMercy

Passing Through
What would you like to bet..
Brother Mollywhopper,
Since I used the phrase "I'll bet" metaphorically in a metaphorical sort of way... there's no real intention to "bet".

However, since you ask and in the ongoing spirit of fun in this slow news part of the off season, I will suggest this: the loser has to promptly post something nice about the winner in this thread.

Rules: The bet is just between you and me, and the bet expires at 11:59 PM on Saturday, May 25th.

The referenced post has to include a quote from one Joseph Stalin. It can't be created by going back and entering a new "old" post.

It's also possible you're just pulling my leg because you need bait for the next Yeti hunt and you don't really want to bet. Works for me. But I'm enjoying the back and forth conversation.

Last edited:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Brother Mollywhopper,
Since I used the phrase "I'll bet" metaphorically in a metaphorical sort of way... there's no real intention to "bet".

However, since you ask and in the ongoing spirit of fun in this slow news part of the off season, I will suggest this: the loser has to promptly post something nice about the winner in this thread.

Rules: The bet is just between you and me, and the bet expires at 11:59 PM on Saturday, May 25th.

The referenced post has to include a quote from one Joseph Stalin. It can't be created by going back and entering a new "old" post.

It's also possible you're just pulling my leg because you need bait for the next Yeti hunt and you don't really want to bet. Works for me. But I'm enjoying the te ta te.
How does that satisfy the stipulation that Stalin has never been quoted here before yours?

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Brother Mollywhopper,

It's also possible you're just pulling my leg because you need bait for the next Yeti hunt and you don't really want to bet. Works for me. But I'm enjoying the te ta te.
You said you'd bet that Joseph Stalin had never been quoted on this site..

I disagree..
Is the willingness to eat a shitload of casualties a communist thing or what? The Soviets, Chinese, North Koreans, Vietnamese, and Cambodians all just hucked wave after wave of men at the enemy. I know Stalin had the quote "Quantity is its own quality."
Now be nice..

HaveMercy

Passing Through
You said you'd bet that Joseph Stalin had never been quoted on this site..
I disagree..
Now be nice..
Again, all of this is meant as tongue in cheek fun. A touch of fun is needed around here.

Okay, pretty good. I see the quote from someone named The 1ApplePie. He definitely quotes Joseph Stalin. But it sure doesn't sound like something that came from the TexansTalk site. My guess is that it came from one of the other Forums. My original post specified TexansTalk. So, where was the 1ApplePie post found?

I'm not trying to get out of legitimately losing the bet. I plan to post something very nice about Mollywhopper anyway, win or lose. So let me know where that is found.

Last edited:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Again, all of this is meant as tongue in cheek fun. A touch of fun is needed around here.

Okay, pretty good. I see the quote from someone named The 1ApplePie. He definitely quotes Joseph Stalin. But it sure doesn't sound like something that came from the TexansTalk site. My guess is that it came from one of the other Forums. My original post specified TexansTalk. So, where was the 1ApplePie post found?

I'm not trying to get out of legitimately losing the bet. I plan to post something very nice about Mollywhopper anyway, win or lose. So let me know that is found.
Really?

HaveMercy

Passing Through
Win or lose, I'm going to go ahead and brag on one of the biggest friends of TexansTalk, Mr. Mollywhopper.

Mr. Mollywhopper is smart, witty, clever, and someone I hope to someday call Friend. It's really good to have him post regularly on TexansTalk. Thank you, MW.
From HaveMercy.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member

I'm not trying to get out of legitimately losing the bet. I plan to post something very nice about Mollywhopper anyway, win or lose. So let me know where that is found.
The link is in the quote big guy..

You lost..

Last edited:

HaveMercy

Passing Through
The link is in the quote big guy..

You lost..
MW, In the spirit of good sportsmanship, I've already paid up. See my post from 9:56 PM last night.

By the way, I've gone back to look at the post you copied from 1ApplePie and can't find the link to the original. Maybe I don't know what I'm looking for... wouldn't be the first time.

I hope everyone had a bit of fun with this distraction. If so, it served it's purpose.

And now, back to Football and Brian Gaine! I can hardly wait until there's more football stuff to chat about.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
MW, In the spirit of good sportsmanship, I've already paid up. See my post from 9:56 PM last night.

By the way, I've gone back to look at the post you copied from 1ApplePie and can't find the link to the original. Maybe I don't know what I'm looking for... wouldn't be the first time.

I hope everyone had a bit of fun with this distraction. If so, it served it's purpose.

And now, back to Football and Brian Gaine! I can hardly wait until there's more football stuff to chat about.
I saw your post, and I saw it essentially question my integrity. Terribly optimistic of you, btw.

The link is the little arrow next to the poster's name in the quote.

HaveMercy

Passing Through
I saw your post, and I saw it essentially question my integrity. Terribly optimistic of you, btw.

MW, thanks for letting me know how to find the link to the original post from 1ApplePie.

It was in the Entertainment Forum, under the Ken Burns Vietnam thread. Unfortunately, that's not even close to being part of Texans Talk that I thought we were referencing.

I definitely don't consider that to be in the spirit of this friendly wager, meaning you didn't win within what I considered the parameters of our discussion. That's not questioning your integrity, it's just stating what may have been a misunderstanding.

But I will stand by the nice things I posted about you.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
That little arrow hasn't worked for me since the board's last upgrade.
It doesn't work for me if the post that's been quoted/linked is on the same page as where it's been quoted.

When it's on a previous page it goes to it just fine.

So I know when I click the link that if the page changes then great and if it doesn't then I just need to scroll up to find the quoted post.

Hope that makes sense.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It doesn't work for me if the post that's been quoted/linked is on the same page as where it's been quoted.

When it's on a previous page it goes to it just fine.

So I know when I click the link that if the page changes then great and if it doesn't then I just need to scroll up to find the quoted post.

Hope that makes sense.
Whoa... that sht works. Thanks

MW, thanks for letting me know how to find the link to the original post from 1ApplePie.

It was in the Entertainment Forum, under the Ken Burns Vietnam thread. Unfortunately, that's not even close to being part of Texans Talk that I thought we were referencing.

I definitely don't consider that to be in the spirit of this friendly wager, meaning you didn't win within what I considered the parameters of our discussion. That's not questioning your integrity, it's just stating what may have been a misunderstanding.

But I will stand by the nice things I posted about you.
So I'm guessing one of you thought the wager was based on all the forums on the site texanstalk.com and the other was only referencing the Texans Talk sub forum of The Great Fans of the Houston Texans.

HaveMercy

Passing Through
So I'm guessing one of you thought the wager was based on all the forums on the site texanstalk.com and the other was only referencing the Texans Talk sub forum of The Great Fans of the Houston Texans.
Yes, that is correct. I will take the hit for the misunderstanding. I'm learning another lesson here: don't agree to a bet.

Based on what TK (note: late correction: MW) considered the playing field, I lost fair and square.

Last edited:

HaveMercy

Passing Through
TK as in theKDog?

I don't have a dog in this race. I don't even know what the bet was & refuse to go back & look it up.
MY BAD! So sorry. I meant MW, as in MollyW. I was in carbohydrate overload after a big TexMex lunch. I wish none of this had ever happened.

Last edited:

HaveMercy

Passing Through
TK as in theKDog?

I don't have a dog in this race. I don't even know what the bet was & refuse to go back & look it up.
MY BAD! So sorry. I meant MW, as in MollyW. I was in carbohydrate overload after a big TexMex lunch. I wish none of this had ever happened.
Yeah, gonna get a beer and go to a new thread, this one is complicated
If I could go back and delete the entire conversation, I would.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Win or lose, I'm going to go ahead and brag on one of the biggest friends of TexansTalk, Mr. Mollywhopper.

Mr. Mollywhopper is smart, witty, clever, and someone I hope to someday call Friend. It's really good to have him post regularly on TexansTalk. Thank you, MW.
From HaveMercy.
We ALL know I'm the best commentator on this board. We voted, remember? Maybe you weren't here that day, but just trust me.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I remember last post Draft.............there was just as much questioning and headscratching over the picks as there is this post Draft.
Huh? The 2018 picks were almost unanimously praised. There were questions about the Akins pick so early (late 3rd). The other picks were praised, profusely.

Reid
Rankin
Akins
Coutee
Ejiofor
Thomas

And the questioning and headscratching this year are generated from one pick. The overwhelming majority are happy with the picks from the 2nd round on. It's the first pick. And I haven't seen anyone suggest Howard is a bust. The criticism stems from, why take a raw player so early, why not maneuver in the draft and take the same player, or why not maneuver in the draft and select a more accomplished player? All legitimate questions. And that criticism is from less than 50% of the fanbase that resides here.

Gaine has been on the job for 18 months. Everything he has touched has not turned to gold. There are concerns from some that he has not done enough to protect the franchise QB we have waited so long for. I hope Gaine has made the right decision. I think even the most strident critics of Gaine hope that, as well. Let's just not hoist him up on a pedestal, yet. It could be a long fall.

Mangler

Toro de España
Huh? The 2018 picks were almost unanimously praised. There were questions about the Akins pick so early (late 3rd). The other picks were praised, profusely.

Reid
Rankin
Akins
Coutee
Ejiofor
Thomas

And the questioning and headscratching this year are generated from one pick. The overwhelming majority are happy with the picks from the 2nd round on. It's the first pick. And I haven't seen anyone suggest Howard is a bust. The criticism stems from, why take a raw player so early, why not maneuver in the draft and take the same player, or why not maneuver in the draft and select a more accomplished player? All legitimate questions. And that criticism is from less than 50% of the fanbase that resides here.

Gaine has been on the job for 18 months. Everything he has touched has not turned to gold. There are concerns from some that he has not done enough to protect the franchise QB we have waited so long for. I hope Gaine has made the right decision. I think even the most strident critics of Gaine hope that, as well. Let's just not hoist him up on a pedestal, yet. It could be a long fall.
I find it absolutely retarded that anyone in here would say that Howard is a bust when the guy hasn’t even played a single down in a live NFL game. It’s comical. It’s disgusting how they can sit here and label him a bust and Dillard some All-Pro when neither has had even a preseason under their belt, and the fact they say it with conviction is even more disturbing.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

Reid
Rankin
Akins
Coutee
Ejiofor
Thomas

Good post. But I do remember definite questioning of the Rankin pick mostly projected as an NFL guard, Akins (as you pointed out) too early, Ejiofor (coming off of right labrum shoulder surgery not being able to participate in preseason and risk for re-injury [which did occur and he essentially went through the entire 2nd half of last season with a bum right shoulder]), Thomas as to why did we choose 2 TEs, and then of course..........we didn't fix the OL problem with our picks (and I know, we had a limited draft.......but there were still lots of complaints). Many of the questions did not come in the "welcome to Houston.........." they came scattered throughout many other threads.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I find it absolutely retarded that anyone in here would say that Howard is a bust when the guy hasn’t even played a single down in a live NFL game. It’s comical. It’s disgusting how they can sit here and label him a bust and Dillard some All-Pro when neither has had even a preseason under their belt, and the fact they say it with conviction is even more disturbing.

Nobody call the youngster a bust.

Mangler

Toro de España
Can you quote someone that has posted that?
You must have not read all the posts criticizing Gaine for taking a “sure thing” in Dillard and drafting the “small school project” in Howard. They make it seem as Dillard is a guaranteed franchise LT and Howard, on the other hand, is just some backup. It’s mostly the ones that pounded the table for Flowers and Trent Brown, so I wipe my ass with their opinions/predictions anyway.

I hope I didn’t hurt their little feelings. Just kidding, I don’t give a rat’s arse.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
You must have not read all the posts criticizing Gaine for taking a “sure thing” in Dillard and drafting the “small school project” in Howard.
Can't find a single post calling Howard a bust? So you're just making shyt up, huh?

BTW, Howard is from a small school. Had two games vs. FBS schools in 4 seasons. How could he possibly be described as anything but a project?

Dillard was a 4 year starter at a PAC 12 school. No one is a sure thing. But, that's as much of a sure thing as you can get.

No one knows for sure how this plays out. But pointing out that Gaine has gone against the grain is a very fair critique.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You must have not read all the posts criticizing Gaine for taking a “sure thing” in Dillard and drafting the “small school project” in Howard. They make it seem as Dillard is a guaranteed franchise LT and Howard, on the other hand, is just some backup. It’s mostly the ones that pounded the table for Flowers and Trent Brown, so I wipe my ass with their opinions/predictions anyway.

I hope I didn’t hurt their little feelings. Just kidding, I don’t give a rat’s arse.
So now liking Dillard more than Howard is calling Howard a bust?

People only hear what they want to hear. These 2 things aren't mutually exclusive.

Wipe away, obviously you have a terrible case of Montezuma's revenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.