Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Brian Gaine Fired

And again you can scale it back all day long but if the QB is holding the ball hoping to get that extra 5 yards then what play you called doesn't matter. Is this what happened, I have no idea, no one does except Watson and BoB and neither of them seems willing to throw the other under the bus. All we can go on is what was said and Watson himself said he was holding it to long and trying to make the big plays.

Could be BoB was calling for long passes every play and Watson was playing what was called, could be he was calling for short passes and Watson was holding it to extend the play or it could be a mix of both. Frankly I think it was a mix of both and second half was better because they looked at it at half time and agreed that something had to be done. By that time though it was to late and Colts knew it was theirs to lose and they weren't going to lose it.

That's why I said it's on the coach then. They should be on the same page. If Watson isn't listening to his coach's instructions well damb the reports were wrong about him being coachable . I highly doubt that's the case. Obrien didn't have his offense ready to go plain and simple. This is not the time this happened either.

2 games above. 500 including playoffs. That's the only point I was making. I would be happy to see him replaced with a proven winner. But if he is replaced just to replace, the Texans are liable to wind up with another Hugh Campbell
So you don’t want to do something different because it might be worse? You realize it could get better too, right?

Marvin Lewis kept getting the Bengals to the playoffs but he couldn’t get them to the next level. Schottenheimer won a lot of games for 3 different teams, but never got to the next level.

OB has been here 5 years, a bunch of 9-7 seasons, 3 division titles, but he’s just not getting this organization to the next level. When do you gamble on somebody else doing so? Or are we good with being the Bengals for another decade?

With a QB finally here that has the potential to be a great one, I think we’d be OK taking a gamble like that.

Wrong. Almost every time the Colts needed a big play a first down. The went to TY. That is considered torching in my book. They did not have an answer for him or the quick passing attack of the Colts.

They utilized both. Not just the running attack. Luck did not hold onto the ball. He killed us with the quick hitters. The reason why we didn't record a freaking sack. The first game we played them , we hit Luck often, both JJ and Clowney had 2 sacks a piece.

If you go back and read both of my comments, you will see I said the coaches didn't have this team prepared. That means both sides of the ball. Thus the reason why I stated TY killing us.

Here are the first half 3rd down conversions. 3 out of 7 involved passes to Hilton. The Colts did not punt in the first half so there were no failed 3rd down conversions. Oh look, KJa gave up a first down on a holding penalty negating a Mercilus sack.

3rd & 12 at IND 23
(13:34 - 1st) (Shotgun) A.Luck pass short right to T.Hilton to IND 35 for 12 yards (J.Joseph).

3rd & 2 at IND 43
(11:52 - 1st) (Shotgun) A.Luck pass short right to T.Hilton ran ob at HST 44 for 13 yards (T.Mathieu).

3rd & 1 at HOU 40
(7:15 - 1st) M.Mack up the middle to HST 38 for 2 yards (D.Cole; Z.Cunningham).

3rd & 4 at HOU 22

(13:10 - 2nd) (Shotgun) A.Luck pass short left to E.Ebron to HST 17 for 5 yards (J.Joseph).

3rd & 1 at IND 44
(8:40 - 2nd) (Shotgun) A.Luck pass short right to T.Hilton to IND 46 for 2 yards (J.Joseph).

3rd & 7 at IND 48
(0:27 - 2nd) (Shotgun) A.Luck sacked at IND 47 for -1 yards (W.Mercilus). PENALTY on HST-K.Jackson, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at IND 48 - No Play.

3rd & 4 at HOU 41
(0:10 - 2nd) (Shotgun) A.Luck pass short middle to C.Rogers to HST 29 for 12 yards (B.McKinney).

Here are the second half conversion attempts where they converted 2 out of 6. Hilton had three targets and one catch. Oh look, the one 3rd down catch that really mattered was against KJa in the 4th quarter.

3rd & 6 at IND 16
(12:15 - 3rd) (Shotgun) A.Luck scrambles left end ran ob at IND 25 for 9 yards (B.McKinney).

3rd & 7 at IND 28
(10:46 - 3rd) (Shotgun) A.Luck pass incomplete short left to C.Rogers.

3rd & 5 at IND 28
(8:22 - 3rd) (Shotgun) A.Luck pass incomplete short right to T.Hilton [D.Ejiofor].

3rd & 7 at HOU 43
(2:24 - 3rd) (Shotgun) A.Luck pass incomplete short left to T.Hilton [D.Ejiofor].

3rd & 5 at IND 30
(9:40 - 4th) (Shotgun) A.Luck pass deep right to T.Hilton pushed ob at 50 for 20 yards (K.Jackson).

3rd & 8 at HOU 48
(8:23 - 4th) (Shotgun) A.Luck scrambles left end to HST 45 for 3 yards (J.Joseph; B.McKinney). Penalty on IND-Q.Nelson, Offensive Holding, declined.

So basically on 13 third down conversion attempts, Hilton had six total targets with 4 receptions for first downs. Two were on the first drive of the game when the score was 0-0. I know that 20-yarder against Kareem in the 4th quarter really hurt, but the stats don't say that "almost every time" they went to him and he delivered.

This was what went down:

First TD drive
3-12 Luck to Hilton for 12 (JJo)
3-7 Watt offside 5-yd penalty
3-2 Luck to Hilton for 13 (Mathieu)

2-10 Luck to Hilton for 38 (McKinney)
Texans were in Tampa 2, where the LB needs to drop back into the deep middle.
Mathieu stepped up too high while McKinney took too long to drop back and Reid couldn't come over soon enough to help.
If this was cover 2, then it would be between Mathieu and Reid.

1-6 Luck to Ebron TD.
Mathieu played way off and did not pay attention to where Ebron lined up.
Either that or 55 McKinney fell asleep.

2nd TD drive.

The Colts ran 7 times for 53 yards, including Mack's TD
The Texans were penalized for too many men on the field and Mercilus was also called for Neutral Zone Infraction.

Luck completed a pass to C Rogers for 16 (Hal/Reid).
Hal bit on the stop-and-slant;
Reid, as the single safety, should have made a quicker move when Luck started scrambling to his left.

Luck also completed another pass to the RB Mack when McKinney got caught in the rub route twice (which is bad).

Third TD Drive
Colts ran twice for 9 yards.

3-1 Luck to Hilton for 2
Cole got caught in the rub route. That one was difficult to avoid
1-10 Luck to Inman for 21 (KJax slipped)

1-10 Luck to Ebron for 15 (Reid)
Texans were in 4-3 zone; Reid needed to step up onto the receiver a little quicker.
(Granted, he was distracted by the crossing route by another receiver, but Reid needs to know that the other safety will pick that guy up).

2-10 Luck to Inman for 18, TD
Texans were in either cover 3 or cover 4 (quarter).
#43 Wright got beat easily.
Most everybody sucked. including the guys up front. They got ZERO pressure on Luck (on ALL of the pass plays.)

4 QB Hits and 2 sacks on 32 pass attempts ain't gonna cut it.
That and allowing 200 yards on 35 rushing attempts.

Third TD Drive
Colts ran twice for 9 yards.

3-1 Luck to Hilton for 2
Cole got caught in the rub route. That one was difficult to avoid
1-10 Luck to Inman for 21 (KJax slipped)

1-10 Luck to Ebron for 15 (Reid)
Texans were in 4-3 zone; Reid needed to step up onto the receiver a little quicker.
(Granted, he was distracted by the crossing route by another receiver, but Reid needs to know that the other safety will pick that guy up).

2-10 Luck to Inman for 18, TD
Texans were in either cover 3 or cover 4 (quarter).
#43 Wright got beat easily.
Most everybody sucked. including the guys up front. They got ZERO pressure on Luck (on ALL of the pass plays.)

4 QB Hits and 2 sacks on 32 pass attempts ain't gonna cut it.
That and allowing 200 yards on 35 rushing attempts.

This is what I’ve been saying, as much as BoB and the offense sh!t the bed the defense was right next to them making their own pile. The loss to the Colts was a true team loss, everyone did their part to embarrass the city.

This was what went down:

First TD drive
3-12 Luck to Hilton for 12 (JJo)
3-7 Watt offside 5-yd penalty
3-2 Luck to Hilton for 13 (Mathieu)

Mathieu stepped up too high while McKinney took too long to drop back and Reid couldn't come over soon enough to help.

1-6 Luck to Ebron TD.
Mathieu played way off and did not pay attention to where Ebron lined up.
Either that or 55 McKinney fell asleep.

Dude is trying his best to blast down my opinion at every cost. And for what. Like I'm making skit up.

This is what I’ve been saying, as much as BoB and the offense sh!t the bed the defense was right next to them making their own pile. The loss to the Colts was a true team loss, everyone did their part to embarrass the city.

Thus the reason why I said the coaches (plural), meaning all of them didn't have this team ready to play some football.

The Colts hit us with those quick hitters in which opened up the offense. They adjusted their schemes on both sides of the ball. While Bill O'Brien and his staff ran the same freaking plays they ran in the previous two meetings against them.

So you don’t want to do something different because it might be worse? You realize it could get better too, right?

Marvin Lewis kept getting the Bengals to the playoffs but he couldn’t get them to the next level. Schottenheimer won a lot of games for 3 different teams, but never got to the next level.

OB has been here 5 years, a bunch of 9-7 seasons, 3 division titles, but he’s just not getting this organization to the next level. When do you gamble on somebody else doing so? Or are we good with being the Bengals for another decade?

With a QB finally here that has the potential to be a great one, I think we’d be OK taking a gamble like that.

No, I said don't make a change just to make a change. Go with someone that has proven himself at some level for what you want

The defense did hold the Colts scoreless in the second half though.

If we're being realistic, I think we had to expect the Texans to score more than 21 points to win the game.

So, yes, the D was bad, but the offense simply stunk.

If we're being realistic, I think we had to expect the Texans to score more than 21 points to win the game.

In roughly two years Ballard had rebuilt that Colt defense from poor to as good or better than Texans defense. Offense is a push in mind. Now going into year three Ballard still focused on defense while Texans primarily focused on the OL. So Texans offense needs to be much improved while defense needs to at least maintain to beat the Colts.

They both equally stunk.. You can't expect to comeback in a game where your defense gives up a 3 TD deficit before the fans even polish off their first beer.. Well you can if you were playing against the Oilers and Kevin Gilbright.. and the Asshole who did that just so happened to be coaching the damn Colts!

I'm out, I'm just getting pissed off all over again.

I think what hurt the team the most is by the time they reached the playoffs they were running on vapors. They had dealt with the bad oline all year, the receiving corps was depleted, Hopkins was so banged up he really shouldn't have been on the field, there was no depth or speed at CB, and the run game had become ineffective. To compound this, Watson had a flat game, missed open receivers, and the defense let the game get out of hand early. There just wasn't enough left in the tank to overcome this.

This was what went down:

There's no universe that McKinney should EVER be in "coverage" against TY Hilton. (and yes, I know what the MLB responsibilities are in Tampa 2)

I think what hurt the team the most is by the time they reached the playoffs they were running on vapors. They had dealt with the bad oline all year, the receiving corps was depleted, Hopkins was so banged up he really shouldn't have been on the field, there was no depth or speed at CB, and the run game had become ineffective. To compound this, Watson had a flat game, missed open receivers, and the defense let the game get out of hand early. There just wasn't enough left in the tank to overcome this.
IMO, what hurt the team the most is the stale play design/calling by OB.
There were very little imagination.

Reich, on the other hand, had a good mix of plays that help put their players in position to have a better chance to succeed: motion, double motion, well-thought-out screen, RPO, play action, rub routes, cover 3 beaters, the works.

I only saw some of that on the scoring drive for the Texans.
Otherwise, the receivers had to create separation or beat the opponent somehow, to get open.

Reich, on the other hand, had a good mix of plays that help put their players in position to have a better chance to succeed: motion, double motion, well-thought-out screen, RPO, play action, rub routes, cover 3 beaters, the works.

I only saw some of that on the scoring drive for the Texans.
Otherwise, the receivers had to create separation or beat the opponent somehow, to get open.

Hard to do this with a beat up QB/WR corps.

It needs to be the other way around.

It's exactly because of those things that an OC needs to be more creative with the plays.

What plays would you like to see called with a QB coming off of broken rbs/Punctured lung/Miller Knee/ Hopkins not being able to raise his hand over his head/an UDFA playing at the other WR spot?

What plays would you like to see called with a QB coming off of broken rbs/Punctured lung/Miller Knee/ Hopkins not being able to raise his hand over his head/an UDFA playing at the other WR spot?
Some of the plays I mentioned that Reich called.
Some variations of it.

And you're making excuses for OB again.
He called designed run play for Watson.
If you think that's the best way to help your QB, I don't know what else to tell you.

Bwhahaha at the poor excuses for Bill O'brien's ineptitude of play calling in the playoffs. Hopkins got hurt I think in the 2nd quarter. Watson was not hurt at all, he just played like rookie in his first NFL playoff game.

The Texans wasn't ready to play. This wasn't the 1st time they've came out lethargic. They usually starts the season like that as well asl end their season like that.

Last edited:
Bwhahaha at the poor excuses for Bill O'brien's ineptitude of play calling in the playoffs. Hopkins got hurt I think in the 2nd quarter. Watson was not hurt at all, he just played like rookie in his first NFL playoff game.

The Texans wasn't ready to play. This wasn't the 1st time they've came out lethargic. They usually starts the season like that as well end their season like that.

Just to point out Hopkins came into the game hurt and then got hurt worse in the second quarter.

Do you know why Watson was intercepted?
Because stale O'Brien called for the TE to run a predictable 5 yard curl route.
Hey, you. Just plod up field 5 yards and turn around.
Genius play design there.

On the other side, Ebron got a pick from his receiver and basically walked into the endzone for a TD.

That's, there, my friend, is the difference.

The Texans wasn't ready to play. This wasn't the 1st time they've came out lethargic. They usually starts the season like that as well end their season like that.

Yep he gets the same excuses. He had Tom Brady as his QB and when the offense sucks it's because welker got hurt

Do you know why Watson was intercepted?
Because stale O'Brien called for the TE to run a predictable 5 yard curl route.
Hey, you. Just plod up field 5 yards and turn around.
Genius play design there.

On the other side, Ebron got a pick from his receiver and basically walked into the endzone for a TD.

That's, there, my friend, is the difference.

You didn't answer my question, What did you want him to run with beat up skill position guys?

Also Watson threw that Int, not BOB, at what point does Watson get criticism around here? He had a terrible game and yet, that's all BOB's fault.

The Texans wasn't ready to play. This wasn't the 1st time they've came out lethargic. They usually starts the season like that as well asl end their season like that.

The point is Jesus Christ could've been calling plays and the Texans still would've lost. Watson had a bad game and Luck had a great game.

You didn't answer my question, What did you want him to run with beat up skill position guys?

Also Watson threw that Int, not BOB, at what point does Watson get criticism around here? He had a terrible game and yet, that's all BOB's fault.
Get real, steel. ;)

You want me to spell it out for you?

Call the damm rub route for the TE so that nobody can be near him to even have a chance at the ball.

Just because you have injured players doesn't mean you have to call a peewee level game.

And yes OBrien chose the backups too

Reich, on the other hand, had a goo

Well why is it Reich couldn’t do the same thing against the Chiefs in the playoffs then? All that great motion, double motion & “well-thought out” screen & RPO game got them a paltry 7 pts scored against a defense that at least statistically was way worse than the Texans defense. So what gives?

This where u guys who like to lock in on blaming the playcalling fails. A coach’s play calling doesn’t drastically change enough like that from game to game to explain a drop off like that. Only the matchups do. And that’s what this game comes down to.

The Colts had most of the matchups in their favor on offense against our overrated defense and especially our slow ass secondary. Easy to look like a playcalling savant when You have most of the matchups in your favor like that. Much harder to look like that when u don’t.

Well why is it Reich couldn’t do the same thing against the Chiefs in the playoffs then? All that great motion, double motion & “well-thought out” screen & RPO game got them a paltry 7 pts scored against a defense that at least statistically was way worse than the Texans defense. So what gives?

This where u guys who like to lock in on blaming the playcalling fails. A coach’s play calling doesn’t drastically change enough like that from game to game to explain a drop off like that. Only the matchups do. And that’s what this game comes down to.

The Colts had most of the matchups in their favor on offense against our overrated defense and especially our slow ass secondary. Easy to look like a playcalling savant when You have most of the matchups in your favor like that. Much harder to look like that when u don’t.
Play calling is literally putting your players in the best matchup. So when you fail at play calling you fail at putting your players in a position to succeed. OB more often than not fails to put his players in a position to succeed when facing good teams.

Play calling is literally putting your players in the best matchup. So when you fail at play calling you fail at putting your players in a position to succeed. OB more often than not fails to put his players in a position to succeed when facing good teams.
Could BOB have called a better game, probably, but when you are down to scrubs and the one weapon you still have left is so injured he should probably not be on the field, you are not going to get a whole lot of matchups in your favor. And let's not forget Watson missed some open receivers that ended drives. It's not all on BOB as some would like to think. The Texans were physically overmatched that game and Watson had an off game.

Because the Chiefs are well coached and were prepared to play some football. How can't you smart ones see this is beyond me. And you should know every game is completely different. So why are you even asking this insane question. Nevermind I forgot Bill O'Brien and company can't do anything remotely wrong in your world. It's never the coaching here in Houston.

O'Brien has been calling terrible playoff games going back to when he was calling Pats games 2009-10 and they were shut down by the Raven and Jets.

In fact those were the only times in Brady's history where he was one and done in the playoffs.

There are always good reasons.
I bet you didn't watch the Colts - Chiefs game.

I want to see a strong start to the season. Also want to see strong first halves and not scrambling to adjust in half time to what the other team is doing. I hope to see other teams adjusting to us. This would be a good season to see the Texans as a team come together against the world so to speak. One game at a time, full pedal to the metal all season. This team needs to be ready snap one each game. I want a 5 ppg game average increase.

Plays were there to be made. The texans didn't make them...That's not the playcall itself but on the player & it absolutely makes 0 sense to blame a missed throw to a wide open WR on the playcaller. Or blaming the playcaller for the RB missing the hole & consequently getting stuffed for a loss.

Because the Chiefs are well coached and were prepared to play some football. How can't you smart ones see this is beyond me. And you should know every game is completely different. So why are you even asking this insane question. Nevermind I forgot Bill O'Brien and company can't do anything remotely wrong in your world. It's never the coaching here in Houston.

Andy Reid has a history going back to his days in philly of having his teams fail in some of the biggest games of his career & its why he hasn't won a SB yet. Last year just added to his lore. Yeah, his teams are so well coached that Dee Ford committed 1 of the dumbest penalties in recent memory that effectively costed his team a trip to the SB... So well coached that his chiefs lost a playoff game to a Colts team back in 2013 in which they led by 28 pts well into the 2nd half of the game..:gun:. Give me a break.

Its never been about BoB "not doing anything wrong" its about placing the blame where it should lie. "coaching" has just become the catch all phrase for ya'll to use when something looks bad or something bad happens with this team.

O'Brien has been calling terrible playoff games going back to when he was calling Pats games 2009-10 and they were shut down by the Raven and Jets.

In fact those were the only times in Brady's history where he was one and done in the playoffs.

Yeah, you've already been called on this garbage & yet you still proliferate it....its y noone takes you seriously.

Let me summarize the first half and you can see why it's true that when good plays were called and they could fail.

The fact that it was a windy day (they cleared out most of the snow, but there are still patches on the field, and the Colts are a dome team).
The wind didn't faze Luck.
But his receivers dropped some untimely passes.)

First Colts offensive drive.
3rd and 3 Ebron was wide open.
He dropped the easy pass.

Chiefs TD

You're right, there was a good reason & I laid it out in the post. Match ups. The Colts simply couldn't overwhelm the Chiefs secondary with speed like they did with the Texans. & Instead of being able to call plays from comfortably ahead with a 14 pt lead where you have you entire playbook available, they were calling them from 17 down....where the playbook/playcalling was kinda limited. They were effectively put in the same position they put the Texans in b/c they didn't have the match up advantage against the Chiefs.

Colts 2nd drive.
2 consecutive passes were batted down at the line.
3rd and 10.
Another pass that the pass rusher had a hand on, just slightly.
The ball got there a little late.
The defender made a close play.
A hair sooner and the chance of a completion is higher.
Or the defender might be called for PI.

Chiefs scored another TD
14-0

Let me summarize the first half and you can see why it's true that when good plays were called and they could fail.

The fact that it was a windy day (they cleared out most of the snow, but there are still patches on the field, and the Colts are a dome team).
The wind didn't faze Luck.
But his receivers dropped some untimely passes.)

First Colts offensive drive.
3rd and 3 Ebron was wide open.
He dropped the easy pass.

Chiefs TD

This is my point EXACTLY. That drive ended b/c of a combo of a poor throw by Luck & Ebron's drop..i.e. execution. not b/c the playcall.

3rd Colts drive.
3rd and 2.
Luck was pressured quickly.
He tried to scramble but still got sacked.

Chiefs took a Long time before kicking a FG.
17-0

This is my point EXACTLY. That drive ended b/c of a combo of a poor throw by Luck & Ebron's drop..i.e. execution. not b/c the playcall.
Where you didn't mention is the play call got Ebron wide open.

O'Brien needs to have more plays like that to help his players.

That's why I always said that O'Brien is a mediocre OC.
I don't see enough innovation in him.
He's not a bad OC by any stretch.
But in the NFL, to win big, you have a better chance when you can consistently adapt to the new rules, style of players, style of plays, etc.

Back