Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Breaking it down

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Do you know of anyone out there, fan or media, that attempts to break down Texans game film as if they were game planning against the Texans?

I've seen a few who break down game film but they generally focus on the plays that work in the Texans favor & tend to be more fanfluff than anything.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Good thread. Maybe this can be the thread where cuts of plays are put and assessed regularly?

Offensive plays are always easier to me to interpret then defensive play schemes. It's hard to tell from distance what shoulder is being leveraged by corners or the nuisances on the defensive line etc. Just one blown coverage on defense makes a call look dumb.

I've seen some guys do it here over the years and would love to see more of it. I have my interpretations of what happens on any given play and love learning something new from others.

It takes a lot of patience though.

powda

Maybe you recall some time ago in Kareem Jackson's rookie year? @76Texan regularly posted play cuts defending him against most of the members on the board. There were some EPIC battles over it. Turns out he was mostly right. I absolutely loved reading it. Is that the kind of thing your referring to?

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Rivers McCown .. Aaron Wilson .. Brian Baldinger .. Ted Nguyen .. Brandon Thorne .. the NFL Matchup on ESPN hosts - Sal Palantonio and Greg Cosell routinely do it.

Texans-centric only guy I know is Rivers; at least who is methodical with it. I've seen some fans do good jobs with coaches film (76Texan) but access to the ALL 22 is expensive. I wonder if there could be a tip jar of sorts here on the site for such a resource tool. NFL Gamepass says it offers coaches film as soon as the live broadcast is over is it really "only" 49.99?

LOL listen to the guy who hasnt even contributed to this site yet asking for a pitch in for resource tools! SMH at my own damn self!

This is a cool thread because everyone can quickly dispel or validate any rumor of subjective analysis that gets done via video evidence. Promote an atmosphere of learning and advancement instead of rumor and innuendo. I like it.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
If you spend thousands of dollars on season tickets it’s “free”. If I didn’t have season tickets, I think the $99 would be worth it.
I thought so too until I found out what a pain it was to watch the all 22 and then I got tv

powda

You guys seem a bit focused on a tangent. There are posters here already doing it. There are breakdowns already available in the media and YouTube.

This thread has merit. Make it work.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I subscribe to Gamepass. If you ever want a play converted to a gif, let me know and I can give it a try. The site's 10MB limit makes it a little difficult.

I can also give my analysis, but I'm an amateur at best and just taking guesses at what should be happening.

powda

I subscribe to Gamepass. If you ever want a play converted to a gif, let me know and I can give it a try. The site's 10MB limit makes it a little difficult.

I can also give my analysis, but I'm an amateur at best and just taking guesses at what should be happening.
Perfect.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Rivers McCown .. Aaron Wilson .. Brian Baldinger .. Ted Nguyen .. Brandon Thorne .. the NFL Matchup on ESPN hosts - Sal Palantonio and Greg Cosell routinely do it.
I'm looking for something more bohemian. I know there was a guy breaking down his favorite plays on YouTube & I'm looking for something along those lines.

But from a defensive perspective. Someone who is looking for tendencies our team makes for the intent of exploiting it.

Instead of someone saying, "Watch how these elements combine to stress the FS."

I'm wondering if there's a fan out there with too much time on his hands that identifies Texans tendencies, "Here the Texans are lined up in a 3 by 1 split. From here the tend to run quick crossers in short yardage situations. But watch for motion in the backfield, that's usually a sign for.... "

powda

I'm looking for something more bohemian. I know there was a guy breaking down his favorite plays on YouTube & I'm looking for something along those lines.

But from a defensive perspective. Someone who is looking for tendencies our team makes for the intent of exploiting it.

Instead of someone saying, "Watch how these elements combine to stress the FS."

I'm wondering if there's a fan out there with too much time on his hands that identifies Texans tendencies, "Here the Texans are lined up in a 3 by 1 split. From here the tend to run quick crossers in short yardage situations. But watch for motion in the backfield, that's usually a sign for.... "
Your looking for a rare breed. I'd be just happy enough to find anyone posting play cuts. That alone would make this thread worthwhile.

powda

@thunderkyss I'd love to see this thread take off. You may not find the statsistions your looking for ,but play assessment would be great.

powda

statisticians not statsistions :D

Actually I'm the one who should move
I took the cell offering at face value. I can write but I cant spell to save my life.

Where are you moving?

Reactions: JB

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I took the cell offering at face value. I can write but I cant spell to save my life.

Where are you moving?
I'm the opposite... I can spell but not write.

To the drumk thread where I belong

powda

Do we have a portion of posters here ready to post plays?

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Do you know of anyone out there, fan or media, that attempts to break down Texans game film as if they were game planning against the Texans?

I've seen a few who break down game film but they generally focus on the plays that work in the Texans favor & tend to be more fanfluff than anything.
There is a zero chance of accurately breaking down film by anyone not on the team. No one, not on the inside, will ever know the correct protections/reads/blocks/routes/coverages. Everything is a complete guess unless you know the play call

ROO

Tweak the offense already!
So what the heck is this twitter thing and how come my browser won't allow me to play twitter videos? If y'all start doing play analysis with videos from twitter, I guess I'm screwed.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
So what the heck is this twitter thing and how come my browser won't allow me to play twitter videos? If y'all start doing play analysis with videos from twitter, I guess I'm screwed.
Does it play if you go directly to the link instead of the embedded video?

Reactions: ROO

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
There is a zero chance of accurately breaking down film by anyone not on the team. No one, not on the inside, will ever know the correct protections/reads/blocks/routes/coverages. Everything is a complete guess unless you know the play call
I'm pretty sure every team we played studied our game film to develop a plan against us. I hope none of them have a plant on our team.

ROO

Does it play if you go directly to the link instead of the embedded video?
Appreciate the help... Here is what I see... and if I right click on the video, it doesn't do anything, no address. But not sure what you mean by "go directly to the link instead of the embedded video"

Do I have to have a twitter account?
jp.jpg

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Appreciate the help... Here is what I see... and if I right click on the video, it doesn't do anything, no address. But not sure what you mean by "go directly to the link instead of the embedded video"

Do I have to have a twitter account?
View attachment 5242
No, you don't need a twitter account. Looking at the Windows icon on the bottom left, it appears you're running Windows 7 and maybe Internet Explorer 11. Looks like it might be an issue with Twitter and IE 11. Do you have another browser? Firefox or Chrome? Otherwise, we might need another method of posting the breakdowns from Twitter accounts.

ROO

No, you don't need a twitter account. Looking at the Windows icon on the bottom left, it appears you're running Windows 7 and maybe Internet Explorer 11. Looks like it might be an issue with Twitter and IE 11. Do you have another browser? Firefox or Chrome? Otherwise, we might need another method of posting the breakdowns from Twitter accounts.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to download Firefox and see if that changes anything.

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible

Yeah, same have Gamepass and have posted some screen captures and gifs. Hard to post a gif of a play directly in the site as most will hit 20-50 MBs to get any length/quality. The site does allow you to link directly to Imgur which is free.

Screen to Gif is really simple to use with Gamepass (and also free). If people have specific things they would like to see or discuss let me know, I don't mind recording them.

CWTexansFan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Contributor's Club
Still shots here are pretty much a nonstarter for me. Also, close in video where you cant decipher the defense is basically useless.
How come I receive security errors whenever I try to like any of your posts, yet have no problems when i dislike them?

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Here's a play I'd like some feedback on. It was 2nd & 10 on the Texans first offensive drive (after the Reid int).

It looks like a designed jet sweep the whole way. I don't think there was an option to pass the ball at all because both Tunsil and Martin appear to release right away and they would have been illegal receivers downfield. Also, Fuller appears to be in block mode right from the start.

A couple of questions:
  • This plays was blown up by Suh, as he got to Stills fast and appears to have at least help cause the incompletion. Was it designed to let Suh go free? Was Tunsil supposed to at least give a chip before he releases? Seems odd to me that Suh was allowed to go untouched.
  • Hyde appears to not know the play. He runs right pass the LB and appears to look back ready for a pass. Instead, the LB was in prime position to make the tackle on Stills for a TFL. Hard to imagine Hyde's role there was to not block that LB.

tb-jet-sweep.gif

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Here's a play I'd like some feedback on. It was 2nd & 10 on the Texans first offensive drive (after the Reid int).

It looks like a designed jet sweep the whole way. I don't think there was an option to pass the ball at all because both Tunsil and Martin appear to release right away and they would have been illegal receivers downfield. Also, Fuller appears to be in block mode right from the start.

A couple of questions:
  • This plays was blown up by Suh, as he got to Stills fast and appears to have at least help cause the incompletion. Was it designed to let Suh go free? Was Tunsil supposed to at least give a chip before he releases? Seems odd to me that Suh was allowed to go untouched.
  • Hyde appears to not know the play. He runs right pass the LB and appears to look back ready for a pass. Instead, the LB was in prime position to make the tackle on Stills for a TFL. Hard to imagine Hyde's role there was to not block that LB.

View attachment 5243
Yeah, it's not uncommon to "option" a defensive linemen.
The Texans were probably hoping that Suh would zero-in on Watson.
(Which I think is idiotic with a pitch; a hand off would at least give Suh something to think about, even if just for a fraction of a second.)

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Yeah, it's not uncommon to "option" a defensive linemen.
The Texans were probably hoping that Suh would zero-in on Watson.
(Which I think is idiotic with a pitch; a hand off would at least give Suh something to think about, even if just for a fraction of a second.)
Maybe if the exchange was perfectly clean, then Suh would have been a non-factor in the play. But what do you think Hyde is doing? He was supposed to block the LB, right?

Texansballer74

The Marine
Maybe if the exchange was perfectly clean, then Suh would have been a non-factor in the play. But what do you think Hyde is doing? He was supposed to block the LB, right?
Looks like he thought it was a passing play. A trick play in which Stills throws him the ball.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Looked to me that Hyde just missed the block and was looking back to see how badly he screwed up... or he just didn't know the play

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

A couple of questions:

View attachment 5243
That is interesting. Hop doesn't come off the line at all % Akins runs a route.