Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Brandin Cooks to the Texans

So I'm listening to this morning's 610 broadcast & they speculate for a minute... maybe Easterby wanted Cooks from the get go. Which leads me to question if they accepted the deal for Hopkins because it was enough to get Cooks.

So they traded Hopkins for Cooks, David Johnson & 17 spots up in the 2nd round. Basically.

I don't like "coupling" trades to make them feel better. They should be evaluated singularly.

We were fleeced in the hopkins trade and no number of trades after that will undo it.

So I'm listening to this morning's 610 broadcast & they speculate for a minute... maybe Easterby wanted Cooks from the get go. Which leads me to question if they accepted the deal for Hopkins because it was enough to get Cooks.

So they traded Hopkins for Cooks, David Johnson & 17 spots up in the 2nd round. Basically.
This is certainly the end result, at least so far. Actually, I'm not liking the 40 pick now. I'd rather trade down for an extra 3 or possibly another low 2.

This is certainly the end result, at least so far. Actually, I'm not liking the 40 pick now. I'd rather trade down for an extra 3 or possibly another low 2.
I agree with you, for two reasons. One, O'Brien doesn't want to start a rookie. The guy at #40 won't play much, unless there is an injury. Two, the value in this draft is in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

So I'm listening to this morning's 610 broadcast & they speculate for a minute... maybe Easterby wanted Cooks from the get go.
Yep, I think @Earl34 made a reference to that right after the trade. Out with that nasty, baby mamaing, bad teammate Hopkins. In with good guy, Easterby lovin' Cooks. Have to have the right "culture", whatever that is.

Easterby, aka Preacher Man, aka Rasputin, has become #1B in the organization. When this **** goes bad, Easterby will be also known as Last Man Standing.

Yep, I think @Earl34 made a reference to that right after the trade. Out with that nasty, baby mamaing, bad teammate Hopkins. In with good guy, Easterby lovin' Cooks. Have to have the right "culture", whatever that is.

Easterby, aka Preacher Man, aka Rasputin, has become #1B in the organization. When this **** goes bad, Easterby will be also known as Last Man Standing.

I'm not certain how a guidance counselor leaches himself into the control he has but when this "jump the shark" episode of the Texans ends he better get kicked out the door.

This franchise is an embarrassment. We may not be perceived that way nationally yet but it's only because they don't know any better. At best, we are the Cleveland browns.

At least they made it to the Western conference finals. How far has the Texans made it in the playoffs? When was the last time the Rockets were a lottery team? I do remember the Texans going 4-12 .

I'm upset with Obrien because he's gutting the darn team due to personal reasoning.
I think O'Brien traded Clowney for personal reasons Plus his contract demands. I do not think it was personal with Hopkins.

This darn dude is still not factoring that trashy ash offensive line. Your quarterback has to have time to get it to these fast receivers who will be going deep on almost every play. And Warring has to beat out Fells and Atkins first before hyping him up. Right now Fells has that position on lock.
most fans recognized the offensive line should be much better than last year without any of the added players. warring does not have to be better than sales or beat him out. We have A history of two tight end sets.

Reactions: JB
Lol @ BOB

On the positive note, the team gotten quicker.

I guess with wr pretty much done, we can focus on defense in the draft
perhaps, but if at 3.90 Claypool is still there I would not be to put out if he is selected. He could be perfect replacement for Will Fuller and give #4 huge , fast target he doesn't now have.

TEXANS SENT:
WR- Hopkins (His FULL contract- 40M 3 Yrs / Non-Guaranteed / -0- Dead Cap Money)
2020 RD2-057
2020 RD4-131

TEXANS RECEIVE:
RB- Johnson (His FULL contract- 18.2M 2 Yrs / 14.4M Dead Cap Money)
WR- Cooks (His FULL contract- 48M 4 Yrs / 8M Dead Cap Money)
2021 (ARI) RD4
2022 (LAR) RD4
**Contracts based on remaining money from 2020 season**

This is why NO ONE (Sports Analyst wise) has anything positive to say about these 2 moves by OB. The Hopkins to Cardinals deal WAS NOT the best deal on the table....it was the quickest deal available, that was on the table. If OB is saying this was the best being offered, then I'd be happy to call him a liar to his face......or dumbarse, whichever shoe fits.

Last edited:
Hard to get excited for such a huge dropoff in talent from Nuk to Cooks. I can't believe they took on that contract for a 2nd, it's terrible after this year.
Perhaps you should look at the contract? Its non-guaranteed after this year and he can be cut with no dead money to the team. Basically it's a one-year deal for 8 million dollars. It is actually a brilliant move if He remains healthy and has a another 1000 yard seasons as he has three out of the last four.

I'm not certain how a guidance counselor leaches himself into the control he has but when this "jump the shark" episode of the Texans ends he better get kicked out the door.

This franchise is an embarrassment. We may not be perceived that way nationally yet but it's only because they don't know any better. At best, we are the Cleveland browns.

OB as in Fonzi......naw, more like Super Dave Osborn.

Perhaps you should look at the contract? Its non-guaranteed after this year and he can be cut with no dead money to the team. Basically it's a one-year deal for 8 million dollars. It is actually a brilliant move if He remains healthy and has a another 1000 yard seasons as he has three out of the last four.

I've noticed that "if" and "hope" have become very important terms when discussing what Johnson and Cook may bring to the Texans......never remember if and hope being used when describing Hopkins' role in any upcoming season.

Last edited:
Well, when you begin searching ahead to our cap situation, we just made it difficult to make room for Watson and Tunsil, which either means losing on or both, the end of JJ Watt as a Texan, or that you have to analyse the Cooks and Johnson deals as 1 year rentals rather than long term value.

This team is fucked for talent for a very long time.
100 percent wrong as both Tunsil and Watson can fit in our cap space and that does not count adjustments like cutting Kelemete and Fulton. Disregard the average per year figures that are be throwing around as agents and athletes look at only the guaranteed money. For example, Tunsil lowers his 2020 cap from $10 to $2 adding 8 to out current 18= $26 space. He gets $60 million GTD. The 26 is added to Watson's current $3 m for $29 m this year. Even that can be less by making the 29 a sign bonus to spread over contract.

most fans recognized the offensive line should be much better than last year without any of the added players. warring does not have to be better than sales or beat him out. We have A history of two tight end sets.

He has three TE's in front of him. He will get some snaps. But those three will get the bulk unless he beats them out.

So you feel great about shipping a 2020 RD2-57 bpick out the door for a potential 1 year rental that should have some health concerns attached?

I don't care what OB was thinking about this move but it was ignorant on all counts based on the promise of the receivers in ths draft class. If Cook fails to produce a 1K season, the Texans don't have to worry b/c they can just cut him. Man, I would've had a heck of a lot more value attached to the RD2-57 pick.

So you feel great about shipping a 2020 RD2-57 bpick out the door for a potential 1 year rental that should have some health concerns attached?

I don't care what OB was thinking about this move but it was ignorant on all counts based on the promise of the receivers in ths draft class. If Cook fails to produce a 1K season, the Texans don't have to worry b/c they can just cut him. Man, I would've had a heck of a lot more value attached to the RD2-57 pick.
I have not decided yet if I would have made the trade but Cooks should be better than WR we could get at 2.57.

Come on Powda, it has been talked to death and you know it you just don't like it. I don't either but that doesn't negate it.

Dont be frisky. Say what's on your mind.

Your justification for a historically stupid trade is:

last time.. health whether he missed games or not he is higher risk this season; demand for $20 million per year; if extended does it open other players to similar demands 2 seasons into a contract; questionable role model for Watson with "baby mommas" issue; unable to get separation as he had in past. Evidently a plan O'Brien cobbled together when deciding to trade Hop's 4.57 speed for much faster WR corps. This all has been discussed a lot. Not saying I agree but it does not have to be personal. It could have been a Cal McNair order also.

I'll fill in the excuse: Nuk wanted more money. . .(LIKE EVERY OTHER PLAYER IN THE NFL). . .

The Texans held all the cards under the new CBA. Nuk couldn't hold out without a massive financial penalty. Either O'Brien is ignorant as a GM to not know this, or, he had other non-financial reason(s) behind it.

Either way, he's a pathetic pro football executive. And that's saying something nice about him.

last time.. health whether he missed games or not he is higher risk this season; demand for $20 million per year; if extended does it open other players to similar demands 2 seasons into a contract; questionable role model for Watson with "baby mommas" issue; unable to get separation as he had in past. Evidently a plan O'Brien cobbled together when deciding to trade Hop's 4.57 speed for much faster WR corps. This all has been discussed a lot. Not saying I agree but it does not have to be personal. It could have been a Cal McNair order also.

I hope you include, "Handle With Care" or "FRAGILE" when describing the receiving corps. Yes, they're fast.....fast porcelain dolls.

Sorry. I wanted a payoff to justify this trade. That isnt it.

Tell me O'Brien is profoundly narcissistic. I'd buy that.

I'll fill in the excuse: Nuk wanted more money. . .(LIKE EVERY OTHER PLAYER IN THE NFL). . .

The Texans held all the cards under the new CBA. Nuk couldn't hold out without a massive financial penalty. Either O'Brien is ignorant as a GM to not know this, or, he had other non-financial reason(s) behind it.

Either way, he's a pathetic pro football executive. And that's saying something nice about him.
But the real question is, why are there fans rushing in to defend the organization against what was clearly a massive blunder by GM and ownership? One excuse someone here came up with was Hopkins was on the verge of breaking down. Now that’s some serious undeserved loyalty, when you dig that deep to defend people that don’t give a damn about you, only your money. It’s akin to that condition, I forget the name where hostages begin to sympathize with their captors.

But the real question is, why are there fans rushing in to defend the organization against what was clearly a massive blunder by GM and ownership? One excuse someone here came up with was Hopkins was on the verge of breaking down. Now that’s some serious undeserved loyalty, when you dig that deep to defend people that don’t give a damn about you, only your money. It’s akin to that condition, I forget the name where hostages begin to sympathize with their captors.

I don't get it, other than just blind loyalty to a logo without logic or reason.

Stockholm syndrome.

I don't get it, other than just blind loyalty to a logo without logic or reason.

Stockholm syndrome.

Many people are taught to blindly defend (especially in public) their family, race, religion, political party, etc and that carries over to something as big world unimportant as a sports team.

Sorry. I wanted a payoff to justify this trade. That isnt it.

Tell me O'Brien is profoundly narcissistic. I'd buy that.
Sure but each of us gets to decide what a satisfactory payoff means. Texans only ones to count..but hey everyone, ***** on!

I did not agree with trading Hop as I've repeatedly said but I am open to listening to other POV. I don't allow my negative view and wanting OBrien to leave to color my processing. Reminds me of being a juror.

Hopkins is an amazing talent. We got scraps in return.

It doesn't matter if O'Brien was our coach or Belichick. It was a bad trade.

Post those comments from people wanting Cooks so we can ridicule them a second time.

Deep WR class coming up and O’Brien trades a 2nd round pick for a guy with concussion issues. Did heforget about CJF?

It may be fairly deep. But, like other positions, I wonder how many of the "self-administered Pro Day" times are valid. BTW, yesterday, a friend of mine timed my 40 in my backyard at 2.99 seconds............I'm first turning it into Ripley's............then I'm going to put my hat in the ring as a walk-on . :D

Some people are not weighing the what if’s. Just like the Tunsil situation, what if he bounces for a much better offer. What if he holds out , trying to force the Texans hand. You lose out and then wtf we lost two first round picks and a second.

It may be fairly deep. But, like other positions, I wonder how many of the "self-administered Pro Day" times are valid. BTW, yesterday, a friend of mine timed my 40 in my backyard at 2.99 seconds............I'm first turning it into Ripley's............then I'm going to put my hat in the ring as a walk-on . :D
I'd buy your jersey. Thats about the only way the Texans see any more of my money for awhile.

Assuming you dont have a dozen children with a buncha mommas you would probably help the team!

Assuming you dont have a dozen children with a buncha mommas you would probably help the team!

Imagine how groundbreaking this could be? Envision defensive coordinators watching the 1 wr in the league who wears a lab coat over his jersey.

Picture their confusion trying to stop him...

"What the hell is a scalpel route?"

I dont know but he's always open.

(Had to edit hoping @CloakNNNdagger sees it and it brightens his day.)

Last edited:
Hopkins is an amazing talent. We got scraps in return.

It doesn't matter if O'Brien was our coach or Belichick. It was a bad trade.

Exactly and I don't want to hear it's about Hopkins wanting a new contract, baby mommas or not practicing or trying to assassinate his character. People would be less upset if O'Brien would have gotten fair value for Hopkins. They didn't have to trade Hopkins and they didn't have to redo his contract.

Players with 3 years left on their contracts do not have any leverage. Hell, if he wants out of the contract, put the impetus on Hopkins and his agent to find the deal. They could have told him, "At this time, we cannot redo your contract. However, your agent can shop around and if he can get a first rounder and your new team will redo your contract, we will make that trade." Otherwise, he stays and plays on the contract.

Just call it a bad trade and move on. If they wanted Hopkins on the team, he would be here with or without a renegotiated contract.

Last edited:
If OB is saying this was the best being offered, then I'd be happy to call him a liar to his face......or dumbarse, whichever shoe fits.
I hate BO’b. But that’s not what he is saying. He’s saying he did what was in the best interest of the team. He didn’t explain what that meant, but that’s what he said.

IMO, Cooks is not a replacement for Hopkins. But, Cooks & Johnson, if the can return to form, that’s not a bad trade. Plus we move up 17 spots in the draft.

Considering what both players did last season, the trade is ridiculously stupid.

Exactly and I don't want to hear it's about Hopkins wanting a new contract, baby mommas or not practicing or trying to assassinate his character. People would be less upset if O'Brien would have gotten fair value for Hopkins. They didn't have to trade Hopkins and they didn't have to redo his contract.

Players with 3 years left on their contracts do not have any leverage. Hell, if he wants out of the contract, put the impetus on Hopkins and his agent to find the deal. They could have told him, "At this time, we cannot redo your contract. However, your agent can shop around and if he can get a first rounder and your new team will redo your contract, we will make that trade." Otherwise, he stays and plays on the contract.

Just call it a bad trade and move on. If they wanted Hopkins on the team, he would be here with or without a renegotiated contract.

Spot mutha joker on. Back in the days we use to say ,” you’re keeping it trill “.

For those that don’t understand, here it is in Barney’s term “ that’s the real deal”.

Some won’t understand that Earl. Good stuff bro.

I hate BO’b. But that’s not what he is saying. He’s saying he did what was in the best interest of the team. He didn’t explain what that meant, but that’s what he said.

IMO, Cooks is not a replacement for Hopkins. But, Cooks & Johnson, if the can return to form, that’s not a bad trade. Plus we move up 17 spots in the draft.

Considering what both players did last season, the trade is ridiculously stupid.

It wouldn’t matter if the dude gave a dissertation on what he meant by it, and showed them every transaction and offer for Nuk they recieved.

You’ve now reached the point where people are so angry that they ACTUALLY believe that this dude is trying to sabotage the team. Think about that for a sec.

funny thing is they don’t even understand that these are the type of moves they should be rooting for b/c if they don’t work out, it puts him on a faster track to getting outta here.

Back