Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Brandin Cooks to the Texans

Some are trying to blame the young quarterback for that. Some are trying to blame the offensive line.

Gurley never recovered from his injury.

Pointing out that the Rams offense as a whole sucked last yr isn't playing the blame game. It's pointing out the truth. Regardless of how you try to spin your narrative.

Did you read your own post? You make an argument and follow it with a disclaimer again and again and again.

Is cooks overpaid? Does he have injury concerns?

Those are simple questions.

At 8 mil not really and being able to get out of the deal is big.

Since he's only missed 2 games in 5 yrs my answer is no

Did you read your own post? You make an argument and follow it with a disclaimer again and again and again.

Yes I read my own post and the “disclaimers” were intended.

They are simple questions that have been answered you just don’t like the answers.

No, by your own post 8 million is not an over pay.

No, based on the opinion of a medical expert Cooks does not have any greater injury concerns than any other NFL player and actually less than most that have been playing as long as he has.

Imo concussions are always serious business. I just hope after his career is over with he will be ok and continue to live a great life.

So CnnD broke down his concussions. 1 wasn't a concussion. Two, he cleared protocol the next day. I'm just a dude reading sht on the internet, but it sounds like 3 of the 5 were of the mild kind.

Not like Kevin Johnson who has no business suiting up. But we'll see.

They are simple questions that have been answered you just don’t like the answers.

No, based on the opinion of a medical expert Cooks does not have any greater injury concerns than any other NFL player and actually less than most that have been playing as long as he has.

So 5 concussions doesn't matter and paying cooks 12 million to do what a guy paid 846k did is of no concern to you?

Go back and look at Cooks catches over the last 5 yrs (I know he had a bad yr last yr due to circumstances out of his control.) and tell me how many guys that have been picked at 57 have outperfomed Cooks numbers in their rookie yr. In fact Cooks numbers are more 1st rd worthy than 57 worthy.
Why don't we talk about the Cooks the Texans traded for? Who was outperformed by multiple rookies last year.

Last season, 8 rookie WRs had more receiving yards than Brandin Cooks. 10 rookies had more TD receptions.

The entire Rams offense sucked.
The #4 passing offense. Robert Woods put up 1100 yards receiving. Cooper Kupp put up 1100 yards. Cooks failed to get to 600. If there is a reason the the Rams offense under performed from the previous season, point to Brandin Cooks as the reason.

And why wasn't the Texans offense more successful? Was it the talent or the scheme?

They were successful when WFV was healthy.

With Cooks you dont have to worry about WFV's injury history as much and if everybody stays healthy this will be the most dynamic (Threat to score every time one of these guys gets the ball in their hands type of dynamic.) in franchise history.

Why don't we talk about the Cooks the Texans traded for? Who was outperformed by multiple rookies last year.

The #4 passing offense. Robert Woods put up 1100 yards receiving. Cooper Kupp put up 1100 yards. Cooks failed to get to 600. If there is a reason the the Rams offense under performed from the previous season, point to Brandin Cooks as the reason.

Or it could've been Gurley/OL being hurt.

They were successful when WFV was healthy.

With Cooks you dont have to worry about WFV's injury history as much and if everybody stays healthy this will be the most dynamic (Threat to score every time one of these guys gets the ball in their hands type of dynamic.) in franchise history.

Here where we are you either fall into one of 2 categories.

You either believe obrien is best for the team or...

You believe Watson is best for the team.

I know where you stand. I have no faith in O'Brien.

I think that's an easy response on your part. The hard part is saying your wrong.

What in the blue Hell am I wrong about? You said you were fine with paying 8 million, well all we are paying him is 8 million. You said you were concerned for the injury history well CnD broke that down. Your problem is you don’t actually have a valid reason now and so you are going with trying to spin it and repeating the same questions that have been answered multiple times.

What in the blue Hell am I wrong about? You said you were fine with paying 8 million, well all we are paying him is 8 million. You said you were concerned for the injury history well CnD broke that down. Your problem is you don’t actually have a valid reason now and so you are going with trying to spin it and repeating the same questions that have been answered multiple times.

My questions haven't been answered multiple times and your welcome to look up thread and quote where they were.

OK, I'll jump in here, also. No he's not overpaid at $8M. His performance 2015 - 2018 deserves this. He had a down year last year which has been discussed. Doctors cleared him to play and there seemly is not a higher risk going forward. He finished the season with 3 sound games to lead into this coming season.

His contract allows him to be cut in 2021 without any dead money if he doesn't play up to expectations. If he plays as expected then his base salary of $12M, $13M and $14M is acceptable.

And does he have injury concerns? No, based on CnnnD's analysis.

Cooks has suffered 5 known concussions in his NfL career, including two last season (within a 25 day period) and one the year before. He also left Super Bowl LII with a concussion while playing for the Patriots, making this his fourth in less than 3 years.

Normally, with this history, you would expect that he would be a very high risk for subsequent concussions. But his case is very unique. All of his concussions were grade I with his symptoms totally disappearing the day after the trauma. And his 2014 concussion was later deemed not to officially be a concussion at all......the Saints later admitted that they were being extra careful with their 1st round pick.

It is important to note, that in his NFL career, he has played 88 of 96 games..........and only 2 of his missed games were due to concussion (his 2nd last year within 25 days......therefore, extra precaution despite being mild).

Understand that while I cannot predict his future with exact numbers, it is concerning any time a player sustains a concussion, and he is likely some increased risk for low grade concussion in the future............ but a grade I properly treated leaves virtually no residual effects and little increased risk for subsequent major concussion.
Texans are paying only 8 this year with no dead money afterwards
I was responding to your comment that you could stomach 8 mil a year... are you shifting on that?
I don't think it's either.

Not outrageous, you think we are overpaying him. But to compare him to JuJu on his rookie deal is hitting below the belt.

I don't agree with you. You know these contracts aren't based on a single season. Career wise, it looks about right to me.

Now the question I have is why did his production (as well as Gurly's) drop so drastically.
To me it is not accurate. To you it may be
Ok you don’t like the deal, fair enough. However it’s your reasons for why you say you don’t like the deal that I’m having a hard time understanding. At first you said it was how much we are paying him but you said you would be fine with 8 million. Well 8 million is how much we have to pay him so what’s the issue?

Next it was injury history which I also had a lot of concerns about so I asked the resident expert. I know you read the post so it seems that his injury history is being over blown and that he’s not any more at risk for a career ending injury than any other player. So if injury history isn’t as big a concern, according to a medical professional who is usually very tough on NFL doctors, then what’s the issue?

Ok then it was that it cost us a second round pick. I know many on here have said we could have got him for a 3rd or 4th but when asked where those numbers came from the only answer is basically out of thin air based on the idea OB always over pays so in other words their backsides. What is fact is that Pats gave up a 1st for him and then Rams gave up a 1st for him. I don’t believe he would have been worth a 1st this time but based on his value history a 2nd seems right on the mark so what’s the issue?

Finally it was his production dropped off but so did Gurly’s and every other offensive player on the Rams this season so maybe there was a bigger issue. Personally I think it’s Geoff who seems to have started phoning it in since he got paid. I will agree with you his numbers aren’t as high as Hopkins but part of that is Watson targets Hopkins 3 out of every 5 passes. Not saying I blame him, I would target the WR that makes QBs look good to, but it does bloat Hopkins numbers. So if his last season, where every Rams player looked bad, isn’t a representation of the player what’s the issue?
again, salary is only 8m for 2020

Read an experts note on Cook

Since he's only missed 2 games in 5 yrs my answer is no
Not overpaid based on his career.

I'm curious about his concussions, but
I'm not convinced it's a serious issue.

My questions haven't been answered multiple times and your welcome to look up thread and quote where they were.

There Powda is that enough answers for you?

There Powda is that enough answers for you?

Bro, you just quoted doc saying his concussions have some concern. Check your own quote.

And I compared cooks production to ju ju's at the salary of 846k. So dont tell me he isn't overpriced at 12 m per year.

Getting out of the deal is big? Billy Oh just traded a 2nd round pick that will give production at a cost of $5 million over the next 4 years? And you think cutting Cooks after a year is a good idea? Cooks will cost $47 million against the cap over the next 4 years. $42 million more than that 2nd round pick. If Rick Smith had made this deal, you would have crucified him for it.

Bro, you just quoted doc saying his concussions have some concern. Check your own quote.

And I compared cooks production to ju ju's at the salary of 846k. So dont tell me he isn't overpriced at 12 m per year.

And I’m done, when you literally take less than a sentence of CnD’s post and claim it as support for your arguement while ignoring the ENTIRE rest of the post I know you have simply set your mind to something and not interesting in an actual discussion.

Getting out of the deal is big? Billy Oh just trading a 2nd round pick that will give production at a cost of $5 million over the next 4 years? And you think cutting Cooks after a year is a good idea? Cooks will cost $47 million against the cap over the next 4 years. $42 million more than that 2nd round pick. If Rick Smith had made this deal, you would have crucified him for it.

We're either cutting Cooks or taking on the 3 massive last years of his deal.

That's not "big" that's terrible.

Worth a 5th round pick at best

Tweet from @TexansCap: Without factoring in the 2021/2022 extra 4th rounders. With the two trades between Arizona and Los Angeles; Houston takes on an additional $7.893 million in cap dollars in 2020.

A new contract for Hopkins would eat into 60-70% of that if he remained in Houston.

So it cost 30-40% more to take on these washed up guys than just pay Hopkins

And I’m done, when you literally take less than a sentence of CnD’s post and claim it as support for your arguement while ignoring the ENTIRE rest of the post I know you have simply set your mind to something and not interesting in an actual discussion.

And you ignore the one sentence that matters.

Getting out of the deal is big? Billy Oh just traded a 2nd round pick that will give production at a cost of $5 million over the next 4 years? And you think cutting Cooks after a year is a good idea? Cooks will cost $47 million against the cap over the next 4 years. $42 million more than that 2nd round pick. If Rick Smith had made this deal, you would have crucified him for it.

Roto world is reporting that the Rams are eating 21.8 mil in dead money on Cooks deal.

If this doesn't work out I will crucify BOB too. That make you happy?

The hurdles O'Brien apologists will jump to defend this guy.

1270ed.jpg

More alarming is that in 2021, Watson, Tunsil, Fuller and Cunningham are free agents and the Texans only have $55 million in capspace.

I'm not sure when 12 million or even 8 million a year became acceptable for a wr producing the same as a guy making 846k.

I didn't know 42 receptions a year was the benchmark for the hof.

I also didnt know 5 concussions was an afterthought and not a "health concern."

But you guys carry on.

More alarming is that in 2021, Watson, Tunsil, Fuller and Cunningham are free agents and the Texans only have $55 million in capspace.

$30 million for Watson
$20 million for Tunsil

Then???

The games haven't been played... no one knows how it will go

He does, LMAO

I actually like the new WR corps. Speed kills and the Texans aren't tied into any of these guys long term or having to give out 100 mil contracts with 50-60 mil guaranteed.

Sure. There's no telling what the pass distribution will be or who will be Watson's go to guy, But 55 or 60 receptions for the year would meet expectations. Like every player, his season will be graded. If your question was if he caught only 40 passes, then the reasons will be reflected in his grade and will be taken into consideration for his retention or release in 2021.

Back