Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

BL 2019 Texan Mock

So Gaine will work the phones for a trade partner, if nothing pops in 10 minutes or less the Texans, per Gaine would select highest graded player still left on their board. Your saying Josh Jacobs would then be the Texans pick.

Potential trades in the 1st are often in place before the draft like when we almost traded up for Patrick Peterson.

Guess I should have been explicit. IMO Dillard & Jacobs are close enough on talent that need can prevail if Dillard is available. If not, yes Jacobs.

Reactions: JB
Potential trades in the 1st are often in place before the draft like when we almost traded up for Patrick Peterson.

Guess I should have been explicit. IMO Dillard & Jacobs are close enough on talent need can prevail if Dillard is available. If not, yes Jacobs.

Dillard is off the board, probably top 15 pick, Vikings latest @ #18 I think. It came down to only Jacobs and Kaleb for me. First draft took Jacobs. Then tried trading down, with Patriots, but that move down was only worth 170 points or near end of 3rd. Just not worth it IMO. So made executive decision without Gaine, to go with OT. I think a lot of teams might offer more than the chart allows but really shy away from trades in mock drafts.

Dillard is off the board, probably top 15 pick, Vikings latest @ #18 I think. It came down to only Jacobs and Kaleb for me. First draft took Jacobs. Then tried trading down, with Patriots, but that move down was only worth 170 points or near end of 3rd. Just not worth it IMO. So made executive decision without Gaine, to go with OT. I think a lot of teams might offer more than the chart allows but really shy away from trades in mock drafts.

Even a late 3rd I'd lean trade but have no criticism for not doing it.

Agree with you about trades in mocks.

Every year I check out many of the trades against the chart. It has held very true generally with a slight tendency to overpay by the team trading up.

Reactions: JB
We could re-exam last year’s draft class, first year of O’Brian/Gaine Combo and see there was some talent left on the board. Hindsight is 20/20.
I’m not one to rehash something that cannot be changed with a bunch of what if’s. So let’s see if you can play along with this little exercise and maybe revisit after the actual draft into next season & grade how well it went.

I’m playing O’Brian, since these mock draft picks seem aligned with personal he might agree with and you can play Gaine, the checks and balances guy?

First Round. O’Brian wants a mauler OT. Right side has only Henderson who is coming off season ending surgery and your starting RT (Lamm) has left via free agency. Your going to tell Bill no, that board says there is a higher graded player available, to which Bill responds, can we trade down and still get McGary to which you reply -

If we are talking RT prospect who would you rather have: Mcgary or Ford? I think Ford’s availability depends on the Titans taking him or Bradbury.

If Jonah Williams and Dillard/Greedy are off the board ideally find a trade partner. But if not I could get behind solidifying RT in Mcgary/Ford. Risner more of an early round 2 guy just a tick behind the other two but he could also contribute to the identity shift too. Doing that i’d like to go back with RB earlier to make sure we do everything needed to have a strong running game.

What is the likelihood Greg Little will be at our 2nd round pick to get the bookend OTs? I don’t want him at 23 even though his talent says take him there. Seems like he doesn’t have that finisher mentality of the other prospects.

If we are talking RT prospect who would you rather have: Mcgary or Ford? I think Ford’s availability depends on the Titans taking him or Bradbury.

I don't really want either at 23, or any purely RT/OG prospect, but of the two give me Ford. Would rather 23 be a RB (Jacobs) or CB or IDL (Wilkins).

Ford has some serious sand in his pants, he will probably end up being elite OG who can win in a phone booth

McGary is a natural knee bender despite being 6’7” tall, he will wind up on the edge regardless which side, who eats up space.

Last edited:
Working through my first round mock on NFL Predict the pick and have Jonah Williams going 8th to Detroit, Jawaan Taylor #9 to Bills, Andre Dillard #10 to Broncos and Dalton Risner #22 to the Ravens. McGary is best tackle available on my board but think Texans would probably trade down then draft him while adding another selection. If they don't, they have to make the pick, BPA is Greedy Williams, CB, LSU

In conclusion. The team who needs to trade up is the New England Patriots to get their TE, who I believe, is Noah Fant, jumping ahead of Raiders and Packers. Texans should only do this if trade favors them value wise. Difference 170 points (between 23/32) in return Gaine New England 3rd pick #73 (225). Then Select McGary with the 32nd pick.

Last edited:
Working through my first round mock on NFL Predict the pick and have Jonah Williams going 8th to Detroit, Jawaan Taylor #9 to Bills, Andre Dillard #10 to Broncos and Dalton Risner #22 to the Ravens. McGary is best tackle available on my board but think Texans would probably trade down then draft him while adding another selection. If they don't, they have to make the pick, BPA is Greedy Williams, CB, LSU

In conclusion. The team who needs to trade up is the New England Patriots to get their TE, who I believe, is Noah Fant, jumping ahead of Raiders and Packers. Texans should only do this if trade favors them value wise. Difference 170 points (between 23/32) in return Gaine New England 3rd pick #73 (225). Then Select McGary with the 32nd pick.

Ravens could also trade down in an effort to gain a 2nd and let a team leapfrog Texans to take the OL they are targeting. Problem with such obvious holes on roster.

Back