Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

BL 2019 Texan Mock

beerlover

Hall of Fame
This Mock is twofold, one of fantasy other of realism. Limited selections to prospects who visited or had some direct contact with Texans organization. No trades, though very tempted.

23. Kaleb McGary, OT, Washington 6-7 317
Tackles always go higher than we think. Kaleb just visited Saturday (yesterday) Enforcer type, plays nasty, physical keeps his upper body quiet, lower body re-positioning staying in total balance. Could get cute and trade down but based off tape and interview he is Texan worthy to become franchise left tackle. Get out of the club.
https://binged.it/2Gb54wG
54. Amani Oruwariye, CB, Penn State 6-2 205

Think Texans will wait until the second round to address secondary but when they do it could be in a big way. Could step in and make immediate impact as rookie, smart and disciplined with ideal size. https://binged.it/2GgURyV

55. Darnell Savage, Safety, Maryland, 5-11 198

Don't expect to get both db picks right here together and would be happy with one, Darnell is a speed guy, ran a 4.37 and is Andre Hal 2.0 on steroids. Would like to pair him with Reid, if powers that be like another ball hawking safety.
https://binged.it/2GhkRtV

86. Connor McGovern, OL/Center Penn State 6-5 308

O'Brian's got to love this mock with two Nittnay Lions & Steelbtexan will love two OL in first three rounds. Experience left/right guard as well as natural fit next level Center position. These four players could combine to quickly become starters coming out of camp next season and all replace or upgrade counterparts.
https://binged.it/2GbCifs
161. Trysten Hill, DT, UCF 6-3 308

Rated 182nd prospect according to CBS, hard to believe, but I'll take him if he is there, just visite Texans, so if McGovern is gone they may select him there. No problems. Really explosive off the snap, great bend for size and athletic ability. Had run in with law early freshman year but seems totally clean since and hard worker in practices.
https://binged.it/2GjpTpA

195. John Cominsky, DE, University of Charleston

Took notice @ combine so did tape search of this division II prospect and liked enough what I saw to draft him day 3 of draft. Developmental, 3-4 end and core special teams player, gets washed out at times and neutralized by double teams but high motor/character that doesn't ever give up on play.

220. Wes Hillis, RB, Slippery Rock 6-2 218

Plays hard, good speed to edge and can return kicks. As I wrap this badboy up, Tiger wins his 5th Green Jacket, more that changes more that stays the same. Always enjoyable waste of time but fun to dream, dream big like a Texan.
https://binged.it/2GeFNBF

Last edited:

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Bit surprised at the lack of attention given to Oruwariye. He's not perfect, not that any cb in this draft is, but the number of boxes he checks combined with his holes being such coachable ones ... ya, looks like a really solid fit to me too.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Limited selections to prospects who visited or had some direct contact with Texans organization.
Why? Far too limiting IMO.

Could get cute and trade down but based off tape and interview he is Texan worthy to become franchise left tackle.
Dude has never played LT & his biggest knock is foot speed/lateral quickness. Many including LZ project him to G not flipping to the harder side.

Not knocking the pick per se, but that's 2 OL who are substantially better run blockers than pass (and another position switch).

In the doghouse, public complaints, work ethic questions, "opinionated," "big talker." Not sure I'm buying this one.

Way too late for a RB IMO.

beerlover

Hall of Fame

Dude has never played LT & his biggest knock is foot speed/lateral quickness. Many including LZ project him to G not flipping to the harder side.

Not knocking the pick per se, but that's 2 OL who are substantially better run blockers than pass (and another position switch).

In the doghouse, public complaints, work ethic questions, "opinionated," "big talker." Not sure I'm buying this one.

Gave Josh Jacobs serious consideration, would be great selection too or maybe another team would want to trade up for him? But decided not to do a trade down scenario either and just focus on a long term tackle solution. Really feel positive about Kaleb, even more than I thought. Felt like a weight lifted off my shoulders to finally sign off on a tackle that was realistic.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

I get it that we need "complete" type guys on the line, but if Texans can re-establish the run game, the passing game will open up and Watson has been able to put together some nice numbers with a bad line.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
He was so dominant Senior Bowl practices they decided to see what he could do @ LT. Really no surprise he still dominated. Remember Washington has probably the top LT prospect coming out next year, Trey Adams, but he hurt his back early and when returned was not in football shape. I just think Peterson liked to run the football to the right side so never needed to flip Kaleb. Far as lateral quickness, he is plenty good, he moves his feet and kick slides better than anyone not named Andre or Jonah with more power than both. Surprised Lance would move him to guard instead of tackle with that frame and footwork but guess that’s just another bonus, he’s versatile.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
He was so dominant Senior Bowl practices they decided to see what he could do @ LT. Really no surprise he still dominated. Remember Washington has probably the top LT prospect coming out next year, Trey Adams, but he hurt his back early and when returned was not in football shape. I just think Peterson liked to run the football to the right side so never needed to flip Kaleb. Far as lateral quickness, he is plenty good, he moves his feet and kick slides better than anyone not named Andre or Jonah with more power than both. Surprised Lance would move him to guard instead of tackle with that frame and footwork but guess that’s just another bonus, he’s versatile.
If Trey Adams rebounds from his surgery and has a great college season, he will easily go top 5 in next years draft.
Gonna need a shocker season to draft that high.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
If Trey Adams rebounds from his surgery and has a great college season, he will easily go top 5 in next years draft.
Gonna need a shocker season to draft that high.
Tackles are such a commodity. Even worse than corners. Only thing that trumps them are QB’s. That’s why Kaleb is worth a first round pick, especially for this team.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Sounded almost like LZ. Not even a whiff of move to LT.

And the Texans are in this position because they got stupid with Duane.
So if they leave him @ RT doesn’t that still plug a hole. Duane should be close to retirement anyway but yeah, totally stupid move on management part. LZ is very good, happy for him, but guys do elevate or morph into different positions. Most will kick inside, a few stay put and a team plays to their strengths while a select few can move to the left side.

Last edited:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
So if they leave him @ RT doesn’t that still plug a hole. Duane should be close to retirement anyway but yeah, totally stupid move on management part.
But if they think Henderson is good to go?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Henderson was supposed to be insurance last year, going to bank on him again?
Not me, but the Texans? Are you or the Texans going to bet on a rookie with questionable pass blocking skills?

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I’m going to bet on some smash mouth and more physical play from Texans OL. You got to start building somewhere, sometime and O’Brian does love to run the ball and that would take a lot of pressure off Watson. Do agree with Cak about getting RB earlier thought about Miles Sanders also of Penn State in 2nd. Maybe back to back Nittnay Lions, that would work for me as well but got to address OL early.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Expected backlash with McGary in first round. That’s fine. I wasn’t sold until just a couple days ago when he was in town meeting with the Texans. At very least there is intrigue and interest. Whatever he gets or lands he will earn it. Nothing set in stone or guaranteed. It’s a process. Evaluation is a process. The games and season is a process. Toughness is a reflection of coaching, so I tried to really factor O’Brian in the process with prospects who exemplify his core beliefs and philosophy. Hard work, practice and passion for the game and teammates. If it was up to me I would spend every pick on the offensive line to protect Watson. Of course that’s just not realistic or good player management. So settled for two additions, this year, evaluate and reassess next off season. It’s a process that’s waned off trenches for far too long.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Not me, but the Texans? Are you or the Texans going to bet on a rookie with questionable pass blocking skills?
It's fairly obvious OB wants to run the ball and rightly so.
Make them respect the run game and the passing game opens up.
McGary can improve on his pass pro.

Reactions: JB

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Seemed like it in the discussion you were having the other day . But correct me if not.

I look at as 2 different issues, list on evaluation of talent oversll snd then go back and eliminate those who don't fit. At the end I'd have a board in order or talent with no square pegs for the team. If you find yourself eliminating lots of more talented players than you are tsking it's time to be more flexible on the system.

I hear some talk about elevating a player because of fit. That's a bad approach imo.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Seemed like it in the discussion you were having the other day . But correct me if not.

I look at as 2 different issues, list on evaluation of talent oversll snd then go back and eliminate those who don't fit. At the end I'd have a board in order or talent with no square pegs for the team.

I hear some talk about elevating a player because of fit. That's a bad approach imo.
I do think that BPA for every team is different every year and that teams pay little attention to what draftniks or fans think on the matter

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I would prefer Dillard as it's much easier to improve run blocking skills especially with Devlin as coach imo
Dillard would be my first choice for LT and Jawaan Taylor for RT.
Jonah Williams would be my first choice for G.
Would be a real steal if we could get any of these guys but I fear they will be off the board if we wait.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Dillard would be my first choice for LT and Jawaan Taylor for RT.
Jonah Williams would be my first choice for G.
Would be a real steal if we could get any of these guys but I fear they will be off the board if we wait.
Methinks that Jonah can play anywhere, and not sure all 3 gone by #23. Teams don't think like fans. I do think Taylor gone however as more teams seem to be high on him

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Methinks that Jonah can play anywhere, and not sure all 3 gone by #23. Teams don't think like fans. I do think Taylor gone however as more teams seem to be high on him
Dillard is the most mocked to Texans but Drafttek has him ranked #11 now so can't see it happening but I would be as happy as a pig in mud if we land him.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Dillard is the most mocked to Texans but Drafttek has him ranked #11 now so can't see it happening but I would be as happy as a pig in mud if we land him.
So would I, but likewise Jonah and Taylor... counting on none of the above

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I look at as 2 different issues, list on evaluation of talent oversll snd then go back and eliminate those who don't fit. At the end I'd have a board in order or talent with no square pegs for the team. If you find yourself eliminating lots of more talented players than you are tsking it's time to be more flexible on the system.

Good orgs draft players that fit their systems. For instance a NT in RAC's system wouldn't fit Wade's system.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I would prefer Dillard as it's much easier to improve run blocking skills especially with Devlin as coach imo
Devlin coached or shall I say ran several OL drills @ the combine. Small thing I know but he was on the front lines working out OL. So who impressed, besides Dillard (who lacks core strength and conditioning). Jonah, who some think best fit will be Center? It’s all fluid and you have to make a hard evaluation.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Devlin coached or shall I say ran several OL drills @ the combine. Small thing I know but he was on the front lines working out OL. So who impressed, besides Dillard (who lacks core strength and conditioning). Jonah, who some think best fit will be Center? It’s all fluid and you have to make a hard evaluation.
I didn't get to watch. If you did, who impressed you?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This Mock is twofold, one of fantasy other of realism. Limited selections to prospects who visited or had some direct contact with Texans organization. No trades, though very tempted.

Tackles always go higher than we think. Kaleb just visited Saturday (yesterday) Enforcer type, plays nasty, physical keeps his upper body quiet, lower body re-positioning staying in total balance. Could get cute and trade down but based off tape and interview he is Texan worthy to become franchise left tackle. Get out of the club.
54. Amani Oruwariye, CB, Penn State 6-2 205

Think Texans will wait until the second round to address secondary but when they do it could be in a big way. Could step in and make immediate impact as rookie, smart and disciplined with ideal size. https://binged.it/2GgURyV

55. Darnell Savage, Safety, Maryland, 5-11 198

Don't expect to get both db picks right here together and would be happy with one, Darnell is a speed guy, ran a 4.37 and is Andre Hal 2.0 on steroids. Would like to pair him with Reid, if powers that be like another ball hawking safety.
https://binged.it/2GhkRtV

O'Brian's got to love this mock with two Nittnay Lions & Steelbtexan will love two OL in first three rounds. Experience left/right guard as well as natural fit next level Center position. These four players could combine to quickly become starters coming out of camp next season and all replace or upgrade counterparts.
https://binged.it/2GbCifs

Rated 182nd prospect according to CBS, hard to believe, but I'll take him if he is there, just visite Texans, so if McGovern is gone they may select him there. No problems. Really explosive off the snap, great bend for size and athletic ability. Had run in with law early freshman year but seems totally clean since and hard worker in practices.
https://binged.it/2GjpTpA

195. John Cominsky, DE, University of Charleston

Took notice @ combine so did tape search of this division II prospect and liked enough what I saw to draft him day 3 of draft. Developmental, 3-4 end and core special teams player, gets washed out at times and neutralized by double teams but high motor/character that doesn't ever give up on play.

Plays hard, good speed to edge and can return kicks. As I wrap this badboy up, Tiger wins his 5th Green Jacket, more that changes more that stays the same. Always enjoyable waste of time but fun to dream, dream big like a Texan.
https://binged.it/2GeFNBF

1. McGary- love this pick, even though I've got doubts he can be a LT. 10 yr starter who will bring a much needed toughness/attitude to the OL.

2. Not a fan of Oruwarive. Although he has optimal size and enough speed, his instincts appear to be lacking. Give me a young guy like Isiah Johnson who has more upside.

2.Savage- I like Savage. I like Long more, Johnson/Long would solve the athletic issues at CB for yrs to come. I do think Savage could be athleticism to the secondary too.

3. McGovern- Love this pick. Brings toughness and can play anywhere along the OL, although I think OG will be his best position.

5. Absolutely love Hill,Hopefully he's there in the 5th. If he is this would be a no brainer pick.

6. Cominsky- Love picking high upside athletes from small schools this late in the draft.

7. Hiils, Love this pick. Big RB with really good vision. Enough speed to run the outside ZBS. Enough toughness to pickup hard earned yds inside. Great hands. I dont know about his pass pro.

Last edited:

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I didn't get to watch. If you did, who impressed you?
Dillard and Jonah of course besides McGary, were Lindstrom and Bradford who both made hard cases for 1st rd grades. Really a strong guard/center group. Should mention Jawaan Taylor a true road grader but wasn’t 100% @ combine but still he’s such a stud will probably be first OL off the board. A guy who caught my interest, very strong was Iosua Opeta, Weber State 6-4 301. Mauler type low cost be all in.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
1. McGary- love this pick, even though I've got doubts he can be a LT. 10 yr starter who will bring a much needed toughness/attitude to the OL.

2. Not a fan of Oruwarive. Although he has optimal size and enough speed, his instincts appear to be lacking. Give me a young guy like Isiah Johnson who has more upside.

2.Savage- I like Savage. I like Long more, Johnson/Long would solve the athletic issues at CB for yrs to come. I do think Savage could be athleticism to the secondary too.

3. McGovern- Love this pick. Brings toughness and can play anywhere along the OL, although I think OG will be his best position.

5. Absolutely love Hill,Hopefully he's there in the 5th. If he is this would be a no brainer pick.

6. Cominsky- Love picking high upside athletes from small schools this late in the draft.

7. Hiils, Love this pick. Big RB with really good vision. Enough speed to run the outside ZBS. Enough toughness to pickup hard earned yds inside. Great hands. I dont know about his pass pro.
Honestly think the Davenport experiment continues. So will probably retain starting LT duties with Kalil backing him up. Doesn’t make it right but that’s what’s in store. One more thing about combine and guests NFL Network brings to add their insights to specific positional groups, Joe Thomas was just the best. I learned so much listening to him talk about centering, footwork and hand placement etc. as it applies to OL play, just priceless to understand in order to start process of evaluations and player projections.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club

McGovern and McGary become the right side .... awesome !

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Honestly think the Davenport experiment continues. So will probably retain starting LT duties with Kalil backing him up. Doesn’t make it right but that’s what’s in store. One more thing about combine and guests NFL Network brings to add their insights to specific positional groups, Joe Thomas was just the best. I learned so much listening to him talk about centering, footwork and hand placement etc. as it applies to OL play, just priceless to understand in order to start process of evaluations and player projections.
Yep,

It was like Class was in session. Thomas made OL play interesting. I hope to see more of him as an analyst.

He would be a great OL coach but it doesn't seem like that's what he wants to do with his life.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
All the talent in the world doesn’t matter if a prospect doesn’t fit in O’Brian scheme, coaching, roster need, clubhouse and community. I know you’ve heard about checking all the boxes, those are the boxes along with speed, size, strength, vertical, IQ also called the measureables.

They all combine to form a teams draft grade where they then can stack prospects accordingly on their draft board. I don’t know if anyone here has ever been privy to seeing what Texans draft board looks like, there kept more secret than national security top secret documents, lol.

All 32 teams operate similarly, all compete, trades included, to secure prospects graded top of their draft boards. But they all don’t evaluate same or see the same fit as another team. Bad approach is not doing your homework thus not finding the best fit for your roster, organization, team and community.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
All the talent in the world doesn’t matter if a prospect doesn’t fit in O’Brian scheme, coaching, roster need, clubhouse and community. ... Bad approach is not doing your homework thus not finding the best fit for your roster, organization, team and community.
Never suggested not considering fit. Quite the contrary. It's right there in what you didn't quote.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Applies equally I believe, but your suggesting O’Brian isn’t flexible enough or he needs to be more flexible in order to stock the roster with more talent?

Last edited:

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Applies equally I believe, but your suggesting O’Brian isn’t flexible enough or he needs to be more in order to stock the roster with more talent?
I was speaking generally. What I am suggesting is a 3 stage process which provides a feedback loop.

1) rank the players system independent on measurables, football instinct, proven skillset.

2) eliminate players who don't fit, system or culture. Do not change the order.

3) reexamine eliminated players' performance periodically and compare to the "better fit" players you took. IF that review shows the team is passing on a lot of talent for fit then consider being more flexible.

Most great HCs were/are known for adaptation. Belichick has won with WRs big & small, fast & slow but twitchy, etc. Their offense has been run heavy, long bomb, death of a thousand cuts, etc. depending on personnel.

A system which makes player fits scarce better be showing dramatic success or should be modified.

The opposite has been true for some longstanding schemes: ZBS allowing OL to be drafted lower, 3-4s allowing tweeners to be drafted lower.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
We could re-exam last year’s draft class, first year of O’Brian/Gaine Combo and see there was some talent left on the board. Hindsight is 20/20.
I’m not one to rehash something that cannot be changed with a bunch of what if’s. So let’s see if you can play along with this little exercise and maybe revisit after the actual draft into next season & grade how well it went.

I’m playing O’Brian, since these mock draft picks seem aligned with personal he might agree with and you can play Gaine, the checks and balances guy?

First Round. O’Brian wants a mauler OT. Right side has only Henderson who is coming off season ending surgery and your starting RT (Lamm) has left via free agency. Your going to tell Bill no, that board says there is a higher graded player available, to which Bill responds, can we trade down and still get McGary to which you reply -

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Not sold at all OB wants a mauler...

But I'm happy to trade down if available adding at least a 3rd. If not I'm taking Dillard if available or if not the significantly better Jacobs.

If mauler is a priority over pass blocking for OB I'm starting to scout OCs & college ranks as well.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Not sold at all OB wants a mauler...

But I'm happy to trade down if available adding at least a 3rd. If not I'm taking Dillard if available or if not the significantly better Jacobs.

If mauler is a priority over pass blocking for OB I'm starting to scout OCs & college ranks as well.
So Gaine will work the phones for a trade partner, if nothing pops in 10 minutes or less the Texans, per Gaine would select highest graded player still left on their board. Your saying Josh Jacobs would then be the Texans pick.