Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Ben Tate

Kubiak hints at Tate starting over Foster

Not any different than my thoughts then.
About opportunities.

And even then, you have to take the daily grind.
Having a few good performances on game day is not enough to be a real pro.

Watch AJ for example. It's all about consistency, and by that I mean every day in practice, too.

There are guys that stick seems like forever like Nading; and what about that "white" dude who was with us a few years ago, a D lineman past his prime that Kubiak couldn't rave about enough how well he had been able to take of his body and his mindset come every camp?

IIRC, CND, Foster was really gimpy the first 3 or 4 weeks of last season. Which included the Dolphins game during Week 2. I remember it because I had drafted Tate in a FFL because of Foster's hammy issues he had suffered off and on throughout camp and even the preseason games that led up to the 2011 Reg Season. I figured I could get Tate's production for the first several games, and I did. After Foster came back, though, Tate's numbers regressed immediately.

In fact, Foster's hamstring was acting up as early as JULY 18th according to a Bleacher Report rumor article, specifically the speculation that it would have a tendency to linger if not treated properly. Link to article HERE.

In this NBC Sports article, Foster had aggravated the left hamstring in a preseason game. The hammy cost him half of August. Link HERE.

He had only 10 carries for 33 yards in Week 2 of the reg season vs. Dolphins, sitting out the entire 2nd half. The hamstring was still a major problem because he was sidelined completely the next week vs. the Saints. Link HERE.

So what we learned from that is this: Foster was effectively invisible for July, August, and the first month of the 2011 reg season...Tate misses 3 games in a 4-week stretch (Bills, Bye week, Jags, Lions)...and Kubiak is unhappy with Tate for essentially the same thing Foster dealt with on a much longer timeframe in 2011.

All signs point toward Tate and his agent making it clear that Tate really should be getting a chance to start (somewhere) and that he's basically biding his time here in Houston. If I were the Texans, I would seek a trading partner in the offseason and get some draft day collateral out of him/ Otherwise, he's going to be gimpy and a bit unreliable in 2013 in his last year here. Get something before he goes on his own, that's my take on it.

conspiracy theory: he's been out all year for the purpose of having a fresh back for the playoffs.

:toropalm:

Of course not. He's been out because he's hurt but that doesn't mean that given this particular crate of lemons the Texans aren't going to try to get the best lemonade possible out of the situation. There's 5 games left. They're 10-1 and Foster & Forsett (Attorneys at Law?) are getting it done. Why wouldn't the team be thinking "Fine, he hasn't healed quickly. At this point lets just get him back when he's 100% for the playoffs"?

Paging Derrick Ward.....

Seriously. If he's stayed in shape, he could get signed back to the team IF we needed him down the road. Crazier things have happened.

If I'm Rick Smith, I'm putting a bug in Ward's ear that it is always wise to be getting into shape in December. Ask Jeff Garcia and Jake Delhomme.

Ben Tate, I'm not sure he's Grade A starter material. The injuries, the lack of being "the guy" for several games week in and week out, the fact that he's on a helluva' team right now AND benefits from the change of pace he has in terms of teams facing Foster most of the game. I'm skeptical he's starter quality. Helluva' RB, no doubt.

All signs point toward Tate and his agent making it clear that Tate really should be getting a chance to start (somewhere) and that he's basically biding his time here in Houston. If I were the Texans, I would seek a trading partner in the offseason and get some draft day collateral out of him/ Otherwise, he's going to be gimpy and a bit unreliable in 2013 in his last year here. Get something before he goes on his own, that's my take on it.

I've though similarly along those lines as well. Guess we'll know/see when it all shakes out.

Ben Tate, I'm not sure he's Grade A starter material. The injuries, the lack of being "the guy" for several games week in and week out, the fact that he's on a helluva' team right now AND benefits from the change of pace he has in terms of teams facing Foster most of the game. I'm skeptical he's starter quality. Helluva' RB, no doubt.

Not so sure I agree with this statement. I don't think it would take long to find a job if he were to become a FA. What range draft pick we'd drag from him is a different story. I know some here have talked about him bringing a first rounder but I never really thought so. I'm thinking 4th'ish.

Never know what will happen in the heated passion that's draft day on the clock though.

Guess we can all hide-n-watch. :ant:

Paging Derrick Ward.....

Seriously. If he's stayed in shape, he could get signed back to the team IF we needed him down the road. Crazier things have happened.

If I'm Rick Smith, I'm putting a bug in Ward's ear that it is always wise to be getting into shape in December. Ask Jeff Garcia and Jake Delhomme.

Stacey Mack Syndrome perhaps?

I've though similarly along those lines as well. Guess we'll know/see when it all shakes out.

Not so sure I agree with this statement. I don't think it would take long to find a job if he were to become a FA. What range draft pick we'd drag from him is a different story. I know some here have talked about him bringing a first rounder but I never really thought so. I'm thinking 4th'ish.

Never know what will happen in the heated passion that's draft day on the clock though.

Guess we can all hide-n-watch. :ant:

IF he can stay healthy, but i mean 3 seasons and missed more games than he's played. I dont know if he could handle the load of a starter.

Paging Derrick Ward.....

I've seen Ward on Comcast Sports Net as an analyst and he definitely doesn't look like he's in any kind of playing shape or even close at that.

If the rumors about Cleveland wanting Tate last year for a first rounder were true we should have taken that. A late first rounder for Tate is about as good as you can ask for.

I've heard a bunch that Tate would be a starter for half the teams in the league and im not sure about that.

He should be traded this off season though.

If the rumors about Cleveland wanting Tate last year for a first rounder were true we should have taken that. A late first rounder for Tate is about as good as you can ask for.

I've heard a bunch that Tate would be a starter for half the teams in the league and im not sure about that.

He should be traded this off season though.

Sure he'd be a starter for about half the teams in the NFL. I don't doubt that for a second.

Now how long it would be before those teams were looking for their next starter is anybody's guess. I do think a lot of folks think Tate can get it done though.

Sure he'd be a starter for about half the teams in the NFL. I don't doubt that for a second.

Now how long it would be before those teams were looking for their next starter is anybody's guess. I do think a lot of folks think Tate can get it done though.

I just went and looked and Tate is not starting for half of the NFL.

I see a few teams where he'd probably get more carries in a rb by commiter and may or may not be named the starter...

But I think it's big time myth that half the NFL would start Tate at rb.

I count 7 teams that would definitely start Tate. The rest are either no ways or maybe or possibly yes or probably not.

I just went and looked and Tate is not starting for half of the NFL.

I see a few teams where he'd probably get more carries in a rb by commiter and may or may not be named the starter...

But I think it's big time myth that half the NFL would start Tate at rb.

Go ahead and name the teams he wouldn't start for.

I like having three good RBs but I guess if Forsett continues to do well and someone can give a 2nd or 3rd for Tate (ehhh, maybe), you pretty much have to do it.

on just about any team tate's a 4.5ypc guy, a fair blocker, and can hammer inside the redzone. i dont know that half the league would give up much for him, but if he entered their training camp next season, i can certainly see tate winning the job for more than half of the league. that's of course assuming health, which is the current problem.

on just about any team tate's a 4.5ypc guy, a fair blocker, and can hammer inside the redzone. i dont know that half the league would give up much for him, but if he entered their training camp next season, i can certainly see tate winning the job for more than half of the league. that's of course assuming health, which is the current problem.

Seriously?

Name over 16 teams that you think Tate would go to and start....

I seriously can't think of more than ten.

my homer is showing, but ...

colts
broncos
chargers
raiders
jets
dolphins
steelers
bengals
cowboys
packers
lions
rams
cardinals

several others could open up next year - falcons, giants, panthers.

my homer is showing, but ...

colts
broncos
chargers
raiders
jets
dolphins
steelers
bengals
cowboys
packers
lions
rams
cardinals

several others could open up next year - falcons, giants, panthers.

With McGahee aging I think he might go to the broncos and start.

I think McFadden has injury problems, so maybe in Oakland...but I doubt it.

Chargers have Matthews, but again...injuries so maybe.

He would not Go to Miami and start over bush if he's brought back. And if he's not they'll probably just have Thomas as their starter.

If mendenhall is healthy they'd probably share time. He may or may not start IMO.

Cowboys have Murray who just got healthy and they love him. Maybe, but far from a shoe in.

The rams? Yeah right.

Cardinals have wells who just got healthy. Maybe, maybe not.

Falcons are doubtful I'd say, but maybe if turner is cut or is gone. Don't know his situation.

Giants? I think he may start, but doubtful. I think it'd BEcommittee at best.

Panthers? No. He's not going to jump deangelo and Stewart and if they cut one they aren't starting him over the other.

I think overall rb's are a bit devalued in the NFL although you do have some studs.

Some of the teams where I feel he could maybe start probably aren't trading anything of value for him...like the raiders with McFadden or the cowboys with Murray or the cards with beenie wells.

Last edited:
With McGahee aging I think he might go to the broncos and start.

I think McFadden has injury problems, so maybe in Oakland...but I doubt it.

Chargers have Matthews, but again...injuries so maybe.

He would not Go to Miami and start over bush if he's brought back. And if he's not they'll probably just have Thomas as their starter.

If mendenhall is healthy they'd probably share time. He may or may not start IMO.

Cowboys have Murray who just got healthy and they love him. Maybe, but far from a shoe in.

The rams? Yeah right.

Cardinals have wells who just got healthy. Maybe, maybe not.

Falcons are doubtful I'd say, but maybe if turner is cut or is gone. Don't know his situation.

Giants? I think he may start, but doubtful. I think it'd BEcommittee at best.

Panthers? No. He's not going to jump deangelo and Stewart and if they cut one they aren't starting him over the other.

I think overall rb's are a bit devalued in the NFL although you do have some studs.

Some of the teams where I feel he could maybe start probably aren't trading anything of value for him...like the raiders with McFadden or the cowboys with Murray or the cards with beenie wells.

Well i doubt they would want Tate then as well :kitten:

Is he still injured a bit?

Is he in the dog house?
Anyone hear anything why he isn't playing much?

Is he still injured a bit?

Is he in the dog house?
Anyone hear anything why he isn't playing much?

Kubes wants to run Foster into the ground so he can trade him and then use Tate next year?

There is no good reason i can think of to not use him or even Forsett.

Kubes wants to run Foster into the ground so he can trade him and then use Tate next year?

There is no good reason i can think of to not use him or even Forsett.

Actually, I think there is. The way the line is playing, you gotta have some serious skills in the quickness department to get past the LOS. Tate can bang for some yardage, but he's not getting past anybody. It also takes a certain minimum size to break the D-lineman arm tackles, so Forsett wouldn't cut it right now either. The O-line sux so bad it takes Foster to get anything out of it.

Two words: Briesel & Winston.

So if west

Any decent offer we ought to trade him if we can't use him.

It's possible but this year has been less than stellar for Tate so you're not looking at getting back the second round value you spent to get him. Unless Tate does something special in the playoffs I don't think too many teams are hurting for a RB so badly they'll give up anything north of a 4th rounder for Tate. Most will be content to let him come out in FA and try to sign him there if they really are eyeing him. Contrary to popular belief you can't just trade every player who has even the tiniest role on game day when they have a year left on their contract.

Back