Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Baldinger: Bob McNair "content with mediocrity"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf

100% Texan
NFL Network's Brian Baldinger shared some tough love for the Texans and owner Bob McNair this morning during an interview with Marc Vandermeer and John Lopez on Houston's SportsRadio 610.

Like many of you, I watch NFL Network regularly but I can't recall 'Baldy' going off on McNair, Kubiak and the Texans like he did this morning.

Here's how it went down.
Vandermeer: "Houston Texans, your thoughts…"

Baldinger: (chuckles) "Obviously Bob Mc Nair is content with mediocrity. The playoffs must not be that important... they’ve had four years to get it right. And I don’t know if they’re any better. I mean, when Matt Schaub plays like he did this year, plays 16 games they’re a pretty good team, but … to me … I don’t think they’re ever going to get it right."

Lopez: "I’m sensing that you think extending Gary Kubiak was a mistake."

Baldinger: "Like I said, if you want to go 8-8 … you want to go 9-7 and kind of just be at the brink, if that’s good enough, then that’s what you do, you stay with him. I don’t understand. Four years to get it right in this league to get it right is twice the eternity (?) that anybody really should get because you can win in this league right now – the Jets showed you. All you can do is keep stockpiling talent – tell me how they’re going to get better?"

You can listen to the entire podcast here, from the SportsRadio610 audio vault.

I just wished someone would have reminded Baldinger that Rex Ryan's Jets had the exact same record in 2009 that Eric Mangini's Jets had in 2008.
http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houst...Baldinger--Bob-McNair-content-with-mediocrity

And he is a DICK not because of his message but because of his delivery. Berating people, being repetitive, etc. Plus today he said the Jets improved from 8-8 so he knows shite.

I won't listen to that tool not because I don't agree with his message, but because he has absolutely no objectivity what so ever. Plus his message day in and day out is the exact same thing. Not sure what he will do for a show once the Texans finally make the playoffs.

The jets showed us what? That anyone can make to the playoffs when they're spotted two games?

He will choke on those words next season. AssBag!

How often do these so-called experts get it right anyway?

I think it's called "blind faith" rather than mediocrity. Our owner must have faith that Kubiak and the "good old boy's club" will eventually pull it off and take his team to the BIG SHOW! Who knows??! I'll guess we'll see this time next year!

I think it's called "blind faith" rather than mediocrity. Our owner must have faith that Kubiak and the "good old boy's club" will eventually pull it off and take his team to the BIG SHOW! Who knows??! I'll guess we'll see this time next year!

Exactly. There is no way McNair spends all this money because he WANTS an 8-8 team. He wants in the playoffs and in the Super Bowl just like every other owner. How he intends on getting the Texans there is the argument, not whether or not he WANTS to get there, because he does.

Add to Peter King speaking the truth this morning as well on 610.

King:"Listen, we sit every Sunday and wonder...how are the Texans going to screw up this game. It's not like they are going to get beat...they are going to find somehow to lose the game. Also, tell me a meaningful game that they have played in and won in the past three years. What, they beat the Colts once?"

Vandermeer: "Yeah, but we put on the 4 game winning streak at the end of the season to close out strong".

King: "But the barn door is shut at 5-7, I'm sorry. They shouldn't be in that situation."

Spoke the truth...and it hurts. I'm sure his podcast will be up shortly.

This thread is going nuclear in 3...2...1...

What a football guy saying what some of us have said....wow, maybe he should get an email to stick pink soap somewhere, that will teach him for thinking for himself.:kitten:

I'm glad there are some voices around town now that don't feel the need to just to follow a company line

Add to Peter King speaking the truth this morning as well on 610.

King:"Listen, we sit every Sunday and wonder...how are the Texans going to screw up this game. It's not like they are going to get beat...they are going to find somehow to lose the game. Also, tell me a meaningful game that they have played in and won in the past three years. What, they beat the Colts once?"

Vandermeer: "Yeah, but we put on the 4 game winning streak at the end of the season to close out strong".

King: "But the barn door is shut at 5-7, I'm sorry. They shouldn't be in that situation."

Spoke the truth...and it hurts. I'm sure his podcast will be up shortly.

Funny part about this is that I've sene King keep the Texans in his top 15 all year based on the talent they have. He has made some nice comments. So it isn't like his goal is to bag on them.

It's harsh, but both Baldinger and King have a good point. (I've never said that about Peter King before, but a stopped clock is right twice a day...) Houston coaching and players (esp. C/K. Browns) put our team in a crappy position. Had we not shat the bed against Arizona and Tennessee and Indy twice, we wouldn't have to hear them say anything.

Wow, Baldinger seems out of touch with reality. I always enjoyed his analysis on NFLN, but that may change. It just didnt' seem very objective (going by the quote in the OP, I have not listened to the podcast yet).

What a football guy saying what some of us have said....wow, maybe he should get an email to stick pink soap somewhere, that will teach him for thinking for himself.:kitten:

I'm glad there are some voices around town now that don't feel the need to just to follow a company line

Funny part about this is that I've sene King keep the Texans in his top 15 all year based on the talent they have. He has made some nice somments. So it isn't like his goal is to bag on them.

It's simply a matter of being the youngest team in the NFL. I wonder if King was sitting watching N.O play the past two seasons and thinking the same thing?

It usually takes very young and talented teams a few years to work themselves over the hump... look at the following teams:

Baltimore Ravens 2000... they had something like three 8-8 seasons in a row leading into a decade of championship level football.

Tennessee Titans (late 1990s and early 2000s)... three or four seasons around .500

Arizona Cardinals 2008 3 or 4 consecutive 7-8 win teams before breaking through, barely.

It doesn't have to happen that way. Sure, the Texans could've won another game or two. But, they didn't. And, I don't think it says anything about the team going forward except how close to great they are. I'm hardly going to panic because Kris Brown, Chris Brown weren't clutch last year. If Schaub, AJ, Mario, Cushing, etc... were choking away games at the end, then I'd be worried.

I typically agree with Baldinger. I believe he was one of a few people who praised the Texans for acquiring Matt Schaub. He even said not to be suprised if the Texans start to show improvement just from that transaction alone back then. So I respect what he has to say. Mostly what he says is true but I think he just doesn't agree with Kubiak as being the guy to take The Texans to the playoffs and that's where I disagree.

I believe Kubiak will get us there. He says we have had four years to make it right but really we've only had 3 in terms of Kubiak having a decent QB. Let's face it, Kubiak wanted to be a head coach so he let Bob Mcnair hear what he wanted - that we could win with David Carr. Then he showed Mcnair we couldn't, and he went and got a good one. Since then we've seen lots of improvement offensively and now his QB has full grasp of the offense. When it comes to defense, he's never had the DC he's wanted until this year and there was some good defensive play this year after the shaky first month. Our team is young but we got alot of returning people.

As much as I believe Kubiak is the guy to take us to the playoffs, this year is a very critical year for him IMO. If he can make the playoffs, can he get our team to show up and be successful? If he can't do that or even get us there period, he needs to be gone.

It's simply a matter of being the youngest team in the NFL. I wonder if King was sitting watching N.O play the past two seasons and thinking the same thing?

It usually takes very young and talented teams a few years to work themselves over the hump... look at the following teams:

Baltimore Ravens 2000... they had something like three 8-8 seasons in a row leading into a decade of championship level football.

Tennessee Titans (late 1990s and early 2000s)... three or four seasons around .500

Arizona Cardinals 2008 3 or 4 consecutive 7-8 win teams before breaking through, barely.

It doesn't have to happen that way. Sure, the Texans could've won another game or two. But, they didn't. And, I don't think it says anything about the team going forward except how close to great they are. I'm hardly going to panic because Kris Brown, Chris Brown weren't clutch last year. If Schaub, AJ, Mario, Cushing, etc... were choking away games at the end, then I'd be worried.

So inserting players that weren't clutch over and over and losing in the same painful way year after year doesn't say anything about a team going forward?I think that was King's and Balldingers point..it does.

I kinda get what he's saying, but you also have to look at the other side. This is a team that with a play here and there, they are a 12 win team. Do you really want to go with uncertainty when you truley are so close? Cower would be solid, but thats a change in scheme. IDK, I'm ok with the extension, cause if it doesn't work, Bob eats the cash.

So inserting players that weren't clutch over and over and losing in the same painful way year after year doesn't say anything about a team going forward?I think that was King's and Balldingers point..it does.

I agree.

This is a good point.

For me, I try to understand why he did what he did. If it made sense, even if it wasn't what I would have done.... then I've got to weigh that with the other tangibles Kubiak has done, good & bad alike. Then see if the bad out-weighs the good.

For the life of me, I can't understand how anyone's "score card" can be so overwhelmingly to the bad, that it justifies firing him.

Well, when your starting HB is injured and your backup can't pass protect and also puts the ball on the ground, your choices quickly diminish. When your kicker, coming off an all-pro season, collapses in the middle of the season, there is not much to do. The thing to be excited about is that neither player will be on the roster, much less in a position to impact the games next year!

Baldinger and King both know if Kubiak tanks next year he's gone anyway, extension really doesn't mean that much so it just seems like they are taking potshots at Kubiak.

Instead of saying McNair is content with mediorcrity, how about saying McNair obviously thinks it's worth building on what we have done and try to get it done another season or two instead going back to the drawing board with a brand new coach, brand new assistants, and a brand new system. Rarely does that lead to instant success. So say something like McNair is really putting in all on the table and giving Kubiak another season (or two) to finish what he started. And if doesn't work out it will look like a bad decision. Judging it before it happens is stupid. (See the '06 draft)

It's a dumb statement to say he's content with mediorcrity. If you want to take a dig at McNair then say he's loyal to a fault. That's more of a fair statement given the opportunity he gave Capers and is now giving Kubiak.

And the Jets comparison is weak, the way the Jets got in was a long shot, sure they made the most of it and rode the momentum. But you want your teams to win their division and be a power house, not back into the playoffs on a longshot because two teams laid down. At the end of the day anyone will take what they can get. But to make it out like the Jets made all the right moves and navigated the season so great is beyond a huge reach. I would not bank on the circumstances that led them to the playoffs to align so perfectly next time. You're not always going to get that kind of outside help to get you a spot in the dance.

Didnt' they have the same record as the Texans in the regular season? It's a game of inches, to praise the team that made it by the skin of their teeth and to say the team that didn't is happily mediocre is ridiculous.

The Jets should be praised for making the best out of the opportunity however, they took it and ran and good for them.

I still have not read the entire article or listen to the podcast, just going by the quotes posted, and maybe I won't even bother now cause it just seems like hot air.

I couldn't give a **** what Baldinger says about this subject. Or any national guy.

There's 32 teams in the league. Even the closest observers of the NFL do not know each team in detail.

Baldinger is good when he is breaking down film, but I'm guessing he doesn't know more than just generalities about the team.

And look at what an expert Peter King is on the NFL:

Media accuracy rankings for NFL season predictions

Lots of opinions in the world. Some more well-reasoned than others. I think that there is a rational case that can be made for changing coaches, but I don't think Baldinger's comments as summarized hits the mark.

I've come to realize that I don't care what media person says what. That I like rational comments, fact based comments no matter what the source.

I couldn't give a **** what Baldinger says about this subject. Or any national guy.

There's 32 teams in the league. Even the closest observers of the NFL do not know each team in detail.

Baldinger is good when he is breaking down film, but I'm guessing he doesn't know more than just generalities about the team.

And look at what an expert Peter King is on the NFL:

Media accuracy rankings for NFL season predictions

Lots of opinions in the world. Some more well-reasoned than others. I think that there is a rational case that can be made for changing coaches, but I don't think Baldinger's comments as summarized hits the mark.

I've come to realize that I don't care what media person says what. That I like rational comments, fact based comments no matter what the source.

I totally agree. You and I know more about the Texans organization than any national media person. We can glean information simply by observing posture or subtle nuances in a Kubiak press conference. Baldinger has almost certainly never heard one. You, Jeremy Rice, Diehard Chris, AJ, LZ, and a few board members, along with my own observations are where I get the best and most detailed information about this team.

Baldinger disparaging this organization bothers me much less than someone like Dexman, Vinny, HoustonSpartan, Texecutioner, or other board members. Even though I think those boardmembers conclusions are wrong, I know they've put the time and thought into learning and understanding the team.

i couldn't agree more with what Baldinger said. oh by the way, baldinger was one of the first guys to call out David Carr for the horrible QB that he was. he was absolutely the first national guy to critique his pocket awareness and not blame the OL and coaching for every problem the guy had. I remember saying 'wow, finally some guys sees what the smart Texans fans have seen since David showed up in town'.....the sheeple were still talking about coaching and the Offensive Line. freaking stupid.

something tells me this guy knows more than most of the homers around here.

Baldinger calls it like he sees it, and unlike many of the local yayhoos and homers on this board, he is objective, knowledgeable and brutally honest.

It's quite obvious McNair is content with mediocrity based on the moves he has made in coaching, the moves he has made in free agent personnel, and the moves he has made in marketing. McNair lost me when he said they gave Kubiak an extension after comparing him to other coaches that had been hired since Kubiak. That is a freaking joke. No way in hell is that true. Kubiak hasn't done diddly but half of yall want a freaking statue of the guy for getting to the Mt.Everest-like peak of 9-7.

Screw these losers and screw the people that keep making excuses for their failures.

For the life of me, I can't understand how anyone's "score card" can be so overwhelmingly to the bad, that it justifies firing him.

I don't think anyone can argue against the fact Kubiak and Smith have done a much better job with this team than Capers and Casserly did. And also that the Texans are vastly improved from what they were Kubiaks first year here. The difference comes is whether you think, based on what has happened, that Kubkiak has what it takes to make a playoff team out of the Texans.

And the Jets comparison is weak, the way the Jets got in was a long shot, sure they made the most of it and rode the momentum.

But to make it out like the Jets made all the right moves and navigated the season so great is beyond a huge reach.

Didnt' they have the same record as the Texans in the regular season?

Truth be told, and it doesn't matter if the Texans was that team kept out or not.... But the truth is, If the Colts had played to win in week 15, the Jets would have finished 8-8.

Before you go there.... forget about the Texans for a moment, this has nothing to do with the Texans.

But the Jets would have lost to the Colts, they would have finished 8-8, one game worse than the 9-7 of Mangini's last season.

Because the Colts pulled their starters in a game they would have won, in week 15, the Jets are 9-7, their coach is the greatest thing since bread pudding, and they "don't settle for mediocrity."

This, IMHO, is another reason you can't use a teams W-L record to judge how good or bad a coach, or a team is. It has almost nothing to do with it.

Disclaimer: I am not passing judgement on whether the Jets are a good team, or a bad team. I am not saying this year's Jets is better or worse than last year's Jets. I am not saying anything at all in reference to the Texans. All I'm saying, is the Jets W-L record alone is not a good reflection of that team.

I think there is a lot of truth that has been said.

But McNair isn't content with mediocrity. Some may disagree with Kubiak being Head Coach, some may disagree with him being the Head Coach going forward... but McNair sees the team that Kubiak & Smith have put together and thinks that the two of them going forward is the highest percentage of having a successful team. He's not happy with 8-8 or 9-7 seasons, he thinks Kubiak is the best option to take us to 10+ wins and into the playoffs. Plain and simple. End of story, case closed.

I don't think anyone can argue against the fact Kubiak and Smith have done a much better job with this team than Capers and Casserly did. And also that the Texans are vastly improved from what they were Kubiaks first year here. The difference comes is whether you think, based on what has happened, that Kubkiak has what it takes to make a playoff team out of the Texans.

Well, unless you think that Kubiak caused: the Chris Brown fumbles, the Steve Slaton fumbles, the Ryan Moats fumble and the odd overturn of the call at Indy, the Kris Brown missed FGs, the Bironas made 53 yd field goal, the Schaub interception at Arizona, the Schaub injury vs. Jacksonville, the Colts laying down versue NYJets in week #16, the Bengals laying down vs. Jets in week #17...

Unless he's responsible for every single one of those things, then clearly Kubiak can make the Texans a playoff team. Because, if any of those things happen differently, the Texans are in the playoffs.

The real question is whether he has what it takes to elevate the team's play enough to overcome a lot of misfortune. Last season, he couldn't quite get it done. I do believe he can, though. However, next season we could breeze to an 11 win season without him being tested in that way. So, it's a question that may not get answered for 2-3 years. Next season, I'm hopeful we get a few more bounces, we're even more talented and experienced, and we stay relatively healthy. If all that happens, he could coach this team worse than he did last season and we'll still be in the playoffs.

First off I will admit that I'm a Kool Aid Drinker, and part of the Kubes Fan Club. (Although I was starting to look at the life boat out of the corner of my eye this year)

I know it's this guys job to bloviate, but shut the F up already. Many people have made the points about the Jets already, spotted games and similar record and such. What this ***** didn't talk about was Rex Ryan didn't inherit a 2-14 team that was about as bad s anything Detroit puts on the field every year. THAT TAKES A WHILE TO FIX! Just because they overachieved in year two an possibly three (Year three is debateable) it shouldn't be held against them!

I would much rather have a team built that makes incremental improvement (As long as it's sustained!) rather than 4 bad years and one good.

Everyone jumped on the Atlanta, Baltimore, and Miami look what they did in one year band wagon, and look at them now. Baltimore made the playoffs, but they have been a very consistent team that Harbaugh took over. Also did any of these teams lose 2/3's of thier interior offensive line, thier All Pro caliber TE and have thier #1 RB have a meltdown? Injuries happen, but when you have your Offense lose the group of guys the Texans lost it takes a toll, yet this offense was still top 5!

I hope, scratch that, I know that this Douche will eat his words next year.

HE CAN KISS MY MEDIOCRE ASS!!!!

Funny part about this is that I've sene King keep the Texans in his top 15 all year based on the talent they have. He has made some nice comments. So it isn't like his goal is to bag on them.

Peter King had the Texans winning the division this year. From what I gathered from his voice this morning, he's pretty much given up on the Texans and postseason.

I totally agree. You and I know more about the Texans organization than any national media person. We can glean information simply by observing posture or subtle nuances in a Kubiak press conference. Baldinger has almost certainly never heard one. You, Jeremy Rice, Diehard Chris, AJ, LZ, and a few board members, along with my own observations are where I get the best and most detailed information about this team.

Baldinger disparaging this organization bothers me much less than someone like Dexman, Vinny, HoustonSpartan, Texecutioner, or other board members. Even though I think those boardmembers conclusions are wrong, I know they've put the time and thought into learning and understanding the team.

"Gleaned information" that had Carr turning into the next Kurt Warner or the one where he was a top passer in the league once he mastered that pocket presence?Excuse me but I feel like this is a mad lib for you and you just take said Texans personnel person and plug them into the same paragraphs years later. Not saying we haven't all been wrong or that Kubes won't succeed but I wouldn't be so over the top since it seems the "Carr-Haters" are now your "Pink-Soapers."

I don't trust all national media but I trust they do their job..watching and analyzing football through the eyes of guys who played and got years of experience. Some do a good job, others don't, but I'll listen.

I'm not sure about McNair being "content with mediocrity", but I feel fairly confident that he is not discontent with it, either. Owners show their discontent by changing coaching staffs, and McNair has gone the opposite way by giving him a two year extension. (btw, I'm not arguing for/against that action, but just commenting on this specific story about Baldinger's remarks).

I doubt McNair is 'happy' with 9-7, but it would not be that shocking if he is satisfied with it. The fact is that McNair had a playoff or bust attitude before the season, but that 'or else' mentality was merely talk when it came down to action. At least that was my perception going into the 2009 season.

Does anyone honestly think that McNair will fire Kubiak if we repeat 9-7 and miss the playoffs in 2010? I don't, and we have this season to support that perspective.

"Gleaned information" that had Carr turning into the next Kurt Warner or the one where he was a top passer in the league once he mastered that pocket presence?Excuse me but I feel like this is a mad lib for you and you just take said Texans personnel person and plug them into the same paragraphs years later. Not saying we haven't all been wrong or that Kubes won't succeed but I wouldn't be so over the top since it seems the "Carr-Haters" are now your "Pink-Soapers."

I don't trust all national media but I trust they do their job..watching and analyzing football through the eyes of guys who played and got years of experience. Some do a good job, others don't, but I'll listen.

As Texanchick said, I'll listen to someone like Jaworski breakdown tape. But, that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about someone in the national media assessing the state of the franchise... He's not spent the time to study them to have any idea. I guarantee you that we know more about the roster than he does. Do you think he knows that Adibi, KBentley are our primary backup LBs? Or, does he even realize the youth on this team? Does he know about Kubiak's nervous tapping on the podium? Does he know that when Kubiak says a player got "dinged", it means he got a concussion? Does he know that McNair did not give Kubiak a vote of confidence when asked during the season? Or, does he know how the power brokerage between Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak work? Does he even know that Matt Schaub has less than 40 starts in his career? Did he even read the reasons McNair articulated for keeping Kubiak here? Can he name 5 starters from the 2005 Houston Texans? I bet he has no concept how deficient the talent was then.

The last time the national media starting attacking McNair was after the 2006 draft. How do those tirades look now?

Baldinger is just like any other guy with a national microphone..if he agrees with you or me he's smart and well informed.

If he doesn't he's a national guy and doesn't know much about the local team.

That's the spin I get from any national media type.

What I find really amusing is that folks tend to hype national media figures when they say something agreeable, but then dismiss them if they disagree.

If Baldinger said it was a great idea to extend Kubiak for two years, the same ones that are discounting him in this thread would be talking about what a great football analyst he is, and those that support him now would reverse their positions.

This quote comes to mind when reading these threads:

"One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds."
~ Frank Zappa

p.s. lol @ WWJD. I saw your post after I said this. ;)

I'm not sure about McNair being "content with mediocrity", but I feel fairly confident that he is not discontent with it, either. Owners show their discontent by changing coaching staffs, and McNair has gone the opposite way by giving him a two year extension. (btw, I'm not arguing for/against that action, but just commenting on this specific story about Baldinger's remarks).

I doubt McNair is 'happy' with 9-7, but it would not be that shocking if he is satisfied with it. The fact is that McNair had a playoff or bust attitude before the season, but that 'or else' mentality was merely talk when it came down to action. At least that was my perception going into the 2009 season.

Does anyone honestly think that McNair will fire Kubiak if we repeat 9-7 and miss the playoffs in 2010? I don't, and we have this season to support that perspective.

I'm glad that McNair doesn't set arbritrary standards to make his decisions. I would rather him look at the situation in a more holistic manner, understanding that complexities exist. There are variables and circumstances which can not be forecast ahead of time. It would be foolish to ignore those and make decisions solely on an arbritrary standard. I would be just as adamant about this if the Texans were a playoff team but it was evident that the coach wasn't good. You know, situations that have happened in the NFL where a coach stays around longer than he should, when it's clear that he has no clue what he's doing:

Wayne Fontes
Mike Tice
Barry Switzer
Marvin Lewis (just bought himself another 2 years)
Lovie Smith

meanwhile, some teams are able to make great decisions that is counter-intuitive to simply a W/L record. for example,

NYJets fired Mangini despite 9-7 (with injured QB), coming off a playoff appearence under Mangini in 2007.

Baldinger just said something that we read everyday on this board. He has no idea what he's talking about.

/sarcasm

What I find really amusing is that folks tend to hype national media figures when they say something agreeable, but then dismiss them if they disagree.

If Baldinger said it was a great idea to extend Kubiak for two years, the same ones that are discounting him in this thread would be talking about what a great football analyst he is, and those that support him now would reverse their positions.

This quote comes to mind when reading these threads:

"One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds."
~ Frank Zappa

p.s. lol @ WWJD. I saw your post after I said this. ;)

That's not true. Sure, it's nice to hear Peter King pick the Texans to win the division. I like to hear that. But, I never argued or thought to myself, "man, the Texans are good. I know that because Peter King picked them and he's a smart guy". Fans like to hear good things about their team. That's natural. I've consistently mocked and criticized the local and national sports media simply because it has become a joke. I don't watch pregame shows. I can't watch ESPN or any studio show on NFL network. I listen to a lot of Sirius NFL radio but I don't ever brag about Adam Schein picking the Texans to win... because he's a dope and doesn't know what he's talking about. Now, if Tim Ryan studies the Texans and says he thinks they are on the brink of great things, I'll get a little excited. If he studies them and says they are in trouble, I'll get a little concerned.

For me I guess it is like the old saying I can talk about my family but if someone else does, the fighting begins. If you want to criticise my team, then go through each game with them (and me) & I might respect your POV.Swoop in with negative comments once or twice does not convince me you know anything but are probably regurgitating what you heard someone else say. I truly doubt the players on any team listen to these bozos so why should we?

umm, no you don't. baldinger and king have forgotten more football than you will ever know. that is just ridiculous comment. you are a fan that pays to watch football, they are experts that are paid to watch football. they didn't win the lottery. there is a reason they get paid. to act like you and even TC know more than King about even the local team is ludicrous.

dale, vinny and I told you that Carr sucked yet you said it was eveyrone else's fault that Carr sucked. You were proven wrong time and time again but now you say that we were wrong. no, you were wrong.

and you will be wrong again.

exactly thorn. is kubiak going to get us to the Super Bowl? its obvious he isn't....so why the hell are we extending him?

he is the guy to keep us mediocre...and keep the sheeple moving through the turnstile.

local legend my ass, he is an average HC at best

i couldn't agree more with what Baldinger said. oh by the way, baldinger was one of the first guys to call out David Carr for the horrible QB that he was. he was absolutely the first national guy to critique his pocket awareness and not blame the OL and coaching for every problem the guy had. I remember saying 'wow, finally some guys sees what the smart Texans fans have seen since David showed up in town'.....the sheeple were still talking about coaching and the Offensive Line. freaking stupid.

something tells me this guy knows more than most of the homers around here.

Baldinger calls it like he sees it, and unlike many of the local yayhoos and homers on this board, he is objective, knowledgeable and brutally honest.

It's quite obvious McNair is content with mediocrity based on the moves he has made in coaching, the moves he has made in free agent personnel, and the moves he has made in marketing. McNair lost me when he said they gave Kubiak an extension after comparing him to other coaches that had been hired since Kubiak. That is a freaking joke. No way in hell is that true. Kubiak hasn't done diddly but half of yall want a freaking statue of the guy for getting to the Mt.Everest-like peak of 9-7.

Screw these losers and screw the people that keep making excuses for their failures

I didn't really get that from the majority of the posts in this thread. I saw a lot of posters being pretty objective. I think you just needed to get a good rant out to start your day, this post makes zero sense to me.

I have been damn critical of Kubiak this past season and that's not about to change because of an extension. People trying to pretend they know what McNair is thinking and what he is happy or unhappy about is downright laughable.

Being able to break down tape and compare key matchups is what Baldinger is good at, rubbing a crystal ball and telling me what others feel..... and how next season will go......not so much. National sports personalities who haven't taken their time to dig into the facts and actually draw logical conclusions have a hard time passing as a credible source IMO. At the end of the day, these people are paid to give opinions. And we know opinions are like aholes.

We all have the right to be proven wrong in our opinions, but at least a lot of us take the time and effort to shape them. Everyone that supports Kubiak is not a loser, just like people who oppose Kubiak are not. I can make a pretty good case for both sides. Throwing out blanket statements and lashing out at fellow fans because the don't agree with you is lame. It's okay to have differring view, one will be proven right eventually.

I for one am not making excuses for anyone's failures. Kubiak has to go out there an earn it this year. To know if giving him another year was a good idea or a mistake has yet to be realized to infer anything different is guess work and should not be stated as fact.

One thing is for sure, I will be watching very closely and I will be pulling for my Texans regardless of who wears the headset.

Well, unless you think that Kubiak caused: the Chris Brown fumbles, the Steve Slaton fumbles, the Ryan Moats fumble and the odd overturn of the call at Indy, the Kris Brown missed FGs, the Bironas made 53 yd field goal, the Schaub interception at Arizona, the Schaub injury vs. Jacksonville, the Colts laying down versue NYJets in week #16, the Bengals laying down vs. Jets in week #17...

Unless he's responsible for every single one of those things, then clearly Kubiak can make the Texans a playoff team. Because, if any of those things happen differently, the Texans are in the playoffs.

The real question is whether he has what it takes to elevate the team's play enough to overcome a lot of misfortune. Last season, he couldn't quite get it done. I do believe he can, though. However, next season we could breeze to an 11 win season without him being tested in that way. So, it's a question that may not get answered for 2-3 years. Next season, I'm hopeful we get a few more bounces, we're even more talented and experienced, and we stay relatively healthy. If all that happens, he could coach this team worse than he did last season and we'll still be in the playoffs.

earth to dalemurphy. earth to dalemurphy. HE DID CAUSE THAT!!

he called a timeout for crying out loud. did you even watch the games? he gave Caldwell a timeout so he could look and see if it was worth reviewing.

Alll they had to do was have Schaub QB sneak, instead they waited for the clock to run down so they could take 10 freaking seconds off the clock because Kubiak was scared of giving Peyton 10 extra seconds...so instead he lost 7 freaking points.

you have lost all credibility...you don't even know what is going on.

basically, nothing is the fault of the coach. not the poor in-game adjustmenst, not the team comign out flat 75% of the season, not the poor halftime adjustments, not the being able to keep team inspired for a full game. no, none of that is on Gary. After all he is from Houston. he is God.

Yes, players contribute greatly to game's outcomes but to put it all on players is just stupid. Gary's stupidity cost us 3 games this year and will continue to do so because he plays scared, too much of a wuss to even watch critical plays, and gets outcoached by even the most rookiest of coaches.

whatever......go make love to your Kubiak love doll.

I'm glad that McNair doesn't set arbritrary standards to make his decisions. I would rather him look at the situation in a more holistic manner, understanding that complexities exist. There are variables and circumstances which can not be forecast ahead of time. It would be foolish to ignore those and make decisions solely on an arbritrary standard. I would be just as adamant about this if the Texans were a playoff team but it was evident that the coach wasn't good. You know, situations that have happened in the NFL where a coach stays around longer than he should, when it's clear that he has no clue what he's doing:

Wayne Fontes
Mike Tice
Barry Switzer
Marvin Lewis (just bought himself another 2 years)
Lovie Smith

meanwhile, some teams are able to make great decisions that is counter-intuitive to simply a W/L record. for example,

NYJets fired Mangini despite 9-7 (with injured QB), coming off a playoff appearence under Mangini in 2007.

Switzer?!?!?! the dude won a Super Bowl. his teams came out prepared and ready to play. Dude did an exemplary job getting that team prepared and they came out sticking people. The reason the Cowboys lost their dynasty-like run wasn't because of JJ leaving, it was because they lost Irvin who was the heart and soul of that team. Couple that with injury problems for Aikman and that was the demise. contrary to sheeple opinion, it wasn't just Jimmy's team. It was the team Jimmy assembled but that was a different team and was 2 years removed from Jimmy when they won.

Switzer was a HELLUVA coach both in college and NFL. He probably should have won 2 Super Bowls if not for the turnover issue the Cowboys had in Candlestick the year after Jimmy left. Something tells me they would have wiped the floor with the Stan Humphries-led Chargers team...

Geez, I just don't get it. Guys win Super Bowls and they should be run out of town, but a guy has a .500 record and he is God.

umm, no you don't. baldinger and king have forgotten more football than you will ever know. that is just ridiculous comment. you are a fan that pays to watch football, they are experts that are paid to watch football. they didn't win the lottery. there is a reason they get paid. to act like you and even TC know more than King about even the local team is ludicrous.

dale, vinny and I told you that Carr sucked yet you said it was eveyrone else's fault. but now you say that we were wrong. no, you were wrong.

and you will be wrong again

I do know more about the Texans than King or Baldinger... without a doubt. So do you. That doesn't mean that I know more about football than they do.

Regarding Carr, I was encouraged that he was going to be good until 2005. Then, I argued he should have an opportunity to play for a real offense in 2006. I thought there was a good chance we'd see dramatic improvement from 2005. My impression of him in 2003-2004 was that he was a young, improving QB. I had not heard about his lack of committment at that point. I gave up on him in the middle of the 2006 season. So, yes I was wrong about Carr... just like Dan Reeves and Gary Kubiak was. I'm wrong about stuff all the time. Just like you were wrong about Frank Bush and Vinny was comedicly wrong about Brian Cushing. And, you are right, I will be wrong again. And, so will Brian Baldinger and Peter King.

I'm glad that McNair doesn't set arbritrary standards to make his decisions. I would rather him look at the situation in a more holistic manner, understanding that complexities exist. There are variables and circumstances which can not be forecast ahead of time. It would be foolish to ignore those and make decisions solely on an arbritrary standard.

I'm not quite sure what you just said... :um:

Arbitrary is defined: Determined by chance, whim, or impulse, and not by necessity, reason, or principle

It seems to me that McNair is basing decisions on arbitrary standards, whereas other owners have firm goals that must be met in order to earn an extension.

Every team in the league experiences "variables and circumstances which can not be forecast ahead of time" every year. There are reasons and there are excuses, and often they are the same thing. It depends on which side of the aisle you're on, I guess.

You say that our our owner is 'holistic' in his decisions (whatever that means), then it stands to reason that his obvious arbitrary standards reveal his true feelings.

And that is clearly a sense of contentment with the direction of this team by granting Kubiak not only a 'stay of execution' but a pardon with a two year extension.

I'm not arguing about the pro/con of keeping Kubiak. He's our head coach for 2010 and most likely beyond.

What Baldinger said is probably closer to the truth than not. Flower the language all you want, but the support of Baldinger's perspective is in action, not words. McNair's actions clearly reveal his position on the subject.

This thread is going nuclear in 3...2...1...

Well it held in there a little longer than I think both you and I thought it would. Make no mistake now though, it's on it's way.....

nuclear_bomb_mushroom_cloud.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back