Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Badboy's 2020 offseason: draft/FA/trades

badboy

Hall of Fame
Several other sites have already started 2020 mock drafts. General information I will continue to post in my college 2019 thread. I will try to link my info but Troy Chapman at Texans Cap. Com; spotrak.com and Jason Fitzgerald at over the Cap. Com

Our current 2019 cap space approximately 21 million dollars. 2020 approximately 90 million projected. 2021 would be the beginning of any new CBA.

badboy

Hall of Fame
The draft rounds for 2020 but I will be focusing on:

2nd

3. Seattle (Clowney)

3. Ours may go for Duke Johnson if he is active 10 games

3. Comp projected

4.1 Miami

4. Ours if we lose 3rd to Browns

badboy

Hall of Fame
Cuts or trades from 2020 roster to increase cap space:

Nick Martin GTD 18.35 GTD with $5 signing + $7.5 2019 GTD. 2020 partially GTD but post June 1st 2020 trade brings savings of 7.5 million

Mancz 2.25

Fulton trade post June 1st $7 m savings

With need for offensive linemen perhaps a trade can be made in 2020 for these three players. Possibly a way to pick up some backups and low round picks.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Still early and difficult to project but our offense especially the oline may be working out as we all hoped. If so, our focus should be on the defense.

Joseph if he has a great year could be back on another team friendly deal although I would like to move him to a backup at most.

I don't see Robey back at all. Cannot afford to get into a bidding war on him.

Lonnie Johnson pre-draft I saw as a safety but he could be our future nickle CB.

Xavier Crawford I hope develops into our starting outside man coverage DB.

A fan of Phillip Gaines when he came out of school, I hope he develops into at least a solid backup if not a replacement in 2020 for Joseph.

Barring an extremely deep cornerback draft, I think our first pick has to be a corner.

Our two thirds I have as another corner and a safety.
I am going to start researching possible free agents

Childress79

Waterboy
I really enjoy this type of stuff. The article you posted was an interesting look at roster construction in relation to the salary cap. If I were to come up with who I think makes up the Texans 10 players, my list would be:
1) Deshaun Watson: no brainer choice to get a long, lucrative extension ASAP. I would probably try and negotiate a team friendly extension with Watson and Tunsil this offseason hoping an early payday would benefit the salary cap.
2) Deandre Hopkins: best receiver in football is locked in for 3 additional seasons after this one.
3) Laremy Tunsil: See above re: no brainer, given what we sacrificed to get him he is going to get PAID.
4) Nick Martin: Not one of the players I would have put on our 10 list but OBrien obviously has an affinity for Martin.
5) Zach Fulton: Signed for 2 seasons after this one, is a glue guy on the o-line that can play all along the interior.
6) JJ Watt: best player in team history, is reaching the final stretch of his peak but will be better than average for the remaining years of his contract and could give a discount to offset his injury years down the line.
7) DJ Reader: along with Mercilus, a must re-sign this offseason. Is gradually becoming as dangerous against the pass as he is the run.
8) Whitney Mercilus: more than adequate replacement for JD, I would look to sign him to big money on a short contract (2 or 3 years) given his age
9) Bernardrick McKinney: effective run stopper and pass rusher who is signed for 3 more seasons
10) Zach Cunningham: nice compliment to McKinney who handles more of the coverage duties

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
The draft rounds for 2020 but I will be focusing on:

2nd

3. Seattle (Clowney)

3. Ours may go for Duke Johnson if he is active 10 games

3. Comp projected

4.1 Miami

4. Ours if we lose 3rd to Browns
Dang I'm gonna miss not having a first round pick because I so enjoy all of the mock Draft stuff leading up to the Draft but atleast it won't be as bad as a couple years back when our highest pick was a third rounder.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Dang I'm gonna miss not having a first round pick because I so enjoy all of the mock Draft stuff leading up to the Draft but atleast it won't be as bad as a couple years back when our highest pick was a third rounder.
I am looking at the loss of a first round as drafting Tunsil with that pic. If we had not made the trade we would have more than likely drafted left tackle first round. I see greater than 70-30 the offensive line, wide receivers, tight ends and running backs as doing very well this season. I think the 2019 off-season gave us the launching platform . The only position we must improve is cornerback. Certainly other good picks will improve us but if we hit on that position we should be looking really good. Even more importantly we should have cap space to pick up at least one really good free agent even if we extend current players.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I'm going to dabble here with some thoughts in regards to UFA. OL is still an issue and a solid veteran could really do wonders with this group.

My first priority UFA signing would be RG, Brandon Scherff- Redskins. Former RD1 pick from Iowa is a road grader who would definitely improve the run game......to the right side. I see him as an attainable FA signing considering the Redskins have to get Williams signed as well. This move could re-shape the OL into this configuration:

LT- Tunsil
LG- Scharping
OC- Fulton
RG- Scherff
RT- Howard

Folks, this would be an NFL OL with years ahead of it. Equally big move, dumping Martin's contract. However, this move can be done provided the Texans want to make Scherff the highest paid RG in the NFL. Might set them back 14M per season but his value could be worth every penny in stabilizing this unit into one of the NFL's best.

I'd also look at the following CB's......would go deeper but my iPad is about to power down.

CB- Byron Jones- Cowboys

CB- Kendall Fuller- Chiefs

CB- Trae Waynes- Vikings

Young guys coming off rookie contracts. May not be available but that could depend on those teams cap situation cone this off-season.

I'd also take a look at DE, Leonard Williams- Jets. Former RD1 pick who's done ok with the Jets but could get more upside out of him playing opposite Watt. Also, could be a reasonable addition in regards to what his market value may be.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Have Not Watched Jones closely, has double-digit tackles if I remember correctly but Robey is an enigma to me. One really good play Then another not close to where he's supposed to be. With this roster as is I am reluctant to go with free agents on downhill from their Peak. I was surprised and disappointed Raiders did not make a big time trade offer for Clowney. I wanted to use assets from that deal to get Jalen Ramsey. Dream big I guess

badboy

Hall of Fame
With Fulton's back injuries pre game, I'm concerned about his future with us.
We already need two corners in 2020 and I could easily see us needing Center and RG. And that's if Sharpie and Howard are good at LG and RT. Sigh, I am still not 100% on Tunsil.

badboy

Hall of Fame
This season appears to be another deep one for the 2020 draft at corner position. As Virginia's Corner Bryce Hall and my first pick in the third round went out with an apparently season-ending injury I'm very glad of this.

Here are some of the corners I am following this year but in no particular order as far as where I think they will be ranked.

LSU's Fulton and Alabama's Trevon Diggs should be gone first round but it is fun to watch them play. Others who could drop or will be in later rounds include CJ Henderson of University of Florida, Utah's Jalen Johnson, Kristian Fulton LSU( seems not to be getting the love I thought he would at least so far), Clemson's AJ Terrell, Alabama's corner Shyhiem Carter, Notre Dame's Troy Pride, Iowa's Michael Ojemudia ( have yet to watch him), Arizona senior Jace Whittaker and Central Florida's Nevelle Clarke.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This season appears to be another deep one for the 2020 draft at corner position. As Virginia's Corner Bryce Hall and my first pick in the third round went out with an apparently season-ending injury I'm very glad of this.

Here are some of the corners I am following this year but in no particular order as far as where I think they will be ranked.

LSU's Fulton and Alabama's Trevon Diggs should be gone first round but it is fun to watch them play. Others who could drop or will be in later rounds include CJ Henderson of University of Florida, Utah's Jalen Johnson, Kristian Fulton LSU( seems not to be getting the love I thought he would at least so far), Clemson's AJ Terrell, Alabama's corner Shyhiem Carter, Notre Dame's Troy Pride, Iowa's Michael Ojemudia ( have yet to watch him), Arizona senior Jace Whittaker and Central Florida's Nevelle Clarke.
Add Amik Robertson to this list.

He looks very fluid in his movements.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
Cam Akers - FSU Jr. RB 5'11" 212 really quick ... 4.1 - 4.5 - Field instinct like Johnny Football .... it's like he's aware of what move to make before it presents itself .... so quick to make even over the top blocks .... what a change of pace back. Like Forest Gump .... born to run !

badboy

Hall of Fame
Cam Akers - FSU Jr. RB 5'11" 212 really quick ... 4.1 - 4.5 - Field instinct like Johnny Football .... it's like he's aware of what move to make before it presents itself .... so quick to make even over the top blocks .... what a change of pace back. Like Forest Gump .... born to run !
I'm still cautious although he seems to have recovered from 2018 down year with ankle injury and new coaches with different scheme. At 154/773 @5.0 8 TDs I project him at 1300 yards rushing (22 attempts per game x 5.0 x 5 more games =550.

Here's some info from
https://nflmocks.com/2019/05/29/2020-nfl-draft-fsu-rb-cam-akers-scouting-report/

badboy

Hall of Fame
I’d really like to see a new, young RB here next season. Hyde is a FA in 2020, not to mention he turns 30 in September. They struck out with Foreman but that doesn’t mean they should stop trying.
Re-sign Hyde or not, I expect no higher than 7th used with Duke and Buddy Howell in mix. Do expect several UDFAs brought in next off season to sort thru.

OptimisticTexan

Re-sign Hyde or not, I expect no higher than 7th used with Duke and Buddy Howell in mix. Do expect several UDFAs brought in next off season to sort thru.
I really wish the Texans would open their eyes to certain things......like a player's performance and impact on the team. Texans are not in 1st place without Hyde this season. He's been a major player in the success of this offense. He's doing this behind an OL that hasn't been great or maybe even slightly above average. I'd sign Hyde to an extension before the season ends. Then I'd focus on shoring up the OL for the 2020 season which should have a profound impact on Hyde's production if successful.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I really wish the Texans would open their eyes to certain things......like a player's performance and impact on the team. Texans are not in 1st place without Hyde this season. He's been a major player in the success of this offense. He's doing this behind an OL that hasn't been great or maybe even slightly above average. I'd sign Hyde to an extension before the season ends. Then I'd focus on shoring up the OL for the 2020 season which should have a profound impact on Hyde's production if successful.
I definitely get this but I think OBrien is convinced (Duke and Hyde this season) that he does not have to spend big bucks or draft capital to get good RB production. We gave up only Rankin to avoid waiver and got Hyde for $1.9 million cap which is an amazing deal for his production. Let's consider few things:
1. Hyde turns 30 Sept 20,2020.

Carlos Hyde Player Overview
Hyde has had a series of injuries (9) in just 3 years in the NFL. That includes a pair of concussions as well as issue with his foot, both knees, shoulder, back and ankle. He tore his MCL in Week 16 last season, but did not require surgery. The Niners starting RB has played in just 34 of 48 games. His health will be an ongoing concern for fantasy players.

To be fair, none I can find since December 2016 and missed final game and avoided surgery MCL. As with Clowney do you pay him and sweat his health? I know more than just injury/money/age with JD but the mind set remains the same.

Okay, that's the negatives and here I what I'd do:

I would add in the tremendous value we got from him this season. He has 836 yard with 76 avg per game. Let's set PATs to the side and use the final 4 regular seasons {76x4=304} 836+304= 1,190 so better than 1200 and I think 1300+. Cap hit < $2 m. No matter what we think of OB this is amazing! I have to give Hyde credit and offer him a higher deal than the negative above indicate. There is no reason he should not be able to get close to 1K yards next two seasons as roster is and IMO going forward the offensive package will improve and offer assurance of this.

2019 Leonard Fournette $7.4, Lamar Miller $7.2 and Saquan Barkley $7.1. To me I will compare him to Fournette at Jags who is 24 YOA who has about same stats. I would offer Hyde three years 15 million with seven GTD with that $7 m being a signing bonus spread over the three seasons.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I definitely get this but I think OBrien is convinced (Duke and Hyde this season) that he does not have to spend big bucks or draft capital to get good RB production. We gave up only Rankin to avoid waiver and got Hyde for $1.9 million cap which is an amazing deal for his production. Let's consider few things:
1. Hyde turns 30 Sept 20,2020.

To be fair, none I can find since December 2016 and missed final game and avoided surgery MCL. As with Clowney do you pay him and sweat his health? I know more than just injury/money/age with JD but the mind set remains the same.

Okay, that's the negatives and here I what I'd do:

I would add in the tremendous value we got from him this season. He has 836 yard with 76 avg per game. Let's set PATs to the side and use the final 4 regular seasons {76x4=304} 836+304= 1,190 so better than 1200 and I think 1300+. Cap hit < $2 m. No matter what we think of OB this is amazing! I have to give Hyde credit and offer him a higher deal than the negative above indicate. There is no reason he should not be able to get close to 1K yards next two seasons as roster is and IMO going forward the offensive package will improve and offer assurance of this.

2019 Leonard Fournette $7.4, Lamar Miller $7.2 and Saquan Barkley $7.1. To me I will compare him to Fournette at Jags who is 24 YOA who has about same stats. I would offer Hyde three years 15 million with seven GTD with that $7 m being a signing bonus spread over the three seasons.
I would offer Hyde just over the vet min for 2 yrs and draft a RB in the 3rd rd. It's a deep RB draft and Moss/Harris/Akers could be available and would be upgrades.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I would offer Hyde just over the vet min for 2 yrs and draft a RB in the 3rd rd. It's a deep RB draft and Moss/Harris/Akers could be available and would be upgrades.
Ha, no. Only about $800,000 next year and he made $1m more this season. I think we need our third round pick for other positions

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Ha, no. Only about $800,000 next year and he made $1m more this season. I think we need our third round pick for other positions
Gotta go where the strength of the draft is. WR/RB/OL/DT/CB. IMHO

Weak yr for edge.

I agree 100%! He’s been a staple of our offense this season. He fits very well in this system. The FO should sign him to a 2-3 year deal easily. I honestly don’t think he’ll leave. He’s floated around a lot, but he was a perfect fit here. Why would he leave?

Gotta go where the strength of the draft is. WR/RB/OL/DT/CB. IMHO

Weak yr for edge.
It’s unfortunate that it’s a weak year for edge. We need a pass rush. Without pressure on the QB, our secondary would be exposed.
Are there any players that have sparked your interest?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It’s unfortunate that it’s a weak year for edge. We need a pass rush. Without pressure on the QB, our secondary would be exposed.
Bradlee Anae from Utah/ Kenny Willekes/Tipa Galeia/Curtis Weaver.

I really like Weaver and Anae.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Are there any stud DLs out there? The only one I've heard of is that dude from Ohio St.
If you can't get pressure from the edge then upgrade the push in the middle. :D

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Are there any stud DLs out there? The only one I've heard of is that dude from Ohio St.
If you can't get pressure from the edge then upgrade the push in the middle. :D
Brown from Auburn is a stud

Gallimore from Oklahoma has great athletic ability.

Chaisson the edge from LSU has ability.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I was just reading into Anae yesterday, and was going to do some more research.
I would love to get your thoughts on him. Looks like he's got a quick 1st step and violent hands. Pretty athletic and they use him some in coverage. What I like was the Washington tape, he was going up against LT Adams (Possible 1st rd pick who would've been a high 1st rd pick without injury) Adams got the best of Anae in the 1st half but Anae came back in the 2nd half and got 2 or 3 sacks. That shows me he can adapt and has great stamina. Cant wait to see Anae at the Sr Bowl.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
There is a big chance Trey Adams T Washington falls a long way down in this draft due to his injury history.
Last season he had an ACL and this season was lost due to a back injury.
If he was healthy he would easily be top 10 in the draft - described as a natural for the position with proto-typical size as well.
Do Texans take a flyer on him if he is still on the board for our 2nd rounder?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
There is a big chance Trey Adams T Washington falls a long way down in this draft due to his injury history.
Last season he had an ACL and this season was lost due to a back injury.
If he was healthy he would easily be top 10 in the draft - described as a natural for the position with proto-typical size as well.
Do Texans take a flyer on him if he is still on the board for our 2nd rounder?
You could do worse, you could move Howard back inside and have a great young OL.

Then you could let Fulton go clearing out even more cap space and fill holes in FA.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Bradlee Anae from Utah/ Kenny Willekes/Tipa Galeia/Curtis Weaver.

I really like Weaver and Anae.
reports I see say Weaver whom I like will not transition well to NFL. I'd like to see him at ILB. Willeke also has detractors but I like Anae and Terrell Lewis who showed no issue this season from injury.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think OBrien goes to Cal saying give me my QB and I can get you to SB. Firing HC doesn't bring anything different to roster. Five firsts in 2020 and three comps thirds and probably and extra fourth in 2021 when we have no first or second would bring freshness.

1.4 DE Chase Young could be a JJ Watt and at minimum Clowney, a great floor.

1.16 WR Jerry Jeudy replaces Will Fuller (hopefully get something for him besides $10 m) and is best WR in draft.

1.18 WR CeeDee Lamb replaces whom many analysts compare him to--Hop. Again, I think Hopkins is one of if not best WR in NFL but we need two firsts rounders more.

1.22 QB Gordon Washing State 12 g: 465/645 72.1% 5,228 @ 8.1 per

1.23 LT/RG Alex Leatherwood Alabama starts game 1 RG where he played 2018 and offers safety net if talks with Tunsil fail.

2.54 OLB Terrell Lewis or Bradley Anae or Anferee Jenkins

3 (Seattle- CLowney) CB Troy Pride Notre Dame
3.comp for KJack Safety Shyiem Carter
3 ours to Browns for Duke Johnson
3. comp for Badger to Oakland for Conley

4.3 (Miami Tunsil) LT Samuel Cosmi UTx
4 ours Rb Travis Entienne

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I think OBrien goes to Cal saying give me my QB and I can get you to SB. Firing HC doesn't bring anything different to roster. Five firsts in 2020 and three comps thirds and probably and extra fourth in 2021 when we have no first or second would bring freshness.

1.4 DE Chase Young could be a JJ Watt and at minimum Clowney, a great floor.

1.16 WR Jerry Jeudy replaces Will Fuller (hopefully get something for him besides $10 m) and is best WR in draft.

1.18 WR CeeDee Lamb replaces whom many analysts compare him to--Hop. Again, I think Hopkins is one of if not best WR in NFL but we need two firsts rounders more.

1.22 QB Gordon Washing State 12 g: 465/645 72.1% 5,228 @ 8.1 per

1.23 LT/RG Alex Leatherwood Alabama starts game 1 RG where he played 2018 and offers safety net if talks with Tunsil fail.

2.54 OLB Terrell Lewis or Bradley Anae or Anferee Jenkins

3 (Seattle- CLowney) CB Troy Pride Notre Dame
3.comp for KJack Safety Shyiem Carter
3 ours to Browns for Duke Johnson
3. comp for Badger to Oakland for Conley

4.3 (Miami Tunsil) LT Samuel Cosmi UTx
4 ours Rb Travis Entienne
Who is the trade partner?

badboy

Hall of Fame
My historic (if you will)stance was wanting O'Brien gone for at least two seasons and IIRC was doubting him three. I've been excited & optimistic Watson take step up. I've been fair in my posts for both taking neither "it's all one or the others fault" but hoping after wins vs Colts & NE that we should blow out Denver.

I didn't have the myocardial infarc, more surprisingly to me, I wasn't even angry just totally disgusted. Returning from church pre-game I heard one of 610 radio guys say Denver better than their record. I replied.."No they ain't" chuckled.

Coaches made errors including RAC and O'Brien. Players made some also especially Tunsil at least three false starts (at least they seem to come against Von Miller). I do not see Cal McNair firing O'Brien whether I think it's justified or not. At most he may force him to make coaching changes.. while that will help (Devlin) it will not be enough. My proposal will cause board melt down but I am not calling to blow up team. 11-5 at best is not enough for me and anything less than getting to Super Bowl will not satisfy me-- that isn't happening. My belief now is Watson was not HC's choice & while OBrien has not played him as I would, I think he will go hat in hand to Cal, say "I took a guy I didn't want & did as best I could with the team I had". I mentioned this POV another thread IIRC.
My move:
1. Miami desperate wants a QB & has 1.4 & 1.22 & 1.23-1.25 (depending on the analyst). They were locked in to Tua before Dolphins begin to win. Tua also got injured and not only begin to drop in rankings but may not even come out if he looks to go lower than top five. Burrow off board Tua possibly not the choice at #4. IMO, no other QB will do. They need franchise type & only two of those if Tua comes out. They cannot settle for "good" or "potential/high ceiling" like Herbert, Fromm or even Jordan Love nor can they chance a Mineshew or Lock. Tua a franchise type is too risky due to his injury, no way can they wait for long odds of Trevor Lawrence in 2021.

Watson for those three first round picks. He is closer to a franchise type QB than Tua & Burrow not there. Miami would probably snicker at not only getting Watson but using our 2020 first to get him.

2. Oakland almost as desperately wants a franchise WR, thought they snookered Pittsburgh with a 3rd & 5th for a looney tunes AB. They will step up for Deandre Hopkins giving 1.16 and 1.18. I'm huge Hop fan but we need to move on and get two starters for him.

1.4, 1.16, 1.18, 1.22 and 1.23 plus our own selections would go long way to right this craziness. Letting Fells, Hyde, Reader, Roby and Mercilus go in FA would give us comp ammo in 2022 when we don't have a first or second.
My reasoning for trades as posted in Denver game thread.

OptimisticTexan

Sorry I copied from another thread that I had posted in. Miami offers the three first-round picks and Oakland the 1.16 and 1.18 for DeAndre Hopkins.
Bad boy....is that offers from both the Dolphins or Raiders? Personally, I think the world of Hopkins but I don't think he lands the Texans multiple RD1 picks in the same draft. I'd be extremely happy if a trade of Watson got me a 2020 RD1 and RD3 then a RD2 and RD4 in 2021. That would be a haul in my book. Sure the 2020 Draft will have Some really good receivers.....at the moment, they're good on paper and not on the field. Hopkins controls the field at the NFL level already, that's what makes his trade value relevant.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Bad boy....is that offers from both the Dolphins or Raiders? Personally, I think the world of Hopkins but I don't think he lands the Texans multiple RD1 picks in the same draft. I'd be extremely happy if a trade of Watson got me a 2020 RD1 and RD3 then a RD2 and RD4 in 2021. That would be a haul in my book. Sure the 2020 Draft will have Some really good receivers.....at the moment, they're good on paper and not on the field. Hopkins controls the field at the NFL level already, that's what makes his trade value relevant.
Personally, if I were to trade Watson (and at this point I wouldn't) I would want two 2020 firsts, a 2020 2nd and a 2021 first and they would all have to be inside the top ten.
I would ask the same for Nuk.
Or no deal.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
If Hyde can finish out the rest of this season without injury and 1200 yards, I say keep him.
For mine he is better than Lamar Miller who is 28 now as well. If there is a way we only take a small cap hit with him I lose him - he never impressed me anyway.
Pay Hyde (per my condition above) 4 mil per for 3 years, keep Duke and ink him to a similar deal.
If they decline the deal, then you need to draft a good RB prospect and keep Miller.
I like the 1-2 punch we have with Hyde and Johnson right now - they offset each other well with Hyde being the battering ram and Duke the option with his great hands.
It would serve Texans well if they could draft a nice prospect to work into the mix next season. Gives you more options.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I'm going to dabble here with some thoughts in regards to UFA. OL is still an issue and a solid veteran could really do wonders with this group.

My first priority UFA signing would be RG, Brandon Scherff- Redskins. Former RD1 pick from Iowa is a road grader who would definitely improve the run game......to the right side. I see him as an attainable FA signing considering the Redskins have to get Williams signed as well. This move could re-shape the OL into this configuration:

LT- Tunsil
LG- Scharping
OC- Fulton
RG- Scherff
RT- Howard

Folks, this would be an NFL OL with years ahead of it. Equally big move, dumping Martin's contract. However, this move can be done provided the Texans want to make Scherff the highest paid RG in the NFL. Might set them back 14M per season but his value could be worth every penny in stabilizing this unit into one of the NFL's best.

I'd also look at the following CB's......would go deeper but my iPad is about to power down.

CB- Byron Jones- Cowboys

CB- Trae Waynes- Vikings

Young guys coming off rookie contracts. May not be available but that could depend on those teams cap situation cone this off-season.

I'd also take a look at DE, Leonard Williams- Jets. Former RD1 pick who's done ok with the Jets but could get more upside out of him playing opposite Watt. Also, could be a reasonable addition in regards to what his market value may be.
I think we do need a decent younger pass rusher to add to our line.
As much as I admire JJ, he seems to be picking up a lot of injuries and we have seen how poor our rush is recently.
A healthy JJ out there with Reader opens up the rush for Texans big time so the need for a healthy assistant for Reader is obvious.

badboy

Hall of Fame
1.4 & 1.22 & 1.23 from Miami then 1.16 & 1.18 from Raiders. Watkins is a franchise player with upside and huge stats breaking NFL records yearly. We should step away from personal feelings about any player and see what he is valued at. I am open to 1.4 & 1.22 or 23 plus other compensation to be discussed for Dashaun but not much else. I want a shot at the BP in draft Chase Young at #4. He could be Watts eventual replacement and a CLowney game one. Only Young, Burrows, Jeudy are "can't miss" with Lamb really close and he plays like Hopkins. Burrows gone 1.1 and only choice if there at 1.4 I would take over Young. I can accept one of either Jeudy or Lamb but at least one should be there lower in first round. If I am giving up a franchise QB and WR I need to replace them with possible future franchise guys. I anticipate more research that will move pieces of trades around like including Fuller to Miami.

Fortunately for me, my QB choice Gordon should be available later so if Young gone, I could trade #4 down but I need one of the two WRs.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Personally, if I were to trade Watson (and at this point I wouldn't) I would want two 2020 firsts, a 2020 2nd and a 2021 first and they would all have to be inside the top ten.
I would ask the same for Nuk.
Or no deal.
If I knew I had the trade for Hop, I could see 1.4 +one of the other two Dolphin picks + 2.3 and the 2021 first. I could get Young or trade down from #4; Lamb; and rest of my picks. I don't have to have Leatherwood but he is enticing.

badboy

Hall of Fame
If Hyde can finish out the rest of this season without injury and 1200 yards, I say keep him.
For mine he is better than Lamar Miller who is 28 now as well. If there is a way we only take a small cap hit with him I lose him - he never impressed me anyway.
Pay Hyde (per my condition above) 4 mil per for 3 years, keep Duke and ink him to a similar deal.
If they decline the deal, then you need to draft a good RB prospect and keep Miller.
I like the 1-2 punch we have with Hyde and Johnson right now - they offset each other well with Hyde being the battering ram and Duke the option with his great hands.
It would serve Texans well if they could draft a nice prospect to work into the mix next season. Gives you more options.
Miller is in last contract year and is FA this off season. If he goes elsewhere for a decent deal and plays lights out, we might get a low comp or he might cancel out one of our lesser FA pickups but I haven't researched.

I think Hyde will get a better offer and we should not match as will Reader and Fells. Duke is under a team friendly contract thru 2021 & was one of the plums to trading for him.

badboy

Hall of Fame

LT- Tunsil
LG- Scharping
OC- Fulton
RG- Scherff
RT- Howard

CB- Byron Jones- Cowboys

CB- Trae Waynes- Vikings

I've considered all those vets and wanted Scherff if we traded for Trent but if we can get Leatherwood a perfect RG---I think we can go with draft picks if draft falls as I think.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Recently cut Terrell Suggs at 37 years of age is having a pretty significant season; if we picked him up the remainder of his base year would be just over $300,000 and definitely worth a try out. CB Janoris Jenkins who was just released hours ago for using the word retard I would sign him in a New York Minute. Combined 54 tackles and four interceptions with 14 pass defended. We also would owe him a small portion of his contract and control his fifth year option of just under 15 million dollars. Would be instant starter and a replacement for Roby in 2020 should he move on. Roby will want in that same monetary area and Has a significant injury history. News reports 'll say both are subject to the waiver wire but page 155 of the 2001 current CBA discuss rules of waivers states that a player who has earned his fourth year NFL eligibility season & has completed that 4th season become immediate unrestricted if cut.

badboy

Hall of Fame
According to just release report by Bleachers Ohio State Chase Young's plan is to remain at school for his final year of eligibility. If that happens I will be shocked. Most mocks have him at number two and I have him as a top five overall.