Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

BADBOY's 2019 offseason FA, trade possibilities and draft thoughts

badboy

Hall of Fame
Purpose of thread to consolidate my posts from other threads such as new contracts and 'ideal off season'; offer my info from my resources and answer questions I get into one location. Hope you enjoy the read.

to be clear Gurley's $45 million gtd has almost $23 million pushed to future seasons beginning in 2020 with roster bonuses for 2020 thru 2023 avg $5 m plus. IF he's unable to meet roster there will be no GTD; same could be done with Bell reducing risk. If Gurley out after 2019 for any reason dead money is about $13m. The $21 million signing bonus made up the rest and that was prorated at $4.2 each with small amounts pushed back into 2018 and 2019; so a six year spread not four. I think Bell can be given a lesser but comparable deal that offers lower caps with his GTD paid off at end of 2022 when he is 30 and that is a reasonable age for a RB in his prime. Similar roster bonuses could reduced Bell dead money to after this season to very similar and probably less than Gurley.
my quote from my thread "new contracts".

Many on this MB and other sources I review are adamant nay horrified that Le'Veon Bell wants his historical efforts to be recognised as not only one of best, consistent running backs but also as a receiver. Also that he compares himself to Gurley and there have been comments about his locker room 'disruption' and his weight. I have already addressed those elsewhere & will try not to repeat here unless a specific post requires.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Not much out there at LT free agency other than Brown unless you think Ju'Wuan James could switch over. Donovon Smith is reportedly returning to Miami. None here as high on Davenport as I am but I've pushed to sign Brown and allow D and Rankin to battle for LG. If Gaines is ruling out Brown is he saying D will start? Who backs up RT Henderson if no FA signed for this spot? Want to take chance on him even with draft RT? My scenario is sign James, move H to backup and draft Scharping or Howard to backup RT and RG. We've got the cap space so play with big dogs or stay on porch!
Corner: sign Ronald Darby (1st year low GTD with huge 2nd season incentive (NLTBE doesn't count against cap til next season)due to ACL. He replaces Joseph 2020 whom he was compared to at combine. I'd also sign Nelson hoping he'd play opposite Darby/Joseph [other as b/up]. Draft CBs to fill rest of corps with Colvin recovering or cut. His dead $10.5 can be absorbed if no good & allow another guy to get reps. I will be adding soon to this thread on a contract suggestion for Bell and soon a new thread in college forum to discuss free agency and draft for Texans.

LT Brown, LG D/Rankin C Martin/Fulton RG Fulton/rookie RT James/Henderson

RBs Bell, Darrell Henderson, Foreman
This from another thread and one I will use and adjust ongoing in this thread. Unlike previous offseasons, Houston has lots of cap space (Thank you Chris Olson for getting team out of cap hell) and for once free agent options [some limited to one or two at certain positions] of experienced, young, reasonably cost effective players at our need positions. I will address the offensive line, corners, safeties and running backs as my priorities. I will try not to get bogged down in arguments on why I don't want certain players that I have already commented on ad nauseum nor will {help me Jesus} respond to comments about guys like Davenport, Bell, Lamar Miller as my POV is well known. Also will try to keep these "topical posts" short enough to read without taking a nap and restricted to one player or subject matter. As new info arrives for me frequently, I will skip around between areas of thread's title.

badboy

Hall of Fame
The field of teams possibly interested in Antonio Brown and or Le'Veon Bell seems to be constricting. I found out last night that Colts are now out as interested in both and Forty Niners out on Bell. Oakland may remain interested in both although Gruden/Mayock have said not interested in older vets.
The Raiders will take a different approach to free agency this year. They signed a massive number of veteran free agents -- many of them 30 or older -- during Jon Gruden’s first offseason back as Raiders coach. That plan was executed thinking the team could compete, but it didn’t pan out. The Raiders are in a full rebuild now, one that will take some time.

Gruden said he wants “blossoming young players” from free agency this year. That certainly will decrease the number and quality, meaning they might pay more to a select few this time around. The Raiders primarily will reconstruct the roster through the NFL draft over established veterans allowed to hit the market.

“From my perspective, free agency is always looked at with caution,” Mayock said. “There are more busts over time than there have been Pro Bowl players. What are you looking to do in free agency? Fill some holes. We have some holes we need to fill.

"I’d much rather have some young guys who can come in, compete, go to Vegas with us .. as opposed to the 35-year old stopgaps.
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/raiders/raiders-gm-mike-mayock-explains-what-hes-seeking-nfl-free-agency
I'll next post an example of a deal I created to meet Bell's alleged criteria taking into account the afore said shrinking buyers.

badboy

Hall of Fame
RB Todd Gurley's extension with important points in guaranteed (GTD) money posted above. Gurley in July 2018 signed four year extension that added $3 m to 2018 cap and just under one half million to 2019. Escalators can bring overall total from $57.5 m to $60 m if earned. The difference in age would also impact my offer to Bell.

Le'Veon Bell five year $70 m with $45 m GTD {48 yr three} and a $20 m signing bonus prorated five years.
Todd Gurley four year $60 m with $45 m GTD and a $21 m signing bonus prorated four years.

Le'Veon Bell 2019 first year of deal $8 m base salary + $4 m prorated = $12 m cap & $28 m GTD paid.
Todd Gurley 2019 is final year orig deal but prorate begins 5 m base + 4.2 = $9 m cap.

*note 2020 TG begins huge roster bonuses that become GTD that I've not put into Bell's example just to simplify.

2019: $8 m base + $4 m prorated bonus= $12 m cap and $28 m GTD paid. 27 YOA season's end.
2020: $8 m base + $4 m = $12 m $36 28
2021: $8 m base + $4 m = $12 m $44 (45 owed) 29

2022: worded as desired to meet team needs as no GTD left. $8 m prorated remains as dead money for cap
2023: same as 2022

*2019 GTD total is close to reported $33 m by Pittsburgh that in actuality didn't pay 33 year one but was 'floated' through the years that in fact may not have been earned.

* likely {LTBE} and not likely to be earned (NLTBEs)incentives can be used with latter not counted until next year cap.

* I think it would show Bell his respect as Hopkins as a 27 YOA extended 5 yr $81 m $49m GTD

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
LTBE incentives are just that and count against cap as soon as met. OTOH, Not Likely to Be Earned (NLTBE) incentives are often used but not mentioned when throwing around contract numbers. If earned they are applied retroactively after season ends. Something unusual is soon to happen as 2020 is the final year of current collective bargaining agreement (CBA) for NFL and Players Association. This could impact Texans signing free agents now with said contracts extending past 2020.
Included changes are:

1. The 30% rule restricting the annual increase of a contract for seasons after CBA ends.

2. The 2020 FINAL LEAGUE YEAR will allow teams to have one franchise tag player and a transition tag player in effect keeping two players from leaving in free agency. WR Will Fuller, DJ Reader, Dylan Cole and maybe Martin?

3. No post June 1st designations postponing dead money to following season.

4. Not Likely To Be Earned incentives as do LTBE will count immediately in 2020. Teams like NE used this a lot. $40 million 2018.

http://www.espn.com.au/nfl/story/_/id/26073422/nfl-cba-quirks-a-big-effect-2020-offseason

badboy

Hall of Fame
FA Ronald Darby CB 5'11" 193 4.38 (top performer) vert 41.5 arms 31 3/8" PFF 3/4 years NFL over 70% with 2016 @ 68.3 and ranked best corner FA avail.

Per OTC Market value 6 years @ $80.8 m at $13.46 avg. 7th highest CB in NFL. My offer compares to Jags AJ Bouye's (remember him?) 5 yr $67.5 m $25 m guaranteed and $10 m signing bonus. Roster bonus game 9 seasons one and two due to historical injuries. Expected 100% by preseason.

My offer: 6 year $80 m $25 m GTD and a $10 m signing bonus:
Year BASE SALARY Prorated Roster CAP Total GTD paid
2019 $ 4 m $2 m $2 m $8 m $16 m
2020 $ 8 2 1 11 25 and done
2021 12.5 2 14.5 $6 m dead if cut/traded
2022 12.5 2 14.5 4
2023 15 2 17 2
2024 15 15

Player info: 2nd round pick by Bills with good stats but HC fired 2017 & Darby traded to Eagles for slot WR and a 3rd round. 2017 broke ankle game one vs Dallas returned game 11 = 34 Ts, 9 PBUs and 3 INTs 8 games.
2018 started first 8 games then tore ACL ending season. 43 Ts, 12 PBUs and 1 INT.
Born January 2, 1994 Compared at combine to Johnathan Joseph.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I think signing Bell is doable and makes the kind of impact the Texans need. Eliminates the need to draft a RB in 2019. The Texans would have Bell, Foreman, Miller and yes, I'd sign Blue b/c of his system knowledge And ability to be an above average performer on ST's.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
I think signing Bell is doable and makes the kind of impact the Texans need. Eliminates the need to draft a RB in 2019. The Texans would have Bell, Foreman, Miller and yes, I'd sign Blue b/c of his system knowledge And ability to be an above average performer on ST's.
The Texans don't normally carry 4 RBs. And Blue has no upside. Familiarity isn't sufficient.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I'd dump Miller (cap space) and draft Darrell Henderson. Bell/Forman and Henderson--whooee.

badboy

Hall of Fame
LT/RT Trenton Brown no market value has been set. I used Taylor Lewan and Jake Matthews deals similar ages when extended. Note Lewan was considered top 3 OT and had two pro bowls. Matthews was fortunate Solder had just domino'd but his PFF was 79.2 to Brown's 71. I recognise Brown switched to LT 2018 and started all. He can be cut after season two with only $6 m dead money. Avg for LTs $14 m.

Eight years $122 m. $32 m GTD includes $16 million signing & can be adjusted up by $8 if needed. 26-33 YOA

Year Base Prorated CAP GTD PAID
2019 $8 $2 $10 $24
2020 $8 $2 $10 $32 and completed
2021- $15 $15 $6 2 each x3 dead if traded/cut

badboy

Hall of Fame
This is first entire Nfl round one mock I've done in years due to too much research, old eyes and waking up one hour after saying "wait! what if?" stumbling to desk and powering up the Dell. Trades are based upon info from several sources including from combine recently.

NY Giants trade #6 to Miami for 1.13 + 2.33 (Cards) + 2.48. Those traded then to Raiders for Derek Carr. Raiders trade #27 +#33 +#35 to Texans for Clowney.
Miami turns #6 into Josh Rosen and #33 from Arizona. Second rounder helps safety net on Rosen's 2018 stats.
Jags sign QB Nick Foles FA

1.1 Arizona QB Kyler Murray
1.2 SFran Edge Nick Bosa
1.3 Jets Edge Josh Allen
1.4 Oak QB Dwayne Haskins
1.5 Den QB Drew Lock Combine info says GM Elway loves him ready to move on.
1.6 Arizona OT Andre Dillard but could be Jonah Williams or J. Taylor
1.7 Jags DE Q WIlliams
1.8 Lions CB Andres Williams
1.9 Bills OT Jonah Williams see #6
1.10 TBay OT J.Taylor see #6
1.11 Cinn DL Ed Oliver
1.12 GBay pass rusher Montes Sweat (crazy 40 time)
1.13 Oak WR Metcalf
1.14 Falcons Edge Polite
1.15 Wash DL Clellin Ferrell
1.16 Carol DL Rashan Gary
1.17 Brwn OT Greg Little
1.18 Minn DL C. Wilkens
1.19 Tenn Edge Ximines
1.20 Pitt ILB Devin White (crazy combine)
1.21 Seatt Safe Thompson
1.22 Ravens WR AJ Brown
1.23 TXNS DE/OLB Jaylon Ferguson
1.24 Oak ILB Mack Wilson
1.25 Eagles OT McGary
1.26 Indy Safe Adderly
1.27 TXNS OG Ford
1.28 Chrgr DL Tillery
1.29 KC RB Jacobs
1.30 GBAY TE Fant
1.31 Rams DL Zach Allen
1.32 PATs WR Arcega-Whitesides

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Raiders trade #27 +#33 +#35 to Texans for Clowney.
The Raiders trade Mack for picks because they don't want to spend big $. Then the next year, spend a bunch of picks and presumably sign Clowney to a big contract? Does that make any sense to you? Especially in a year where there are plenty of edge rushers in the draft, coming in on rookie contracts? I would say Oakland is 31st out of the 31 teams likely to trade for Clowney.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The Raiders trade Mack for picks because they don't want to spend big $. Then the next year, spend a bunch of picks and presumably sign Clowney to a big contract? Does that make any sense to you? Especially in a year where there are plenty of edge rushers in the draft, coming in on rookie contracts? I would say Oakland is 31st out of the 31 teams likely to trade for Clowney.
Yep,

Crazy

badboy

Hall of Fame
Didn't you and I discuss this on another thread not long ago? If not you, I know I have posted a response at least once as why Oakland would do this.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Hearing from sources that Ronald Darby being considered as best FA corner and many teams very interested which could drive cost way up. His injury last season doesn't seem to be creating much concern.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Didn't you and I discuss this on another thread not long ago? If not you, I know I have posted a response at least once as why Oakland would do this.
The Raiders didn’t hire draft guru Mike Mayock just to trade away a bunch of picks. They’re building through the draft.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Discussion on Landon Collins if Badger goes to Giants:
New York Giants safety Landon Collins will be available to sign where he wishes come the new league year after the team declined to use the franchise tag him. He was pretty much a safety by name only this past season in New York though, as Collins lined up deep on only 109 of his 804 snaps in 2018, while 549 of them came either in the box or along the line of scrimmage. While it wasn’t quite the same role as your run-of-the-mill three-down linebacker, Collins flashed all the traits necessary to play in the box full-time. Listed at 6-0, 222 pounds, ...
His real value though, and the real value of any linebacker, shines through in the passing game. There’s a vast difference in responsibility between underneath and deep zones. The latter is where Collins admittedly struggled throughout his career, as his angles and lack of top-end speed got exposed down the field. In fact, all six of his pass-breakups this year came either underneath or guarding the slot. His instincts as an underneath zone defender are exceptional as you can see below. if man coverage is more your thing, he’s more than capable of matching a tight end stride for stride or a running back out of the backfield. Collins is coming off a notably down season, but in the two seasons prior he was among the best playmaking box safeties in the NFL. Back in 2016, he led all safeties with 49 defensive stops – three more than even Mosley had this past season. Collins can be the next great safety-turned-linebacker; he just needs the opportunity.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-landon-collins-is-the-best-off-ball-linebacker-entering-free-agency

A reunion with the New York Giants might not be as outrageous in terms of salary cap implications as some might think, especially with the departure of Landon Collins at the safety position in part due to the price tag of $11.15 million he would have carried.

Could the Honey Badger be poised to become a missing piece on the back end of Bettcher's defense? His skill set is different than Collins, and that could allow the Giants to pair Mathieu with a combination of Michael Thomas and Sean Chandler, at least for the moment, with the chance to add another player at the position in free agency and/or the NFL draft next month.Mathieu's strength is in coverage, and the Giants might see his presence as a versatility upgrade to play both deep and in matchup situations, not to mention the flexibility to step into the slot where he could hold up better against receivers than Collins would have. The Giants could offer Mathieu a significant raise on a multi-year deal and it will still be less in 2019 than Collins would've cost against the cap
https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nfl/giants/2019/03/07/ny-giants-positioned-make-strong-run-adding-tyrann-mathieu/3091316002/

badboy

Hall of Fame
Doug Farrar has taken a peek into his crystal ball and sees safety Tyrann Mathieu, who spent 2018 with the Houston Texans, returning to a NFC West avian club, the Seattle Seahawks.
The consolation for the Texans losing Mathieu is they at least address offensive line with the signing of tackle Ja’Wuan James

Adding James to the mix at right tackle would provide a serious upgrade. Not that James is the best right tackle in the business, but he’s far better than anything the Texans are rolling out, and they’d better do something to protect [quarterback Deshaun] Watson’s front side before the poor guy gets vaporized one too many times.
https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/08/free-agency-prediction-texans-lose-tyrann-mathieu/?utm_source=texanswire&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=pos2headline

badboy

Hall of Fame
Teams across the NFL have been asking the Houston Texans about the price for edge rusher Jadeveon Clowney in a trade.

According to Jay Glazer, NFL insider for Fox Sports, the inquiry about Clowney is lost along with the inquiries of other pass rushers as the news cycle fixates on where Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Antonio Brown will land.
If the Texans were to deal Clowney, they would need a hefty offer. The former No. 1 overall pick is a three-time Pro Bowler and an All-Pro who has been effective off the edge for Houston. While Clowney may not have produced a double-digit sack season yet, only Los Angeles Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald, Arizona Cardinals edge rusher Chandler Jones, and New Orleans Saints defensive end Cameron Jordan have had more tackles for loss since 2016.
https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/08/report-teams-trading-texans-jadeveon-clowney/?utm_source=texanswire&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=pos2headline

badboy

Hall of Fame
Raiders pick up possible trade bait and $10 million cap space trading OG to Jets.

The Jets filled one of their many holes Sunday when they acquired massive mauler guard Kelechi Osemele from the Raiders. The Jets parted with a fifth-round draft pick and acquired a sixth-rounder in the deal.
He fills an immediate need at left guard with James Carpenter heading to free agency.

It is an agreement in principle because the trade cannot be processed until the official start of free agency Wednesday.
https://nypost.com/2019/03/10/jets-trade-for-raiders-pro-bowl-guard-kelechi-osemele/

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Pencil in BC OG Chris Lindstrom with one one of their late 1st rounders in you next mock. Not that BC alum Mike Mayock has an affinity for Eagle o-linemen or anything.
Never thought about this, with the Osemele trade they have an opening and Lindstrom would be a great pick. Osemele is a declining player who was making 10 mil. Odds are Lindstrom will be healthier and have the better yr next yr.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I wanted Trent Brown but not at $16.5 m per year. I had pulled away from my "overwhelm the opposition" theory of paying $15 m and had him above at $32 m GTD and caps at $10 first two season. Raiders used my first plan and I'm really glad we didn't sign him for that. I want TB but still think Davenport will be much better especially if Rankin is the LG so many thought he could be coming out at draft.

RT James was on my shopping list but was nervous about his injury. Not getting Brown I would have paid $13 for James but not upset we didn't get him. I doubt any of us really have a handle on Henderson and maybe Texans have a RT in him. 16 games out of Henderson and Fulton could be huge and Martin can get better. We'll see. I'm still not looking for a starting LT in draft but would look hard at Cody Ford for RT in first and Scharping in third to push all the line.

I didn't expect KJack back but good for him on his cash; same for Badger. The reported Texans offer to him of about $10 m was high imo. Both should be starters with new teams and may cancel out FAs we still might get. I think we lose Covington which would put us up for low comp.

Really glad we brought back Fairbairn and Blackson and expected that. We might get Thomas but no longer see Darby due to crazy money.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I wanted Trent Brown but not at $16.5 m per year. I had pulled away from my "overwhelm the opposition" theory of paying $15 m and had him above at $32 m GTD and caps at $10 first two season. Raiders used my first plan and I'm really glad we didn't sign him for that. I want TB but still think Davenport will be much better especially if Rankin is the LG so many thought he could be coming out at draft.

RT James was on my shopping list but was nervous about his injury. Not getting Brown I would have paid $13 for James but not upset we didn't get him. I doubt any of us really have a handle on Henderson and maybe Texans have a RT in him. 16 games out of Henderson and Fulton could be huge and Martin can get better. We'll see. I'm still not looking for a starting LT in draft but would look hard at Cody Ford for RT in first and Scharping in third to push all the line.

I didn't expect KJack back but good for him on his cash; same for Badger. The reported Texans offer to him of about $10 m was high imo. Both should be starters with new teams and may cancel out FAs we still might get. I think we lose Covington which would put us up for low comp.

Really glad we brought back Fairbairn and Blackson and expected that. We might get Thomas but no longer see Darby due to crazy money.
We will revisit this when Watson gets ribs broken/lungs punctured/neck broken.

badboy

Hall of Fame
We will revisit this when Watson gets ribs broken/lungs punctured/neck broken.
:freakout: much? It's not chicken little time yet. :overreact:can happen a bit closer to preseason. It's obvious that many here believe talking with you is :brickwall:. Some of your wording should be :doghouse:. Take a breath and stop being :firehair:maybe go :fishing: and perhaps have a :barman:. :specnatz:Your opinions are well known as you daily :slapfight:. After a thousand times you saying same thing, I become :listening then :zzz:. Lessen the rhetoric and bring some info.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
:freakout: much? It's not chicken little time yet. :overreact:can happen a bit closer to preseason. It's obvious that many here believe talking with you is :brickwall:. Some of your wording should be :doghouse:. Take a breath and stop being :firehair:maybe go :fishing: and perhaps have a :barman:. :specnatz:Your opinions are well known as you daily :slapfight:. After a thousand times you saying same thing, I become :listening then :zzz:. Lessen the rhetoric and bring some info.
Real rich coming from a man who started up his own thread and is basically the only one who replies in it.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Real rich coming from a man who started up his own thread and is basically the only one who replies in it.
It's an informational thread not expecting replies although you seem to reply to many of my posts/threads. There does seem to be a few views though.

Reactions: Max

badboy

Hall of Fame
Roby could be another Badger in hoping to have great season then cash in besides ten million ain't just lunch dinero. I still expect two corners in draft and leaning towards Mullen and Love in round two. We should also get depth in UDFA. CB Kindle Vildor Georgia Southern 5'11" 177
2018: 6 PBU + 4 INTs on 31 receptions on 56 targets. Limited QB to 46.4 passer rating giving up only one TD. 42 tackles 4.5 for loss.

The only thing I get from Gipson is a plug until we have someone ready to take over. IMO best bang is 6/7th round to UDFA Chris Johnson 6'2 1/2" 200 lbs 4.45 from small school Northern Alabama who plays like he belonged on the other Alabama roster. Great stats [6 INTs] in 2017 but QBs rarely looked his way 2018, still he had 2 PBUs and 2 INTs. Perhaps one season behind Gipson and he might be ready.

Another safety in that range of draft is SMU's Mikial Onu 5'11" 205 from Sugarland, TX.
2017: 105 tackles 85 solo, 2 INTs and 7 PBUs
2018: 58 tackles 41 solo, 1 INT and 3 PBUs with one forced fumble.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Roby could be another Badger in hoping to have great season then cash in besides ten million ain't just lunch dinero. I still expect two corners in draft and leaning towards Mullen and Love in round two. We should also get depth in UDFA. CB Kindle Vildor Georgia Southern 5'11" 177
2018: 6 PBU + 4 INTs on 31 receptions on 56 targets. Limited QB to 46.4 passer rating giving up only one TD. 42 tackles 4.5 for loss.

The only thing I get from Gipson is a plug until we have someone ready to take over. IMO best bang is 6/7th round to UDFA Chris Johnson 6'2 1/2" 200 lbs 4.45 from small school Northern Alabama who plays like he belonged on the other Alabama roster. Great stats [6 INTs] in 2017 but QBs rarely looked his way 2018, still he had 2 PBUs and 2 INTs. Perhaps one season behind Gipson and he might be ready.

Another safety in that range of draft is SMU's Mikial Onu 5'11" 205 from Sugarland, TX.
2017: 105 tackles 85 solo, 2 INTs and 7 PBUs
2018: 58 tackles 41 solo, 1 INT and 3 PBUs with one forced fumble.
You gotta throw in the obligatory Bell FF trade in their somewhere.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Looks like you're going to have to wait a year on these two. Both are returning for their Senior seasons.

Vildor
Onu
Missed that thanks! Will add post soon on others I'm looking at. If you catch any info please update; my schedule busy this week reducing my time.

badboy

Hall of Fame
After the two DB signing, I only expect 1 DB (likely corner) to be taken in the first two days. I'd love to see us get an OT and an interior guy.
I'm thinking we still will need depth at DB and many very good corners this draft. We will need replacement for Joseph after this year (why I wanted Darby) although Texans may wait and use high pick 2020 and get starter but that is more risky than getting one now to train. I want a replacement for Colvin as his future is so iffy. His dead $ so high it will be there regardless how he does so as with Joseph get someone now Julian Love). Robey wants to cash out if he does well and no reason to spend huge dollars if we can get someone now. IMO, there are more than one corners who could start this season and Gaines has wisely shown he doesn't spend recklessly. I'd rather address these three spots now when we have excellent candidates at our picks

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
If we're wishful thinking, I would like the Texans to trade back in the 1st, possibly early 2nd. It would be great to pickup an extra 3rd in this draft, where there will be value on the 2nd day at interior line and the secondary.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
I'm thinking we still will need depth at DB and many very good corners this draft. We will need replacement for Joseph after this year (why I wanted Darby) although Texans may wait and use high pick 2020 and get starter but that is more risky than getting one now to train. I want a replacement for Colvin as his future is so iffy. His dead $ so high it will be there regardless how he does so as with Joseph get someone now Julian Love). Robey wants to cash out if he does well and no reason to spend huge dollars if we can get someone now. IMO, there are more than one corners who could start this season and Gaines has wisely shown he doesn't spend recklessly. I'd rather address these three spots now when we have excellent candidates at our picks
Amen on that.

If the Oz debacle hasn't shown the folly in making big splashes in FA nothing will.

Some of the big FA signings this year will not look so big next year.

I like what Gaine has done so far.

I'm comfortable until draft day.

:coffee:

Reactions: JB

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Considering that the Texans do have extra cap space, I wonder if there is a team out there so desperate to dump a player they would consider the Rick Smith maneuver? The Texans take on a bad contract for a pick. Why not, if they aren't using the cap room?

badboy

Hall of Fame
If we're wishful thinking, I would like the Texans to trade back in the 1st, possibly early 2nd. It would be great to pickup an extra 3rd in this draft, where there will be value on the 2nd day at interior line and the secondary.
I agree but just depends on who's there at 23 and if they would remain on board a bit. It's hard for me to look past Ferguson who imo is perfect replacement for Clowney whether he is traded or not.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Considering that the Texans do have extra cap space, I wonder if there is a team out there so desperate to dump a player they would consider the Rick Smith maneuver? The Texans take on a bad contract for a pick. Why not, if they aren't using the cap room?
:spit: You know how I felt about Rick's stupid maneuver.

I like your idea of using it against someone here though. Yeah, why not. There is bound to be someone that has some bad contracts they need to dump. Yeah, we should take it for future draft assets if we don't plan on using the money any way.

Wolf12339

Waterboy
I'd love this but don't even understand why the Texans did it..