Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

BADBOY college players to watch 2023 draft

badboy

Hall of Fame
Players presented in mock format based in reversal of projected odds for SB.

I will as usual add guys with info as it becomes available.

CBS Sports: 2023 NFL Mock Draft: Will Anderson Jr. goes No. 1, C.J. Stroud first of six QBs off the board in Round 1.

Almost forgot to post this after reading about it this morning.

Alabama cornerback Eli Ricks arrested on traffic-related, marijuana possession charges in Mississippi
11 hours ago

Interesting they think Texans pick first.
So do I as I posted in the draft day thread that I had upset friend of mine by saying so. "Low expectation leads to no disappointment" was her reply.

Anderson has been my guy for most of this last season as 2021 true sophomore: 101 tackles; 33.5 for loss; 17.5 sacks; 3 passed broken up. 9 QB hurries. 6'4" 243

Will Anderson is impressive enough as a linebacker, but when the sports science professionals at Alabama include his GPS numbers, it takes his talent to another level.

To put it in perspective, Dr. Matt Rhea, the Crimson Tide’s director of sports science, has told ESPN’s Mark Schlabach that Anderson has reached 20 mph on GPS while running in practice. What’s more is that Anderson is the fastest player on the team going from a standstill to 5 yards, at 10.7 mph. Keep in mind that those numbers are for a linebacker, and former Alabama star wide receiver Jaylen Waddle was clocked at 11.2 mph at 5 yards last year.

“Waddle was the fastest at five yards that I have ever seen,” Rhea said. “But at 245 pounds, it’s unbelievable how fast [Anderson] gets off the start.”

Anyone notice that the four Offensive linemen look unimpressive? As mentioned pre-draft I believe that was a solid reason Nick Caserebral reworked Tunsil's cap in 2022 from ~$26.1 million to ~$17.7. Houston cap after trading Lonnie Johnson is ~$25.5 million. Raheem Green not added in but initial "lock in" for all draft picks at $.705 m is included. That change after signings.

Maybe it's the Army in me, but I'm interested in watching Army OLB (projects well as a 4-3 DE in the NFL, IMO) Andre Carter II. 6'7", 260 lbs, 18.5 TFLs, 15.5 sacks, 3 PDs, 4 FFs, and 1 INT last year. Quality of competition is a concern, but I think the physical traits are there for him to be a late first/early second rounder next year.

Oregon ILB Noah Sewell is also on my list.

Maybe it's the Army in me, but I'm interested in watching Army OLB (projects well as a 4-3 DE in the NFL, IMO) Andre Carter II. 6'7", 260 lbs, 18.5 TFLs, 15.5 sacks, 3 PDs, 4 FFs, and 1 INT last year. Quality of competition is a concern, but I think the physical traits are there for him to be a late first/early second rounder next year.

Oregon ILB Noah Sewell is also on my list.
I rarely follow the military schools but usually catch the Army-Navy game. Carter and Sewell are both on my list players to watch this season.

The following is based on info I researched about ten days ago but have not had time to post until now. The mock is based on teams needs and what I would do if I were drafting for each team. It has 32 picks + our 33rd. I take QB in first pick as based on info NOW. I do not see Mills taking us pass a conference championship in his first contract.

1.1 Texans QB C J Stroud had great 2021 and should be better in 2022. He would be under contract for 5 seasons in comparison to only two remaining for Mills. I would not be opposed to Mills finishing contract as a back up and perhaps starter for Stroud's rookie season but if Mills does what I hope he can, Caserio should be able to get at minimum a high round two.

1.2 Lions QB Bryce Young
1.3 ATL QB Tyler Van Dyke
1.4 Panthers LB Noah Sewell could be best LB in college
1.5 Jags WR Jaxon Smith-Njiba
1.6 NYJ DL Jalen Carter
1.7 Bears WR Kayshon Boutte
1.8 NYG QB Anthony Richardson
1.9 Seattle DE B J Ojulari
1.10 Pitts CB Kelee Ringo
1.11 WFT TE Michael Mayer
1.12 Eagles CB Eli Ricks his arrest not impactful. https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-ricks-arrested-speeding-possession-marijuana

1.13 Vikes WR Jordan Addison
1.14 PATs LB Trenton Simpson
1.15 Eagles RB Bijan Robinson yes he's that good!
1.16 Raiders DT Bryan Bresee
1.17 Miami OT Zion Nelson
1.18 Texans Edge Will Anderson stats should drop as teams focus on stopping him.
1.19 Tenn WR Dontae Demus
1.20 Cards OT Paris Johnson
1.21 Colts OL Skoronski
1.22 Ravens RB Jahmyr Gibbs
1.23 Cin DB Catalon
1.24 Dallas WR Marvin Mims
1.25 LAC WR Josh Downs
1.26 Seattle QB Will Levis he could go higher
1.27 Miami Safety M Moore
1.28 Lions Edge Nolan Smith
1.29 GBay OL Emile Okiyor
1.30 KC WR Quentin Johnston
1.31 TBay DL Michael Murphy
1.32 Bills Safety Brandon Joseph

2.33 Texans OC Jarrett Patterson really hopeful Morrisey is real deal & this can be used elsewhere.

I dont think they will end up in the Will Anderson range. This is a very weak draft.

Give me Mayer and Ringo in the 1st and Beal in 2nd and I'm a happy man. My original want was Mayer and Bijan, those 2 guys are studs.
If we pick in the top 5 next draft, we're going to be making a move to get a QB.

The team doesn't have the talent to win more than 5-6 games.
Sometimes it only takes a piece or two to impact a team and we may have acquired some via the draft.
They may take a season or so to reach their potential, but ya never know.
Fingers crossed!

Sometimes it only takes a piece or two to impact a team and we may have acquired some via the draft.
They may take a season or so to reach their potential, but ya never know.
Fingers crossed!

They possibly could win more games than that. It would require the team to stay almost totally healthy. What's the chances of that happening?

I dont think they will end up in the Will Anderson range. This is a very weak draft.

Give me Mayer and Ringo in the 1st and Beal in 2nd and I'm a happy man. My original want was Mayer and Bijan, those 2 guys are studs.
I really like this really early, early draft. Theres no way it stays that way. I remember they had HOU going #2 and taking Sam Howell this time last year. Lol.
I would hope that if they are drafting 2 they would move back and grab Mayer. I like the other 2 picks though.
I like Ringo and Beal too.

That makes no sense.
If Mills plays well but the team can’t stop anyone, it’s all Mills fault?
This weird agenda of having to take a QB if the rest of the team doesn’t play well doesn’t make sense.
I can understand the mindset that a top flight QB makes those around him better but that also comes with time and experience unless you are obviously elite coming out of college - like an Andrew Luck for example. Those are rare commodities, but if one is there for the taking, then take him you should.
Personally, I don't like advocating taking a QB simply because the guy you have doesn't look like he will be elite. You waste a lot of valuable picks that way.
Build your whole team - don't become obsessed with the notion of an elite QB at all costs.

I can understand the mindset that a top flight QB makes those around him better but that also comes with time and experience unless you are obviously elite coming out of college - like an Andrew Luck for example. Those are rare commodities, but if one is there for the taking, then take him you should.
Personally, I don't like advocating taking a QB simply because the guy you have doesn't look like he will be elite. You waste a lot of valuable picks that way.
Build your whole team - don't become obsessed with the notion of an elite QB at all costs.
OK, I’m with you on that.
We will know just by the eye test this year if Mills has it or not by years end. And he seems like a smart kid, so I’m betting he knows this too.

I really like this really early, early draft. Theres no way it stays that way. I remember they had HOU going #2 and taking Sam Howell this time last year. Lol.
I would hope that if they are drafting 2 they would move back and grab Mayer. I like the other 2 picks though.
I like Ringo and Beal too.
Those draft mocks as are my own are based upon the information that a person has at that moment. Things like injuries and players going sideways as did Rattler cannot be figured in.

I am looking for a quarterback that can take us to the Super Bowl whether that quarterback is Elite or just very very good. Unfortunately I do not see Davis Mills as either of those. We all will be watching him closely and rooting for him to exceed what I see as his ceiling. Yesterday former NFL quarterback Clint Stoerner was defending his position that Davis Mills cannot drive the ball downfield. So there are several of us having concerns.

I am looking for a quarterback that can take us to the Super Bowl whether that quarterback is Elite or just very very good. Unfortunately I do not see Davis Mills as either of those. We all will be watching him closely and rooting for him to exceed what I see as his ceiling. Yesterday former NFL quarterback Clint Stoerner was defending his position that Davis Mills cannot drive the ball downfield. So there are several of us having concerns.
You and a guy named Clint‘s concerns are duly noted.

What bias? If Mills doesn’t work out it’s irrelevant as he’s was a 3rd round pick. I could care less.
Hopefully he does though.
You seem to be slurring Clint stoerner knowledge about quarterbacks. That third round pick is our starting quarterback and hopefully our future. It was more than just a third round pick then and now. The hope when Mills was drafted was not that he would be a backup for his contract years.

There’s a quick but informative story on www.sportsnaut.com on Davis Mills titled, “Texans QB Davis Mills To Be Year 2 Standout, A Look At Why”.

Mills has his detractors b/c he’s a #67 pick NFL QB. In some minds, he’ll never recover from entering the draft early versus waiting until the 2022 NFL Draft where he’s probably taken in RD1 or RD2. If Mills had been selected in RD1 or RD2 of the 2021 NFL Draft and had the same results in season one…..analyst and other football minds would probably be chatting up his upside and future.

Here’s the list of QB’s selected before Davis Mills……which one out performed him while playing for a team worse than the Texans?

1-01: Trevor’s Lawrence (Jags)
1-02: Zach Wilson (Jets)
1-03: Trey Lance (49’ers)
1-11: Justin Fields (Bears)
1-15: Mac Jones (Patriots)

2-64: Kyle Trask (Bucs)

3-66: Kellen Mond (Vikings)
3-67: Davis Mills (Texans)

Mills was strapped to a really, really bad team. He went through his lumps in the beginning and was moved back to QB2 after starting earlier than expected. This was probably the best thing that happened to him. He has a high football IQ and getting the time to reflect and analyze obviously paid dividends b/c when he returned to QB1, it was obvious that the game was slowing down for him. From Week 13 to the season finale…..Mills looked and performed like the best rookie QB from the draft. He got better as the season progressed and that’s a sign that should have the Texans excited about his growth.

There’s a quick but informative story on www.sportsnaut.com on Davis Mills titled, “Texans QB Davis Mills To Be Year 2 Standout, A Look At Why”.

Mills has his detractors b/c he’s a #67 pick NFL QB. In some minds, he’ll never recover from entering the draft early versus waiting until the 2022 NFL Draft where he’s probably taken in RD1 or RD2. If Mills had been selected in RD1 or RD2 of the 2021 NFL Draft and had the same results in season one…..analyst and other football minds would probably be chatting up his upside and future.

Here’s the list of QB’s selected before Davis Mills……which one out performed him while playing for a team worse than the Texans?

Mills was strapped to a really, really bad team. He went through his lumps in the beginning and was moved back to QB2 after starting earlier than expected. This was probably the best thing that happened to him. He has a high football IQ and getting the time to reflect and analyze obviously paid dividends b/c when he returned to QB1, it was obvious that the game was slowing down for him. From Week 13 to the season finale…..Mills looked and performed like the best rookie QB from the draft. He got better as the season progressed and that’s a sign that should have the Texans excited about his growth.
I think all Texans fans wish all the best for Mills and he should better.
He not only has some added help around him, he should have a better scheme to work with and a full preseason as QB1 to prepare.
His rapid progression from QB2 to starter was a disaster early, but as time progressed, it was obvious he was settling in.
He was thrown in the deep end as a green rookie after only 5 games(?) so I think he did pretty good.
If he continues to progress like that in a more familiar system, that should offset any tape opponents might have on him.
It will be interesting to see him integrate the run game more into his repertoire - being able to feed the ball to Mack, Pierce and Burkhead will take a lot of pressure off him and creates more variety to confuse defenses and keep him on his feet.
I reckon he will be "ight".

You seem to be slurring Clint stoerner knowledge about quarterbacks. That third round pick is our starting quarterback and hopefully our future. It was more than just a third round pick then and now. The hope when Mills was drafted was not that he would be a backup for his contract years.
Or you just seem to be really high on some guy named Clint’s opinion…..

What I find so telling about the media today and it’s agenda driven fixation is that as you adeptly pointed out Davis Mills, a 3rd round pick, looked light years better in all facets of the position over every one of those QBs other than Jones and his numbers are close to Jones.
I don’t think it’s a stretch believing Mills probably would have outplayed Jones if he was drafted by NE instead.
How are there even detractors of Davis Mills in the media?!?! It makes no sense. All I see right now is the media circling the wagons in SF and desperately trying to convince themselves that Trey Lance isn’t a bust and Justin Fields is the next Pat Mahomes in Chicago…..
But Davis Mills?!?!? They feel the need to eviscerate him and attack any and all of what appears to be so far very minor flaws in a season that was extremely successful considering he was playing on a human rummage sale.

Or you just seem to be really high on some guy named Clint’s opinion…..
Nope not high on anyone including Mills but I will take info from any source and evaluate .. including most important source ..Mills. Watching him play gives best input as did his last games of 2021. Still an NFL player knows more about the position than I do and in most cases I'll take more credence in what that person says than 99 % of posters on this board.

Based on Tankathon mock projection a perfect scenario would be huge improvement from Davis Mills and trading pick 1.1 or 1.2 to Seattle for 1.4 and 1.22. Still get Will Anderson who has been compared to Khalil Mack , Sewell a tremendous inside LB to match with Christian Harris. 22 and 33/34 bring two more starters.

I am going to focus on Notre Dame center Jarrett Patterson who still may end up at offensive guard due to the poor quality the Irish had there last year which brought their entire offensive line down. An interesting fact is that Patterson has yet to give up a sack in his college career. Even if Morrissey is our center of the future as I hope I would be interested in Patterson in high round 2 as a guard.

I am going to focus on Notre Dame center Jarrett Patterson who still may end up at offensive guard due to the poor quality the Irish had there last year which brought their entire offensive line down. An interesting fact is that Patterson has yet to give up a sack in his college career. Even if Morrissey is our center of the future as I hope I would be interested in Patterson in high round 2 as a guard.

Another athlete that's going to get a lot of hype at his position by season's end.....Center- Ricky Stromberg, Arkansas. I recently saw an early Mock that had him as the first center off the board in RD2.

A PFF write-up:
Ricky Stromberg, C
Arkansas center Ricky Stromberg was another prospect who eschewed positive attention in the last cycle to return to the Razorbacks for another season. Like Catalon, he’ll immediately garner respect as one of the top players at his position. Stromberg flashes excellent athletic ability, strength, and football intelligence in his command of the pivot. He has the flexibility to flip his hips and toss a man to the ground coupled with a violent demeanor that makes him a mauler in the ground game.

I would've taken him in RD4 had he entered the 2022 NFL Draft, but he decided to return and I think he jumps 2 rounds if he has a similar season. I like OL who live to impose their will on defensive players. Stromberg is an NFL center who should not be asked to depart from being a center.

Another athlete that's going to get a lot of hype at his position by season's end.....Center- Ricky Stromberg, Arkansas. I recently saw an early Mock that had him as the first center off the board in RD2.

A PFF write-up:
Ricky Stromberg, C
Arkansas center Ricky Stromberg was another prospect who eschewed positive attention in the last cycle to return to the Razorbacks for another season. Like Catalon, he’ll immediately garner respect as one of the top players at his position. Stromberg flashes excellent athletic ability, strength, and football intelligence in his command of the pivot. He has the flexibility to flip his hips and toss a man to the ground coupled with a violent demeanor that makes him a mauler in the ground game.

I would've taken him in RD4 had he entered the 2022 NFL Draft, but he decided to return and I think he jumps 2 rounds if he has a similar season. I like OL who live to impose their will on defensive players. Stromberg is an NFL center who should not be asked to depart from being a center.
I expect and hope that Stromberg takes another step up in his development.

Which website are you guys using for your 2023 Draft info this year ?
Most of the same ones I always use have already posted their 2023 mock drafts and some into the second round. The main ones also have big board setup. Unlike when I first began posting mocks on Texans talk many years ago now others have got into it. More and more people are following college football and giving their opinions. Much more information and conversation flowing out there on the internet and I think it's a lot of fun!

The team doesn't have the talent to win more than 5-6 games.

I think we can win 7 games. Possibly 9 if Mills is better than we have been told to expect by some of the talking heads.

New running backs.
New and better HC and OC
Better O line.
Better D Line.
Better secondary.
Better receivers.

I think we got better through the draft, through FA, and coaching.

We aren’t going to be world beaters but we aren’t going to be the team we were last year either.

A PFF write-up:
Ricky Stromberg, C

This is the guy I hope is there when Caserio picks in rd 2.

I think we can win 7 games. Possibly 9 if Mills is better than we have been told to expect by some of the talking heads.

New running backs.
New and better HC and OC
Better O line.
Better D Line.
Better secondary.
Better receivers.

I think we got better through the draft, through FA, and coaching.

We aren’t going to be world beaters but we aren’t going to be the team we were last year either.

Health will be the key.

There's a severe lack of depth on both sides of the ball.

Back