Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

As it stands now mock.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Now the dust has settled a little, I think we have a much better idea of where we stand.
#42. Payton Wilson LB
Texans will welcome his speed at the second level of the defense.
#59. JaLynn Polk WR.
Proto-typical size for the position and has excellent hands. Runs precise routes - can line up anywhere. 4.5 40. My must have here.
#86. Blake Fisher OT.
A rookie yes, but has genuine upside and should be better than an injured Howard.
#123. Marshawn Lloyd. RB.
A real gem and flying under the radar. Another must have. Do yourself a favor and check this guy out.
#127. Tyler Davis DT.
Made Bruce Feldman's freak list and has elite athletic skills. A steal if he is here.
#188. Tip Reimann TE.
Huge man with 4.65 speed. Will be like having an extra lineman. Averaged 10.7 yards per in college too.
I have not included the 7th round picks as these may be traded.
I have not included Safety or CB - a Safety likely comes out of this FA and I reckon Steven Nelson will be resigned.
You are not going to have studs at every position but this will go a long way to improving this team.
You are welcome to comment or put up one of your own mocks in this thread.

Now the dust has settled a little, I think we have a much better idea of where we stand.
#42. Payton Wilson LB
#59. JaLynn Polk WR.
Proto-typical size for the position and has excellent hands. Runs precise routes - can line up anywhere. 4.5 40. My must have here.
#86. Blake Fisher OT.
A rookie yes, but has genuine upside and should be better than an injured Howard.
A real gem and flying under the radar. Another must have. Do yourself a favor and check this guy out.
#127. Tyler Davis DT.
Made Bruce Feldman's freak list and has elite athletic skills. A steal if he is here.
#188. Tip Reimann TE.
Huge man with 4.65 speed. Will be like having an extra lineman. Averaged 10.7 yards per in college too.
I have not included Safety or CB - a Safety likely comes out of this FA and I reckon Steven Nelson will be resigned.
You are not going to have studs at every position but this will go a long way to improving this team.
Dont like LLoyd. He's an undisciplined runner. He doesn't press the heels of the ol and make 1 cut. He's a freelance runner who always try to bounce outside. Do like the TE because he can be an inline blocker but also moves well. I wouldn't take a ot that high when you're paying Howard.

No DT early is a fail to me.

If Sweat goes earlier than expected, then I’d turn my focus to a high ceiling player like, DT- Ruke Orhorhoro (Clemson) who Ryans could get the very best out of. The write-ups on this guy are pretty impressive for a mid-round pick.

If Sweat goes earlier than expected, then I’d turn my focus to a high ceiling player like, DT- Ruke Orhorhoro (Clemson) who Ryans could get the very best out of. The write-ups on this guy are pretty impressive for a mid-round pick.
Ruke Orhohro body type matches more than Sweat even though I like Sweat too. When you say mid rd, he's not going past the 3rd, probably even the 2nd rd. I like him and had posted about him early in this process. Even though I'm not as high on him as I was before, Mason Smith of LSU with be there also in the 3rd rd along with Gabe Hall. If they had to play tommorow, they could play with the dts they have honestly.

Ruke Orhohro body type matches more than Sweat even though I like Sweat too. When you say mid rd, he's not going past the 3rd, probably even the 2nd rd. I like him and had posted about him early in this process. Even though I'm not as high on him as I was before, Mason Smith of LSU with be there also in the 3rd rd along with Gabe Hall. If they had to play tommorow, they could play with the dts they have honestly.

Agreed. They have a 4 man rotation of Foley/Settle/Davis/Hinish. It can be schemed up to get by. But it’s not a dominant rotation. But honestly about as effective as they were end of season when both Rankins and Collins were playing hurt.

I really hope Davis makes a leap this year. If he hits, that will make a huge difference.

#42. Payton Wilson LB
#59. JaLynn Polk WR.
#86. Blake Fisher OT.
#127. Tyler Davis DT.
#188. Tip Reimann TE.
Fishers injuries concern me almost as much as Howard's do. I was a big fan of his in college before.

That injury was in 2021.
He played 12 games in 22 and 23.
Correct and not anywhere near as well. Prior to injury 2021, he was talk of town.

I would guess most people do not realize that his freshman year he was starting left tackle until knee injury. When he returned in 2022 Alt had switched over in 2021 to left tackle. Blake could not beat out Joe and remained at right tackle. I imagine that Blake lays awake at night thinking first round to probably fourth round.

Correct and not anywhere near as well. Prior to injury 2021, he was talk of town.

I would guess most people do not realize that his freshman year he was starting left tackle until knee injury. When he returned in 2022 Alt had switched over in 2021 to left tackle. Blake could not beat out Joe and remained at right tackle. I imagine that Blake lays awake at night thinking first round to probably fourth round.
Being a former 5 star recruit intrigues me.
Who knows, he may regain some of his old powers and be our RT down the road.
For a 3rd rounder, it seems like a reasonable investment.

Dont like LLoyd. He's an undisciplined runner. He doesn't press the heels of the ol and make 1 cut. He's a freelance runner who always try to bounce outside. Do like the TE because he can be an inline blocker but also moves well. I wouldn't take a ot that high when you're paying Howard.
Watching film earlier of this RB class and there is a clear #1 for me, Jaylen Wright. In fact I would push narrative to use one of those 2nds on him and make him the first RB off the board. Such intriguing prospect, springy, plenty of juice to be game breaker like Gibbs did was Detroit as a rookie. Pair him up with Mixon and develop those tools, could be steal of this draft.

Watching film earlier of this RB class and there is a clear #1 for me, Jaylen Wright. In fact I would push narrative to use one of those 2nds on him and make him the first RB off the board. Such intriguing prospect, springy, plenty of juice to be game breaker like Gibbs did was Detroit as a rookie. Pair him up with Mixon and develop those tools, could be steal of this draft.
Yeah, I can see him in the mix. Only thing with him is he runs high, but he's a hr threat. I think he's there in the 3rd rd where Texans are drafting. Ray Davis is probably my favorite because he's a 3 down dude

No ro the Clemson trash

Yeah, I can see him in the mix. Only thing with him is he runs high, but he's a hr threat. I think he's there in the 3rd rd where Texans are drafting. Ray Davis is probably my favorite because he's a 3 down dude
Give me Davis or Guerrendo in the 4th. I do like Wright though

I've got Allen as my RB 1.

Don't think we'll have a choice, I'm not looking for Howard to be back when the season starts and if he is not to be there long before another injury. The doom and gloom crystal ball says we will need someone at RT in a bad way before its all said and done.

Money is no object when it comes to getting CJ the protection he needs to avoid concussions.
Yeah, he can get rid of the ball if he has to but that is not what you want playing top teams.

Orhorhoro screams Amobi Okoye 2.0 to me. Young, athletic guy with limited football experience. He's been winning purely on athleticism and will need to learn how to set guys up and counter, and who knows if he can do that.

Don't think we'll have a choice, I'm not looking for Howard to be back when the season starts and if he is not to be there long before another injury. The doom and gloom crystal ball says we will need someone at RT in a bad way before its all said and done.
They brought back Heck and I bet they draft an OT like Greenfield or Rouse later in the draft.

Money is no object when it comes to getting CJ the protection he needs to avoid concussions.
Yeah, he can get rid of the ball if he has to but that is not what you want playing top teams.
His concussion came from Williams illegal late hit. That had nothing to do with a rt. Go look at the Steelers game when Deculis was the LT and they gave up 0 sacks

Orhorhoro screams Amobi Okoye 2.0 to me. Young, athletic guy with limited football experience. He's been winning purely on athleticism and will need to learn how to set guys up and counter, and who knows if he can do that.

Okoye was a 3 tech. He suffered an injury also. Just because they're Nigerian doesn't make them the same player. Okoye was the a top shelf prospect the year he was drafted.

I didn’t think we’d be picking at 23, and I don’t think we’ll be picking at 42 either. Soup’s not done yet, and Nick is still stirring.
I am going to go you one better, I'm going to agree that Nick will trade the 42 but many of us will argue about that! LOL

Okoye was a 3 tech. He suffered an injury also. Just because they're Nigerian doesn't make them the same player. Okoye was the a top shelf prospect the year he was drafted.
It has nothing to do with them both being Nigerian but does have a lot to do with both of them being newer to the game (thanks for the assumption). Winning along the lines in the NFL is almost as much about technique as it is physical talent. Orhorhoro has the natural gifts to win his matchup more often than not, but he's not that good of an athlete to do it in the pros. Can/will he develop into that? Who knows, but history shows us that those who are relatively new to the game struggle to do so. Or in other words he has nothing like the skill set of Latu (UCLA).

Not many, and that was a bad example. I was trying to draw a comparison between a guy who wins as an athlete (Ruke) versus a guy who wins mainly by skill.
Most college players win with athletic ability. That's why when they play vs athletic skill players they have to adjust. That's where coaching comes in. When WAJ was at Bama, how do you think he was winning?

I think they have 5 or 6 players in their cluster. When he was on the radio today, he said 25 to 40 are the same. That tells me they believe they can get what they want or need at 42. Jmo
I agree and why I wanted a trade down in the beginning. Would have preferred to got two pics this year but I'm not going to quibble. With my luck, if we had stayed at 23 The Players I Want would have been gone anyway.

Edit
I hope it doesn't matter that 42 is just outside of 25 to 40..

Last edited:
I agree and why I wanted a trade down in the beginning. Would have preferred to got two pics this year but I'm not going to quibble. With my luck, if we had stayed at 23 The Players I Want would have been gone anyway.
It's funny how everyone wanted a trade down, then when they trade down, posters tripping 😆😆 There will be impact players sitting right there at 42. Whether it's a dt,s,cb, or wr

It's funny how everyone wanted a trade down, then when they trade down, posters tripping 😆😆 There will be impact players sitting right there at 42. Whether it's a dt,s,cb, or wr
Most of us willing to trade down, didn’t want to drop 19 spots, more like half dozen, buts done deal now, move along.

Not to mention they have two 4th rounders to mess with.
Either of those could move us up 4 spots.

You roll the dice with any draft pic, Bama included
I'm not rolling the dice with Clemson players, at least high in the draft. Once burned twice shy, only guys outside the 3rd rd and those guys would Shipley, X. Thomas. But also there wouldn't more than one or 2 Clemson players at the most on the roster if I owned the team.

Yep I have been known for months to be seeking a trade down, if the players I wanted were not at 23.
Wide receivers will be good in round two but I don't think any of those are equal to Brian Thomas. Troy Franklin.. but his combine took some wind from my sail.

Most college players win with athletic ability. That's why when they play vs athletic skill players they have to adjust. That's where coaching comes in. When WAJ was at Bama, how do you think he was winning?
I knew what type of work ethic WAJ has. Clemson guys not so much. I would be ok with bringing in a Clemson guy for a 2nd contract, but would avoid drafting them at all cost.

It has nothing to do with them both being Nigerian but does have a lot to do with both of them being newer to the game (thanks for the assumption). Winning along the lines in the NFL is almost as much about technique as it is physical talent. Orhorhoro has the natural gifts to win his matchup more often than not, but he's not that good of an athlete to do it in the pros. Can/will he develop into that? Who knows, but history shows us that those who are relatively new to the game struggle to do so. Or in other words he has nothing like the skill set of Latu (UCLA).

He doesn't possess Latu's neck situation.....I guess that could be a plus.

Orhorhoro is a bit greener, but his upside is seriously good and I would count on Ryans to be the coach that gets him developed and productive at a high level.

if we had stayed at 23 The Players I Want would have been gone anyway.

From what he said on the radio, that was his thinking when he traded down.

But don’t be surprised if he’s just blowing some smoke.

Looking at our new defensive line in toto, I am more open to Sweat as a defensive tackle. Even more so in round 3 where I think he belongs. I am still holding out for Brandon Dorlus.

I see Sweat as a guy with an NFL ready body who should be a plug-n-play Day 1 starter in same vein as DT- Vince Wilfork....provided he continues to work at his craft.

I see Sweat as a guy with an NFL ready body who should be a plug-n-play Day 1 starter in same vein as DT- Vince Wilfork....provided he continues to work at his craft.
I see Sweat is more of a 3-4 nose tackle as he played at Texas; not sure how he fits in with what Ryan's is pushing. Seemingly, he has a little slowness moving side to side and it takes him awhile to Gear Up going forward. He's definitely not going to be pushed backwards or out of position but I'm not sure that's all that is required for DeMeco’s line.

I see Sweat is more of a 3-4 nose tackle as he played at Texas; not sure how he fits in with what Ryan's is pushing. Seemingly, he has a little slowness moving side to side and it takes him awhile to Gear Up going forward. He's definitely not going to be pushed backwards or out of position but I'm not sure that's all that is required for DeMeco’s line.
This. Sweat seems tailor made to be the next great Steelers NT.

He moves well side to side for a man his size.

Looking at our new defensive line in toto, I am more open to Sweat as a defensive tackle. Even more so in round 3 where I think he belongs. I am still holding out for Brandon Dorlus.
Dorlus would be a great fit. He might even make it to 3-85.

I would be happy with this and although I would draft P. Wilson at 2-42, I'm going to change things up a bit for the fun of things.

2. McConkey WR
2. Melton CB
3. Dorlus DT/DE
4. Reiman TE
4. Nate Watson ILB

I'll finish off my mock in my post FA mock thread.

What 6th/7th rd picks are left?

Last edited:
Back