Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Are Texans sitting on their hands again?

TripleTap

Dead Wood
I scan five or ten NFL pages every day and I see lots of news about other teams doing all manner of things--trading, thinking of trading, cutting, signing, talking to, planning, etc. Seems like lots of teams are VERY active in one way or another.

But I rarely, almost never, see anything reported about the Texans. SO I wonder if the Texans are doing nothing (which seems sort of characteristic of recent seasons) or if the sports media just doesn't give a care about the Texans.

Or if BOB is just an extraordinary coach a singularly gifted teacher and is profoundly stealthy to boot.

Or, well, the hands thing.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
The Texans made a bunch of coaching staff additions.
They did?

Anyway, the Texans don't talk much and it's WAY early. They are rumored to be heavy in the hunt for OT Brown and considering several others. About the only real hard news that will come out right now is re-signing their own FAs.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Early next week they have to tag Clowney, mid March free agency begins. Texans are not west or east coast and we have never done anything so noone cares unless we make a splash. I hope we are working our own Free Agents aggressively. Seems we want HB not Kareem. Couple of weeks if no news, then let's get in their crap

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
I scan five or ten NFL pages every day and I see lots of news about other teams doing all manner of things--trading, thinking of trading, cutting, signing, talking to, planning, etc. Seems like lots of teams are VERY active in one way or another.

But I rarely, almost never, see anything reported about the Texans. SO I wonder if the Texans are doing nothing (which seems sort of characteristic of recent seasons) or if the sports media just doesn't give a care about the Texans.

Or if BOB is just an extraordinary coach a singularly gifted teacher and is profoundly stealthy to boot.

Or, well, the hands thing.
http://www.texanstalk.com/threads/2019-texans-player-visits-pro-days-etc.113871

:coffee:

edo783

Hall of Fame
I expect they will be moderatly active in free agency, just not right off the bat. Their modus operandi is to sit back the first couple of days until the feeding frenzy ends then jump in.

edo783

Hall of Fame
I expect they will be moderatly active in free agency, just not right off the bat. Their modus operandi is to sit back the first couple of days until the feeding frenzy ends then jump in.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Lazy bastards. Haven’t won anything this offseason.
/s

Also seeing reports of us shopping Concussion Johnson...pardon Kevin Johnson.
It's the offseaon. See everything, believe nothing

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Things are changing down on Kirby.

According to Walter they are going to make a big offer to Trent Brown. The combine is where GM's and agents start talking parameters on FA contracts.

Last edited:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Things are changing down on Kirby.

According to Water they are going to make a big offer to Trent Brown. The combine is where GM's and agents start talking parameters on FA contracts.
Don't put too much faith into Water nor Walter either

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Don't put too much faith into Water nor Walter either
Water is good for you

Walter gives you viruses.

Edited for accuracy

I'm surprised I haven't mistyped a few curse words throughout the yrs.

Reactions: JB

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Let them sit on their hands for now if that's what they want to do.

Better they pick crap now than when it comes to FA and Draft time.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Let them sit on their hands for now if that's what they want to do.

Better they pick crap now than when it comes to FA and Draft time.
?

I'm not following what you're saying.

Right now they are exchanging numbers with FA's agents and interviewing guys at the combine. What else do you think they should be doing?

Atleast BOB didn't choose to have an elective surgery during the combine and miss the thing.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
?

I'm not following what you're saying.

Right now they are exchanging numbers with FA's agents and interviewing guys at the combine. What else do you think they should be doing?

Atleast BOB didn't choose to have an elective surgery during the combine and miss the thing.
Was just a bad joke.

Meaning "IF" they are sitting on their hands right now and not doing everything they should... let it be now and not when the schedule allows them to do A LOT more.

The joke part was to claim they can pick their butts for all I care right now being they can only do so much, just get the FA picks and Draft right.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Was just a bad joke.

Meaning "IF" they are sitting on their hands right now and not doing everything they should... let it be now and not when the schedule allows them to do A LOT more.

The joke part was to claim they can pick their butts for all I care right now being they can only do so much, just get the FA picks and Draft right.
Agreed,

I'm a little slow today

TripleTap

Dead Wood
So what does the OP expect us to have already done?
Well, just so's you know the OP isn't a complete idiot, the OP has been watching NFL news since season's end and what the OP sees is that lots of teams seem to be picking up players advantageous to them, getting rid of players not performing up to contracts, etc. etc. and the Houston squad seems to be LOADED with the latter group (players not performing well) so it would have seemed to me that the front office would adding ANYONE AVAILABLE by any means who might have a chance of performing better at

offensive line
running back
wide receiver
offensive line
defensive back
tight end
backup QB

than about half of the people we have in those positions presently. Someone with more carefully considered study of the league and the moving players would probably be best at list the players (and coaches) who HAVE moved who might have been a benefit to this org.

But hey, if they've all been worse than what we got, I hereby retract the original post.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Well, just so's you know the OP isn't a complete idiot, the OP has been watching NFL news since season's end and what the OP sees is that lots of teams seem to be picking up players advantageous to them, getting rid of players not performing up to contracts, etc. etc. and the Houston squad seems to be LOADED with the latter group (players not performing well) so it would have seemed to me that the front office would adding ANYONE AVAILABLE by any means who might have a chance of performing better at

offensive line
running back
wide receiver
offensive line
defensive back
tight end
backup QB

than about half of the people we have in those positions presently. Someone with more carefully considered study of the league and the moving players would probably be best at list the players (and coaches) who HAVE moved who might have been a benefit to this org.

But hey, if they've all been worse than what we got, I hereby retract the original post.
Did free agency and the draft already happen?

281Texan

Waterboy
I’m disappointed in the fact that two starting, well above average offensive linemen (Marcus Gilbert, and Kelechie Osemele or however you spell it) have been traded in the past couple days for 6th round picks, and we didn’t find a way to offer something better. I get we have Rankin moving to guard, and we just resigned Henderson, who Gaine has a man crush on, but we’re talking about guys who could immediately come in and beef up the OL without having to spend premium picks on those positions. Gilbert could’ve came in and competed with Henderson for the RT spot, osemele could’ve been our left guard without any kind of serious competition (unless we draft a center and move Martin over) and then we could’ve used a first on a lockdown CB. Which, we desperately need due to the fact that TY hilton has owned us and JJO for years now. Then you find a LT somewhere in the top 2 rounds of this loaded draft and you’re sitting pretty. Not to mention T.J. Lang has been released and looking for work at a still relatively young age. I get it if those aren’t our guys but at least make an effort. I just hope this isn’t a precursor to how our offseason is going to go. We need to take a chance and go all in now while our core is still in their prime and we have Watson on a rookie deal. I don’t want to sit around like the past few years while all the difference making free agents get taken up and we’re left giving our deals to one year wonder chiefs O linemen. Here’s what I think would be ideal

1. Attempt to trade Whitney Mercilus or cut him. He played out of position last year. He wasn’t getting after the QB as Crennel couldn’t find out how to use him watt and clowney all on the field together. He’s still a good pass rusher at a reasonable age, he could fetch a middle round pick I believe. We can turn that savings into finding another OL/DB, with another decent pick to bring in more promising young talent at said positions.

2. Cut Lamar Miller. He’s a decent back but can’t create space for himself and I believe between him and mercilus we save about $16 million off the books?

3. Sign Trent Brown even if you go above market for him. Yes, it’s not by the book. But he was really good for the Pats last year and since OB tries to do everything he can to be the Patriots I’m assuming there shouldn’t be a tough transition between schemes.

4. Sign Ronald Darby and Jason Verrett. Darby will probably have a decent cap figure, but I bet Verrett can be had for something similar to Tyrann’s prove it deal last season.

5. Prioritize signing Landon Collins, or honey badger, in that order. Tyrann is a hell of a safety, but I think his name was bigger than his game last season. Besides, Reid has turned out to be a hell of a pick and plays that centerfield/rover role that tyrann excels at. Landon is not only younger but he’s more of that in the box/curl to flats safety we’ve been looking for.

Insideop

All Pro
I’m disappointed in the fact that two starting, well above average offensive linemen (Marcus Gilbert, and Kelechie Osemele or however you spell it) have been traded in the past couple days for 6th round picks, and we didn’t find a way to offer something better. I get we have Rankin moving to guard, and we just resigned Henderson, who Gaine has a man crush on, but we’re talking about guys who could immediately come in and beef up the OL without having to spend premium picks on those positions. Gilbert could’ve came in and competed with Henderson for the RT spot, osemele could’ve been our left guard without any kind of serious competition (unless we draft a center and move Martin over) and then we could’ve used a first on a lockdown CB. Which, we desperately need due to the fact that TY hilton has owned us and JJO for years now. Then you find a LT somewhere in the top 2 rounds of this loaded draft and you’re sitting pretty. Not to mention T.J. Lang has been released and looking for work at a still relatively young age. I get it if those aren’t our guys but at least make an effort. I just hope this isn’t a precursor to how our offseason is going to go. We need to take a chance and go all in now while our core is still in their prime and we have Watson on a rookie deal. I don’t want to sit around like the past few years while all the difference making free agents get taken up and we’re left giving our deals to one year wonder chiefs O linemen. Here’s what I think would be ideal

1. Attempt to trade Whitney Mercilus or cut him. He played out of position last year. He wasn’t getting after the QB as Crennel couldn’t find out how to use him watt and clowney all on the field together. He’s still a good pass rusher at a reasonable age, he could fetch a middle round pick I believe. We can turn that savings into finding another OL/DB, with another decent pick to bring in more promising young talent at said positions.

2. Cut Lamar Miller. He’s a decent back but can’t create space for himself and I believe between him and mercilus we save about $16 million off the books?

3. Sign Trent Brown even if you go above market for him. Yes, it’s not by the book. But he was really good for the Pats last year and since OB tries to do everything he can to be the Patriots I’m assuming there shouldn’t be a tough transition between schemes.

4. Sign Ronald Darby and Jason Verrett. Darby will probably have a decent cap figure, but I bet Verrett can be had for something similar to Tyrann’s prove it deal last season.

5. Prioritize signing Landon Collins, or honey badger, in that order. Tyrann is a hell of a safety, but I think his name was bigger than his game last season. Besides, Reid has turned out to be a hell of a pick and plays that centerfield/rover role that tyrann excels at. Landon is not only younger but he’s more of that in the box/curl to flats safety we’ve been looking for.
You may want to sign the Pat's O-line Coach too because that's the only way I think you'll get the same thing out of Trent Brown. I just have a bad feeling that overpaying for a player the Pats are letting go is probably not a good thing for the most part and you will probably never get out of them what the Pats did! JMO!

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
You may want to sign the Pat's O-line Coach too because that's the only way I think you'll get the same thing out of Trent Brown. I just have a bad feeling that overpaying for a player the Pats are letting go is probably not a good thing for the most part and you will probably never get out of them what the Pats did! JMO!
Apparently he is a legendary oline coach.
It would be a real coup if Texans sign that guy.
Our oline would become top ten in the league by midseason.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I seriously doubt he’d leave a year in-year out super bowl contending team with a HOF coach to come work for O’Brien.
Hence my coup comment. The guy is probably from that area and has all his family and connections there.
You might be able to snag his assistant though - perhaps some of the magic has rubbed off.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

Just FYI Gilbert is 31 and missed 11 games in 2018 and in 2017, on top of a hamstring injury causing him to miss games, was also suspended for wellness policy violation. Given how much trouble we already have with keeping people on the field that's to big a risk to take on someone that, while talented, is on the down hill of their career. Far as Osemele goes the Raiders actually traded him and a 6th round for one of the Jets 5th rounds. That seems like to sweet a deal for the Jets for there not to be something else going on. Maybe locker room issues, maybe its part of a larger deal later in the draft or maybe the Raiders just want to shore up a team playing the Pats all the time.

Raiders are in full rebuild mode yet they were still were willing to let a former all pro with a ring go for what seems like a bad deal and which caused them to now have a need they didn't before. Tells me there is more to the picture and that it wasn't a deal they were offering to everybody. If they were shopping to everybody then only other reason I can think of, beyond just the Texans missed the boat but then so did a lot of other teams, is his contract hits over the next two years are 10 million and 11 million. Pretty costly for a guard and yeah we have the money this year but in 2020 we are going to have to start looking at were we can save because I believe in 2021 Watson goes off the rookie contract.

Agree with pretty much everything else except the Trent Brown part. If we get him at a good or fair deal go for it but to many teams have been burned to many times, including us, with a player that was a star for the Pats and a bust for everyone else. Something about that place, looking at you BB, just makes average players look good and good players look great. Makes me really gun shy to sign a Pats player not named Brady for big money.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans

I'm on board with a few of these moves but I wouldn't release anyone without checking their trade value. Anyhow, if it were me making the moves:

TAG, SIGN AND/OR. POSSIBLY TRADE
Clowney - EDGE/DE - 2019 RD1 or RD2 and RD2 or RD3

TRADE OR RELEASE
Mercilus - OLB - Possibly a RD3 or RD4
Miller - RB - Possibly a RD6
Griffin - TE - Possibly a RD7

TEXANS TO SIGN
Mathieu - FS
Blackson - DT
Dunn - DT
Covington - DT
Scarlett - OLB
Fairbairn - K

FA's TO SIGN
Trenton Brown - LT - Projected 14.4M Annually
LeVeon Bell - RB - Projected 10.6M Annually
Ndamukong Suh - DT - Projected 15.4 Annually

Last edited:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Mercilus is worth more to the team than any RD 5 you will get, ditto for Miller and a 6th

but if wishes were fishes...

OptimisticTexan

Mercilus is worth more to the team than any RD 5 you will get, ditto for Miller and a 6th

but if wishes were fishes...
I don't think Mercilus, Miller or Griffin will be in team plans next season on new contracts. Cash those chips this season and move on. With the defensive depth of this years draft, Mercilus could be replaced. Bell replaces Miller and the Jordan's replace Griffin. The moves also add to the cap.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Hell no on Bell and Suh. And Mercy is worth more than a 5th. If Romeo can learn how to use him, then keep him. Otherwise, ask for a 3rd. I wouldn't take a 5th. And Miller, like it or not, isn't going anywhere.
Agreed on Bell. Suh may have changed as he's matured, I don't know. Texans sure need a penetrator. Agree with the rest.

Last edited:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I don't think Mercilus, Miller or Griffin will be in team plans next season on new contracts. Cash those chips this season and move on. With the defensive depth of this years draft, Mercilus could be replaced. Bell replaces Miller and the Jordan's replace Griffin. The moves also add to the cap.
So you're willing to throw 2019 out the window?

OptimisticTexan

So you're willing to throw 2019 out the window?
I don't think the Texans would be close to tossing the season if Miller was replaced by Bell. The Jordan's will both prove to be light years better than Griffin. Mercilus could be kept but if the return offer is good enough, might as well build for the future.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Looks like we won't be getting either Brown. The other B, Bell, is up in the air.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Not sure, but Gaine clearly said they would focus on the draft and use free agency for contingency planning.

Maybe he was playing poker. We'll see

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Not sorry we didn't get either of the Browns considering the conditions. I never wanted Antonio Brown because I think he would be to much of a problem in the locker room and he wouldn't be willing to play second fiddle to Hopkins. He's a drama queen that no amount of talent is worth putting up with.

As far as Trent Brown goes the Raiders way over paid. The guy had a good season and I wouldn't have minded having him but the Raiders are just throwing money at everyone of their problems. They are trying to cram 5 years worth of rebuilding into one off season and that's going to bite them long term. Grats to Brown for the big money contract and I'm glad it wasn't us that forked it over.

There is still a lot of time left in this off season, the teams making the big moves right now are the ones that are in really bad shape and have to make splashes to not only try to fix their team but give their fan bases a reason to spend money. Texans have some holes, some of them deeper than others, but over all we are in to good of shape to be making knee jerk moves just to say hey look at what we did.

281Texan

Waterboy
Well, I guess we were never in on Trent brown. I guess that’s OK, given what he received from Oakland. I didn’t think that would be his market. Re-signing Blackson is a total Texans way to start off free agency though. Hope that doesn’t set the precedent for how it’ll be this year.

281Texan

Waterboy
I don't know why anyone would want the Texans to spend draft capital on some others teams players before the start of FA with this deep draft in any case. It's much too early to panic
Given our cap space and window, I’d like to see this selective aggressiveness Gaine touted during the combine. Let’s throw a Hail Mary or two. If it doesn’t work out, then aw shucks. But it’s better than our go to strategy of going above market for other teams backup players

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Agree with pretty much everything else except the Trent Brown part. If we get him at a good or fair deal go for it but to many teams have been burned to many times, including us, with a player that was a star for the Pats and a bust for everyone else. Something about that place, looking at you BB, just makes average players look good and good players look great. Makes me really gun shy to sign a Pats player not named Brady for big money.
This is not accurate at all. Brown may not be a stud signing for what he may command, but being afraid of a prospect simply because he plays for the Patriots makes no sense, nor is the reasoning accurate. Plenty of players have left the Pats and done well.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
This is not accurate at all. Brown may not be a stud signing for what he may command, but being afraid of a prospect simply because he plays for the Patriots makes no sense, nor is the reasoning accurate. Plenty of players have left the Pats and done well.
Didn't say I wouldn't sign someone just because they were a Pat I'm just saying that NE makes players look better than sometimes they really are. Its something to be aware before dropping, I don't know, 60 million on a guy with one good season.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Didn't say I wouldn't sign someone just because they were a Pat I'm just saying that NE makes players look better than sometimes they really are. Its something to be aware before dropping, I don't know, 60 million on a guy with one good season.
We are pretty desperate for Olineman and simply drafting a few guys isn't going to solve it in one off season. That's if you draft good players. Grabbing a FA with experience would speed up that process quite a bit I think. I agree that Brown carries risk when you consider what he'll likely get paid, but we're in a pretty bad situation and I think we're in a SB window right now with that right off season. We need to keep our foot on the necks of the rest of the NFL and go for it while we're close.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
We are pretty desperate for Olineman and simply drafting a few guys isn't going to solve it in one off season. That's if you draft good players. Grabbing a FA with experience would speed up that process quite a bit I think. I agree that Brown carries risk when you consider what he'll likely get paid, but we're in a pretty bad situation and I think we're in a SB window right now with that right off season. We need to keep our foot on the necks of the rest of the NFL and go for it while we're close.
Guessing you haven't kept up with the news on Brown but he was what I referenced on the 60 million, that's for 4 years and 32 million of it guaranteed. That's way to much for a guy that played in a very Oline friendly system guarding the GOAT QB that takes care of himself pretty well. Yes we need better players on Oline, Watson can not take 60+ sacks again, but one player isn't going to fix all our problems either.