Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Anyone else have the feeling that the bottom is about to drop on our season

Every game this year, we've seen this team play very good football in spurts.
The Giants game. The Cowboys game. MNF at Indy. Last week in Tennessee. Where the hell did you see the Texans play "very good football" in these games?

When did the "bottom drop out" for the Texans in 2010? When Bob McNair decided to retain Kubiak & Smith.

There is a VERY fine line between a good team and a bad team in the NFL. Doesn't take much to be 5-11 or 11-5 just look at the games the Texans have won and lost that were last minute affairs.

I completely disagree. The Texans are a bad team and there is no fine line. The margin is pretty wide. Finishing the season at 6-10 vs. 11-5 is a wide margin and there is not a whole lot of debate about who the better team is at the end of the year.

Yeah, I'm aware of any given Sunday, but if we take into account a teams overall body of work you can easily tell who's a good team and who's a bad team.

Yeah, we barely lost to some teams...Last second stuff...But overall, the Jets, Jags and Ravens are all better teams than us.

There is a very fine line between wins and losses on any given Sunday, There is a very fine line between a Pick and an INT, there is a very fine line between success and failure on any given play...But when you put the complete body of work together you can start seeing who consistently performs..

The Texans do not consistently perform like "winning teams"...So no, I disagree that there is a fine line between good and bad teams...

Yes, there's that one bad play that "loses the game" but only after a dozen plays that get us in the game. If we play like that for two halves, we'd have two bad plays to overcome, instead of the half dozen bad plays we commit when we play conservative.

Texans have no balance...

They are either on fire, or they are ice cold.

That is the problem.

The only way you get an amazing comeback, or psuedo-amazing comeback is to be amazingly bad in the first place.

I don't mind if the Texans don't play "amazingly" like they have in making comebacks...

I just want them to play consistently well throughout the game. Make plays in crunch time...Don't screw yourself so bad right out of the gate.

Just keep "chopping wood" throughout the game...throughout the season...

The problem with that is that our role players (basically players that aren't stars) do not play consistently well. Instead they are the ones that are hot and cold with a lot of them just on permanent freeze.

The Giants game. The Cowboys game. MNF at Indy. Last week in Tennessee. Where the hell did you see the Texans play "very good football" in these games?

When did the "bottom drop out" for the Texans in 2010? When Bob McNair decided to retain Kubiak & Smith.

At the start of the third Qtr of the Giants game, the defense was excellent for three or four series. (that's what spurts mean, not the whole game, spurts). Dallas for the first half, the defense played well.

There were spurts in the Indy game, there were spurts in the Titans game. No Mario Williams, but 3 sacks.

Yeah, I'm aware of any given Sunday, but if we take into account a teams overall body of work you can easily tell who's a good team and who's a bad team.

Yeah, we barely lost to some teams...Last second stuff...But overall, the Jets, Jags and Ravens are all better teams than us.
So, last year, were we (the Texans) as good as the Ravens, Jets, & Steelers? We were all 9-7.

Were we better than the Jags who finished 7-9?

when you put the complete body of work together you can start seeing who consistently performs..

The Texans do not consistently perform like "winning teams"...So no, I disagree that there is a fine line between good and bad teams...

There are moments, when our team is awesome on 1st & 2nd down, defensively. We get in the backfield & we make things happen. We force their team backwards. Then on third down, 3rd & 19 for instance, we play prevent defense & give up 40+ yards.

Is that because our players consistently fail to play to their potential on 3rd & 19, or because their potential is not being properly utilized?

So, last year, were we (the Texans) as good as the Ravens, Jets, & Steelers? We were all 9-7.

See, now that is a fine line that can be debated...

I think we could have beat any of those teams late in the year...I think a Texans vs. any of those teams in December would have been a decent match-up. We probably would have lost, but I think we'd have had a fighting chance...

There are moments, when our team is awesome on 1st & 2nd down, defensively. We get in the backfield & we make things happen. We force their team backwards. Then on third down, 3rd & 19 for instance, we play prevent defense & give up 40+ yards.

Is that because our players consistently fail to play to their potential on 3rd & 19, or because their potential is not being properly utilized?

That is because they are not that good. That is because we have fools gold as a football team.

Looks nice at times...But not worth a cold biscuit...

I think we have SOME good pieces on defense and that keeps us competitive at times...When individuals make good plays we look good...But as a unit, we are crappy.....

I don't think the scheme properly utilizes our talent, but I also don't think we are all that talented...

An increase in either category would help us improve...

It is not of much importance how well the defense performs on first or second down because they are poor at producing turnovers.

Good ?

Agreed

Back