Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Anybody but Bryce Young in the draft....

Well Mr. NFL history expert, has a long term Astros like rebuild ever worked to build a championship team in the NFL?

I’m not drinking the Caserio :koolaid:
Not sure if Calhoun is either? but probably doesn’t have the 🏈 🏈 to **** can him either. So here we are. No indication anything will change and assuming outcome will be different.

Yes the Steelers/49ers/NYG of the 80's

The Kelly Bills

And even the Moon lead Oilers.
The Kelly Bills, Moon Oilers, and 80's Steelers were championship teams? That's news to me. Let's see it took the Astros 5 seasons to make the playoffs and 7 to finally win a World Series. Let's take a look at the teams you listed:

The 80's 49ers took 3 years to win a Super Bowl with Walsh, going 2-14 and 6-10, you know showing improvement as they built.

The 80's Giants took 4 years to win a Super Bowl with Parcells going 3-12-1 his first year, but became a playoff contender after that.

I'm going to guess you meant the 70's Steelers, I guess comparable to the Stros. It took Noll 4 years to turn them into a playoff contender, going 1-13, 5-9, and 6-8 in his first three seasons, still showing improvement. In year 6 they got over the hump, after a legendary draft where they picked 4 HOFers.

Also these teams were all the pre-salary cap era, so you could just keep all those good players you picked, you didn't have to worry about free agency. So uh, you got any examples in the salary cap era?

The Kelly Bills, Moon Oilers, and 80's Steelers were championship teams? That's news to me. Let's see it took the Astros 5 seasons to make the playoffs and 7 to finally win a World Series. Let's take a look at the teams you listed:

The 80's 49ers took 3 years to win a Super Bowl with Walsh, going 2-14 and 6-10, you know showing improvement as they built.

The 80's Giants took 4 years to win a Super Bowl with Parcells going 3-12-1 his first year, but became a playoff contender after that.

I'm going to guess you meant the 70's Steelers, I guess comparable to the Stros. It took Noll 4 years to turn them into a playoff contender, going 1-13, 5-9, and 6-8 in his first three seasons, still showing improvement. In year 6 they got over the hump, after a legendary draft where they picked 4 HOFers.

Also these teams were all the pre-salary cap era, so you could just keep all those good players you picked, you didn't have to worry about free agency. So uh, you got any examples in the salary cap era?

The Bengals/Bucs and Eagles were bad and built their teams into championship contenders.

The Bengals/Bucs and Eagles were bad and built their teams into championship contenders.
None of those teams had a long term Astros like rebuild though.

Eagles had what back to back 7-9 seasons, one by Chip Kelly then Doug Pederson. They won their Super Bowl in Pederson's second year, with a back up QB, not the highly drafted QB they gave up a lot draft capital for.

The Buccs did tank for good ol' famous Jameis, and then were just bad to mediocre. They built a nice roster though, but if I remember correctly it took some guy named Brady to help them get over that championship hump. So unless the Texans can sign the GOAT to play QB, not a model I want them to use.

Chiefs were awful before Reid yes, but he also immediately turned them into a playoff contender. They've never had a losing season under Reid, yet built a championship team, how about that?

Once again Bengals and Harbaugh 49ers, not CHAMPIONSHIP teams. Bengals look promising, but they're not there yet. Also they made the super bowl in year 3.

None of those teams had a long term Astros like rebuild though.

Eagles had what back to back 7-9 seasons, one by Chip Kelly then Doug Pederson. They won their Super Bowl in Pederson's second year, with a back up QB, not the highly drafted QB they gave up a lot draft capital for.

The Buccs did tank for good ol' famous Jameis, and then were just bad to mediocre. They built a nice roster though, but if I remember correctly it took some guy named Brady to help them get over that championship hump. So unless the Texans can sign the GOAT to play QB, not a model I want them to use.

Chiefs were awful before Reid yes, but he also immediately turned them into a playoff contender. They've never had a losing season under Reid, yet built a championship team, how about that?

Once again Bengals and Harbaugh 49ers, not CHAMPIONSHIP teams. Bengals look promising, but they're not there yet. Also they made the super bowl in year 3.
Well then that settles it.

Win 5-6 games with the midget QB and continue on for the next decade living in mediocrity.

BTW, the Eagles were bad before Kelly and that's where they gathered alot of their talent.

The problem in taking a QB with the first pick of RD1, the Texans will put him under center from Day 1. How many times do we have to watch this disaster unfold? Hooker is going to make some team very happy regardless of his age or when he hits the field. Drafting Hooker prevents the Texans from pulling the OL’ QB Development Gun out of the drawer and shooting themselves in the foot for the umpteenth time…..hail, they’ve got to be running out of toes to aim at. Hooker is very good and may be even better with a little unrushed development time.
So you want to draft a lesser QB so you can not play him? Are you thinking Hooker is Rodgers-like? At least Rodgers was the highest rated QB in his draft but no one (other than you)has Hooker rated as all that. Even before his injury he was never more than the 4th best QB in the class.

Well then that settles it.

Win 5-6 games with the midget QB and continue on for the next decade living in mediocrity.

BTW, the Eagles were bad before Kelly and that's where they gathered alot of their talent.
Uh the Eagles had Andy Reid before Chip Kelly. The guy who had 3 losing seasons out of his 14 there. They did gather a lot of talent, but I don't think it was because they were bad.

Reactions: JB
I don't think any fan would feel any better about this rebuild if NC came out and said "this is what we're doing.."....b/c all that would lead to is more criticism as all the complainers would use that against him....Heard this same crap from John and LZ this morning regarding the Rockets and their rebuild. Folks need to stop pretending like they'd be more patient, forgiving...or whatever if they knew what "the plan" was b/c as we all know, plans & strategies change all the time.

As far as the Texans, NC and what the future holds for this rebuild, there are 1 - 2 moves/things this team could pull off in the offseason that could completely change the tenor around here about how this rebuild is going. Good news is 1 of them is almost assuredly going to happen...which is the drafting of either Stroud or Young to get your franchise qb. The 2nd move is a fielder's choice depending on how you feel. The Texans could do 1 of the following in conjunction with the aforementioned:

- Fire Lovie & bring in a young highly regarded HC...who will in turn likely bring in a new set of coaches.

- Fire Pep & bring in a new OC...tougher considering whomever it is would have to be someone getting a promotion & most likely an unknown.

- Sign a huge FA to shore up a big time weakness...i'm looking at the run defense here. A signing of any one of Javon Hargrave (unlikely), Da'ron Payne (less unlikely) or someone like Dalvin Tomlinson or Zach Allen in FA would be huge for this defense.

Absolutely kill the draft...obviously if they did this and added it to the talent already on this team, we'd look similar to what the Jags are right now with a young core of talented guys.

I don't think any fan would feel any better about this rebuild if NC came out and said "this is what we're doing.."....b/c all that would lead to is more criticism as all the complainers would use that against him....
I mean... in week 1 Lovie played for a tie. That pretty much tells us right there.

So you want to draft a lesser QB so you can not play him? Are you thinking Hooker is Rodgers-like? At least Rodgers was the highest rated QB in his draft but no one (other than you)has Hooker rated as all that. Even before his injury he was never more than the 4th best QB in the class.

Hooker has had 2 remarkable seasons at Tennessee. Yes, my view of Hooker is my opinion, and I will not waiver on the way I see him.

Hooker has had 2 remarkable seasons at Tennessee. Yes, my view of Hooker is my opinion, and I will not waiver on the way I see him.
And drafting the injured player knowing he won't play for a year is a positive to you?

I don't think any fan would feel any better about this rebuild if NC came out and said "this is what we're doing.."....b/c all that would lead to is more criticism as all the complainers would use that against him....Heard this same crap from John and LZ this morning regarding the Rockets and their rebuild. Folks need to stop pretending like they'd be more patient, forgiving...or whatever if they knew what "the plan" was b/c as we all know, plans & strategies change all the time.

As far as the Texans, NC and what the future holds for this rebuild, there are 1 - 2 moves/things this team could pull off in the offseason that could completely change the tenor around here about how this rebuild is going. Good news is 1 of them is almost assuredly going to happen...which is the drafting of either Stroud or Young to get your franchise qb. The 2nd move is a fielder's choice depending on how you feel. The Texans could do 1 of the following in conjunction with the aforementioned:

- Fire Lovie & bring in a young highly regarded HC...who will in turn likely bring in a new set of coaches.

- Fire Pep & bring in a new OC...tougher considering whomever it is would have to be someone getting a promotion & most likely an unknown.

- Sign a huge FA to shore up a big time weakness...i'm looking at the run defense here. A signing of any one of Javon Hargrave (unlikely), Da'ron Payne (less unlikely) or someone like Dalvin Tomlinson or Zach Allen in FA would be huge for this defense.

Absolutely kill the draft...obviously if they did this and added it to the talent already on this team, we'd look similar to what the Jags are right now with a young core of talented guys.
I don't think Lovie is going to fire Pep. I think if Pep is fired, its going to come from Caserio. If it were me, I would do as stated and fire everyone and start over quickly. I would hire the gm and let him hire the coach and everything else. I don't think a young respectable offensive minded coach is going to come here and coach under Lovie who is a lame duck of sorts. I mean you might can get Frank Reich especially with a young qb to mold, but I think its limited. Just my opinion, but I do agree about getting the qb this draft regardless of who is the coach.

Reactions: JB
I don't think Lovie is going to fire Pep. I think if Pep is fired, its going to come from Caserio. If it were me, I would do as stated and fire everyone and start over quickly. I would hire the gm and let him hire the coach and everything else. I don't think a young respectable offensive minded coach is going to come here and coach under Lovie who is a lame duck of sorts. I mean you might can get Frank Reich especially with a young qb to mold, but I think its limited. Just my opinion, but I do agree about getting the qb this draft regardless of who is the coach.

Lovie’s on record as saying that he leaves the offense to the OC so in that regard i could easily see NC firing Pep and Lovie would be ok with it. & Reich would be the perect guy to come in abd be the OC as he would be an upgrade over Pep and can take over as HC in the event Lovie’s gotta be fired.

i also think you underestimate young offensive minded guys looking to get promoted. A guy like Joe Brady could also be a guy. He’s currently qb coach for the Bills. Kinda got a raw deal in Carolina.

Lovie’s on record as saying that he leaves the offense to the OC so in that regard i could easily see NC firing Pep and Lovie would be ok with it. & Reich would be the perect guy to come in abd be the OC as he would be an upgrade over Pep and can take over as HC in the event Lovie’s gotta be fired.

i also think you underestimate young offensive minded guys looking to get promoted. A guy like Joe Brady could also be a guy. He’s currently qb coach for the Bills. Kinda got a raw deal in Carolina.
I was wondering why they didn't interview Brady in the 1st place. Yep, he got a raw deal. I just like the Shanny/Kubiak tree guys honestly. A young offensive mind will always adhere to the conservative nature of Lovie. If that oc has success, he's going to be gone and Lovie will have to hire another oc. I'd rather have a offensive guy with a system that he knows.

And drafting the injured player knowing he won't play for a year is a positive to you?

I don’t see it as the negative most do. His injury is not a career ender, just a career delayer. When he returns to the field, he could be better and stronger.

I was wondering why they didn't interview Brady in the 1st place. Yep, he got a raw deal. I just like the Shanny/Kubiak tree guys honestly. A young offensive mind will always adhere to the conservative nature of Lovie. If that oc has success, he's going to be gone and Lovie will have to hire another oc. I'd rather have a offensive guy with a system that he knows.

i think with a new OC being brought in by someone NOT him, Lovie would feel like he has to back off in influencing how aggressive/creative the new OC would be in implementing offensive strategy and playcalling. He’d have to be self aware enough to know that his approach & influence on offense with Pep in 2022 is primarily why that guy isn’t here anymore & The creativity and wrinkles thrown in on offense in the last 4-5 games of the season kept us in alot of games against teams we had no business competing with.

Sure the young coaching offensive mind being brought in would eventually leave, but i wouldn’t think that would happen for at least 2 years… The trend in the NFL seems to be that former qbs on the pro level know how to craft offenses and call plays to get the best out of their qbs…Pederson, Kafka, Dorsey, Taylor, O’Connell…Getsy the list just goes on & on. Even Pep as a former qb who never played on the pro level got a little better with playcalling once Lovie backed off in the last 4-5 games. So i think there are plenty of young guys that would jump at the opportunity to put their mark on the NFL by being seen as the young OC that played a key role in developing a Stroud or Young ……….guys like Zac Robinson up in LA….Mark Brunell in Detroit would also be great candidates as former qbs in the NFL and guys already on coaching staffs that could be promoted up to OC here that would have alot to offer a young qb.

Last edited:
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/bryce-young-qb-alabama-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/
Well worth perusing.
Young is as close to an elite prospect as you could hope for except for his stature.
He is gonna need our Oline to be upgraded as well as another real weapon to throw to and a real run game to take some pressure off him.
I hope John Metchie recovers fully for his own sake and when he comes back, he will be reunited with his buddy from Alabama.

I did a mock, grabbed Bryce at 2, and Hooker at top of the third. I figured Hooker could rehab and learn, be a backup plan if Bryce wet the bed, and be better then a rd3 in a trade if Bryce was working out. So at the right value, Hooker is a good option. I don't think in the real draft he lasts until the third though

I did a mock, grabbed Bryce at 2, and Hooker at top of the third. I figured Hooker could rehab and learn, be a backup plan if Bryce wet the bed, and be better then a rd3 in a trade if Bryce was working out. So at the right value, Hooker is a good option. I don't think in the real draft he lasts until the third though

I think Hooker is a 3rd day lottery pick. Injury, age, still needs development. I think he’ll go to a team with a lot of 3rd day comp picks.

Back