Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Any of you gonna admit to owing DW4 an apology?

Texas Jake

Rookie
I mean in hindsight O'brien was right. His defense did hold, but the offense couldnt get anything going until late in the game. Im not trying to make it seem like its a foregone conclusion Fairbairn makes it either, only that either A) you give them great field position, but your defense holds or B) you miss the long FG and they go and kick another FG to go up 13 .. you're still down 2 scores no matter what.

Situational awareness will dictate limits I guess. Who knows maybe Fairbairn said he couldnt hit it? Sore foot, or whatever. **** happens.
I would have like to see OB go for the FG, but I understand his reasoning for not. You give them the ball on the miss and they score a TD and the game is over. Like I said, I would have preferred to take the chance, but I can respect the decision not to.

zshawn10

All Pro
patrick

✔@PatDStat

https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/1072539472993140737

“Stay disciplined to the system.” Deshaun Watson on what he learned from Sunday’s loss. Talked about trusting his reads. #Texans

https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1072539472993140737

11:11 AM - Dec 11, 2018

Deepi Sidhu

✔@DeepSlant

https://twitter.com/DeepSlant/status/1072539969003110400

Watson lists the 3 areas he'd like to improve on for rest of season: Capitalize on deep shots down the field, don't take too many sacks, take what the defense gives me. #Texans

https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1072539969003110400

11:13 AM - Dec 11, 2018

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
patrick

✔@PatDStat

“Stay disciplined to the system.” Deshaun Watson on what he learned from Sunday’s loss. Talked about trusting his reads. #Texans

11:11 AM - Dec 11, 2018

Deepi Sidhu

✔@DeepSlant

Watson lists the 3 areas he'd like to improve on for rest of season: Capitalize on deep shots down the field, don't take too many sacks, take what the defense gives me. #Texans

11:13 AM - Dec 11, 2018
In the proverbial words of Aaron Rodgers ..... R-E-L-A-X ..... Deshaun needs to let the game open up naturally .. he's forcing way too much and in that forgetting that there are 4-6 pissed off dudes trying to ram his kneecap up his asshole. First solution to a problem is understanding you have a problem. Its good to see him be accountable and work on developing those traits. Im still a little wary when he lists "deep shots down field" as the first item up for bids, but hey as long as the other two issues were noticed and discussed. He's a gunslinger what can you do?

Uncle Rico

I think if OBrien/Watson could find a way to integrate the short passing game as a weapon instead of a 'balance' point or sack preventer it could really open up not only the playcalling, but also Watsons overall game and ultimately the intermediate and long passing games. How about balance to the passing game itself?

Uncle Rico

Is there a chart for most scrambles like Tarkenton that result in a loss of 10+ yards?
'ask and ye shall receive' ... stat is sacks for loss.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/passing-sacked-yards

Watson is right behind Eli Manning as WORST in the league with 328 yards lost due to sack, now how many of those are the 'running around with the head cut off' variety, man I'd have to do some digging and see how many were OL breakdowns or just dumb young QB mistakes.

I'd venture to guess that most anybody would say this is his biggest weakness.

Max

Veteran
Seattle keeps popping up on a lot of these team stats as being similar to us. Run first, mobile qb. Just got me thinking about Darrell Bevell again as an O coordinator for us. Seattle passed more under Bevell but I assume we're going to pass more w/ better pass pro as well. 2 super bowls w/ Seattle and 1 NFC championship game w/ Minnesota. Favre had his best season ever statistically under Bevell and he's familiar w/ Watson's style after playing w/ Wilson. Seems like he may have gleaned a thing or two with all that experience and could bring something to the table.

Shishkabob

All Pro
'ask and ye shall receive' ... stat is sacks for loss.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/passing-sacked-yards

Watson is right behind Eli Manning as WORST in the league with 328 yards lost due to sack, now how many of those are the 'running around with the head cut off' variety, man I'd have to do some digging and see how many were OL breakdowns or just dumb young QB mistakes.

I'd venture to guess that most anybody would say this is his biggest weakness.
I did the math on the first 15 or so on the list, he is actually one of the better ones in terms of yards lost per sack at 6.3 YPS, Eli is well over 7, worse one I saw was Tannehill who is the only QB over 8

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
......and imagine, those stats have been generated behind an awful OL. I can only wonder what an upgraded OL would do for Watson.....not to mention Hopkins, Fuller, Coutee, the Jordan's and whoever is running the ball. Let Watson have time to go through progressions and DC's will pay dearly.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
......and imagine, those stats have been generated behind an awful OL. I can only wonder what an upgraded OL would do for Watson.....not to mention Hopkins, Fuller, Coutee, the Jordan's and whoever is running the ball. Let Watson have time to go through progressions and DC's will pay dearly.
Good times are ahead once Watson is protected properly and get him a couple of weapons.

Uncle Rico

tedr

Rookie
Texans haven’t lost a single game that Deshaun Watson‘s started by more than one score. That’s insane.

Texans margins of defeat with DW4:

Dude’s the truth.

— Matt Hammond (@MattHammondShow) December 19, 2018
That's wild...he's a winner, and if he does lose, he keeps them in the game until the end. That's why I think they at least have a shot to go to the Super Bowl- they are never out of it with DW4.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Aaron Reiss

✔@aaronjreiss

Deshaun Watson vs. the blitz this season, per @PFF_Texans:
— 89-128 (69.5%) for 1,229 yards, 4 TDs, 2 INT, 9.6 YPA
18 of the 51 sacks he's taken have occurred against blitzes#Texans
but last week everyone around here was up in arms that Deshaun Watson couldnt succeed in the face of a blitz? I know! It was Rick Smith's fault!
#Texans
https://twitter.com/aaronjreiss/status/1075093593650589697
I'm not sure that stat cannot be interpreted different ways

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
Texans haven’t lost a single game that Deshaun Watson‘s started by more than one score. That’s insane.

Texans margins of defeat with DW4:

Dude’s the truth.

— Matt Hammond (@MattHammondShow) December 19, 2018
I won’t look at last year but if I remember correctly... the Pats were steamrolling the Texans. Our scores were in the latter part of the game playing catch up. I’d say they were basically garbagetime points. Same with the Giants.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I won’t look at last year but if I remember correctly... the Pats were steamrolling the Texans. Our scores were in the latter part of the game playing catch up. I’d say they were basically garbagetime points. Same with the Giants.
So.

bigmck

Rookie
OK Guys, I am always the last to know. I go to work and see a picture on the wall and find out it has been there for two months. DW4.............What is the 4 for? I doubt he is 4th Generation. Why 4? == Whoops......Never mind. That is his number. See I told 'Ya. :mariopalm:

Texas Jake

Rookie
OK Guys, I am always the last to know. I go to work and see a picture on the wall and find out it has been there for two months. DW4.............What is the 4 for? I doubt he is 4th Generation. Why 4? == Whoops......Never mind. That is his number. See I told 'Ya. :-)
His jersey number.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
OK Guys, I am always the last to know. I go to work and see a picture on the wall and find out it has been there for two months. DW4.............What is the 4 for? I doubt he is 4th Generation. Why 4? == Whoops......Never mind. That is his number. See I told 'Ya. :mariopalm:
You buy them books... you take them to school... but you can't make them learn.

jk

edromeo

Rookie
Seattle keeps popping up on a lot of these team stats as being similar to us. Run first, mobile qb. Just got me thinking about Darrell Bevell again as an O coordinator for us. Seattle passed more under Bevell but I assume we're going to pass more w/ better pass pro as well. 2 super bowls w/ Seattle and 1 NFC championship game w/ Minnesota. Favre had his best season ever statistically under Bevell and he's familiar w/ Watson's style after playing w/ Wilson. Seems like he may have gleaned a thing or two with all that experience and could bring something to the table.
I think O'Brien/Sean Ryan are plenty good enough that going to Darrell Bevell would only be a step down in quality. And what do you mean by run first QB? I don't think Watson nor Russell are anything close to run first QBs.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
I think O'Brien/Sean Ryan are plenty good enough that going to Darrell Bevell would only be a step down in quality. And what do you mean by run first QB? I don't think Watson nor Russell are anything close to run first QBs.
“Run first” being our game plan, and we also have a mobile QB (Wilson)

Reactions: Max

Texansballer74

The Marine
We took the lead lol. How is that garbage time points. The Patriots beat us with a late drive with time running out. A pass to Cook.

Your memory deceives you lol

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
That is this year’s first game of the season. Last year we were winning up until Brady made the pass to Cook in the 4th qtr.
Oh. I was talking about our two worst losses this year. Didn’t realize we were talking about last year’s games. Carry on.

EDIT: Actually, I thought I made it clear I was talking about this year’s losses.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Oh. I was talking about our two worst losses this year. Didn’t realize we were talking about last year’s games. Carry on.

EDIT: Actually, I thought I made it clear I was talking about this year’s losses.
I just reread your original post. I thought you were talking about last year. You are right the Pats did steamroll us but DW was just recovering from injury. Hopefully when we meet the Patriots again this season it’s a different game. ;)

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
The Patriots are human and also now on the decline. Dangerous yes....but so are the Texans. If we are ever going to beat them convincingly......no better time than this season and in the playoffs.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I just reread your original post. I thought you were talking about last year. You are right the Pats did steamroll us but DW was just recovering from injury. Hopefully when we meet the Patriots again this season it’s a different game. ;)
I seem to remember that Watson was fully healthy and BOB was holding him back according to some on this MB.

Uncle Rico

FF to 7:36 for the Texanscentric stuff. Some of you guys don't like the PFF stuff so you may want to hop over this one.

Mangler

Toro de España
Ummm no we didn’t. We never had the lead at all. Patriots were up by as much as 24-6 near the end of the 3rd quarter.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=401030714
You have your games mixed up. Last year we had the lead a couple of times and blew it in the end. EXACTLY the same way we blew it in Seattle! I know, was there for both expensive heartbreaks! (Flights for the wife and I, tickets, Airbnb, food, drinks, site seeing, etc.)

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
You have your games mixed up. Last year we had the lead a couple of times and blew it in the end. EXACTLY the same way we blew it in Seattle! I know, was there for both expensive heartbreaks! (Flights for the wife and I, tickets, Airbnb, food, drinks, site seeing, etc.)
I’m not referring to last year’s games. I thought I made that clear in my first post. Sorry for any confusion.