Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Any of you gonna admit to owing DW4 an apology?

DvM59nrWwAAU3Rv.jpg

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/12/28...n-nfl-playoffs-2019-rookie-contract-cap-space

Good read. Never thought about what a Watson long term deal would look like. It's a doozy.

lol when he was on Get Up yesterday they were talking about the deal Manny Machado just got 7 yrs $175 mil, asked Deshaun if he would take it to which he replied "right now, of course" and to think how much of a bargain would it be to have your franchise QB on a $25 mil a year from this point going forward over the next 7 years. Just crazy that in todays market a QB making $25 mil is a bargain when it seems like just 2-3 years ago that same contract would be record breaking lol

Wtf was the trend of "apology threads" about? Where are the "you were right I was wrong" thread?

Seemed like for months there was a "are you gonna admit" thread?

It's just sports. We're right some and wrong some.

I'm tempted to start an "I was wrong thread."

And a

"Screw you, I was right" thread.

Last edited:
Quick thing this morning from the radio.
1. Watson was completely transparent that early in the year he was looking for the big play too often. It directly effected his play and INTs. When he stopped trying to hit them so frequently, his INTs went away. He specifically said there was a point in the year where he was watching film with OB and he realized what he was doing. From then forward, he made a point to limit his deep shots.

ProFootballTalk

✔@ProFootballTalk

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1090276210029006848

Deshaun Watson said today on PFT Live that he's known Patrick Mahomes since they were teenagers, and he has dreams that he and Mahomes can be the next Brady and Manning https://wp.me/p14QSB-aSKG

https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1090276210029006848

9:51 AM - Jan 29, 2019

[PFF] The highest passer rating on intermediate throws from the 2018 regular season belongs to Deshaun Watson

1. Watson was completely transparent that early in the year he was looking for the big play too often. It directly effected his play and INTs. When he stopped trying to hit them so frequently, his INTs went away. He specifically said there was a point in the year where he was watching film with OB and he realized what he was doing. From then forward, he made a point to limit his deep shots.

ProFootballTalk

✔@ProFootballTalk

Deshaun Watson said today on PFT Live that he's known Patrick Mahomes since they were teenagers, and he has dreams that he and Mahomes can be the next Brady and Manning https://wp.me/p14QSB-aSKG

[PFF] The highest passer rating on intermediate throws from the 2018 regular season belongs to Deshaun Watson

Question is which one will be which.

• Texans Deshaun Watson Talked to Steve Smith Jr. On His Critical Comments of Him
3 hrs

Houston Texans Deshaun Watson talked to Steve Smith Jr. on his critical comments of him during their playoff loss. SEE VIDEO BELOW

After the Houston Texans Wildcard loss to the Indianapolis Colts, NFL Network's analyst and former NFL wide receiver Steve Smith Jr. was very critical of quarterback Deshaun Watson. Down by three possession, Watson was still doing his patented “slime” signal for a first down despite time burning off the clock and the Texans down in an elimination game.

Here was Smith’s take on Watson’s celebration on Good Morning Football after the Texans loss.

VIDEO

Deshaun Watson Says Knee Injury Was a Mental Issue to Start the 2018 Season
byPatrick D. Starr4 hrs

Houston Texans Deshuan Watson Admits His Knee Injury Was a Mental Issue to Start the 2018 Season.

Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson made the rounds at Radio Row at the Super Bowl in Atlanta. Watson took time to stop at multiple outlets to discuss his 2018 season. Watson had one of the most productive seasons in franchise history becoming the first quarterback in NFL history to throw for 4,165 passing yards, 26 passing touchdowns, 551 rushing yards and five rushing touchdowns this season.

This impressive season from Watson did not start off without some uneasiness. Coming off a torn ACL from his rookie season in 2017, Watson spent the off-season working to get back to the field and ready for their week one game. Watson during his interview with Pro Football Talk admitted his repaired knee was in the back of his mind to start the season.

Watson discussed his how his knee was an issue for him to start the 2018 season.

“Honestly, the first part where I felt my knee surgery was at the beginning,” Watson said to Peter King on Pro Football Talk. “Because you know you can practice and you can go through training camp but practice and the game is two totally different tempos. The first three games, I that is where I was kinda trying to get the feel of myself if I can still move around. But after that from game four through the rest of the year, I never had a problem with it.”

Watson felt he was behind the entire season trying to catch up to lost time he was using to focus on his rehab. The upcoming 2019 season, Watson will have his first real off-season that does not involve anything else but the game of football. Preparing for the combine his rookie season and the past off-season rehabbing his knee, Watson is locked and loaded this coming off-season. Watson is working on finding his own nutritionist, massage therapist, trainer and quarterback trainer to help him prepare for the upcoming season.

ProFootballTalk

✔@ProFootballTalk

I mean, anyone with a shred of common sense or personal experience with ACL injuries knew that he wasn't gonna be the same guy he was in 2017 for at least half of the 2018 season. You did if you didn't have a personal agenda anyway. This despite what he was saying at the time during the season.

All the B.S. narratives around here about BoB's offense "making" him stay in the pocket.....or only running deep route combos that "forced" DW4 to hold onto the ball & throw ill advised passes were just that...B.S. Just from that little exercpt above, seems to me BoB had been encouraging the kid to get rid of it earlier...... & it just finally clicked with the kid. The last part of his development that he needs to improve is his end of game clock management....Most people think that's on the HC don't realize that's more on the qb. Brady, Manning, Rothlisberger, Brees, Rodgers ....all the greats of the game are primarily in the driver's seat when it comes to that aspect of the game.

But all that is part of the maturation process of a young qb & i expect him to be a monster next year.

Look here dude, you have a darn young QB coming back from a major injury. Who also tasted some really good success during that 6 game span in his rookie season. It is up to the freaking coach to settle the youngster down. Saying, " look here Watson this is what I need you to do". Let's start off slow by hitting our short routes (dink and donk) that way we can get you into a rhythm as well as build up your confidence. Plus keep you healthy. We really don't need you taking a lot of unnecessary hits.

That coaching staff should had that offensive line ready before the regular season started. We all know he did not give that inexperienced bunch the adequate time in the offseason.

You have an unprepared, inexperienced offensive line and a very young QB coming back from a major injury, spells disaster.

That's the reason why I put a lot of the blame on the HC/OC.

Look here dude, you have a darn young QB coming back from a major injury. Who also tasted some really good success during that 6 game span in his rookie season. It is up to the freaking coach to settle the youngster down. Saying, " look here Watson this is what I need you to do". Let's start off slow by hitting our short routes (dink and donk) that way we can get you into a rhythm as well as build up your confidence. Plus keep you healthy. We really don't need you taking a lot of unnecessary hits.

That coaching staff should had that offensive line ready before the regular season started. We all know he did not give that inexperienced bunch the adequate time in the offseason.

You have an unprepared, inexperienced offensive line and a very young QB coming back from a major injury, spells disaster.

Anyone with extensive experience with major injuries knows that FEAR of re-injury is a great component of returning to the field. It is strongly subliminal if not overtly in the forefront of an athlete's mind. You can't just talk it or coach it away. The psychology of FEAR is extremely powerful..........and sometimes is NEVER lost. Even as a surgeon, when watching film or occasional replays of a player's horrific injuries (such as Teddy Bridgewater's and Zach Miller's), it still leaves me with a sick feeling inside. A player does not have the luxury of turning off the TV or tape................he relives the incident over and over and over again in his mind.................many times forever.

Last edited:
I mean, anyone with a shred of common sense or personal experience with ACL injuries knew that he wasn't gonna be the same guy he was in 2017 for at least half of the 2018 season. You did if you didn't have a personal agenda anyway. This despite what he was saying at the time during the season.

All the B.S. narratives around here about BoB's offense "making" him stay in the pocket.....or only running deep route combos that "forced" DW4 to hold onto the ball & throw ill advised passes were just that...B.S. Just from that little exercpt above, seems to me BoB had been encouraging the kid to get rid of it earlier...... & it just finally clicked with the kid. The last part of his development that he needs to improve is his end of game clock management....Most people think that's on the HC don't realize that's more on the qb. Brady, Manning, Rothlisberger, Brees, Rodgers ....all the greats of the game are primarily in the driver's seat when it comes to that aspect of the game.

But all that is part of the maturation process of a young qb & i expect him to be a monster next year.

Well said,

Think this may have contributed to the 0-3 start?

Nah, it was all BOB.

The OL sucked because the Texans didn't have the draft capital to fix it last season. That's not on BOB or Gaine for that matter. They tried to fix it by signing Solder but it didn't work out. When you combine this with Watson coming off of injury and being a rookie QB you get what we saw last season.

Anyone with extensive experience with major injuries knows that FEAR of re-injury is a great component of returning to the field. It is strongly subliminal if not overtly in the forefront of an athlete's mind. You can't just talk it or coach it away. The psychology of FEAR is extremely powerful..........and sometimes is NEVER lost. Even as a surgeon, when watching film or occasional replays of a player's horrific injuries (such as Teddy Bridgewater's and Zach Miller's), it still leaves me with a sick feeling inside. A player does not have the luxury of turning off the TV or tape................he relives the incident over and over and over again in his mind.................many times forever.

Very simple isn't it.

Well said,

Think this may have contributed to the 0-3 start?

Nah, it was all BOB.
Too bad the NFL doesn't have any pre-season games. If they did, a competent coach would have played Watson enough in pre-season to get past the injury return jitters. Then maybe they could have beat a couple of terrible teams that were playing at their worst in September and started 2-1 instead of 0-3.

Too bad the NFL doesn't have any pre-season games. If they did, a competent coach would have played Watson enough in pre-season to get past the injury return jitters. Then maybe they could have beat a couple of terrible teams that were playing at their worst in September and started 2-1 instead of 0-3.

First, Watson did play in the pre-season games and second how do you know playing all 4 quarters in all 3 games would have been enough to get him past it? Fear is a funny thing, there is no magic cure or time limit to get over something, you can't say "ok you've played three games now so that should be enough to get you past it". I fell about 10-15 feet when I was a teenager, that was over 20 years ago and I still have a fear of heights I didn't have before that fall.

Also, even if you could know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it would get him past the jitters there is a reason why you don't play your best very much in the preseason games. Injuries in pre-season can end your season just as much as an injury during regular season or playoffs only without any benefit. Its basic risk to reward, do you risk your best players getting injured in a game that doesn't have any reward? Same reason no team in the SB have any players in the pro bowl game.

The OL sucked because the Texans didn't have the draft capital to fix it last season. That's not on BOB or Gaine for that matter. They tried to fix it by signing Solder but it didn't work out. When you combine this with Watson coming off of injury and being a rookie QB you get what we saw last season.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/texanswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/31/texans-18-8-million-salary-cap/amp/

With nearly 19M in the bank, you'd think they could have signed at least a couple of decent O-linemen. No???

First, Watson did play in the pre-season games and second how do you know playing all 4 quarters in all 3 games would have been enough to get him past it? Fear is a funny thing, there is no magic cure or time limit to get over something, you can't say "ok you've played three games now so that should be enough to get you past it". I fell about 10-15 feet when I was a teenager, that was over 20 years ago and I still have a fear of heights I didn't have before that fall.

Also, even if you could know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it would get him past the jitters there is a reason why you don't play your best very much in the preseason games. Injuries in pre-season can end your season just as much as an injury during regular season or playoffs only without any benefit. Its basic risk to reward, do you risk your best players getting injured in a game that doesn't have any reward? Same reason no team in the SB have any players in the pro bowl game.
OK, so you don't know anything more about football that BOB does. Only playing one series per game obviously is not enough. In fact, that might be worse than nothing, because knowing you are only going in for a handful of plays will change your mindset to "just skate through a few plays" instead of "I am playing football".

And of course you don't know exactly how long it will take to work the jitters out, although about 3 games of about 3 quarters each is probably typical for many players.

It's not about winning preseason games. It's about using the preseason to prepare the team to win in the regular season. BOB didn't do that - and lots of us pointed that out at the time. Sure if Tom Brady is not coming off an injury, he doesn't need many preseason reps. Watson did need them this year, but BOB doesn't think it is his job to help the team win games.

Of course you don't want players getting injured in preseason. But players get injured in practice, even in non-contact drills. Should they stop practicing also? If your players are so fragile (lots of people on this site seem to think Watson is the most delicate snowflake in history) that you are afraid to prepare them for the season then you need stronger players or smarter coaching.

OK, so you don't know anything more about football that BOB does. Only playing one series per game obviously is not enough. In fact, that might be worse than nothing, because knowing you are only going in for a handful of plays will change your mindset to "just skate through a few plays" instead of "I am playing football".

And of course you don't know exactly how long it will take to work the jitters out, although about 3 games of about 3 quarters each is probably typical for many players.

It's not about winning preseason games. It's about using the preseason to prepare the team to win in the regular season. BOB didn't do that - and lots of us pointed that out at the time. Sure if Tom Brady is not coming off an injury, he doesn't need many preseason reps. Watson did need them this year, but BOB doesn't think it is his job to help the team win games.

Of course you don't want players getting injured in preseason. But players get injured in practice, even in non-contact drills. Should they stop practicing also? If your players are so fragile (lots of people on this site seem to think Watson is the most delicate snowflake in history) that you are afraid to prepare them for the season then you need stronger players or smarter coaching.

Its very impressive how you are able to completely ignore pretty much everything I said yet still make such a long reply to it. First I'm assuming you are basing the "might be worse than nothing" on your extensive experience in A: coaching professional football or B: assisting people in mentally recovering from injuries. I'm assuming this experience is also where you get 3 games of 3 quarters as being typical.

This idea that "BoB doesn't think it is his job to help the team win games" is one of the stupidest things I have read on this board and that's saying something. Do you honestly think he doesn't care if the team wins or not? Seriously I figured even the most hardcore of haters at least thought he wanted to win games even if they disagreed on how he went about doing it. Guess I underestimated how blind hate can be.

Yeah players get injuried, it happens, but you made it sound like they didn't play Watson at all and they did. Maybe they didn't play him enough, of course if they had played him and he had gotten injuried people on here would be yelling of how could BoB be so stupid to play him that much in the pre-season. There really is no winning with some of you.

You say I don't know anymore about football than BoB, and considering his years in football I actually could take that as a complement, but you clearly don't understand psychology and dealing with fear otherwise you would know that it's not something you can coach away. It has to be overcome by the person dealing with it and no throwing somebody into the deep part of the water is actually not a good way to teach them how to swim.

I haven't read this thread or the many posts...... But I will say this... I will never apologize for a young man making millions no matter how good or bad he does in a given endeavor.. If someone is willing to pay him.

That said.. he deserves every ounce.

Annnd.. he will command (that's off).. deserves every bit because he will earn it. Faith....

I'm in the bottle again.so, the apologies should be be directed to non spellchecker posts without.

I have no idea what I'm saying.

Side Note: I'm taking the Rams and the Over

If it only worked that way.

Most guys take a full yr to recover from an ACL injury. Both physically and mentally. Watson's recovery followed this timeline.

CnD can speak to this much better than I can.

BTW, I agree with you if you are saying BOB should play his starters more in the preseason.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/texanswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/31/texans-18-8-million-salary-cap/amp/

With nearly 19M in the bank, you'd think they could have signed at least a couple of decent O-linemen. No???

The talent wasn't there in FA last yr.

I wanted them to sign both Solder and Norwell. They chose to go the backup route for different reasons.

If the Pats let Brown go then Gaine should be talking to his agent immediately. Tampering be damned. Brown is from Texas and doesn't have a sick kid so there shouldn't be the same issues bringing Brown to Kirby that there was with Solder.

I wanted them to sign both Solder and Norwell. They chose to go the backup route for different reasons.

If the Pats let Brown go then Gaine should be talking to his agent immediately. Tampering be damned. Brown is from Texas and doesn't have a sick kid so there shouldn't be the same issues bringing Brown to Kirby that there was with Solder.

I did too and though they both had bad years, I'm sure they were probably better than Davenport/Kelemente

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/ty-nsekhe/7636

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/chris-hubbard/8051

I mean, how hard is it to improve on Davenport?
https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/julien-davenport/11885

True

I give Rankin the benefit of the doubt as he was a rookie coming off of foot surgery. I expect him to be alot better next yr.

You've pointed out what I expected before the season started, the backup FA signing plan was a failure. Hopefully Trent Brown is signed in FA and a couple of OL are drafted high. If this happens and Rankin comes around they can have a Colts type turnaround on the OL. Then we will get a chance to see Watson really grow as a QB.

Its very impressive how you are able to completely ignore pretty much everything I said yet still make such a long reply to it. First I'm assuming you are basing the "might be worse than nothing" on your extensive experience in A: coaching professional football or B: assisting people in mentally recovering from injuries. I'm assuming this experience is also where you get 3 games of 3 quarters as being typical.

This idea that "BoB doesn't think it is his job to help the team win games" is one of the stupidest things I have read on this board and that's saying something. Do you honestly think he doesn't care if the team wins or not? Seriously I figured even the most hardcore of haters at least thought he wanted to win games even if they disagreed on how he went about doing it. Guess I underestimated how blind hate can be.

Yeah players get injuried, it happens, but you made it sound like they didn't play Watson at all and they did. Maybe they didn't play him enough, of course if they had played him and he had gotten injuried people on here would be yelling of how could BoB be so stupid to play him that much in the pre-season. There really is no winning with some of you.

You say I don't know anymore about football than BoB, and considering his years in football I actually could take that as a complement, but you clearly don't understand psychology and dealing with fear otherwise you would know that it's not something you can coach away. It has to be overcome by the person dealing with it and no throwing somebody into the deep part of the water is actually not a good way to teach them how to swim.
Reading comprehension is your friend. My post directly addressed almost everything in your post except the part about your fear of heights. OK - DW4 is probably stronger than you physically, mentally, and definitely emotionally. And he has recovered from an ACL before.

I get my information from seeing hundreds of players return from injuries. Some come out like a house on fire from the first snap. Some are tentative all year. But about 3 games is typical, you don't need a degree in sports injuries to see that. And as it turns out, 3 games was about right for Watson. But it doesn't matter if it is exactly 3 games. He needed more reps, and BOB screwed the pooch.

As for the throwing him in the deep end - he played him full time once the regular season started. I guess you think that was wrong too. And no, I wouldn't complain if BOB tried to have the team prepared to play in the regular season, even if an unfortunate injury occurred. Even steelb agrees with that.

That BOB doesn't think it is his job to win games is a QUOTE from him! "Why didn't you call a timeout (to help your team win the Patriots game)?" "THAT'S NOT MY JOB." I wouldn't have believed it myself, but he said it. So if you have a problem with that, take it up with him not me.

I don't have any hate for BOB, just disappointment that he's not that good and that he shows no improvement 5 years in. The best games under him have been with QBs who don't know his system yet. Keenum came in and had a couple of good games early. Even Mallett had a good game, Weeden had a couple. Watson was very dynamic in 2017. I hoped BOB had learned how to use Watson's skill set. Nope He just hadn't coached him up yet. This year very few moving pockets or rollouts - lots of "drop straight back behind a bad OL and let the pass rush collapse in on your fixed position". He wants to turn Watson into Tom Savage.

Yeah, BOB probably knows thousands more details about football than we do. But he doesn't seem able to grasp the big picture as well as the average fan.

Reading comprehension is your friend. My post directly addressed almost everything in your post except the part about your fear of heights. OK - DW4 is probably stronger than you physically, mentally, and definitely emotionally. And he has recovered from an ACL before.

I get my information from seeing hundreds of players return from injuries. Some come out like a house on fire from the first snap. Some are tentative all year. But about 3 games is typical, you don't need a degree in sports injuries to see that. And as it turns out, 3 games was about right for Watson. But it doesn't matter if it is exactly 3 games. He needed more reps, and BOB screwed the pooch.

As for the throwing him in the deep end - he played him full time once the regular season started. I guess you think that was wrong too. And no, I wouldn't complain if BOB tried to have the team prepared to play in the regular season, even if an unfortunate injury occurred. Even steelb agrees with that.

That BOB doesn't think it is his job to win games is a QUOTE from him! "Why didn't you call a timeout (to help your team win the Patriots game)?" "THAT'S NOT MY JOB." I wouldn't have believed it myself, but he said it. So if you have a problem with that, take it up with him not me.

I don't have any hate for BOB, just disappointment that he's not that good and that he shows no improvement 5 years in. The best games under him have been with QBs who don't know his system yet. Keenum came in and had a couple of good games early. Even Mallett had a good game, Weeden had a couple. Watson was very dynamic in 2017. I hoped BOB had learned how to use Watson's skill set. Nope He just hadn't coached him up yet. This year very few moving pockets or rollouts - lots of "drop straight back behind a bad OL and let the pass rush collapse in on your fixed position". He wants to turn Watson into Tom Savage.

Yeah, BOB probably knows thousands more details about football than we do. But he doesn't seem able to grasp the big picture as well as the average fan.

Yeah if you are going to go with personal insults then clearly you aren't worth talking too. And no I didn't bother to read anything past that.

Back