Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Anthony Weaver, Houston Texans DC

Here is my issue, why would any position coach on the defensive staff get promoted when all areas contributed to on of the worse in the nfl? Yds,ppg, yds per play, sacks,pressures, and qb hits were at the bottom of the nfl. If anything, the entire staff on the defensive side should've been fired.

I was thinking the same thing. Then I realized our defense was pretty bad when Vrabel was our DC... look at him now.

It appears Weaver is getting good publicity from guys like Rex Ryan, who has experience coaching defenses. He seems to be on a path where all he needs to do is keep his nose clean.

I was thinking the same thing. Then I realized our defense was pretty bad when Vrabel was our DC... look at him now.

It appears Weaver is getting good publicity from guys like Rex Ryan, who has experience coaching defenses. He seems to be on a path where all he needs to do is keep his nose clean.

there is a difference in what makes a great coordinator and a quality head coach, usually being pure leadership, organization, and administration. Being able to scheme one side of the ball is nice but it is secondary to those other things as a head coach.

what exactly are ya'll basing him being the best defender on the team on?

Zach Cunningham PFF Player grades since entering the league:

2017 - 66.6
2018 - 65.6
2019 - 69.0

Benardrick McKinney PFF Player grades since entering the league:

2015 - 76.5
2016 - 73.0
2017 - 69.0
2018 - 81.3
2019 - 66.4

By those grades, Cunningham's best year was McKinney's 2nd worst year.

I like Zach...I actually do think he's above average..but it's razor thin. Yeah, he's our best cover LB and his PFF grade is like 3 pts better than Mckinney's this year...but that doesn't say a whole lot considering our run defense was still largely trash (that goes on him & Mckinney) and he's barely better in coverage. You would think that our coverage LB would make the most plays while in coverage of all our LB core, but nope..that would be Mercy. Yeah, he made a ton of tackles this year, 2nd in the league amongst LBs...but that doesn't say alot..Morlon Greenwood used to make a ton of tackles too & he was...... not very good.

I see the same things from Cunningham that i saw from him in college; When he can get there he's bringing you down...but the illusion most people fall victim to when watching him is his long arms can usually get him within arms reach of many more tackles. but he always seems to be just a step behind or the runner is just outside of his grasp. He also doesn't make a ton of plays for a guy that's in the mix as much as he is either.

I don't like PFF, never have.. paralysis by analysis.

They can throw Rex's name around all they want. I mean what do you expect Rex to say? "I can't believe they gave Weaver a shot? He'll never know how to run a great scheme." Rex coached Weaver in Baltimore when they had Ray Lewis and a lot of other studs. Weaver benefitted from being on that roster and had a good season which allowed him to fleece the Texans for a huge over inflated contract. Him and Rex have a history together. They're player/coach friends. Rex is saying what anyone would expect Rex to say, and it isn't a surprise that Weaver is running a similar style defense since that was the defense he played his best football in.

They have their moments, and they're good for spotting 'trends', but it comes at the cost of their proprietary grading system that finds fault at times with the wrong player...because they often don't grasp what the actual scheme was.
As well as finding eliteness by narrow definition................bias in human judgement is an indelible factor in their evaluations.

For anyone interested, a good, detailed thought-provoking article re. systems that TRY to evaluate player performance;

nflWAR: A Reproducible Method for Offensive Player Evaluation in Football (Extended Edition) Ronald Yurko, Samuel Ventura, and Maksim Horowitz Department of Statistics & Data Science, Carnegie Mellon University July 13, 2018

1.2.3 Player Evaluation with Proprietary Data or Human Judgment Outside of the public sphere, there have been irreproducible attempts at within-position statistical comparisons of NFL players. Pro Football Focus assigns grades to every player in each play, but this approach is solely based on human judgment and proprietary to PFF (Eager et al., 2017). ESPN’s total quarterback rating (“QBR”) accounts for the situational contexts a QB faces throughout a game (Katz and Burke, 2017; Oliver, 2011). ESPN uses the following approach when computing QBR: First, they determine the degree of success or failure for each play. Second, they divide credit for each play amongst all players involved. Third, additional adjustments are made for plays of very little consequence to the game outcome. This approach has several important advantages. In the first step, the EPA is used to assign an objective value to each play. Another advantage is that some attempt is made to divide credit for a play’s success or failure amongst the players involved. In the approach for NFL player evaluation we propose in this paper, we loosely follow these same two steps. ESPN’s QBR has some disadvantages, however. First and most importantly, Total QBR is not directly reproducible, since it relies on human judgment when evaluating plays. “The details of every play (air yards, drops, pressures, etc.) are charted by a team of trained analysts in the ESPN Stats & Information Group. Every play of every game is tracked by at least two different analysts to provide the most accurate representation of how each play occurred” (Katz and Burke, 2017). Additionally, while QBR down-weights plays in low-leverage situations, the approach for doing so is not clearly described and appears to be ad hoc. Finally, QBR is limited only to the QB position. The only public approach for evaluating players at all positions according to common scale is Pro Football Reference’s “approximate value” (AV) statistic (Drinen, 2013). Using a combination of objective and subjective analysis, AV attempts to assign a single numerical value to a player’s performance in any season since 1950, regardless of the player’s position. AV has some subjective components, such as whether or not a lineman was named to the NFL’s “all-pro” team, and whether a running back reaches the arbitrary threshold of 200 carries. Additionally, since AV 5 uses linear combinations of end-of-season box score statistics to evaluate players, it does not take into account game situation, opponent, or many other contextual factors that may play a role in the accumulation of box score statistics over the course of a season. Finally, although the basis of many AV calculations involves points scored and allowed, AV is not interpretable in terms of game outcomes.

I haven't read the previous 4 pages worth of posts so if someone has linked anything please forgive...

Do we actually know anything about what Weaver wants to do? What are his core beliefs in fielding a defense? What will he do different then Romeo? Does he plan on fielding a more aggressive unit? Is he committed to a 3-4 exclusively?

Is he running a traditional 2 gap "double bubble" 3-4 defense or a wade Phillips style attacking 3-4?

My assumptions are:

He was a 3-4 d lineman with a 3-4 mentor and he will stay true to that. I feel like he's a bit more of a tactician especially with technique when you look at his d-linemen. The guys we played after watt and reader this year were not talented but played above their skill. I know it wasn't stellar but look at the investment made by the team. Lots of his guys were undrafted fa's. I feel like we got more out of them then expected.

Thoughts?

I haven't read the previous 4 pages worth of posts so if someone has linked anything please forgive...

Do we actually know anything about what Weaver wants to do? What are his core beliefs in fielding a defense? What will he do different then Romeo? Does he plan on fielding a more aggressive unit? Is he committed to a 3-4 exclusively?

Is he running a traditional 2 gap "double bubble" 3-4 defense or a wade Phillips style attacking 3-4?

My assumptions are:

He was a 3-4 d lineman with a 3-4 mentor and he will stay true to that. I feel like he's a bit more of a tactician especially with technique when you look at his d-linemen. The guys we played after watt and reader this year were not talented but played above their skill. I know it wasn't stellar but look at the investment made by the team. Lots of his guys were undrafted fa's. I feel like we got more out of them then expected.

Thoughts?

I think it's believed that he will run a Rex Ryan type defense, aggressive

Last edited:

My assumptions are:

Thoughts?

main-qimg-840e8acf317d1306188ba7a8723458cd

Features a great story re. Weaver vs Orlando Brown.

In Anthony Weaver, Texans getting toughness, smarts

Anthony Weaver didn’t back down an inch against one of the most intimidating blockers in NFL history on the Baltimore Ravens’ practice field.

When the newly promoted Texans defensive coordinator was playing defensive end for the Ravens, Weaver was involved in a huge practice brawl with the late offensive tackle Orlando “Zeus” Brown.

At 6-7, 370 pounds, Brown, the father of current Ravens Pro Bowl offensive tackle Orlando Brown Jr., was one of the biggest and roughest players in the league. Weaver stood his ground, though.

“Orlando was a big old rascal, a grizzly bear, and he hadn’t lost a fight against the defensive line all the years that I was there,” said Rex Ryan, the former New York Jets and Buffalo Bills head coach who was Weaver’s defensive line coach and defensive coordinator in Baltimore. “Zeus was undefeated and mean, too. So, a fight breaks out and all the boys jump on him. Anthony was the first one on him. Zeus took him down and all the guys jumped in.

“Anthony got the final blows in. Later, Orlando came to my office. He filled the entire doorway, he was so big. I’m like, ‘Uh oh,’ but he said: ‘OK, you got an understanding with me. I won’t mess with your guys anymore.’”

Weaver will need that kind of toughness in his new leadership position, but he’ll also need to expand his big-picture approach to effectively run an entire defense.

THE REST OF THE STORY

My assumptions are:

Thoughts?
What changes with Anthony Weaver replacing Romeo Crennel?
First, let me say that I am very happy for Weaver, who's been a rising star in the coaching business since he jumped in less than a decade ago. He's done solid work coaching defensive lines in Buffalo, Cleveland, and Houston, and is widely regarded as one of the bright young minds in the coaching business. He is an unabashed lover of all things Rex Ryan (his position coach in Baltimore early in his career), so maybe we will see some Rex-ian changes with this Texans defense. That might necessitate looking at different styles of personnel, particularly along the defensive line, where maybe they skew away from the big 300 pounders Crennel liked, and go with more athletic types. Bottom line, I think this will be a good thing for the Texans. LINK

The morphing of the player personnel are likely to occur to accomplish a change from the anemic pass rush we have seen.

I am actually excited to see what DC Weaver and LB Coach Rumph can do working together. Seems like a good match to me.

Angelo Blackson and Brandon Dunn were "developed" by Weaver??? LMAO ... umm okay so where were they when this team needed them the most?

man I hate it when you get force fed bullshit ass information as if its some kind of feather in a hat. Even with Reader - how instrumental has Weaver really been? Let me guess he "developed" JJ Watt and Clowney too right?

Funny how good coaches seem when they have the relevant talent to "coach them up", but only here does the media have to invent reasons why the fans should be "happy" about the hire.

Sisyphus the Texan Fan is at it again!!

tenor.gif
Dunn and Blackson play behind Reader and Watt..hard to get many snaps.

My assumptions are:

Thoughts?
Whom we go after in free agency and the draft will be a huge indicator in my opinion.

What changes with Anthony Weaver replacing Romeo Crennel?
First, let me say that I am very happy for Weaver, who's been a rising star in the coaching business since he jumped in less than a decade ago. He's done solid work coaching defensive lines in Buffalo, Cleveland, and Houston, and is widely regarded as one of the bright young minds in the coaching business. He is an unabashed lover of all things Rex Ryan (his position coach in Baltimore early in his career), so maybe we will see some Rex-ian changes with this Texans defense. That might necessitate looking at different styles of personnel, particularly along the defensive line, where maybe they skew away from the big 300 pounders Crennel liked, and go with more athletic types. Bottom line, I think this will be a good thing for the Texans. LINK

The morphing of the player personnel are likely to occur to accomplish a change from the anemic pass rush we have seen.
New name for defense? The Wrecking Rexans!

I hope he does. Gonna need more pass rushers.

I could be wrong, but to me, Rex was really good at disguising blitzes and being selectively aggressive. This allows you to not "need" expensive pass rushers. Instead, the corners will need to be great, as they will be asked to single cover a lot.

I hope the new scheme will help Watt, Mercilus and Martin be in better situations to apply pressure. Where we'll need help is having corners able to cover their guys for three seconds.

I could be wrong, but to me, Rex was really good at disguising blitzes and being selectively aggressive. This allows you to not "need" expensive pass rushers. Instead, the corners will need to be great, as they will be asked to single cover a lot.

I hope the new scheme will help Watt, Mercilus and Martin be in better situations to apply pressure. Where we'll need help is having corners able to cover their guys for three seconds.

Still need a better pass rush on all those downs we aren't blitzing. Our 3 man rush this year was wretched. 4 man nickle/dime fronts weren't much better.

If there is not an influx of talent on this side of the ball it wont matter who the DC is. Scheme can only mask so much, you cant be deficient in 2/3 of the defensive units and expect to remain competitive. DL, CB, OLB .. all need to be addressed. The only strength we have on defense is the play of our ILB's and even that is sometimes sketchy. Need bonafide ballhawks and disruptors.

Weaver is just another out for OBrien just like Frank Bush was for Koobs.

If there is not an influx of talent on this side of the ball it wont matter who the DC is. Scheme can only mask so much, you cant be deficient in 2/3 of the defensive units and expect to remain competitive. DL, CB, OLB .. all need to be addressed. The only strength we have on defense is the play of our ILB's and even that is sometimes sketchy. Need bonafide ballhawks and disruptors.

Weaver is just another out for OBrien just like Frank Bush was for Koobs.

You dont consider Watt/Reader to be strengths?

How about the Safety tandem of Reid/Gipson? Although I do think if the right safety is there in the 2nd rd, (One that is capable of playing single high as well as nickle LB) BOB should pick him and be thankful. I'm talking about this era's Quin,

BTW, RS letting Quin go was the 3rd biggest mistke RS made during his tenure.

1. Not drafting a QB
2. Letting Brooks walk
3. Letting Quin walk for Old Man Reed
4. I dont blame RS for letting DB walk, that was on ownership.

The Texans are without a first-round pick and cap space that needs to be used on high-profile players like quarterback Deshaun Watson and left tackle Laremy Tunsil.

They don't have the flexibility to make a major move for a cornerback to improve their pass defense, or an edge rusher to help them pressure quarterbacks.

With the Texans' hands somewhat tied, how good does Anthony Weaver need to be as a first-year defensive coordinator?

We discussed that on the show this morning.

Seth had this to say:

"I think you could fix a lot of their issues with just one really good cornerback. That's what it comes down to in a lot of respects because at the very least, even if you don't have great pass rushers, then you can blitz when you've got good defensive backs. ...

"I think they can get back to being a mediocre defense with a few tweaks and a few changes and maybe some improved play by Gareon Conley and Lonnie Johnson. Lonnie Johnson's a tall task. Always remember the lesson of Kareem Jackson. Kareem Jackson looked like a flat out bust his rookie year. Then he came back and over the next few years, and especially with Wade Phillips as his defensive coordinator, he became a really, really good cornerback. ...

"They can't fix that defense with scheme alone because the scheme wasn't the issue. Romeo Crennel -- whatever your issues with him are -- he's had consistently good defenses with the Texans. It

The Texans are without a first-round pick and cap space that needs to be used on high-profile players like quarterback Deshaun Watson and left tackle Laremy Tunsil.

They don't have the flexibility to make a major move for a cornerback to improve their pass defense, or an edge rusher to help them pressure quarterbacks.

With the Texans' hands somewhat tied, how good does Anthony Weaver need to be as a first-year defensive coordinator?

We discussed that on the show this morning.

Seth had this to say:

"I think you could fix a lot of their issues with just one really good cornerback. That's what it comes down to in a lot of respects because at the very least, even if you don't have great pass rushers, then you can blitz when you've got good defensive backs. ...

"I think they can get back to being a mediocre defense with a few tweaks and a few changes and maybe some improved play by Gareon Conley and Lonnie Johnson. Lonnie Johnson's a tall task. Always remember the lesson of Kareem Jackson. Kareem Jackson looked like a flat out bust his rookie year. Then he came back and over the next few years, and especially with Wade Phillips as his defensive coordinator, he became a really, really good cornerback. ...

"They can't fix that defense with scheme alone because the scheme wasn't the issue. Romeo Crennel -- whatever your issues with him are -- he's had consistently good defenses with the Texans. It

This is why I would let Reader walk and sign one of B. Jones/K. Fuller. Then draft or sign another cheaper FA to pair with Dunn to replace reader. Hopefully if they do this they can still find another CB/S that can play. I dont consider edge to be as big of a need as CB/S since Mercilus was re-signed and I believe Martin will get much better with time in an NFL training program/experience.

However it appears BOB disagrees with me since they've been interviewing all of the edges at the combine.

Well FA is pretty well wrapped up and this D has lost a ton of talent over the last 2 years, despite it having already been proven too fragile in the playoffs both those seasons.

Weaver has been sent up the creek sans paddle by his GM, who has invested heavily in the offence, which seemed to have fewer talent holes going into the offseason.

We’ll have to have an amazing draft if we are to see an improvement in this unit. The OB hating side of me sees the ready made excuse if his unproven DC lets him down, though.

Well FA is pretty well wrapped up and this D has lost a ton of talent over the last 2 years, despite it having already been proven too fragile in the playoffs both those seasons.

Weaver has been sent up the creek sans paddle by his GM, who has invested heavily in the offence, which seemed to have fewer talent holes going into the offseason.

We’ll have to have an amazing draft if we are to see an improvement in this unit. The OB hating side of me sees the ready made excuse if his unproven DC lets him down, though.
It's tough to have an "amazing draft" when there's such limited ammo (no first round pick).

It's tough to have an "amazing draft" when there's such limited ammo (no first round pick).

I bet BOB signs Logan Ryan and Snacks Harrison. If you add those 2 guys to the defense and add a couple of more guys that can play in the 2nd rd then I bet the defense will look alot better than it did last yr.

Of course it's never easy to feel good about a rookie DC, same with a rookie OC. Seems as though BOB/McNair's went cheap on the new coaching staff. But hey, maybe a new energy on both sides of the ball is what the team needed. What they were doing before clearly wasn't working.

I bet BOB signs Logan Ryan and Snacks Harrison. If you add those 2 guys to the defense and add a couple of more guys that can play in the 2nd rd then I bet the defense will look alot better than it did last yr.

Of course it's never easy to feel good about a rookie DC, same with a rookie OC. Seems as though BOB/McNair's went cheap on the new coaching staff. But hey, maybe a new energy on both sides of the ball is what the team needed. What they were doing before clearly wasn't working.
I dunno are we actually sure Weaver got the DC promotion because checking the Texans' website the other day I discovered that he's still listed as the Defensive Line coach ?

I dunno are we actually sure Weaver got the DC promotion because checking the Texans' website the other day I discovered that he's still listed as the Defensive Line coach ?

That website doesn't update near as often as one might expect

Anthony Weaver on Rex Ryan influence on his coaching style: 'Rex was a huge influence on my career as a player and a coach'
— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) May 13, 2020

Anthony Weaver on draft picks Ross Blacklock, Jonathan Greenard, John Reid: ‘Those are guys who have played significant snaps. They have the three qualities we’re looking for: They’re smart, tough and dependable.’

Texans defensive coordinator Anthony Weaver: ‘I envision our defense being representative of our city’

Anthony Weaver on Ross Blacklock: ‘Ross, he was a guy from a measurable standpoint had everything you’re looking for on. On tape, was twitchy, instinctive.’

Anthony Weaver on Jonathan Greenard: ‘Can rush outside, rush inside, drop into coverage.’

Anthony Weaver on safety group: ’We’re extremely excited about Eric Murray and Michael Thomas, proven veterans, phenomenal human beings. I think Justin Reid is a heck of a football player. When he comes back 100 percent healthy, I could see him making a huge jump as well’

Anthony Weaver on secondary: ’We’ve got to help them up front, got to figure out a way to get that ball out quicker and not just leave them out there on an island.’

Anthony Weaver on defensive instincts: ‘I don’t want them to be robots. I don’t want to handcuff them.’

Anthony Weaver has Muhammad Ali photos on his wall: ‘My dad made me watch all those fights. All the things he stood for, he’s a tremendous example. I’ve got a lot of photos, Joe Montana, Four Horsemen ..’

Anthony Weaver on playoff collapse against Chiefs: ‘That was obviously a tough day. We can’t ride those waves. We have to stay consistent throughout and stop any hemorrhaging. I can help be a reflection of that.’

Anthony Weaver thanks McNair family, Bill O’Brien for promotion, credits Rex Ryan as a guiding influence, his high school coach in New York, ‘a second father figure to me’ and Romeo Crennel ‘Tremendous defensive mind, incredible human being’

Anthony Weaver on being anew DC, he met with Urban Meyer, another coaching influence. He told me, ’You’re out of the suggestion business and you’re in the decision business’ Those words carried a lot of weight. I have the final say.’

Anthony Weaver on opening against Chiefs, Ravens: "It’s absolutely exciting to showcase our defense and show what we’re going to be. Our guys will be ready to go. They’ll be champing at the bit.’

Anthony Weaver on cerebral approach to football: ’You’ve got to love the chess match. That’s part of the beauty in schematics’

Anthony Weaver still coaching defensive line, gets help from Matt O’Donnell, Akeem Dent, Romeo Crennel. ‘I have a bunch of help.’

Anthony Weaver on Michael Jordan: ‘I have watched the Last Dance. Growing up, you heard all these stories. To hear them from the man himself, truly amazing’

Anthony Weaver: ‘I want my guys to feel like Superman on the field. We’re not going to boast or brag’

Anthony Weaver on J.J. Watt: J.J. playing a full 16-plus is critical for our defense. He draws an incredible amount of attention from an offense. Him being out there is huge for a defense.’

Anthony Weaver on Lonnie Johnson Jr @Lonnie30johnson ‘I think he’s a corner.’

Anthony Weaver on Lonnie Johnson: ‘I expect him to make a jump here in Year 2’ @Lonnie30johnson

On 3rd down defense: "I think schematically we will be more exotic. So that offenses can’t pinpoint where players will be."

"Schematically it’s created a level of excitement amongst the group"

I like everything I see and hear with him and always liked his DL coaching, here is to hope with mentors Rex and Romeo he comes up with some exotic schemes and uses his personnel well. I did not know Justin had injuries in both shoulders, that should make a big difference in pass defense and how he can be used. He was very clear on Lonnie, a CB, rookies struggle, and he seemed to expect him to be better. I did not like what his answer on the defense being like Houston, Houston does not scare anybody. I want our defense known for inflicting chaos, pain, turnovers, and game changing/saving plays.

I like everything I see and hear with him and always liked his DL coaching, here is to hope with mentors Rex and Romeo he comes up with some exotic schemes and uses his personnel well. I did not know Justin had injuries in both shoulders, that should make a big difference in pass defense and how he can be used. He was very clear on Lonnie, a CB, rookies struggle, and he seemed to expect him to be better. I did not like what his answer on the defense being like Houston, Houston does not scare anybody. I want our defense known for inflicting chaos, pain, turnovers, and game changing/saving plays.

Weaver in the podcast said Reid "had 2 shoulder injuries." It was somewhat misleading as what he meant is that he had 2 significant injuries to the same right shoulder. He sustained a dislocation in week 1..........then redislocated the same shoulder when he also sustained a concussion in week 11. He essentially played the entire season with a brace. As you can see from this, a shoulder brace can protect the shoulder from dislocating only to a certain extent..........it does not ensure that another dislocation cannot occur while wearing it.

Maybe someone can do the research on the success rate of rookie DCs? I'm sure it's fine.

this kind of made me cringe a little bit - https://www.houstontexans.com/news/transcripts-anthony-weaver

One of the criticisms of the defense in the past has been a lack of aggressiveness. Do you think that is a valid assessment, and do you see yourself being more aggressive?
"I don't know if that's necessarily a fair assessment, but I envision our defense being representative of our city. We want a defense that plays with passion, just like the city of Houston. I've been around this place a long time now, we're passionate about our sports. You've got to be Texans tough. We know everybody in the city of Houston, they're tough. You can't be from Texas and not be tough. And then you've got to be resilient. In the time that I've been here, we're been through a lot of things, hurricanes and now we're dealing with this COVID-19. People always come together in adverse times, they stick together, they get through it and they respond accordingly, and I plan on our defense being the exact same way. Whether or not we're going to be aggressive, we're going to do whatever it takes to win, but I'd like our defense to be representative of our city."

Back