Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Anthony Weaver, Houston Texans DC

I don't know why there's so many people trashing this move.. when I first clicked on the home page all I saw was "Anthony weaver". The first thought that popped in my head was "great, he jumped ship/someone poached him off our team". He's been the best and year in and year out, the most consistent coach on our team. I'm excited to see how he'll do at his new position, but I've been high on Weaver for awhile though.

Remember just a few years ago Mike Vrabel was our Linebackers coach and he took his team to the AFC Championship game. If you want to go back even further, Lil' Shanny was our Wide Receivers coach and he might win the whole damn thing. I'd like to keep our good young coaches.

How about telling me why he was a good choice?

He had no hype around the league for him. He was a total bust on the Houston Texans as a player so he already has a bad history here there.

The Texans firing their DC as a scapegoat and then promoting some guy from within doesn't make a lick of sense at all. In most cases a team goes out and interviews a lot of guys to fund the right fit where they're looking for someone to make a huge turnaround like Wade Phillips did or like the Chiefs who went out and got a guy with a great reputation who won SB's with the Giants and created historic Defenses before. The Texans don't do ****, but promote some guy on what they're calling a "failed" defense that needed its leader fired so they bring up one of his staff members.

Could it work? Yeah, anyone could possibly work. There is not one reason to get excited about this hire though. Not one.

Spags didn't have a "great reputation" all over the league...he had A reputation....that's different. Since those early Giants years as a DC, he hadn't had any success as a defensive coordinator..After his fail in STL, he basically coached 1 year & then was run out for 1 reason or another. until just this year. Even this year in KC his defense is barely above mediocore.

If that dude was brought here after say his 2nd run with the NYG where they were dreadful on defense there'd be outrage here & you know it.

And I remember a lot of pressure put on the QB's game after game. Not.

RAC was still calling the plays, if we are going to blame OB as the OC for the offenses troubles then RAC should be blamed for the defenses troubles. Isn't that what people say about Watson, that it doesn't matter how good he is if the play called sucks? Well it doesn't matter how well coached the D-line is if the play called sucks.

And I remember a lot of pressure put on the QB's game after game. Not.

That tends to happen when your dumbass G.M. unnecessarily trades away one of your horses for a 3rd round pick and the other horse tears his peck.. you still need talent to rush the passer.

Look at the job he's down with late round players.. Hell D.J. Reader is amongst the elite at NT. If Charles Omenihu stays healthy I think he can develop into a elite player for us.. that guy has first round talent.

If he gets the guys to tackle better, not play 8 yards off the line of scrimmage when they only need 3 yards for a 1st down, and blitzes more then it's a welcome change.

I remain skeptical of any hire of O'Brien's. Actually surprised O'Brien isn't taking over DC duties to add to his 700 job titles that he already does poorly.

Best case, get a Rex Ryan style defense. Worst case, they suck given the lack of talent and maybe we get a new head coach and GM.

Another great move by the GM of Bill O'Brien.

How much longer does he get to wreck this team?

Why wasn't there a good amount of candidates to interview? Anthony Weaver?

Might as well have stayed with Crennell. He didn't do a bad job with the defense last season any way when you look at the personnel they had and the new additions.

You guys let Crennell become "the scapegoat" when the problem is OB. The Texans defense caved, because the entire team caved.

Cal McNair you are completely worthless.
The only like you will get from me

Bill's exhaustive search was more about him actually finding out where the defensive coaches work and just choosing one at random to be DC. It took him two hours to find out where they're located and thus explains the exhaustive search.

@riversmccown: Dang, this was a thorough search that exhausted all possible candidates in the two hours since Romeo was out. https://t.co/MvXPQH5X0M

So read the damn tea leaves @riversmccown and stop being facetious.. it's obvious that it was already decided that Weaver was going to be the next D.C. a long time ago. Jesus, R.C. is going to be 73 years old and we just went through this a few seasons ago. If Crennel wasn't leaving for poor performance, he would already be stepping aside because of his age, and I'm sure a succession plan was already in place.. hence why it didn't take longer than 2 hours to make the announcement.

Last edited:
This Weaver situation is like so many others. Posters saying he is great and has done well and others saying "stupid move" and neither side says exactly how they made that decision. Negative seem to blab on about "OBrien, CAL blah blah" but don't say why Weaver bad choice. If HC does it hire\fire\promote it has to be bad.I am not an OBrien fan but can see past my dislike.

Same things were being said when Vrabel was promoted to DC

So Weaver is supposed to scheme things up to cover for lack of talent?

ROFL

Maybe Weaver will be good someday but as of today he isn't crennel. Why not just have him been defensive assistant until crennel retires?

He is the defensive assistant. OB is the new defensive coordinator.

This hire is like all of the Offensive coordinators he's brought in. People given new positions in name only, but OBs gonna be the one actually calling the shots.

:d:

Angelo Blackson and Brandon Dunn were "developed" by Weaver??? LMAO ... umm okay so where were they when this team needed them the most?

man I hate it when you get force fed bullshit ass information as if its some kind of feather in a hat. Even with Reader - how instrumental has Weaver really been? Let me guess he "developed" JJ Watt and Clowney too right?

Funny how good coaches seem when they have the relevant talent to "coach them up", but only here does the media have to invent reasons why the fans should be "happy" about the hire.

Sisyphus the Texan Fan is at it again!!

tenor.gif

He is the defensive assistant. OB is the new defensive coordinator.

This hire is like all of the Offensive coordinators he's brought in. People given new positions in name only, but OBs gonna be the one actually calling the shots.

:d:

If that happens I can't really blame or I should say direct my disdain towards Bill O'Brien anymore, because that'll just mean he's a nepoleonesque lunatic who doesn't know better and the man who has the power to stop him from hijacking every title/control in football operations isn't doing crap about it..

No my disdain will be directed solely at ownership and to be honest it's already starting to shift there. Someone needs to be the adult in the room and grab the damn reigns of this team. BIll doesn't nor has ever had the pelts, accomplishments, or success to have been given that amount of control, titles, and power. Someone needs to take back power.

Scary thing is.. blowing a 24-0 lead in such a horrific fashion where you end up giving up a 50 burger and lose by 20+ points wasn't a rock bottom for him. Jesus, I'd hate to see what is.

Last edited:
Not sure if Weaver will be better at DC than he was as DL coach. We never seemed to get much pressure on the opposing QB unless an all out blitz was called. Is this because of the DL coach or the DC scheme? Guess we will find out in the fall.
Hopefully they get some qualified help on the defense in the draft or free agents.

RAC was still calling the plays, if we are going to blame OB as the OC for the offenses troubles then RAC should be blamed for the defenses troubles. Isn't that what people say about Watson, that it doesn't matter how good he is if the play called sucks? Well it doesn't matter how well coached the D-line is if the play called sucks.
Agree 100%

Not sure if Weaver will be better at DC than he was as DL coach. We never seemed to get much pressure on the opposing QB unless an all out blitz was called. Is this because of the DL coach or the DC scheme? Guess we will find out in the fall.
Hopefully they get some qualified help on the defense in the draft or free agents.
I think defensive coordinator calls the plays and the coaches are to ensure players perform those plays. I expect at least one defensive player in free agency and two in draft.

And again Rivers shown that he has no clue about anything and is just out to paint everything in an anti-OB light. RAC has had pretty much full control of the defense since he got there, in fact one of the very few things that people on this board agree on is that OB doesn't even look at the defense side. Also RAC was another product of the NE system, was 72 years old and had been coaching in the NFL for 39 seasons straight. You're saying a guy like that wasn't willing to stand up to someone? While we're at it I didn't know Rivers knew Weaver well enough to say that he won't stand up to OB, seems like a pretty damming statement to make so I would assume he has something to back it up or knows the guy personally well enough o say that.
Just an FYI, Rivers was fired from THE ATHLETIC last January specifically because he was incorrigibly dogmatic, could not get his facts straight, made "facts" up, and always quoted people that would not know the situations he was writing about to begin with or would be "anonymous." He has always had a hair up his netherlands for O'Brien and has trolled him for years.

3rd DC under OB in what will be 7 years.

I have no idea what Weaver will bring to the table, but I'm more worried he won't have much to work with. A lot of pieces needed on that side of the ball. And Aaron Wilson says the Texans aren't close to extending Reader, and I'm hearing that Roby may not be retained either.

Good luck with that Mr. Weaver.

Spags didn't have a "great reputation" all over the league...he had A reputation....that's different. Since those early Giants years as a DC, he hadn't had any success as a defensive coordinator..After his fail in STL, he basically coached 1 year & then was run out for 1 reason or another. until just this year. Even this year in KC his defense is barely above mediocore.

If that dude was brought here after say his 2nd run with the NYG where they were dreadful on defense there'd be outrage here & you know it.

Sorry, but that's not accurate. That's just your version of how you saw him. You may not have been impressed with what the did in his years in NY, but I sure as hell was. I'd also hardly call one year of HCing as some sort of monumental failure when all he got was one year. Sounds like an awful situation he ended up in. His resume is very good and what he did with some of the teams he had speaks for itself. He was a very good acquisition to try and accomplish what they needed to do. No one expected the Chiefs to get way better over night in one season. It was possible, but not likely. They needed a good improvement, and by week 10 it arrived. That team got a lot better this season in the 2nd half on defense and we've seen it in the playoffs. They shut down Watson, and shut down Henry in back to back games. They're improving whether you want to believe it or not.

This is true. Happens on the internet all the time.

Last edited:
Sorry, but that's not accurate. That's just your version of how you saw him. You may not have been impressed with what the did in his years in NY, but I sure as hell was. I'd also hardly call one year of HCing as some sort of monumental failure when all he got was one year. Sounds like an awful situation he ended up in. His resume is very good and what he did with some of the teams he had speaks for itself. He was a very good acquisition to try and accomplish what they needed to do. No one expected the Chiefs to get way better over night in one season. It was possible, but not likely. They needed a good improvement, and by week 10 it arrived. That team got a lot better this season in the 2nd half on defense and we've seen it in the playoffs. They shut down Watson, and shut down Henry in back to back games. They're improving whether you want to believe it or not.

1, he got like 3-4 years in STL before the 1 year interim tag in NYG dude.

2. the stats of his defenses don’t really reflect that he’s some good d-coordinator.

The 1 good run he had was his 1st run in NYG.

Here is my issue, why would any position coach on the defensive staff get promoted when all areas contributed to on of the worse in the nfl? Yds,ppg, yds per play, sacks,pressures, and qb hits were at the bottom of the nfl. If anything, the entire staff on the defensive side should've been fired.

No idea how Weaver will be as a DC.Im luke warm about it. I like the potential of the hire though.

But this doesn't seem like the type of move at DC a head coach would make if its win or get out of town.

I think we all know its not "win or get out of town" …. Its going to take 4-12 or worse to get OB gone and then that might not be enough. They'll blame it on injuries or something instead of believing OB when he says he needs to coach better.

OB must have compromising pictures of multiple McNairs or something ….

I remain skeptical of any hire of O'Brien's.
OK. But, do you think there's a long line of defensive coaches lining up to work for O'Brien? The Texans were going to hire either a first time coordinator or a retread. I'll take the 1st time coordinator and hop for beginner's luck.

Weaver can't be as bad a coach as was a player for the Texans. Has to be top 5 Texan FA bust, right?

Why do you assume he's taking shot's at anyone?

He made a simple true statement that attacked no one
There are a couple of posters here that take it as a personal attack when anyone criticizes O’Brien. Any post that doesn’t praise him gets referred to as a “shot” towards them. It’s not that we’re sick and tired of being thoroughly embarrassed in the playoffs due to his ineptitude, no. We’re just obviously taking “pot shots” at them. The 6, going on 7 years of mediocrity have nothing to do with anything in their warped, frail little minds.

Uh oh better not let OB hear that Weaver could be a head coach in a couple years. He might fire him before he signs a contract
Yeah, I guess now, O'Brien's fired the guy who hired the guy O'Brien fired after 9 months as GM. Did O'Brien study politics under Stalin?

Ten Things to Know on Texans Defensive Coordinator Anthony Weaver
Patrick D. Starr
2 hours ago

The Houston Texans will move Anthony Weaver as their new defensive coordinator for the 2020 season, which will mark the third different coordinator under Bill O'Brien since 2014. Weaver has been with the Texans since 2016 as the defensive line coach, and now he is set to run the defense this coming season.

Weaver has no previous experience as a defensive coordinator, but he will have Romeo Crennel inside the building to lean on throughout the season.

Here are ten things to know about the Texans' new defensive coordinator.

Ten Things To Know About Anthony Weaver

1. Born in Killeen, Texas, Weaver played his high school football at Saratoga Springs High School in New York. Played both football and basketball and received the National Football Foundation scholar-athlete award.
  2. Weaver is from Irish-Samoan decent. Both of his parents served in the Army. His father Ralph retired as a sergeant major.
  3. Weaver's parents drove to 44 of 47 college games at Notre Dame in a Chrysler Windstar minivan. The only games they missed were due to Weaver's grandmother passing away.
  4. Weaver played his college football at the University of Notre Dame and was the Notre Dame Team MVP in 2001. Was one of four captains in 2001. Started four straight seasons on the defensive line for the Irish.
  5. Was drafted in the second round out of Notre Dame by the Baltimore Ravens in 2002. He played seven seasons in the NFL and played four seasons with the Ravens before finishing up with the Houston Texans for the final three.
  6. He started his coaching career under Urban Meyer at the University of Florida as a defensive graduate assistant. Weaver followed Dan McCarney to North Texas as the linebacker coach for the Mean Green in 2011.
  7. His NFL coaching career, he has coached under Rex Ryan with the New York Jets, Doug Marrone with the Buffalo Bills, and Mike Pettine with the Cleveland Browns. Rex Ryan was Weaver's defensive line coach with the Ravens when he was drafted in 2002.
  8. As the defensive line coach for the Bills in 2013, Weaver's group had 47 of the team's 57 sacks. The Bills were the only team to have three players that season with double-digit sacks, and all of them were on the defensive line. Mario Williams (13.0), Kyle Williams (10.5), and Jerry Hughes (10.0) all worked with Weaver on the defensive line. Marcell Dareus had a career-best 7.5 sacks with the group also.
  9. After Mike Vrabel was promoted to defensive coordinator, Weaver took over coaching Jadeveon Clowney as his position coach in 2016. He helped Clowney notch his first every Pro Bowl selection with personal bests that year in tackles (52), sacks (6.), and tackles for loss (16) and quarterback hits (17).
  10. Weaver has been instrumental in helping develop D.J. Reader, Brandon Dunn, Angelo Blackson.
Thanks for this info, Doc.
Actually, this could end up being one of O'Brien's better moves
we shall see....

I think we all know its not "win or get out of town" …. Its going to take 4-12 or worse to get OB gone and then that might not be enough.

Texans history says it will take 2-14 and the next 1.1 in the draft

Hiring Weaver just adds more sand to OBriens hourglass. If an established DC were brought in OBrien would view him as a threat if things went South. Weaver is no threat hence he gets the gig. Whether or not he’s good at his job is incidental and he would make a fine scapegoat.

It just dawned on me that this is a 10 year “rebuild”. Crazy.

OK. But, do you think there's a long line of defensive coaches lining up to work for O'Brien? The Texans were going to hire either a first time coordinator or a retread. I'll take the 1st time coordinator and hop for beginner's luck.

Weaver can't be as bad a coach as was a player for the Texans. Has to be top 5 Texan FA bust, right?

And the Texans fired the in-house retread...for those paying attention.

Back