Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

An Ode to Bill O'Brien

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
My thoughts exactly.

Interesting part is that Bob McNair was still alive during that O'Brien/Smith power struggle, so he was part of the decision process.

For me, after two+ decades of closely following this franchise, it's clear that the entire McNair family was never really qualified to run an NFL team. They are obviously qualified to own one, but that's different than actually being involved with football operations and influencing those decisions with an apparent idealistic naivety.

An NFL franchise is a money machine. With revenue sharing, every team is guaranteed an annual profit. So ultimately, franchises are billionaires play toys. It's the billionaires with competitive streaks that want to win. Which helps explain why this team has never made it to a conference championship game while their three division opponents have all been there in the last decade.

I'm just hoping Cal/Jack are the proverbial blind squirrel finding a nut with Caserio. He really is the only hope this franchise has for a successful future right now.
Spot on

The reason the franchise is where it's at today is solely responsible of the McNair's.

Hopefully Cal found a blind nut squirrel moment with Caserio. It's the only hope we have as Texans fans. Sad isn't it.

Sadder that it's always been this way. Which is what I've been saying since 2010.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
This thread should not exist and should be locked. Casserly is the only other person to damage this franchise more.

We call Carr he who should not be mentioned or whatever the acronym is. Casserly and ob deserve the same. The both of them set this team back 5-10 years each. Neither deserve an ode. They deserve a wet wipe and a flush.

Some of us have been fans since or before the team was named. How long should we wait? How long should we root for a loser?.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Some of us have been fans since or before the team was named. How long should we wait? How long should we root for a loser?.
I heard something on the radio today. Golden era of Astros baseball or something like that. 5 division titles in six years. Or something like that.

I know they went on to win it all & have been in a few conference championship games... but the blurb didn't say anything about that.

Anyway, that 5 division titles in 6 years got me thinking. It wasn't that long ago the Texans could say something similar.

I remember when we were becoming Denver South. I was thinking I'd be happy with being a perennial playoff team.

But yeah, time to take the next step.

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
Hey folks, yeah I’m still alive - and happy I don’t care about this team anymore, thank God!

But I stumbled across this gem the other day, and I’m curious what y’all think.

Was he just trying to get fired?

As outlandish as it sounds, you have to wonder. If you actually wanted the team to fire you, instead of doing the noble thing and just quitting, what moves would you make?

Apologies if this has already been batted around. Y’all stay safe.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Hey folks, yeah I’m still alive - and happy I don’t care about this team anymore, thank God!

But I stumbled across this gem the other day, and I’m curious what y’all think.

Was he just trying to get fired?

As outlandish as it sounds, you have to wonder. If you actually wanted the team to fire you, instead of doing the noble thing and just quitting, what moves would you make?

Apologies if this has already been batted around. Y’all stay safe.
OB sucks so much he can’t even get himself fired. Is that what we are to believe?

Or is it that the McNairs are so incompetent they didn’t fire the guy trying to get fired?

Or is it that the McNairs said Rick Smith is leaving so let’s go ahead and bring in a GM that OB says he can work with like Caserio?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
OB sucks so much he can’t even get himself fired. Is that what we are to believe?

Or is it that the McNairs are so incompetent they didn’t fire the guy trying to get fired?

Or is it that the McNairs said Rick Smith is leaving so let’s go ahead and bring in a GM that OB says he can work with like Caserio?
C

But things didn't work out because the McNair's wouldn't pay the price (the Howard pick) to get Caserio on Kirby as quickly as possible and everything snowballed on them. The McNair's are paying the price for being cheap.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This is hilarious:

Twitter roasts former Texans coach Bill O'Brien after Texas A&M upsets Alabama 41-38

O’Brien, now the offensive coordinator for the Alabama Crimson Tide, would be returning at least within a 100-mile radius of the scene of the crime, albeit in the college ranks as the No. 1 team in the nation played the Texas A&M Aggies at Kyle Field.

When Texas A&M edged Alabama on a Seth Small chip shot field goal, a confluence of Aggie pride and pent-up Texans feelings boiled over into sarcasm towards O’Brien. Here are some of the best reactions.

Full article

This one made me actually laugh out loud! :heh: