Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All Encompassing Case Keenum Thread

legacy_gt

Rookie
sorry if this has been posted already...but i really like case keenum and this article is good. remember yates was on the practice squad too.

Case, "I'm blessed to be where I'm at, obviously," he said. "But content? No. I won't be content to be a backup. I won't be content just being a starter. I won't be content with just playing. I want to be a big part of the team, and I want to contribute and win games and win championships."

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2012/dec/29/keenum-making-most-of-opportunities-on-texans/

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
Yates was on the practice Squad until Matt Schaub was hurt. Remember, Owen Daniels was designated as our third Qb that week against Tampa Bay.
He was inactive but not on the PS. He would have been snagged if he was and the Texans feared that.

As for Case, sorry redbloods but Case will never amount to anything in the NFL. Just another NCAA QB from a spread offense who has no chance as an NFL QB.

legacy_gt

Rookie
He was inactive but not on the PS. He would have been snagged if he was and the Texans feared that.

As for Case, sorry redbloods but Case will never amount to anything in the NFL. Just another NCAA QB from a spread offense who has no chance as an NFL QB.
never amount to anything? i think that's extreme. the texans signed him for a reason.

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
Yates was on the practice Squad until Matt Schaub was hurt. Remember, Owen Daniels was designated as our third Qb that week against Tampa Bay.
He was on the 53 man roster, but never active prior to the Jacksonville game. OD wasn't designated as the third QB against Tampa (the third QB designation actually ended after the '10 season), but because Yates was inactive, OD would have had to be the guy to play if a third QB was needed.

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
never amount to anything? i think that's extreme. the texans signed him for a reason.
Well, I'm not necessarily agreeing with D-T, but the Texans have signed lots of guys to the Training Camp roster and Practice Squad who never amounted to anything. They signed everyone for a reason - sometimes that reason is "warm practice body needed".

Again, hopefully Case will succeed, and there's some moderately positive comments coming out of the Texans offices regarding him, but it's far from a probability at this point.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Well, I'm not necessarily agreeing with D-T, but the Texans have signed lots of guys to the Training Camp roster and Practice Squad who never amounted to anything. They signed everyone for a reason - sometimes that reason is "warm practice body needed".

Again, hopefully Case will succeed, and there's some moderately positive comments coming out of the Texans offices regarding him, but it's far from a probability at this point.
Y'all forget about me already?

Signed
Texans for TD.

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
When talking about Matt Schaub he said

"They're always there to talk through stuff," Keenum said, "and just watching them and the decisions they make on and off the field is big."

I hope he isnt watching the decesions he makes on the field to closely :bubbles:

legacy_gt

Rookie

when it all comes down, we have yet to see case in a full season game. until then, you really can't make any assessment at this time. i don't think case got enough snaps in preseason.

legacy_gt

Rookie

"They're always there to talk through stuff," Keenum said, "and just watching them and the decisions they make on and off the field is big."

I hope he isnt watching the decesions he makes on the field to closely :bubbles:
right?

PapaL

Loose Screw
You'll quickly realize there are 3 factions when it comes to Keenum:

The homers
The haters
The don't care

Homers and Haters fight while the don't care wish they would both shut up.

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
Yeah, public relations. He will NEVER be a pro QB.

Unless the great and powerful Kubiak saw something that the 31 others teams passed on. If he had ANY chance at all someone would have used a 7th round pick on him as a project.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame

Unless the great and powerful Kubiak saw something that the 31 others teams passed on. If he had ANY chance at all someone would have used a 7th round pick on him as a project.
Signed Arian Foster and countless other UDFa starting in the NFL.

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame

Not the best reasoning to use.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
good scout team qb to have around. (long and short of it)

Nobody grooms those guys to take over. When one of those scenario's happen it's the exception, not the rule.

GP

Go Texans!

At this point, maybe Kubiak doesn't really have an unbiased and objective ability to determine which QB should be starting right now?

Other coaches decided to roll the dice on unproven QBs, at the expense of what should have been a more "logical" choice. Those two teams are not exactly floundering like we are right now.

Just sayin'...

Grungo_Taco

Practice Squad
At this point, maybe Kubiak doesn't really have an unbiased and objective ability to determine which QB should be starting right now?

Other coaches decided to roll the dice on unproven QBs, at the expense of what should have been a more "logical" choice. Those two teams are not exactly floundering like we are right now.

Just sayin'...
In all fairness... We do NOT have a Russell Wilson or Colin Kaepernick on our roster.

legacy_gt

Rookie

it's not only kubiak that saw something. there are lots of pro qb's that have played in the nfl that i can see doing worse than keenum that were drafted high (russell, leaf, etc).

we could go on but bottom line is you can't say he won't be successful until he plays. and for the record, keenum is a pro player. he plays on the practice squad and holds a clipboard earning money from the texans even if he hasn't played in a season game. :-)

legacy_gt

Rookie
Ok....32 teams passed on him for 7 rounds.

Better? I just hate the talk of the redbloods, it is as bad as the orange bloods trying to stuff VY down our throats.
the point of the thread was to link an article about one of our 4 qb's. i wasn't trying to stuff keenum down your throat.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
We all sometimes pick lower deck players that catch our eye for some reason or another, and want them to rise to the top. It's human nature. Most of the time those undrafted players dont work out, but once in a while you find a diamond in the coal dust.

No one knows if Case Keenum will work out just yet, but that sure as hell doesn't keep me from rooting for the guy.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Just sayin'...
Apples and oranges.
One of those "other coaches" went with his hand picked guy, Kaepernick, over the guy he inherited, Alex Smith. In fact, Harbaugh gave up two additional picks so he could trade up (from the 13th to the 4th spot) in the second round just to make sure he got Kaepernick. When Smith went down with that concusssion, Harbaugh took that as an opportunity to see what the young man could do. A one-game (maybe two depending on how soon Smith recovered) audition, if you will. He liked what he saw and decided to stay with his guy.

In the other case, Russell Wilson just flat beat out Matt Flynn and Tarvaris Jackson in training camp and preseason to EARN the job. There was no dice rolling; Wilson outperformed the other two guys. Jackson has been in the league a number of years and, while steady, he's not a franchise QB. Matt Flynn cashed in on a couple of stat-happy games when he was piloting Air-Packers (he was 1-1 in those two games). He hadn't really done anything past that. Wilson was a winner at both NC State and Wisconsin and now in the NFL.

Having said all that, it's time for Smithiak to bring in some serious competition for Schaub. No more reclamation projects like Grossman or Matty HotTub. No more camp arms like Yates and John Beck. No more long shots like Case Keenum - and I root for underdogs so I kinda hope he makes it but he's still a long shot.
Spend a first day pick (rounds 1-3) on a quality guy who can be Schaub's successor.

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
Apples and oranges.
One of those "other coaches" went with his hand picked guy, Kaepernick, over the guy he inherited, Alex Smith. In fact, Harbaugh gave up two additional picks so he could trade up (from the 13th to the 4th spot) in the second round just to make sure he got Kaepernick. When Smith went down with that concusssion, Harbaugh took that as an opportunity to see what the young man could do. A one-game (maybe two depending on how soon Smith recovered) audition, if you will. He liked what he saw and decided to stay with his guy.

In the other case, Russell Wilson just flat beat out Matt Flynn and Tarvaris Jackson in training camp and preseason to EARN the job. There was no dice rolling; Wilson outperformed the other two guys. Jackson has been in the league a number of years and, while steady, he's not a franchise QB. Matt Flynn cashed in on a couple of stat-happy games when he was piloting Air-Packers (he was 1-1 in those two games). He hadn't really done anything past that. Wilson was a winner at both NC State and Wisconsin and now in the NFL.

Having said all that, it's time for Smithiak to bring in some serious competition for Schaub. No more reclamation projects like Grossman or Matty HotTub. No more camp arms like Yates and John Beck. No more long shots like Case Keenum - and I root for underdogs so I kinda hope he makes it but he's still a long shot.
Spend a first day pick (rounds 1-3) on a quality guy who can be Schaub's successor.
I don't think anyone can disagree with this. Even the top Schaub supporters.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Better? I just hate the talk of the redbloods, it is as bad as the orange bloods trying to stuff VY down our throats.
OK, so Brady was the 199th player drafted when there was only 31 teams; how many teams passed him up, how many times?

Brady measured in at 211 at the combine as compared to Keenum 208.
His 40 time of 5.28 and high jump of 24.5 (and whatever his long jump was) make Keenum looks like one of the Athens God.

The comparison to VY is simply ridiculous, sorry to say.
You went to the games at Reliant back then and you saw how many VY shirts in the stand? And he was not even a Texans player. How many Keenum shirts have you seen this far?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

I don't know if it's just the homers on Case's case. This league is going more & more towards the passing game & it would make sense that guys like Case would have success now as opposed to just 5 years ago.

& being that Case came from a winning Div-I program only helps. I don't know that Case would/could succeed at this level. I'd love to see what Case would look like in this system, with the talent we've got around him.

I'm not one of the anybody but Schaub guys.... I'm just saying.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Now there seems to be, still, some who talks about Keenum as a spread QB; I just want to make sure that the basics are covered (Papal, you don't need to read further if you don't want to - We've been through this before.)

Keenum came to UH under Art Briles and he split time at starter right away.

Then Briles got an offer to coach at Baylor where he brought his new recruit RG III with him.

RG III ran an option read spread at Baylor under Briles; something Briles added on to his scheme to make use of the athleticism of Griffin.

Now back to Keenum under Briles.
The Cougars were actually much closer to a Pro Offense than the Bears with RG III.

Keenum was under center a whole lot more than you can find RGIII at Baylor.

After Briles left, the Cougars eventually phased out the TE and became more of a spread (like Baylor with Griffin or Okl St. with Brandon Weeden at QB.)

There have been plenty of QBs from college spread systems that were drafted high into the NFL.

In fact, Geno Smith from W. Virginia is another spread QB that might get drafted very high in the upcoming draft.

Also, Keenum was under center a whole whole more than Cam Newton.

So please scratch that system label from your book.

Thank you :)

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

We don't run the spread. Matt Schaub is a system QB.

Just because I call Keenum a system QB doesn't mean I think of him as a spread QB.

& I'm sorry you've got this thing going where you think everyone should agree with you. You should just go ahead & get used to being disappointed.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I don't know if it's just the homers on Case's case. This league is going more & more towards the passing game & it would make sense that guys like Case would have success now as opposed to just 5 years ago.

& being that Case came from a winning Div-I program only helps. I don't know that Case would/could succeed at this level. I'd love to see what Case would look like in this system, with the talent we've got around him.

I'm not one of the anybody but Schaub guys.... I'm just saying.
Now there seems to be, still, some who talks about Keenum as a spread QB; I just want to make sure that the basics are covered (Papal, you don't need to read further if you don't want to - We've been through this before.)

Keenum came to UH under Art Briles and he split time at starter right away.

Then Briles got an offer to coach at Baylor where he brought his new recruit RG III with him.

RG III ran an option read spread at Baylor under Briles; something Briles added on to his scheme to make use of the athleticism of Griffin.

Now back to Keenum under Briles.
The Cougars were actually much closer to a Pro Offense than the Bears with RG III.

Keenum was under center a whole lot more than you can find RGIII at Baylor.

After Briles left, the Cougars eventually phased out the TE and became more of a spread (like Baylor with Griffin or Okl St. with Brandon Weeden at QB.)

There have been plenty of QBs from college spread systems that were drafted high into the NFL.

In fact, Geno Smith from W. Virginia is another spread QB that might get drafted very high in the upcoming draft.

Also, Keenum was under center a whole whole more than Cam Newton.

Having watched Keenum over the years, your posts well summarize why I also believe Keenum given the chance could flourish in this system.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
After watching Seattle all year long, I don't want to hear anymore comments about how Keenum is too short to be successful in the NFL today.

Russel Wilson

Height: 5-11 Weight: 206

Experience: Rookie

TDS/26 INT/10 YDS/3,118 RTG/100.0

GP

Go Texans!
After watching Seattle all year long, I don't want to hear anymore comments about how Keenum is too short to be successful in the NFL today.

Russel Wilson

Height: 5-11 Weight: 206

Experience: Rookie

TDS/26 INT/10 YDS/3,118 RTG/100.0
AND....

He was selected with the 12th pick of the 3rd round.

So, apparently 31 other teams out there had two rounds to draft this QB and they didn't.

But that's only the beginning of this thing.

Pete Carrol had to decide to start Wilson over Flynn, even though Flynn had been paid to be the defacto starter well before the draft occurred.

This is how a front office and a head coach don't let numbers dictate what players hit the field. They had a hunch, they acted on it, and it paid off.

This is not to say that Case Keenum or TJ Yates is a Russell Wilson that the Texans won't let happen...but it does make you wonder why this team isn't shaking the draft tree every year for that QB who can give you more than what your current starter has.

Instead, the token late round QB or UDFA QB is just symbolic. Clipboard holder. A guy who you think would manage a game if he had to enter due to an injury to the starter. I can't imagine why any team would want Matt Leinart, either. Again: Clipboard holder, suitable manager.

There's this mentality in the NFL that you get a starter and you have clipboard QBs who really shouldn't do much more than just maintain and sustain. Why is that? There's a glorification of the NFL QB that I think needs to be put out to pasture and retired. Teams need dynamic production at the QB position.

Hervoyel

BUENO!

Hope you're wrong about that. Nothing is certain yet where Keenum is concerned. I think he either lights things up in camp next year or he's done here. That's about the extent of the rope Kubiak gives these guys.

I think Case Keenum is just Gary's latest project. He's hoping to find that diamond at the bottom of the Cracker Jack box and always has another UDFA or reclamation project going on.

Keenum is getting the same chance they all get. What he does with it will depend on what's between his ears and what kind of competitor he is.

Hervoyel

BUENO!

Not the best reasoning to use.
I dunno, if you think about it that's the exact same reason why Arian Foster will never succeed as a RB in the NFL...... :fingergun:

legacy_gt

Rookie

yeah old thread, but it was still early this 2013 year. Pretty interesting to see the fan views back then.

I knew one day keenum would get his chance. weather he does well or not remains a mystery this sunday but he's not just any NCAA QB from a spread offense. He's our QB this Sunday that a lot of us are rooting for.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
yeah old thread, but it was still early this 2013 year. Pretty interesting to see the fan views back then.

I knew one day keenum would get his chance. weather he does well or not remains a mystery this sunday but he's not just any NCAA QB from a spread offense. He's our QB this Sunday that a lot of us are rooting for.
I think it would have had more sting if you waited until Case was entrenched as the starter.

Dishman

Miss Ya Blue

Nice, yeah, the posts on page 2 were pretty interesting. NFL history is littered with highly drafted busts at QB so I'm not sure why some folks are so adamant on Keenum's draft status. Sure, where someone is drafted is typically an indicator of their potential, but it's just potential and nothing more. What any one players does after they are picked up by a squad is unwritten.

TejasTom

All Pro

You can watch someone hit their thumb with a hammer and know you don't want to do it.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
There's this mentality in the NFL that you get a starter and you have clipboard QBs who really shouldn't do much more than just maintain and sustain. Why is that? There's a glorification of the NFL QB that I think needs to be put out to pasture and retired. Teams need dynamic production at the QB position.
I know this is an old post & I haven't seen GP around lately, but what he's speaking of here I think is more on the QB, not the coach. The coach wants everyone on his team to want to get better, to want to win a championship, to want to be the starter.

It's my opinion that Tj has gotten comfortable being a back-up, & while he says he wants to be a starter, he had two opportunities to make his case & he failed miserably.

I hope Case acts like he wants to be the starter & he backs it up with his play. Starting @home week 9 isn't his & shouldn't be taken for granted. If I were the coach, that's the way I want it. I want him to prove to me he deserves the start in week 9. As good a QB I think Matt Schaub is right now all that means is don't turn the ball over.

I expect Case to take a few licks Sunday. If he fumbles the ball (whether in the pocket, rolling out of the pocket, or going for the Rosencopter) it's over. I know Schaub will not drop the ball when sacked. If he tosses the ball in very bad situations, if he gets rid of the ball because he's scared, it's over. Matt's only tossed it up once that I know of because he was scared.

Kubiak can win games with a QB who takes care of the ball.

Lord Bills

Destruction

sig worthy. thread subscribed.

Vance87

All Pro
I expect Case to take a few licks Sunday. If he fumbles the ball (whether in the pocket, rolling out of the pocket, or going for the Rosencopter) it's over. I know Schaub will not drop the ball when sacked.
No, Matt would much rather fumble the ball by himself when there's no one around him (see Patriots playoff game)