Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All encompassing Bill O'Brien thread

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
They also used Korn Ferry to help in their search (LINK). Coughlin was also among the - reported - candidates for the HC job (also in the link). Article doesn't say who made the hire and why. But I'm thinking [Speculation Alert -->] Coughlin had enough of the sidelines and preferred helping the GM put the team together.

Geez! Nine picks in 2014 and eight picks in 2015, and the usual seven picks in '16 and '17. Coughlin wasn't here until the 2017 season so somebody was doing a decent job in the FO before Tom C. got there
True and they hit on alot of those picks. Caldwell is still the GM and made those picks. Still the jags became better when they became big players in FA. (Jackson/Campbell/Bouye) in the last 2 yrs.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Don't think its been a McNair restricting the GM & he has no problem signing off on spending money. The Watt, Ed Reed & Oz contracts show that. The issue has been with the GM himself & his moves/style..whatever you want to call it.
We will see if they go after premium FA's then I will agree with you.

Only 1 yr (JoJo, Manning) have they gone after premium FA's and they were in the playoffs with 10-6/11-5 seasons. Meanwhile the Jags/Tacks have closed the gap by going after premium FA/trades.

Shishkabob

All Pro
Why did a guy with a 4-12 record this year and a current 6 game losing streak get a 4 year extension? Why not a 1 year extension if anything? Have the Texans given a reason?
gives other coaches peace of mind to taking a job here, and it doesn't matter coaching contracts don't count against anything besides the owners pocket book which mcnair showed with Kubiak he doesn't care if it cost him money of he thinks The coach should go. Kubiak signed an extension after 2012, and then was fired before the 2013 season was up

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
They also used Korn Ferry to help in their search (LINK). Coughlin was also among the - reported - candidates for the HC job (also in the link). Article doesn't say who made the hire and why. But I'm thinking [Speculation Alert -->] Coughlin had enough of the sidelines and preferred helping the GM put the team together.

Geez! Nine picks in 2014 and eight picks in 2015, and the usual seven picks in '16 and '17. Coughlin wasn't here until the 2017 season so somebody was doing a decent job in the FO before Tom C. got there
Yeah you have people here up in arms about how the Texans do things as being dysfunctional but in the same breath praising the Jags when they essentially did what we did, but backwards.

They hired a GM, that GM hired Gus Bradley & failed for 4 years with him. The owner steps in, fires Bradley but retains the GM Dave Caldwell. Dave Caldwell turns around & promotes their offensive line coach & interim HC......Doug Marrone to the HC position...inside job at its finest. Jags fans were livid....

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I wasn't against giving O'Brien another season to see if the chemistry between him and Watson was real. Make O'Brien earn anything longer than a year extension.

A four year extension? That's what football idiots with lots of money do. Calling him a "tremendous leader" is just rhetoric to spin it.

In the end, it all comes down to Deshaun Watson, tho'.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Yeah you have people here up in arms about how the Texans do things as being dysfunctional but in the same breath praising the Jags when they essentially did what we did, but backwards.

They hired a GM, that GM hired Gus Bradley & failed for 4 years with him. The owner steps in, fires Bradley but retains the GM Dave Caldwell. Dave Caldwell turns around & promotes their offensive line coach & interim HC......Doug Marrone to the HC position...inside job at its finest. Jags fans were livid....
I wouldn't discount Coughlin's influence on the team.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I wasn't against giving O'Brien another season to see if the chemistry between him and Watson was real. Make O'Brien earn anything longer than a year extension.

A four year extension? That's what football idiots with lots of money do. Calling him a "tremendous leader" is just rhetoric to spin it.

In the end, it all comes down to Deshaun Watson, tho'.
I don't think you can call it rhetoric DB. If you had players coming out in the media saying slick **** or guys opening up a big can of quit on the field ala Ben McAdoo in NYG I would agree with you but that wasn't the case. The players continued to fight & back that dude. & as cliché as it is for players to back their coach publically, those guys know man. There's only so much you can do with limited talent.

Shishkabob

All Pro
I don't think you can call it rhetoric DB. If you had players coming out in the media saying slick **** or guys opening up a big can of quit on the field ala Ben McAdoo in NYG I would agree with you but that wasn't the case. The players continued to fight & back that dude. & as cliché as it is for players to back their coach publically, those guys know man. There's only so much you can do with limited talent.
I think people are hung up because they see that it is 5 more years, and don't realize that it could very well be just 1 year if Mcnair doesn't like the results. I myself am not sold on Obrien, but after seeing what him and Watson could do, and having the players come out and back him I'm fine with him returning. This last season was a disaster the Texans had 77 different guys play in 1 season. let that sink in for a minute, you can only dress 46 on game day, and not all 46 play usually. the Texans had 31 more players play through the duration of the season than they are even allowed to dress on a game. even if those players were talented which if their a FA at that point they are not, it would be near impossible to put out a good product based on the limited number of things the players can learn in such a short amount of time. This is an excuse I can buy for Obrien, but when the injuries even out if we keep putting up mediocre 9-7 seasons he needs to be shown the door.

ColeThornton

Waterboy
Yeah, b/c that 10 years span in between playoff appearances where they had top 10 draft picks every single frickin' year has nothing to do with their success now. All they did was hired Mike Mularkey....err.......Gus Bradley....err.....Doug Marrone & that put them over the top....yep, you got it all figured out you genius you!

What was it that jerked your chain tex... Was it the "And for all the excuse makers, how ironic it was done out of the AFC South, with a good defensive team and a "trash" quarterback..." Were you one of the ones making the QB excuse? So now it's on to draft picks, lol.

Has it become a reflex action for a "anything is good enough lap dog fan", to fire off the next round of excuses?

And yes, they kept hiring coaches until they got the job done. Of course Jacksonville may not have as many fans like you, so happy to be one of the jokes of the league as long as they've got their excuses lined up.

Last edited:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
What was it that jerked your chain tex... Was it the "And for all the excuse makers, how ironic it was done out of the AFC South, with a good defensive team and a "trash" quarterback..." Were you one of the ones making the QB excuse? So now it's on to draft picks, lol.

Has it become a reflex action for a "anything is good enough lap dog fan", to fire off the next round of excuses?

And yes, they kept hiring coaches until they got the job done. Of course Jacksonville may not have as many fans like you, so happy to be one of the jokes of the league as long as they've got their excuses lined up.
Nothing jerks my chain harder than an idiotic takes and you sir bring those in droves.

BoB getting an extension got you dingbats out in force lol

ColeThornton

Waterboy
Nothing jerks my chain harder than an idiotic takes and you sir bring those in droves.

BoB getting an extension got you dingbats out in force lol
But Tex, you're slipping! Have you only got excuses for Jacksonville? What have you got for the Eagles with their 2nd year coach and back-up QB or the Vikes with Case Keenum. Come on man... the Texan's need your excuses. Tell us why those teams could do it. Draft picks again? Maybe it's time for a new one huh...

And yes, I'm sure you take great comfort in knowing it was McNair who gave the extension. With his track record as an owner there's about a 99% chance he screwed up again.

Last edited:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
But Tex, you're slipping! Have you only got excuses for Jacksonville? What have you got for the Eagles with their 2nd year coach and back-up QB or the Vikes with Case Keenum. Come on man... the Texan's need your excuses. Tell us why those teams could do it. Draft picks again? Maybe it's time for a new one huh...

And yes, I'm sure you take great comfort in knowing it was McNair who gave the extension. With his track record as an owner there's about a 99% chance he screwed up again.
How about this, you tell me your track record of leading anyone anywhere to be a success ....then maybe I’ll take u seriously.

Until then, Mr Thornton, your takes go in the garbage bin my friend.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Not to get in the middle of this,

But what do those teams have that the Texans didn't have this last season?

Above avg OL's and in Philly's case a great OL.

texanhead08

All Pro
I saw these numbers today.

Bill Obriens record against

teams below .500 20-4
.500 teams 3-5
above .500 teams 8-20

He didn't deserve an extension he was just lucky enough the AFC South was garbage the past 3 years.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I saw these numbers today.

Bill Obriens record against

teams below .500 20-4
.500 teams 3-5
above .500 teams 8-20

He didn't deserve an extension he was just lucky enough the AFC South was garbage the past 3 years.
You guys are hoping from 1 foot to the next. Guess what? The division was garbage this year too. It was the only division in football with 2 teams that won less than 5 games.

And the jags couldn’t even dominate it having lost twice to the titans..

Last edited:

ColeThornton

Waterboy
You guys are hoping from 1 foot to the next. Guess what? The division was garbage this year too. It was the only division in football with 2 teams that won less than 5 games.

And the jags couldn’t even dominate it having lost twice to the titans..
But that's the point Mr tex, the Jags did so much more than the Texans did when the only reason they were in the playoffs was because they won that same garbage division. While the Texan's were getting blown out 30-0 at home or beating a wildcard team with a QB making his first start, the Jags went on the road and beat the Steelers to earn a spot in the AFC Championship game. As a Texan apologist I understand a championship game is well beyond your "expectations". But to many of us we expect the Texans to be able to do what the Jags did. We don't simply make more excuses like you.

ColeThornton

Waterboy
Not to get in the middle of this,

But what do those teams have that the Texans didn't have this last season?

Above avg OL's and in Philly's case a great OL.

This isn't just about this year. When I see 3 relatively new head coaches with non franchise QBs in the AFC/NFC championship games my response is why can't we ever do it. It isn't how many excuses can I come up with. I named over 20 coaches that did it in their first 4 seasons just during the Texans history. And here come the excuses QB, QB, QB, QB... not to mention it's the teams fault they didn't have a better QB. So here we go this year with a "trash" QB and two back-ups in the championship games. And you know what, those teams have found other ways to win. The Texans had one the best defenses in the league under O'Brien at one time and what difference did it make. The fact is, Pederson, Zimmer and Marone have now proven they can do something OB can't. When OB has a great defense he can't get there and when he has a young QB better than anything those coaches have had he goes 3-4 with him. This isn't only about this year it's about the last 4 years and the last 17 years. I think after 17 years we have a right to be tired of the excuses.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
But that's the point Mr tex, the Jags did so much more than the Texans did when the only reason they were in the playoffs was because they won that same garbage division. While the Texan's were getting blown out 30-0 at home or beating a wildcard team with a QB making his first start, the Jags went on the road and beat the Steelers to earn a spot in the AFC Championship game. As a Texan apologist I understand a championship game is well beyond your "expectations". But to many of us we expect the Texans to be able to do what the Jags did. We don't simply make more excuses like you.
You have no point b/c it appears you’re incapable of understanding scope and reality. But gone on ahead, keep putting your football ignorance on display, and I’ll continue to sit back and laugh at you.

Honoring Earl 34

Something Witty !
The Jags had lots of high picks and lots of cap money . They did well with both .

ColeThornton

Waterboy
You have no point b/c it appears you’re incapable of understanding scope and reality. But gone on ahead, keep putting your football ignorance on display, and I’ll continue to sit back and laugh at you.
Tex you showed your football acumen when you predicted one of the starting QBs in the AFC Championship wouldn't even make the season as he would be beat out by his back up.

Was that the stupidest prediction this season or did you have others I missed?

banned1976

sleeper mode
Stick to the team, man. Complain about them. Well, complain about O'Brien. That's where your anger resides. Not with the fans with semi-positive attitudes. If those people are your targets, I just don't get it.

As for my own personal relationship with the team, I didn't watch much after Watson got hurt. I knew what to expect and the NFL isn't that important in my life.

ColeThornton

Waterboy
Stick to the team, man. Complain about them. Well, complain about O'Brien. That's where your anger resides. Not with the fans with semi-positive attitudes. If those people are your targets, I just don't get it.

As for my own personal relationship with the team, I didn't watch much after Watson got hurt. I knew what to expect and the NFL isn't that important in my life.
That's a great point, especially if you know which fan was the target first.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Tex you showed your football acumen when you predicted one of the starting QBs in the AFC Championship wouldn't even make the season as he would be beat out by his back up.

Was that the stupidest prediction this season or did you have others I missed?
If i “predicted” that, then it goes right up there with every post you’ve ever made on this message board.

You need to stop dude you’re making yourself look even more like an ass. I wish McNair would’ve given BoB a 10 year extension just to watch your head explode.

ColeThornton

Waterboy
If i “predicted” that, then it goes right up there with every post you’ve ever made on this message board.

You need to stop dude you’re making yourself look even more like an ass. I wish McNair would’ve given BoB a 10 year extension just to watch your head explode.
Would you have wanted a 10 year for Smith too?

Honoring Earl 34

Something Witty !
Earl, if my point didn't get your attention, then why did you respond?
Your ranting about mediocrity and how the jags are great ( they picked 4th overall this year so they've been sucking ) but the bottom line is there's nothing you can do about the owner . If Bob McNair hired Tom Coughlin the Texans would be much better off . You know what Bob never called and asked me about it or about keeping Bouye so what's a fan to do .

ColeThornton

Waterboy
Your ranting about mediocrity and how the jags are great ( they picked 4th overall this year so they've been sucking ) but the bottom line is there's nothing you can do about the owner . If Bob McNair hired Tom Coughlin the Texans would be much better off . You know what Bob never called and asked me about it or about keeping Bouye so what's a fan to do .
Bingo, and Bob's the same guy that just gave OB the "new" 5 year deal and let him help bring in a buddy for GM. How did that work out the last time McNair let his coach bring in a buddy for GM. Like I said days ago, I had great confidence he would screw up again. But guess what. Next year when they go no further than they ever have, they'll be patting themselves on the back, along with tex of course, if they have more than 4 wins. This year was to reset the bar super low so we can start this pathetic cycle all over again.

banned1976

sleeper mode
That's a great point, especially if you know which fan was the target first.
I don't make it a point to read all your posts. They're pretty much cookie cutter material. From the Bull Pen to this board. You have no original content. Criticize and defend your criticisms. That's it. Very boring. You're incapable of looking at more than one side of the coin and anyone who tries to be objective, you just criticize them.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Bingo, and Bob's the same guy that just gave OB the "new" 5 year deal and let him help bring in a buddy for GM. How did that work out the last time McNair let his coach bring in a buddy for GM. Like I said days ago, I had great confidence he would screw up again. But guess what. Next year when they go no further than they ever have, they'll be patting themselves on the back, along with tex of course, if they have more than 4 wins. This year was to reset the bar super low so we can start this pathetic cycle all over again.
Exactly what I was expecting.

I'm going to be honest with you. I can be objective about the team. I don't like everything. Far from it. You can't be objective because the word "objective" is too big for you.

ColeThornton

Waterboy
I don't make it a point to read all your posts. They're pretty much cookie cutter material. From the Bull Pen to this board. You have no original content. Criticize and defend your criticisms. That's it. Very boring. You're incapable of looking at more than one side of the coin and anyone who tries to be objective, you just criticize them.
Like you just admitted... you didn't read the posts, you don't know who started the pejorative criticism.

ColeThornton

Waterboy
Exactly what I was expecting.

I'm going to be honest with you. I can be objective about the team. I don't like everything. Far from it. You can't be objective because the word "objective" is too big for you.
Let me tell you what is objective... "You are what your record says you are". It doesn't get anymore objective than that. That's where my assessment of the Texans begins and ends. It's the rose glasses wearin, unicorn riding, rainbow jumping drug induced fantasies that I'm tired of. Seventeen years without an appearance in the final four, that's an objective fact. I'm not the one having a problem with objectivity.

"You can't be objective because the word "objective" is too big for you."

Weren't we just talking about targets... LOL how about hypocrisy?

Honoring Earl 34

Something Witty !
That's the way Bob operates and everyone here knows it . As fans you still hope through some freakish turn of events , the stars align with Watson becoming all world , JJ gets back to JJ , the OL gets fixed , the secondary gets fixed , the young guys keep improving , and they make a run for it . Probably won't happen but if you don't think it can , why be a fan ?

ColeThornton

Waterboy
That's the way Bob operates and everyone here knows it . As fans you still hope through some freakish turn of events , the stars align with Watson becoming all world , JJ gets back to JJ , the OL gets fixed , the secondary gets fixed , the young guys keep improving , and they make a run for it . Probably won't happen but if you don't think it can , why be a fan ?
Were you just trying to come up with a rose glasses wearin, unicorn riding, rainbow jumping drug induced fantasy example...
because buddy I don't see how you could have done any better if you had tried!

But I'm the one not being objective...

Last edited:

Honoring Earl 34

Something Witty !
Were you just trying to come up with a rose glasses wearin, unicorn riding, rainbow jumping drug induced fantasy example...
because buddy I don't see how you could have done any better if you had tried!

But I'm the one not being objective...
No it's knowing that the Texans , the local team where I live , is stuck in perpetual middle of the road football . I can either be mad and hold my breath , root for somebody else , or find another hobby . People will be mad at first until it gets closer to the draft and they'll liven up . Then OTAs start and we'll feel our pulse race until mini camp . We'll gather all the information we can and wait for training camp and then it starts and new hope abounds . John McLain will tell us how great everyone looks and then reality sets in or we get surprised . Either way Clay walker will be singing for the opening home game .

ColeThornton

Waterboy
No it's knowing that the Texans , the local team where I live , is stuck in perpetual middle of the road football . I can either be mad and hold my breath , root for somebody else , or find another hobby . People will be mad at first until it gets closer to the draft and they'll liven up . Then OTAs start and we'll feel our pulse race until mini camp . We'll gather all the information we can and wait for training camp and then it starts and new hope abounds . John McLain will tell us how great everyone looks and then reality sets in or we get surprised . Either way Clay walker will be singing for the opening home game .
Great post Earl 34, hope springs eternal and there's nothing wrong with being an optimist. I hope all the stars line up some day, but until then, it is what it is.

And Earl, you're a rare commodity for a message board. Someone who can disagree and remain civil and polite. My hat's off to you.

Last edited:

TripleTap

Dead Wood
How about one of you Old Guard types start a New Texans or an O'Brien & Gaine thread and let's put this one to bed. It's way dead.

(edit)

Last edited:

banned1976

sleeper mode
Let me tell you what is objective... "You are what your record says you are". It doesn't get anymore objective than that. That's where my assessment of the Texans begins and ends. It's the rose glasses wearin, unicorn riding, rainbow jumping drug induced fantasies that I'm tired of. Seventeen years without an appearance in the final four, that's an objective fact. I'm not the one having a problem with objectivity.

I'm just saying, if you want to hate on other fans expect that boomerang to come back at you. It happens to steelB all the time but he handles it.

Yeah, none of us are happy about the terrible season. But to me it's fun to discuss how to fix it rather than just bashing on each other, or oozing negativity. I don't agree with everything steelB writes, but he keeps it to the Texans and doesn't make it personal between himself and other members. I respect the heck out of steelb and RedZone. Their opinions are unpopular (sometimes very) but they make them w/o being combative.

Last, I'm sorry about my comment that objectivity is too big a word for you. That wasn't cool.

Last edited:

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
I'm just saying, if you want to hate on other fans expect that boomerang to come back at you. It happens to steelB all the time but he handles it.

Yeah, none of us are happy about the terrible season. But to me it's fun to discuss how to fix it rather than just bashing on each other, or oozing negativity. I don't agree with everything steelB writes, but he keeps it to the Texans and doesn't make it personal between himself and other members. I respect the heck out of steelb and RedZone. Their opinions are unpopular (sometimes very) but they make them w/o being combative.

Last, I'm sorry about my comment that objectivity is too big a word for you. That wasn't cool.
As a chief opponent for both steelbtexan and RZ let me endorse this. We're friends. Steelbtexan and I talked on the phone yesterday. We actually agree on 95+%of things. We just enjoy gnawing on the remainder.

Scooter

Funky
We dropped Kubiak and Wade who went on to win a Supbowl 2 years later. We chose O'Brien over Andy Ried. We waved as Kyle Shannahan passed by. And now we've given O'Brien and his b!tch (err I mean they work well together) Gaine the next 5 years - as Pat Shurmur makes the most of yet another quarterback ... wait isn't that OUR quarterback?

If I make a good enough distraction, do yall think SteelB would give McNair the swift kick he deserves?

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I used to be where you are until I just learned to laugh at Boss Hogg and Lil Enos.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This is how I am every yr.

Until this last yr, when I knew the team was going to suck and all of the SJW stuff.

I'm expecting about the same next yr, because of the lack of premium draft picks. But I'm looking forward to seeing how the team improves itself now that the GM/HC are working hand in hand.

If McNair gets this right and keeps Ricks from sticking his hands in things, this team has a chance to be pretty good in 3 yrs. Watson's health is the main key to the Texans future.

BTW, It's time to kill the song.