Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

All encompassing Bill O'Brien thread

I don't see the point in morgaging future cap space for a player at the end of his career. I think what we need to do now is improve the offence looking forward.
If we were in win-now mode I would just throw money at him, but with our current situation we are looking at at least 2 years with no chance of being really competitive. We should start investing in young guys and draft picks rather than expensive veterans

That's what I think, could be completely wrong
You don't have to mortgage the future. Give DB good money this year and the next with options on a 3rd and 4th year. Incentives if he makes the pro bowl and helps our one of our RBs to 1000 yd season.

Did you hear somewhere that DB wants a long term deal or that he wants top-5 LT money? If its the former, then I tend to agree with you. If its the latter (top-5 LT money) then I'd give it to him.

You don't have to mortgage the future. Give DB good money this year and the next with options on a 3rd and 4th year. Incentives if he makes the pro bowl and helps our one of our RBs to 1000 yd season.

Did you hear somewhere that DB wants a long term deal or that he wants top-5 LT money? If its the former, then I tend to agree with you. If its the latter (top-5 LT money) then I'd give it to him.

You think O'Brien is a terrible head coach but you're OK with the Texans paying Duane Brown whatever he wants? What logical sense does that make? If you think it's all on O'Brien, giving in to DB is going to solve the problem?

I'm not opposed to firing O'Brien, as long as it means an overhaul in the FO and the offense. Giving DB anything at this point is wasted money until the REAL problems are addressed.

This team is going to be 1-6 before we know it. O'Brien will probably be gone at some point this season, but that's only half the battle when you've got a GM that appears to be incapable of the strategic thinking that builds good teams from the ground up.

This team is going to be 1-6 before we know it. O'Brien will probably be gone at some point this season, but that's only half the battle when you've got a GM that appears to be incapable of the strategic thinking that builds good teams from the ground up.

Worst part is that if OB goes, we're still stuck with Smith. Him and McNair finding another HC and rebuilding and who knows what coach may or may not want to have Watson? Going on a challenge to find a new HC and having a condition that they have to like and want to develop some QB that the coach may or may not like is never the right way to run a franchise. Hello, we already ran that failure into the ground when we first hired Kubiak and wanted whatever new HC we were going to hire to be able to fix Carr. The problem was allowing OB to be the OC. The likelihood that it was going to work was such a low % chance after what we've seen, and Smith did OB no favors by doing basically nothing in the off season to really fix the Line problems. I don't know how Savage or Watson were ever going to have a very fair chance. Now we're basically going to be running Watson out there with the same type of Oline that Carr dealt with all over again. Texans always repeating the same mistakes.

Worst part is that if OB goes, we're still stuck with Smith. Him and McNair finding another HC and rebuilding and who knows what coach may or may not want to have Watson? Going on a challenge to find a new HC and having a condition that they have to like and want to develop some QB that the coach may or may not like is never the right way to run a franchise. Hello, we already ran that failure into the ground when we first hired Kubiak and wanted whatever new HC we were going to hire to be able to fix Carr. The problem was allowing OB to be the OC. The likelihood that it was going to work was such a low % chance after what we've seen, and Smith did OB no favors by doing basically nothing in the off season to really fix the Line problems. I don't know how Savage or Watson were ever going to have a very fair chance. Now we're basically going to be running Watson out there with the same type of Oline that Carr dealt with all over again. Texans always repeating the same mistakes.

Preaching to the chior.

Sad isn't it?

Yet very predictable.

9 QBs have taken a snap under Bill O'Brien in 3 years + 1 game. TWICE in the last 3 season openers he's benched the starter. Somebody on radio said it best today, the Texans are run like a freaking college team.

This guy has no freaking clue! People say he gets a job immediately when he's out of here...I just don't see it. He's a horrible talent evaluator, horrible offensive coach, horrible QB "guru", his offense has gotten worse every single year, and though it's just 1 game, it's already continuing that downward trend. I just don't see it.

He's got to go, but it won't make much difference if Smith is still here waiting for QB to be bad for years before addressing it, waiting for OL to be bad before addressing it, this whole football side of the operation has got to change.

Yep. O'Brien came here via Robert Kraft and McNair being friends.

I'm afraid the next head coach, without a GM change (which is very unlikely), will be some retread yes-man like a Lovie Smith that says the right things but will never challenge the front office status quo.

As long as Smith and McNair are tied at the hip, I would never have high expectations for this franchise.

I'm afraid the next head coach, without a GM change (which is very unlikely), will be some retread yes-man like a Lovie Smith that says the right things but will never challenge the front office status quo.

As long as Smith and McNair are tied at the hip, I would never have high expectations for this franchise.

If OB had a good OC to completely control the offense, I think he'd be just fine as a HC honestly. But he has now put his stamp on this situation by demanding to run the offense which took a lot of guts, but will ultimately be a foolish decision for him. Putting that kind of gamble and risk on himself with a rookie and Savage at QB and a busted Oline was a bad risk. Other than that, I agree on everything and I've said it for years. Smith is like a bad omen to this franchise, and I don't even want to get started on Mcnair. He's the owner, so it doesn't matter any way. Go Texans. :mariopalm:

And the reason I don't get my blood pressure up an this game anymore. I am a fan but a stoic fan I guess

I don't know what he wants, basically I just think it's time to think about the future rather than the now.

if we are lucky we can get a good offence in 2 years time, I don't think we will have a competitive team for the time I expect DB to last.

that's a shame, but I don't see how we can get a good offence and keep DB at the same time

again, what do I know about this? next to nothing... just the impression I'm having

If OB had a good OC to completely control the offense, I think he'd be just fine as a HC honestly. But he has now put his stamp on this situation by demanding to run the offense which took a lot of guts, but will ultimately be a foolish decision for him. Putting that kind of gamble and risk on himself with a rookie and Savage at QB and a busted Oline was a bad risk. Other than that, I agree on everything and I've said it for years. Smith is like a bad omen to this franchise, and I don't even want to get started on Mcnair. He's the owner, so it doesn't matter any way. Go Texans. :mariopalm:

BOB was forced into the OC role. IMHO

Just another brick in the wall that Ricky is building to get rid of BOB. Do you think BOB told Ricky all I need to be successful is Watson and the OL is fine and doesn't need ANY upgrades? If BOB said this then he should be fired immediately. BTW, being a HC that has to win this yr, do you think BOB told Ricky we don't need DB in camp?

The dissension between BOB and Ricky runs deep.

I think the best thing we can hope for is that Rick Smith gets promoted to some role where he doesn't have any role in player personnel decisions.
I doubt he is going anywhere. The real problem is we have compouneded the Brocklestein affair with trading away another draft pick and are likely going to go below .500 this season.

McNair really needs to separate himself from Rick Smith. That's the only thing way we can become a winning franchise.

I've been stranded in Dallas since early in the year and haven't been privy to most of what the heck is happening with the Texans.... but, that game was pitiful on Sunday.
The offense looked about as inept as last year but what hurts the most is that the vaunted Def did nothing all day. Can't remember hearing anything of excellence which mentions JJ, or Mercilous or Clowney... ever?
And... then I heard why that may have been.... NEW DEF COORDINATOR. Why would anyone replace/demote/whatever Romeo Crennel?

I have the simple gut feeling that Rac knew what the statistical history said and then looked at the field and opponent and made wise guesses at what personnel and lineups and defensive movements which resulted in sacks, fumbles and interceptions.

It looks like Vrabel just played the book predictive analytics which were on the page in front of him and was afraid of taking defensive chances for those past gains?

What do you think? Does the replacement of Crennel with Vrabel fall at BOB's feet too?

PS - I am a big BOB fan while he was at my alma mater PSU and was originally happy with him coming to H town .... but now I am less sure than before.

Take Care,
merc

I think the best thing we can hope for is that Rick Smith gets promoted to some role where he doesn't have any role in player personnel decisions.
I doubt he is going anywhere. The real problem is we have compouneded the Brocklestein affair with trading away another draft pick and are likely going to go below .500 this season.

McNair really needs to separate himself from Rick Smith. That's the only thing way we can become a winning franchise.
Sadly we have been hoping for this for a few years now

Free agency?????

There really wasn't much help available for the OL in FA this past offseason .... and it'll probably wreck the cap trying to fix this steaming pile of poo this offseason because it isn't just one guy , they need two guards and a tackle assuming Brown is back , otherwise you are looking at FOUR players.

It is that bad.

XSF and Allen are useless as tits on a boar hog. Guacamole , Clark and Lamm are backup material at best and ideally would never see a meaningful snap.

If OB had a good OC to completely control the offense, I think he'd be just fine as a HC honestly. . :mariopalm:

I don't .... He's in way over his head.

His system sucks.

He doesn't adapt his playbook to the skills of his players.

Said he wanted a power scheme and hired a Zone coach .... has the personnel for neither now.

The playbook is too predictable - Run on 1st down. Long developing plays on 2nd/3rd and long .... with a craptastic OL and unsophisticated route combinations that do nothing to help guys get open.

Cant think of a single player that came here and got better , they all regress.

Face the facts , we fired the wrong guy last time - It shoulda been Tricky Rick that was sent packing , it was he who against Gary's better judgement extended a broken Schaub and cost us Manning who wanted to play for Gary .... and probably a couple superbowls.

Tricky Rick has to go along with this monkey playing with a football we call a HC.

I didn't take down my Clorox avatar from the last time .... gonna run with it until these clowns are punted outa here.

His system sucks.

I don't think the system sucks. Other teams run a respectable offense with that system or a version of. His implementation of it sucks.

The combo of OB/RS is disastrous, largely on OB but even more so on RS

Our depth still sucks, our starters for the most part suck, everything about this team other than the 'game day experience' (read cheerleaders and tailgating ) suck.

Even more so after the last showing we had. It'll probably change completely for most if they go beat cinci next Thursday

Even if they start slow and then come on strong and finish with a winning season ( again ) they will be close and just need a piece or two for most on this board. Just the way it is.

( had a lot more to add including the curse of Houston football but my computer just lost it and I ain't typing it again )

this auto draft thing needs to save more often

It truly is frustrating as all get out to watch other teams play offense and think about Obrien's offense. Makes you realize this guy just flat out sucks at creating an offense that works.

Shurmur made Bradford almost perfect. I know it was the Saints D but still....
Siemien played well. Look at Wentz in Philly. Anyone see the TD pass from Rivers to Benjamin tonight? Dude was wide ass open! Replay showed a great route combo and what do you know, WR open for an easy TD.

Nothing you folks don't know already, just venting. Sorry. Not sure why the FO can't see this crap. Frustrating....

Man, I said I want to give O'Brien another chance.
And then to see the players butting their heads with a stupid game plan that exposes their weakness was just incredulous.

The Jags pass rushers kept putting pressure and he kept running plays that ask them to stay back and block.

I really want to know his reasoning for doing so.

Worst part is that if OB goes, we're still stuck with Smith. Him and McNair finding another HC and rebuilding and who knows what coach may or may not want to have Watson?

If they like the way Vrabel handles himself & his defense over the next four months, when all hell's about to break loose, maybe he gets the job.

I doubt many "established" coaches will be interested.

Then they'll just need to find an OC, probably be a few decent established candidates available.

It would be nice if the Texans could develop & retain coaches the way the Patriots & Steelers do.

Regardless what this looks like, I am not trying to defend Rick... fire his ass.

I do agree with you. I thought it was the wrong move for O'Brien to become the OC. I really don't care how good an OC he is, isn't, or can become. I'm more interested in his capacity to become a better head coach & I don't see how this "structure" is going to help that.

That said, that he did this tells me he believes in the guys he's accumulated on the offensive side of the ball. I don't see how, but maybe he can make something out of it... then I'll be very impressed.

Like I said, fire Rick for all I care, but everything I've seen so far tells me give him good coaches, he'll supply the players to field the better offense/defense in the league.

If we had Andy Reid, Mike McCoy, Bruce Arians, or Josh McDaniels we'd have seen more D'Onta Foreman & less Tyler Ervin running between the tackles. We'd have seen more passes out of the backfield & screens to Miller & Ervin. We'd have seen WRs like Hopkins, Miller, & Ellington get wide open. We'd have seen an offense that takes pressure off the QB & OL.

BOB was forced into the OC role. IMHO

Just another brick in the wall that Ricky is building to get rid of BOB. Do you think BOB told Ricky all I need to be successful is Watson and the OL is fine and doesn't need ANY upgrades? If BOB said this then he should be fired immediately. BTW, being a HC that has to win this yr, do you think BOB told Ricky we don't need DB in camp?

The dissension between BOB and Ricky runs deep.

I can definitely see O'Brien saying we don't need to splurge in FA or the draft to find a RT. Looks like they really liked Lamm & it's not unreasonable to think they could find a serviceable RT later in FA...

Davenport looks like the long term bridge between DBrown & our next franchise LT. I just don't think they expected to need that bridge now.

I can see them deciding to move on from Brown now & not give in to his demands. But if that's the case, they probably lowered their win expectations considerably. If the Texans don't win six games this year & neither O'Brien or Smith lose their jobs I'll chalk this up as a board room decision, & Billy is on the board.

I think the only difference between your way of thinking is that you think the problem is Rick & Bob, I think it's Rick, Bob, & Billy.

Ain't none of them who they think they are. Rick isn't Ted Wolfe, Bob isn't Robert Kraft, & Billy is not Bill.

Last edited:
If the Texans don't win 6 games this year and neither Bill O'Brien or Rick Smith lose their jobs, I legitimately think my time as a Houston Texans fan will officially come to a close.

And... then I heard why that may have been.... NEW DEF COORDINATOR. Why would anyone replace/demote/whatever Romeo Crennel?

It looks like Vrabel just played the book predictive analytics which were on the page in front of him and was afraid of taking defensive chances for those past gains?

What do you think? Does the replacement of Crennel with Vrabel fall at BOB's feet too?

Take Care,
merc

Yes, replacing RAC with Vrable falls on Billy. But RAC wasn't demoted, he was promoted.

Regardless what this looks like, I am not trying to defend Rick... fire his ass.

I do agree with you. I thought it was the wrong move for O'Brien to become the OC. I really don't care how good an OC he is, isn't, or can become. I'm more interested in his capacity to become a better head coach & I don't see how this "structure" is going to help that.

That said, that he did this tells me he believes in the guys he's accumulated on the offensive side of the ball. I don't see how, but maybe he can make something out of it... then I'll be very impressed.

Like I said, fire Rick for all I care, but everything I've seen so far tells me give him good coaches, he'll supply the players to field the better offense/defense in the league.

If we had Andy Reid, Mike McCoy, Bruce Arians, or Josh McDaniels we'd have seen more D'Onta Foreman & less Tyler Ervin running between the tackles. We'd have seen more passes out of the backfield & screens to Miller & Ervin. We'd have seen WRs like Hopkins, Miller, & Ellington get wide open. We'd have seen an offense that takes pressure off the QB & OL.

I would really like to believe that the team could scheme an offensive gameplan in a manner that hides how pitiful this OL is....but reality tells me, this OL (The Fainting Goats) is just plain bad and dipping it in a candy coating doesn't hide what's inside.

But, holding true to my handle...OptimisticTexan, the best chance this group would provide success wise to O'Brien and Watson, should he start him....find Bill Yoeman's vaunted Veer Attack Playbook and capitalize with the following lineup:

QB- Watson
RB- Foreman (L Wing)
RB- Miller (R Wing)

LT- Davenport
LG- Su'a-Filo
OC- Martin
RG- Mancz
RT- Giacomini
TE- Lamm

WR- Hopkins
WR- Strong

Or a little strategy:

QB- Watson
FB- Prosch
RB- Foreman
RB- Miller

LT- Davenport
LG- Su'a-Filo
OC- Martin
RG- Mancz
RT- Giacomini
TE- Lamm

WR- Hopkins

It is my understanding, thru many unnamed sources...O'Brien will shift his offensive strategy to include a barely audible, if at all...silent snap count. It appears that the suddenness of the hut-hut bark from the QB was at the heart of the freezing which caused the OL to initially tump over in a very short-term black-out at the moment the ball was hiked. It seems that Martin has been dealing with some kind of audible delays which allowed him to get the ball off before freezing and hitting the turf...locked up.

Texans fans...let's hope that O'Brien has figured this out with the "Silent Snap"!!!!

It is my understanding, thru many unnamed sources...O'Brien will shift his offensive strategy to include a barely audible, if at all...silent snap count. It appears that the suddenness of the hut-hut bark from the QB was at the heart of the freezing which caused the OL to initially tump over in a very short-term black-out at the moment the ball was hiked. It seems that Martin has been dealing with some kind of audible delays which allowed him to get the ball off before freezing and hitting the turf...locked up.

Texans fans...let's hope that O'Brien has figured this out with the "Silent Snap"!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I can definitely see O'Brien saying we don't need to splurge in FA or the draft to find a RT. Looks like they really liked Lamm & it's not unreasonable to think they could find a serviceable RT later in FA...

Davenport looks like the long term bridge between DBrown & our next franchise LT. I just don't think they expected to need that bridge now.

I can see them deciding to move on from Brown now & not give in to his demands. But if that's the case, they probably lowered their win expectations considerably. If the Texans don't win six games this year & neither O'Brien or Smith lose their jobs I'll caulk this up as a board room decision, & Billy is on the board.

I think the only difference between your way of thinking is that you think the problem is Rick & Bob, I think it's Rick, Bob, & Billy.

Ain't none of them who they think they are. Rick isn't Ted Wolfe, Bob isn't Robert Kraft, & Billy is not Bill.

For the record I want them all gone.

Where we differ is I think Ricky is doing everything he can to get rid of BOB. You dont

When you finally reach the (inevitable) conclusion that the replacement, whoever it is will be no better than what you already have in place and could in fact be worse your perspective changes. When you realize that the guy who will do the hiring is in fact the problem your perspective changes.

For years I've thought steelbtexan had an irrational grudge against McNair. Hell, many of us that steelb was retarded! (borrowing a line from Animal House there). Truth is he was like Kurt Russell in "Big Trouble in Little China" after he drank Egg Shen's potion. He could see things other people couldn't see....

McNair's the issue. Always will be and so in the face of that I have nothing to offer. No coach I want to come in and fix everything, no GM I think McNair will hire to replace Rick Smith. It's "Game Over" for Texans fans. This isn't going to end and we aren't going to wake up. The problem at the heart of the problem is in it for life and when he dies that ******* ding-dong of a son of his takes over and that's going to be even worse.

I could care or I could not care. It doesn't make any difference. Without a decent football mind in the building (and we're fresh out of them) we're not going anywhere but to the basement of the AFC South and to an endless string of games where other teams set records and do the unexpected/impossible. We helped run off Kubiak and Wade (I was 100% on board with that too) and we were wrong. Now we're going to pay for it.

When you finally reach the (inevitable) conclusion that the replacement, whoever it is will be no better than what you already have in place and could in fact be worse your perspective changes. When you realize that the guy who will do the hiring is in fact the problem your perspective changes.

For years I've thought steelbtexan had an irrational grudge against McNair. Hell, many of us that steelb was retarded! (borrowing a line from Animal House there). Truth is he was like Kurt Russell in "Big Trouble in Little China" after he drank Egg Shen's potion. He could see things other people couldn't see....

McNair's the issue. Always will be and so in the face of that I have nothing to offer. No coach I want to come in and fix everything, no GM I think McNair will hire to replace Rick Smith. It's "Game Over" for Texans fans. This isn't going to end and we aren't going to wake up. The problem at the heart of the problem is in it for life and when he dies that ******* ding-dong of a son of his takes over and that's going to be even worse.

I could care or I could not care. It doesn't make any difference. Without a decent football mind in the building (and we're fresh out of them) we're not going anywhere but to the basement of the AFC South and to an endless string of games where other teams set records and do the unexpected/impossible. We helped run off Kubiak and Wade (I was 100% on board with that too) and we were wrong. Now we're going to pay for it.
Even if the few dozen of us realize things will never change, there are hundreds of thousand maybe millions of Texans (casual football fans) that we can't get to, unless we take this to social media...

My only "hope" (not really hope, but nothing else to call it) is that we are wrong about Cal. Maybe he sees the way daddy is running things and decides to break from the mold when he's in control. Maybe, just maybe, he's watching other successful teams and the way they handle business. Maybe, just maybe, he hires a competent GM and gets out of the way. This "hope" is based on nothing, though. He could be as boardroom-centered milquetoast as his dad. But, to accept that reality is to just accept that we will be Cleveland Browns South for years to come, and I'd rather just stop watching pro football altogether by that point.

Bud Adams' daughter, Amy Adams Strunk, is not running that franchise the way her dad ran it. So maybe, just maybe. . .

My only "hope" (not really hope, but nothing else to call it) is that we are wrong about Cal. Maybe he sees the way daddy is running things and decides to break from the mold when he's in control. Maybe, just maybe, he's watching other successful teams and the way they handle business. Maybe, just maybe, he hires a competent GM and gets out of the way. This "hope" is based on nothing, though. He could be as boardroom-centered milquetoast as his dad. But, to accept that reality is to just accept that we will be Cleveland Browns South for years to come, and I'd rather just stop watching pro football altogether by that point.

Bud Adams' daughter, Amy Adams Strunk, is not running that franchise the way her dad ran it. So maybe, just maybe. . .
....and then it hits you like a two-ton heavy thing when you remember Rick is baby Cal's godfather, and he ain't going anywhere . At best he'll be elevated to VP or something, but two thirds of the current brain will still be making decisions.

Herv hit the nail on the head. I've said it for several years myself. The root of the problem is at the very tippy top of this organization and I have no confidence in Cal whatsoever. Don't get me wrong. These are good and decent men - but they are clueless as to how to run a football organization, and they aren't seeminlgly willing to learn, change. or adapt. I'm expecting to be dead myself before anything of real substance changes. I may have to haunt those bastards.

Reactions: JB
I don't .... He's in way over his head.

His system sucks.

He doesn't adapt his playbook to the skills of his players.

Said he wanted a power scheme and hired a Zone coach .... has the personnel for neither now.

The playbook is too predictable - Run on 1st down. Long developing plays on 2nd/3rd and long .... with a craptastic OL and unsophisticated route combinations that do nothing to help guys get open.

Cant think of a single player that came here and got better , they all regress.

Face the facts , we fired the wrong guy last time - It shoulda been Tricky Rick that was sent packing , it was he who against Gary's better judgement extended a broken Schaub and cost us Manning who wanted to play for Gary .... and probably a couple superbowls.

Tricky Rick has to go along with this monkey playing with a football we call a HC.

I didn't take down my Clorox avatar from the last time .... gonna run with it until these clowns are punted outa here.

Kubiak had 8 years and for the most part this team sucked under him. He had two really good teams when the team was great on defense with Wade Phillips. If anything I'd say your argument should be that we should have hired Wade then. You don't keep a HC when he's been there for 8 years and has a losing record overall and is coming off a 2-14 season. We've hashed this out before, so it's no reason to go back and forth about it. An argument against OB really should have nothing to do with an ex HC any way. It's a waste of time. What you think of OB, doesn't change anything that happened before him. The discussion is what can they do in the future moving forward. Who would they hire, and why? Who would make the best candidate right away with what pieces the team currently has? Either way, it's one game into the season and there's a lot more football left to play. Personally, I can't think of a lot of HC's on the market that I'm highly interested in for the record. Not right now at least.

If they like the way Vrabel handles himself & his defense over the next four months, when all hell's about to break loose, maybe he gets the job.

I doubt many "established" coaches will be interested.

Then they'll just need to find an OC, probably be a few decent established candidates available.

It would be nice if the Texans could develop & retain coaches the way the Patriots & Steelers do.

I'd be ecstatic to give Vrabel a shot if his defense fares well this year. I have no doubt it will. I'd be all for it. I just got through telling Corrossion that I can't think of any candidate out there that would excite at the moment, but I forgot about our own in house guy. Yeah, I'd be all for giving him a try. With Smith here though, I'm not sure that Vrabel would be the kind of guy he'd want to work with based on how I see Smith as a person.

Rick Smith never should have been hired in the first place. The fact that a first time HC got to pick his boss is single handily one of the dumbest things I've ever seen any football team or much less any business ever do in any field. He's been garbage from the jump, and he's always waiting for the bottom to drop off at a glaring weakness on the field to the point that it's a major problem for the entire team before he properly addresses it. He has no idea how to find QB's, and is still way out of his element.

Rick Smith never should have been hired in the first place. The fact that a first time HC got to pick his boss is single handily one of the dumbest things I've ever seen any football team or much less any business ever do in any field. He's been garbage from the jump, and he's always waiting for the bottom to drop off at a glaring weakness on the field to the point that it's a major problem for the entire team before he properly addresses it. He has no idea how to find QB's, and is still way out of his element.

He has drafted very well early and late. He's picked up more UDFA's that have done well then most I'd say. Middle rounds have been terrible. And his FA acquisitions have been very up and down and mostly down. JJo may be his best.

I have wanted him gone for years. Nothing personal. I like the guy, solid citizen etc. But I don't think he's been good enough as GM.

He has drafted very well early and late. He's picked up more UDFA's that have done well then most I'd say. Middle rounds have been terrible. And his FA acquisitions have been very up and down and mostly down. JJo may be his best.

I have wanted him gone for years. Nothing personal. I like the guy, solid citizen etc. But I don't think he's been good enough as GM.

He's been good in the first round, and after that he's been below average. He sucks miserably in FA. I swear, I seriously can't believe that people are still this drunk and stupid that you guys are still making excuses for this bum as a general manager.

He's been good in the first round, and after that he's been below average. He sucks miserably in FA. I swear, I seriously can't believe that people are still this drunk and stupid that you guys are still making excuses for this bum as a general manager.
To be honest it's really not all that difficult to be good in the first round.

I have no idea how this team has gotten to 9-7 in every season under BO'b with a paper mache O-line and no Qb of any significance. That to me says this team has plenty of talent. I agree there needs to be better depth and the fact that the Qb and O-line have not been addressed properly in what seems like forever and areas of talent aren't blessed with any depth behind them says we need another GM and head coach.

On a side note there is no way the defense with Watt goes without putting pressure on the opposing teams Qb if Vrabel could half ass draw something up. This is going to be a long and painful season and now off season with no picks in the first two rounds.

I'd just assume have the Brock Lobster back considering this season was not going to see a big improvement at the Qb position. Brock had the audacity to be critical of BO'b and there is no doubt who pushed for the trade.

Last edited:
Herv hit the nail on the head. I've said it for several years myself. The root of the problem is at the very tippy top of this organization and I have no confidence in Cal whatsoever. Don't get me wrong. These are good and decent men - but they are clueless as to how to run a football organization, and they aren't seeminlgly willing to learn, change. or adapt. I'm expecting to be dead myself before anything of real substance changes. I may have to haunt those bastards.

Sadly, I think there will be a great many of us haunting them

Vrabel isn't impressing me yet. His defense got smacked around by a rookie RB and Schnake Schnortles without his best WR!

No pressure, no physicality. No timing. He needs to get better.
Rookie jitters for Mike Vrabel making his debut as defensive coordinator. He even said himself earlier today that he knows he can coach better. He looked overmatched and didn't make any halftime adjustments. I'm hopeful we'll see him with a better defensive game plan on Thursday Night.

Back