Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

AFC South

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Reading these threads reminds me why i check out on this board for the 1st 2-3 days after a loss
You're right about this. I'm the worst. Come Wednesday I'm going to be offended Baltimore is favored to win in Houston.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
If I'm not mistaken, that was a 9 minute 16 play drive. Pointing to that drive is pointing at the defense.
Exactly 9 minutes 16 plays. That's almost unheard of & is in stark contrast to how they ran a track meet on us in the playoff game with at least a few TD drives barely over 2 minutes.

badboy

Hall of Fame
The Texans under BoB with DW4 have ALWAYS learned, but chemistry, timing......all that stuff takes time to develop.

Fans around here are funny though. They’re willing to give other teams leeway when it comes to all that when they’re expecting them to be good. Example, THe Bucs. Everyone expected that they’d come out putting up 50 ppg with TB12 AND Gronk and all of those other weapons. Most of the fans here along with the ESPN talking heads automatically annointed them as SB Faves. Well today, Bucs lose in week 1 with a forgettable offensive showing...TB12 and all those guys come out looking rather average, then it’s “oh they just need time to get their timing down, bunch a new pieces, chemistry doesn’t happen overnight, they’ll get it together!”

When it comes to the Texans for fans around here tho? that same leeway isn’t afforded our guys even though they’re working through some of those same challenges trying to work in new weapons with Johnson, Cooks and Cobb and a new playcaller. Some here expected them to have everything down right out of the gate and to be humming like they’re in midseason form already. Anything short of that is “inexcusable!”

Y’all gotta make up y’all’s mind. It either matters or it doesn’t.
for me Tom Brady has a much longer history correcting from week to week . The media were after the clicks that Brady brings whenever he steps on field. All Watson and Texans have to do is win like Tom and Patriots did and all will be well in fandom.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
for me Tom Brady has a much longer history correcting from week to week . The media were after the clicks that Brady brings whenever he steps on field. All Watson and Texans have to do is win like Tom and Patriots did and all will be well in fandom.
The Pats under Belichick are notorious slow starters coming out the 1st few weeks & the Texans have mostly mirrored that. The major difference is the Pats floor is much higher than ours. They go from a floor of just being a playoff team to a roof of winning the SB...Our floor under BoB has typically been top 15 pick in the draft to 1st/2nd playoffs... :fingergun:

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm on record for cleaning house BOB/DW4/The waterboy after 51-7.
It won't matter as long as the McNair$ are running this marketing company.

It's very clear that ownership matters in the fundamental success of championship-caliber teams.

The McNairs will never win a dern thing in this league. Their history reveals that they are either unable or incapable of hiring the right people to run their franchise.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
The Texans under BoB with DW4 have ALWAYS learned, but chemistry, timing......all that stuff takes time to develop.

Fans around here are funny though. They’re willing to give other teams leeway when it comes to all that when they’re expecting them to be good. Example, THe Bucs. Everyone expected that they’d come out putting up 50 ppg with TB12 AND Gronk and all of those other weapons. Most of the fans here along with the ESPN talking heads automatically annointed them as SB Faves. Well today, Bucs lose in week 1 with a forgettable offensive showing...TB12 and all those guys come out looking rather average, then it’s “oh they just need time to get their timing down, bunch a new pieces, chemistry doesn’t happen overnight, they’ll get it together!”

When it comes to the Texans for fans around here tho? that same leeway isn’t afforded our guys even though they’re working through some of those same challenges trying to work in new weapons with Johnson, Cooks and Cobb and a new playcaller. Some here expected them to have everything down right out of the gate and to be humming like they’re in midseason form already. Anything short of that is “inexcusable!”

Y’all gotta make up y’all’s mind. It either matters or it doesn’t.
What I'm most disappointed in is the offensive line. I think it's the first time in the OB-era that all 5 starters are remaining the same from the previous season. I was expecting them to play ALOT better than they did. Very discouraging that we're still watching similar problems a BOB coached team has been having in regards to pass-pro.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
What I'm most disappointed in is the offensive line. I think it's the first time in the OB-era that all 5 starters are remaining the same from the previous season. I was expecting them to play ALOT better than they did. Very discouraging that we're still watching similar problems a BOB coached team has been having in regards to pass-pro.
I'm glad you brought this up b/c I was going to touch on this as well. Even though this OL is the first in OB's career to be brought back in-tact for a second season.....it was only on paper. This unit had little time together in 2019 since injuries decimated the unit. Tunsil didn't arrive early enough to have a full off-season so he got acquainted in season. COVD-19 tossed the 2020 off-season out the window so there wasn't any real time to mesh as a unit. First game shows this unit as still being poorly coached and operating within a scheme they do not excel in. I've said it before and I will say it again....."the talent on this OL isn't conducive for a power blocking scheme, this unit looks like they could excel in a ZBS". This is just my observation but the skill-set of this entiire offense does not work with the EP System.

So, where does the disconnect lie? The best OB's offense has looked during his entire time as the Texans HC/OC was Watson's 6 game rookie stretch. How did this happen? Watson was an emergency replacement and b/c OB was fairly certain Watson hadn't completely mastered his offense, he modified the offense and incorporated things Watson had used in Clemson. Just like that, the Texans and Watson became a scoring juggernaut for that short but brief period of time. The change in his second season results had nothing to do with NFL defenses suddenly having film on Watson b/c by the second and/or third game in his rookie season, DC's had enough film to make the necessary adjustments at the NFL level.

When it was time for Mahomes to take the reins in KC, Reid was smart enough to adjust his offense to Mahomes strengths versus forcing him to run Smith's version of his offense. Look at NE......Belichick obviously had no desire for McDaniels to cram Newton into Brady's shoes. They modified their offense to Newton's strengths and the Patriots didn't skip a beat. Almost looked like Cam had been in that offense for a few seasons, not his first game with little off-season. For whatever reason, OB couldn't set his pride aside and go back to the drawing board with his offense and modify it to take advantage of what Watson brought to the table in those first six games. Massive blunder on OB's part.

Better yet, anyone care to remember how that 6 game stretch improved a truly putrid OL. They were still below mediocre but they weren't putrid. That putrid OL came roaring back the moment Watson went down for the season......hence 4-12.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yep, Devlin should've been fired 2 yrs ago. The OL issues aren't talent related, they're totally scheme/coaching related.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It won't matter as long as the McNair$ are running this marketing company.

It's very clear that ownership matters in the fundamental success of championship-caliber teams.

The McNairs will never win a dern thing in this league. Their history reveals that they are either unable or incapable of hiring the right people to run their franchise.
Quoted for truth

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Watching this titans Broncos game...Clowney looking average..as usual.

Titans in general don’t look like anything.
I wish that "average" player was on our defense.

But I agree, Titans not looking great tonight, even though they'll probably eek this game out.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Ugh... I was hoping Titans would lose because of a missed Gostkowski FG.

Broncos screwed up alot of opportunities to win this one. Would have been funny to see the Jags at #1 after Week 1.

The Pats under Belichick are notorious slow starters coming out the 1st few weeks & the Texans have mostly mirrored that. The major difference is the Pats floor is much higher than ours. They go from a floor of just being a playoff team to a roof of winning the SB...Our floor under BoB has typically been top 15 pick in the draft to 1st/2nd playoffs... :fingergun:
Pats are 8-2 for season openers the last 10 years. And only twice in that same 10 year period did they reach a 1-2 start in the first 3 games. Pats may be one of my most loathed teams but unprepared is not a trait associated with Belichek. Conversely, it's so ingrained in BOBs reputation that the joke's been that he does better with short weeks and LESS time to gameplan.

LikeMike

Veteran
Since this is the AFC South thread - every team looked bad. The Jags looked the best of the bunch, but they also have the worst roster. At this pace it looks like the Texans don't need to be worried about anyone but themselves. This doesn't look as half a a good a division as many media pundits made it out to be...

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Pats are 8-2 for season openers the last 10 years. And only twice in that same 10 year period did they reach a 1-2 start in the first 3 games. Pats may be one of my most loathed teams but unprepared is not a trait associated with Belichek. Conversely, it's so ingrained in BOBs reputation that the joke's been that he does better with short weeks and LESS time to gameplan.
Only in the minds of "fans" like you who are so delusional about what they think they know, they convince themselves that every thing that doesn't happen like they think it should is some sort of foreboding sign about the coaching staff & the teams' skills and professionalism. All winning your season openers really says is maybe you can win a game you're not supposed to win...............if you have months to prepare for it. That's it. no more no less. As i'm sure you know however, you don't get months to prepare for every game from here on out. Such a silly assertion you and a few others make b/c we all know its not really how you start, its how you adjust throughout the season & finish. Our 2018 and 2019 seasons are testaments to that.

So........tell me again how winning that critical 1st game worked out for us in 2010 under Kubiak & 2016 when we were "so prepared"?

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Texans 2-3. This wouldn't be the season to tank, for we'ed just be tanking for somebody else.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Since old buddy brought the 2018 season up without doing any research.

1st game: 167 yards rushing
2nd game: 148 yards rushing
3rd game: 59 yards rushing

Grand total: 374

1st game: 118 yards rushing
2nd game: 51 yards rushing
3rd game: 29 yards rushing

Grand total: 198 yards rushing

Next fact check before trying to call someone out please sir. We had a better running game than this crap.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Ranked 8th in the league in yardage with Miller, Blue, and Watson.
What's more important, in 405 combined touches (including catches), the two backs recorded just one fumble.
Not after the first 3 games

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Titans are 3-0
Colts 2-1
Jags 1-2
Texans 0-3

Texans have, by far the fewest amount of points and given up (by far again) the most points in the division.

Not looking too good.
Texans have also played the hardest schedule in the NFL so far.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Since old buddy brought the 2018 season up without doing any research.

1st game: 167 yards rushing
2nd game: 148 yards rushing
3rd game: 59 yards rushing

Grand total: 374

1st game: 118 yards rushing
2nd game: 51 yards rushing
3rd game: 29 yards rushing

Grand total: 198 yards rushing

Next fact check before trying to call someone out please sir. We had a better running game than this crap.
Against 3 of the best defenses in the NFL. Who did they play the first 3 games in 2018?