Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

abc13 - peyton wants to be a texan coming up in sports

Isn't Bob Allen the guy that 13 is releasing, and under those circumstances wouldn't he maybe do something out of desperation to keep his job like maybe make a huge yarn up out of whole cloth to spike his ratings ?

Umm no. Bob Allen is the senior sports director for channel 13 and has been with the station for about 40 years (which is the longest tenure of any local sportscaster in the country)... He's retiring.

Sad-Keanu-.jpg

I don't understand how the passing game changes w Manning. QB still takes the snap and throws the ball to the open WR while the OL blocks. We're talking about potential the most cerebral QB in the history of football. So we lose the QB sneak. Big deal. Schaub vs Manning in a foot race...no one would care. They're both both slow. Manning has one of the best play action fakes in the league, all without a run game. Plus he won't have to face the best D in the division AND Mathis and Freeny are probably gone too.

Yeah, I'd sign him and leave Schaub and his busted foot on the bench healing. Can't have enough QBs.

Can you imagine the national TV games we would get next year?

Manning vs. Rogers

Manning vs. Brady

Manning vs. Tebow

Manning vs. Luck X 2

Another thing to ponder. Would 33-year-old unrestricted free agent Reggie Wayne also come to Houston if Peyton Manning does? I think that would be knocking down two birds with one stone and Rick Smith would win GM of the year if it all leads to a Super Bowl 47 victory in the Superdome. He's already good friends with Andre Johnson. Helped recruit him to the Miami Hurricanes if I recall an in-depth feature being done back in 2003 by ESPN when Houston drafted Andre.

We need a Monica lewinski incident. How about this? Trade Schaub for the 6 th pick. Trade the 6th and our first or second to move up and draft RG111. Sign manning to be RG's mentor for the next few years. Make a huge trophy cabinet to hold all our Lombardi trophies.

Another thing to ponder. Would 33-year-old unrestricted free agent Reggie Wayne also come to Houston if Peyton Manning does? I think that would be knocking down two birds with one stone and Rick Smith would win GM of the year if it all leads to a Super Bowl 47 victory in the Superdome. He's already good friends with Andre Johnson. Helped recruit him to the Miami Hurricanes if I recall an in-depth feature being done back in 2003 by ESPN when Houston drafted Andre.
espn said that if Manning goes to Washington Wayne would follow so you idea is possible. Why would Peyton want to play for skins? Yuck.

Can you imagine the national TV games we would get next year?

Manning vs. Rogers

Manning vs. Brady

Manning vs. Tebow

Manning vs. Luck X 2
Eli Manning and the Giants just won their second Super Bowl in four years a little over a week ago and the entire football world is talking about Peyton Manning and the Houston Texans right now. I'm ready to see ESPN going nuts tomorrow morning, especially Skip Bayless.

I absolutely love it!!!!!! This is what the off-season should be about. Talking about the Texans winning a Super Bowl and possibly adding one or two future Hall of Famers -- which is usually what happens to the elite teams. Great players want to play on great teams loaded with talent. This is a great opportunity for the Texans to win a Super Bowl or two during the next three years.

No more talking about which player we can draft with our top 10 pick. Those days are over. Picking 26 this year and we should be picking 32 next year. Just out of curiosity, what type of draft pick could the Texans get for Schaub who is coming back from a season-ending foot surgery? I'm not sure he could net us a first-round pick under the circumstances.

Just the excitement and buzz I feel with the Houston Texans right now. It reminds me of the 2003 Major League Baseball off-season (prior to the 2004 season starting), when the Astros signed Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte. That would best compare the situation of adding players the caliber of Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne.

Don't want him.
Don't need him.

Love it, though. The worm has turned. We are a desired spot for veterans interested in success.

Yeah, and only if we got money to welcome them. Remember how it used to be? FA players used us as leverage to jack up their price. Now that we are contender, they all seem to be interested in us. I guess you can say that it all comes with success.

Go Texans!!!

Eli Manning and the Giants just won their second Super Bowl in four years a little over a week ago and the entire football world is talking about Peyton Manning and the Houston Texans right now. I'm ready to see ESPN going nuts tomorrow morning, especially Skip Bayless.

I absolutely love it!!!!!! This is what the off-season should be about. Talking about the Texans winning a Super Bowl and possibly adding one or two future Hall of Famers -- which is usually what happens to the elite teams. Great players want to play on great teams loaded with talent. This is a great opportunity for the Texans to win a Super Bowl or two during the next three years.

No more talking about which player we can draft with our top 10 pick. Those days are over. Picking 26 this year and we should be picking 32 next year. Just out of curiosity, what type of draft pick could the Texans get for Schaub who is coming back from a season-ending foot surgery? I'm not sure he could net us a first-round pick under the circumstances.

Just the excitement and buzz I feel with the Houston Texans right now. It reminds me of the 2003 Major League Baseball off-season (prior to the 2004 season starting), when the Astros signed Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte. That would best compare the situation of adding players the caliber of Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne.

Skip is on vacation. He might weigh in via twitter though.

Has Payton been a GREAT QB .... dang straight he has been. Is he still ..... Maybe. However, IMO he is the wrong type of QB for our offense. While no one will mistake Schaub for Mike Vick when running the rollout, but in comparison Payton is a stump. The rollout, naked boot etc are a huge part of this offense and I don't see Payton being able to run that part of our offense and I don't see Kubes changing his offense to acomodate Payton. I doubt very much this will happen. Way to much of a disruption of what we have been doing and Kubes is very loyal to "His guys".

More than likely, if Peyton Manning came to Houston then Matt Schaub would be traded to the Redskins. They run the same offensive system as the Texans, Mike Shanahan and Kyle Shanahan would love to have Schaub, his former offensive coordinator who he became good friends with. Washington would be the best possible place for Schaub to go.

As I mentioned in my last post, I'm not sure we can get a first-round pick for Matt Schaub since he's coming off the foot injury, but what about a second or third-round pick plus an additional pick? Washington has some good picks so they'd be a good trading partner when it comes to a trade.

He's going to demand some serious money, which means we'd have to trade or release one of our better players. Schaub is a good QB and knows this system. Peyton would come in and have to learn the system and no one knows if he can do well in Kubiak's offense. And then there is the question if he will be able to last a season with his neck injury.

3 years ago, I think everyone mortgages their house, car, and kids to get Peyton. Today, I really think the Texans should pass and continue to build with what they have and through the draft. We are in the AFC championship game or even the Super Bowl this year with Schaub. We have the same pieces coming back and I think we make a big splash next year if we just sign our vets, draft well and stand pat without any major shakeups.

I don't know if he will end up making that much money. He wants to play for a winner, we know that much. How many offers will have have on the table from teams who are only a QB away from making a playoff run? I agree with those who have said the chances are slim, but I do think it is something we should pursue. The last thing I want is to see a wasted year if Schaub can't get healthy and TJ isn't able to step up.

I do agree with you though that we shouldn't be sacrificing our future in order to make this happen. I would only do it if Manning agreed to a contract that allowed us to still sign our own guys. If thats not possible, continue on with Schaub.

I posted earlier that Washington might give it's #8 for Schaub. They have to get a QB and I don't see Manning going there regardless of $ unless no one else makes a bid. Cleveland seems to be making noise about trading up to #2 for RG3 leaving Washington with Tannehill? If we got a healthy Manning, good price and the #8? Whew

I posted earlier that Washington might give it's #8 for Schaub. They have to get a QB and I don't see Manning going there regardless of $ unless no one else makes a bid. Cleveland seems to be making noise about trading up to #2 for RG3 leaving Washington with Tannehill? If we got a healthy Manning, good price and the #8? Whew
Agreed. It makes a lot of sense when you really think about it. The Redskins' coaching staff would love to have Matt Schaub. Maybe they are willing to part with a first-round pick after all. I guess time will tell. We've still got an entire month before the Colts release Peyton so there will be time to digest all of the possible trades and scenarios (the health of the players), well before the 2012 NFL Draft.

In case Manning joins Texans, your trading scenario makes sense to me. With Mario situation and all, with that pick we should be able to do a lot with it. Like trading back to stock pile early picks or find Mario replacement in the future, fill needs like WR and so on. Only concern to me is Manning's health condition.

Go Texans!!!

I can't believe people are saying even if Peyton wasn't healthy he doesn't match our system..? Really?! You wouldn't take one of the best QBs ever (this is all assuming he is able to play) because he "doesn't fit our system"? Are these the same people who said 3-4 wouldn't work?

Before everyone get's too dang excited (or in my case, disgusted), answer me this. Why didn't we hear this from Peyton or his agent?

Why is this coming from "a source"? Does this "source" have a name? In what context was this info extracted? How reliable is this "source"? How is it that Bob Allen broke this and not some ESPN or NFLN rumor-mongerer?

I won't believe this, much less get worked up about it, until I see Peyton or his agent, on camera, making an official statement.

And, for the record, this will definitely be a McNair decision. ....just like the call that brought Wade here.

I say do it look guyz everyone fails to mention schaub is coming off a major injury has well prob career ending IMO

bottom line if it was old school playground football and u were pickin players i would pick Peyton manning over schaub anyday healthy or not even manning at 70% is better then schaub

bottom line is Manning & schaub both prob only have 2-3 more years has a starter if they played here in houston IMO maybe longer depending on how things play out

and our window for winning OUR "FIRST" SB ever in this city has a window of only 3 more years IMO

Seriously though if Peyton were just straight up released and we could work him out and see what is there...it's hard to pass up on that. You'd get Peyton, trade Schaub for some good picks to replace Mario (since you'd have to release him to get the cap)

A healthy Peyton with this defense is as close to a lock to a superbowl appearance that you are going to get. Think we'd be the clear cut favorites and maybe he has 2-4 years left in him.

But man the neck scares me. I keep thinking one good hit and it'll be over for him and would rather just keep Schaub.

Some are forgetting one little detail, Matt Schaub is not healthy either and the Texans have no idea if coming off that foot injury if Matt will ever be healthy. From what I have read about that foot injury Schaub suffered, it has the potential to end careers because the foot is never the same.

Now IF Manning can play and is healthy, and IF he is willing to be cap friendly, you at least talk to him. Peyton Manning can run ANY system he is given, he is Peyton Manning, and he would put in the time. Manning can run boot legs, seen him run them in Indy.

Here is something else to ponder, who would you rather have a young QB, weather it Yates or whomever, learning under? A QB that cannot stay healthy or a Hall of Famer?

Like Bob Allen said, a lot of moving parts…

Here is a good thing that comes out of Manning though.

We all know that TJ is the future starter for the texans. With manning there he can teach Yates, and yates may benefit from it.

Who knows though.

I agree with this. This would be the reason I would want Peyton here. So that Yates can see how he prepares. Also Peyton is a natural leader and his work ethic would go hand in hand with our current team.

Payten Manning is not going to play football in Houston, unless he's on the visiting team. This is just offseason chatter.

I think after this past season, it has to at least be looked at as an option. I'm not trying to go another season with Yates if Schaub goes down.

However something makes me think that Manning is saying this so that The Colts don't release him.

For all the people so excited about getting "the best QB evar!", just ask yourself.... why would the Colts release the face of their franchise for the past 10+ years, the QB who took them to the Super Bowl, the guy who people are saying is "the best QB evar!" and someone who obviously wanted to finish his career in Indy? And it's not because they need the money.

Which ever team signs Manning needs to realize they aren't getting the SB Manning from a few years ago. They are getting the injured neck, hasn't played in a year and is just now starting to throw again Manning whose best years are way behind him.

Before everyone get's too dang excited (or in my case, disgusted), answer me this. Why didn't we hear this from Peyton or his agent?

Why is this coming from "a source"? Does this "source" have a name? In what context was this info extracted? How reliable is this "source"? How is it that Bob Allen broke this and not some ESPN or NFLN rumor-mongerer?

I won't believe this, much less get worked up about it, until I see Peyton or his agent, on camera, making an official statement.

And, for the record, this will definitely be a McNair decision. ....just like the call that brought Wade here.

Peyton or his agent can't make comments about playing for other teams until he's a free agent. The league would think tampering has taken place.

Payten Manning is not going to play football in Houston, unless he's on the visiting team. This is just offseason chatter.

If this kinda garbage is going to grow legs this early in the offseason... It's going to be a freakin' LOOOOONG offseason!

:facepalm:

Mannings last screw you to the Texans sign with with Texans eat up cap space have Texans trade away Schaub and then Manning retires due to injury ultimately taking the Texans out of playoff contention. Now this is a worst case scenario.Best case Manning comes and leads Texans to promised land.

For all the people so excited about getting "the best QB evar!", just ask yourself.... why would the Colts release the face of their franchise for the past 10+ years, the QB who took them to the Super Bowl, the guy who people are saying is "the best QB evar!" and someone who obviously wanted to finish his career in Indy? And it's not because they need the money.

Which ever team signs Manning needs to realize they aren't getting the SB Manning from a few years ago. They are getting the injured neck, hasn't played in a year and is just now starting to throw again Manning whose best years are way behind him.

If the colts didnt owe manning this huge lump sum payment coming up the colts and manning wouldnt even be a topic. The current contract is why this is coming up at all

If the colts didnt owe manning this huge lump sum payment coming up the colts and manning wouldnt even be a topic. The current contract is why this is coming up at all

If it was just the money, they would have restructured his contract.
The Colts would be willing to pay more than most teams for a fully healthy Manning. I don't know why people are so anxious dump a good younger QB to take the old injured scraps of another team.

If he wants to play for the minimum for the chance to get another ring, great. If not, no way do we completely hamstring our flexibility this year to sign him. It's just not worth the huge risk considering his injury status. Can you imagine the blowback if we trade Schaub and sign Manning and then he gets hurt in the 1st game and we're back with TJ for another season. We'd never recover and this is not going to happen.

If it was just the money, they would have restructured his contract.
The Colts would be willing to pay more than most teams for a fully healthy Manning. I don't know why people are so anxious dump a good younger QB to take the old injured scraps of another team.

Okay I will add another detail that was missed. The colts have to decide now if they want to pay Manning 28MM right now and then see if he can fully recover oh yeah and they are going to draft Luck.

I think after this past season, it has to at least be looked at as an option. I'm not trying to go another season with Yates if Schaub goes down.

However something makes me think that Manning is saying this so that The Colts don't release him.

I wonder what it is about the words "rookie mistakes" that some seem incapable of comprehending?

As much as he wants to come here, I just dont see it happening. Kubiak is a loyal guy, I cant see him telling Schaub hit the bricks.

I wonder if some people think that in year two Yates is somehow going to be someone he wasnt last year ?

And there are some. Why would that be illogical, given additional experience and how Kubiak works with quarterbacks?

Kubiak is grooming Yates to be our future starting QB, and he will be the starter next season when Schaub can't go with that foot.

And there are some. Why would that be illogical, given additional experience and how Kubiak works with quarterbacks?

Kubiak is grooming Yates to be our future starting QB, and he will be the starter next season when Schaub can't go with that foot.

If Schaub isnt able to start the season, Yates will not be the starter

But man the neck scares me. I keep thinking one good hit and it'll be over for him and would rather just keep Schaub.

This is what I think every team is afraid of. And I just don't think the risk is worth it. Especially when there's no promise he'll come back physically able to do what he used to do.

Plus, will Kubiak really give him as much control as he wants?

Back